Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

The Premier League might be entertaining but the quality is very poor. Premier League sides wouldn't be competitive in La Liga, Bundesliga or even Serie A based on their poor performances in Europe over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Korat wrote: »
    The Premier League might be entertaining but the quality is very poor. Premier League sides wouldn't be competitive in La Liga, Bundesliga or even Serie A based on their poor performances in Europe over the last few years.

I'm not a fortune teller but logic dictates that the quality will improve, and not just because of the usual ups and downs various teams have.

Football is a global entertainment business. The PL will have 5/6 of the worlds best managers all in the same place, all spending money and all pushing similar teams towards a title. It will be a marketing dream, especially when the competition will be a bunch of one/two team leagues doing the same old same old.

Todays footballers love their image rights and they won't be able to ignore the fact that the eyes of the world won't be on Bayern or PSG winning by 20 points, they will be on 5/6 big UK clubs scrapping neck and neck for a title. Add in the fact that the UK clubs can now afford to buy anybody they want and I have no doubt that very soon the big name players will find their way here.

Everything else will follow from there, I'm pretty confident that within 4/5 seasons you will see 3/4 english clubs all in the later stages of the CL, just as you did in the last decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Real madrid making lvg look good tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Been a good week for him really, Bayern made him look a bit more respectable last night :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

We may have a crap team but thank God we have no1 quiet like marcello he is unreal.

The defending tonight has been nothing short of hilarious from both City and PSG.

Atrocious from both teams, Ibra playing a bit better in the second half, Di Maria, Matuidi, Aurier....still cat.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Brinty just gone running across the pitch in the madrid game.

Delighted with this City game, really hope they can hold on, or maybe even get another. The more distractions they have and realistic hope of getting through to the next round the better for us.

Delighted with this City game, really hope they can hold on, or maybe even get another. The more distractions they have and realistic hope of getting through to the next round the better for us.

This is their coming of age game isn't it? If they come threw this round they are finally one of the top teams in Europe.

The madrid game is pretty good too the Germans have a great atmosphere going. It's hard to believe they were the bottom seed in our group.

• Advertisement

Ill watch the Madrid game after, our group companions did Louis proud tonight alright :) Even better then last night!

Pellegrini has to go all out for the CL really, he is on the way out and doesn't have to concern himself with where City finish in the league. They are obviously never going to win it, but the longer they are involved the better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Hopefully Zizou turns that result around in the 2nd leg otherwise his head will be on the chopping block and Madrid could well have Mourinho back on their radar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

pity about City being against West Brom in the league next. They are bound to rest players but their 2nd string should beat West Brom and especially at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

TheTownie wrote: »
    Hopefully Zizou turns that result around in the 2nd leg otherwise his head will be on the chopping block and Madrid could well have Mourinho back on their radar.

I actually think they will have a look to Pochetino if it goes tits up with Zidane for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Would Pochettino jump if Real came sniffing or stick with Spurs? He's still a relatively new manager and is doing a good transition at Spurs. He knows if he gets on any sort of bad run like Rafa was he would be out the door and it might set his career back a lot. The probability is he would go but I don't think its super clear cut in his situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

jayo26 wrote: »
    We may have a crap team but thank God we have no1 quiet like marcello he is unreal.

As in you don't rate him?!? Top 3 left back in the world...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Playing against good opposition in the champions league only improves the team and make competition at training even better as players want to be involved in the later stages of the champions league so they could go on a run in league. I would rather psg knock them out so their season will fizzle out and players start thinking about holidays as most know they won't be there next season

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I usually dismiss everything he says (and even this tweet is completely non-committal) but I need something positive today...

https://twitter.com/GuillemBalague/status/717818742072336388

On Mou. His people say all done with United. Most football people think all done too. MUFC say no decision made. Lvg thinks he's staying

Said it before, until he goes, that will be the official line from the club and from LVG, regardless of whats happening behind closed doors.

bangkok wrote: »
    Playing against good opposition in the champions league only improves the team and make competition at training even better as players want to be involved in the later stages of the champions league so they could go on a run in league. I would rather psg knock them out so their season will fizzle out and players start thinking about holidays as most know they won't be there next season

This can also be used as a case for why they will be putting in all the effort in the CL games and taking the eye off the ball for the league however.

Two sides to the coin, I have my opinion, you have yours. I'm ok with that even though I disagree with it.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    As in you don't rate him?!? Top 3 left back in the world...

No i think he is a very good left back. He kicked out wolf's berg player earlier then shoved his own head in his chest and then dived to ground to try get him sent off it was terrible to watch.

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

I don't think LVG thinks he's staying. I think he's probably saying that to the media but I sense a calmness in press conferences that he didn't have before. I think he's agreed to go on a mutual agreement.

Is it possible Louis might come out and say he knows how much his good friend Mourinho wanted to manage Utd and when the opportunity became available, along with only 1 year left on his contract he decided to step down?

Is that too far fetched?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I usually dismiss everything he says (and even this tweet is completely non-committal) but I need something positive today...

https://twitter.com/GuillemBalague/status/717818742072336388

On Mou. His people say all done with United. Most football people think all done too. MUFC say no decision made. Lvg thinks he's staying

Said it before, until he goes, that will be the official line from the club and from LVG, regardless of whats happening behind closed doors.

You forgot the second part.. **** off Florentino

https://twitter.com/GuillemBalague/status/717819315941195776

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

astradave wrote: »
    You forgot the second part.. **** off Florentino

https://twitter.com/GuillemBalague/status/717819315941195776

I just can't take this guy seriously. Football gets more and more like pantomime as times goes by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Well if Ball bag is saying this a done deal I better start worrying

Where's FutureGuy to tell us all its not happening so I can restore my faith in LVG not being here next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

zerks wrote: »

Fenerbahçe to Everton. How will they explain that one at the Nani over appreciation society?

Balague is saying the same as everyone else, mourinho to United is basically done, just no announcement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fenerbahçe to Everton. How will they explain that one at the Nani over appreciation society?
    pretty easily when he is their key attacker and gets the most assists for them and is amongst their top goal scorers. And when he wins a goal of the month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

He'd cost small money so probably worth the punt for Everton. Then again he is 29 turning 30 in November so no spring chicken at this stage.

Nani to Everton would be a great move for him. He is near 30 now and that would be his level he could be a leader and a key player. It dont mean he is still consistent enough to be near united tho he was hot and cold.

• Advertisement

Yes but knowing our luck ed won't pay anymore then 47 million and the deal would break down ;)

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yes but knowing our luck ed won't pay anymore then 47 million and the deal would break down ;)

More likely we'd end up paying 120m with DDG going the other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Twice the player Lennon is and he manages to get game time. I'd love to see him back and get a decent run.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jose in, with Martial, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo up front. Yes please :pac:

pretty easily when he is their key attacker and gets the most assists for them and is amongst their top goal scorers. And when he wins a goal of the month or two.

Yeah but what about all the huge clubs that should be fighting over him?
    I was being facetious btw, he's a good player but he's not at the level that some people here like to think.

Yeah but what about all the huge clubs that should be fighting over him?
    I was being facetious btw, he's a good player but he's not at the level that some people here like to think.

still better than Depay, Lingard or any right winger we have

still better than Depay, Lingard or any right winger we have

I'm not so sure Nani would be doing any better than Depay under van Gaal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Why not ? Wingers are the only players who seem to be able to perform in LVG sides. Martial, Young, Lingard, Di Maria for a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

beno619 wrote: »
    Why not ? Wingers are the only players who seem to be able to perform in LVG sides. Martial, Young, Lingard, Di Maria for a time.

All of those players weren't constantly on the wing or at all.
    Martial cuts in or plays up top
    Lingard has been played through the centre and thats where he's performed the best
    Young - fullback majority of the time
    Di Maria - At times he was through the middle and even up top. Not a winger either

• Advertisement

because he is a much better player and has proven it in the past.

Would ya'll be happy with a DDG + money for Ronaldo? I'd always take Ronaldo but you it's a risk as he's older now and we'd lose a great keeper. It'd be a short term fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No, I wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Januzaj injured-hamstring,doubt we'll see him play again this season or ever again at United.

If we have just a very good keeper like Lloris or Butland in goal for us, and if we continue to give chances away like we have we'd end up like Liverpool....even worse than we are now!

Our defence isn't amazing. Everton had 4 really great chances to score v us yet Blind was spoken about having Lukaku in his pocket.

Jagielka header off bar
    Jagielka header with DDG great save
    Lukaku shot from 6 yards that Blind blocked for a corner
    Lukaku inches away from sliding in for a goal.

Better chances than we had actually.

Januzaj injured-hamstring,doubt we'll see him play again this season or ever again at United.

Not under LVG who clearly never had time for him.

• Advertisement

because he is a much better player and has proven it in the past.

That wasn't a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

If we have just a very good keeper like Lloris or Butland in goal for us, and if we continue to give chances away like we have we'd end up like Liverpool....even worse than we are now!

Our defence isn't amazing. Everton had 4 really great chances to score v us yet Blind was spoken about having Lukaku in his pocket.

Jagielka header off bar
    Jagielka header with DDG great save
    Lukaku shot from 6 yards that Blind blocked for a corner
    Lukaku inches away from sliding in for a goal.

Better chances than we had actually.

In fairness, our defense is very solid. We have 2nd least goals conceded in the league. This may be down to two holding players also which is a big factor but it's not just this game we're talking about, over the course of the season we have been solid at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

£48m for a 31 year old? I don't care who they are, that's crazy.

£48m for a 31 year old? I don't care who they are, that's crazy.

Surely this an exception? We won't see a Ronaldo or Messi again for one hundred year.

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    Jose in, with Martial, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo up front. Yes please :pac:

Poor Rashford!

Left out in the cold!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement