Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

£48m for a 31 year old? I don't care who they are, that's crazy.

Not really Ronaldo still a player who can sell merchandise and still has a position at the top of football

• astonaidan wrote: »
    Not really Ronaldo still a player who can sell merchandise and still has a position at the top of football

Same could be said about Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Surely this an exception? We won't see a Ronaldo or Messi again for one hundred year.

I don't know, the form/fitness of any player that age could go fairly quickly. Ronaldo is an impressive athlete but all the work he's put in to get there is surely going to tell at some point. It's a lot of money considering the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Surely this an exception? We won't see a Ronaldo or Messi again for one hundred year.

I laughed.
    Great players no doubt but sure its only 30 years ago that the greatest of them all was strutting his stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Think it's crazy Real would consider selling Ronaldo.

42 goals in 40 appearances this season for Real. He has scored or assisted 17 of Real Madrid’s 23 goals in the Champions League this season. The man is a beast, and I'd happily see United drop whatever it took to get him back.

Sadly, I think it's more likely PSG pursue him as a replacement for Ibrahimovic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Sadly, I think it's more likely PSG pursue him as a replacement for Ibrahimovic.

He won't go to PSG surely? Money aside I doubt he would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

£48m for a 31 year old? I don't care who they are, that's crazy.

its not any 31 year old, its one of the 2 greatest players to ever play the game still at the peak of his powers and will be easily for the next 3-4 years.

Guaranteed goals

Nalz wrote: »
    He won't go to PSG surely? Money aside I doubt he would.

He's already won everything with United and Real. PSG would probably offer him the same/more wages. Wouldn't blame him for wanting to spend a few years living in Paris. And with nothing left to prove, he could go to France, bang in a tonne of goals, guaranteed trophies every year, Quarter Finals of the CL at least each year.

Money is a very hard thing to put aside. I know as United fans we'd like to think his heart would lure him to us, but I could see the appeal of heading off to Paris for 3 or 4 years, being the undisputed star and enjoying life in the process.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Same could be said about Rooney

No, It definitely cant

Lord TSC wrote: »
    He's already won everything with United and Real. PSG would probably offer him the same/more wages. Wouldn't blame him for wanting to spend a few years living in Paris. And with nothing left to prove, he could go to France, bang in a tonne of goals, guaranteed trophies every year, Quarter Finals of the CL at least each year.

Money is a very hard thing to put aside. I know as United fans we'd like to think his heart would lure him to us, but I could see the appeal of heading off to Paris for 3 or 4 years, being the undisputed star and enjoying life in the process.

A better chance at winning the CL again in the foreseeable future aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Could you fathom Zlatan and Ronaldo in the same dressing room
    Extra wide doors required for that pair to fit there inflated ego's and heads through...
    Still though, worth it....

And that's before Jose strolls out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

adox wrote: »
    I laughed.
    Great players no doubt but sure its only 30 years ago that the greatest of them all was strutting his stuff.

Him?

812_1315564673x.jpg

• astonaidan wrote: »
    No, It definitely cant

Why not? Sells merchandise by the bucket load? Captain for Man Utd & England?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Shut up Yorke, you're drunk!
    Ryan Giggs is the ONLY candidate for Manchester United job - Yorke

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ryan-giggs-only-candidate-manchester-11045659

brinty wrote: »
    Extra wide doors required for that pair to fit there inflated ego's and heads through...

Say what you want about age, it would be a dressing room of characters not able to fathom losing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

2 men have been charged over the Murderers banner that was hung from a bridge on the evening of the Liverpool game....Good,2 muppets dragging down the name of the club and its supporters.

Police have also released images of those they want to speak to over crowd disturbances.

brinty wrote: »

As a fan of football, and love these two players and manager, yes please :D

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Why not? Sells merchandise by the bucket load? Captain for Man Utd & England?

Rooney wouldnt come as close to Ronaldo selling jerseys, Ronaldos appeal is like Beckhams, Rooney isnt even the top seller of jerseys at United thats Bastian.
    And thats ignoring their place in world football, Rooney possibly isnt even top 50, Ronaldo is top 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

astonaidan wrote: »
    Rooney wouldnt come as close to Ronaldo selling jerseys, Ronaldos appeal is like Beckhams, Rooney isnt even the top seller of jerseys at United thats Bastian.
    And thats ignoring their place in world football, Rooney possibly isnt even top 50, Ronaldo is top 5

I'd love to see your stats and where you are getting these cause you are spouting out of your hole :D here's one done by Skysports last October, that was based from July to end Sep that shows Rooney 6th on the list.
    http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10026204/lionel-messi-cristiano-ronaldo-memphis-depay-the-top-selling-player-shirts

Rooney has always been a huge seller of merchandise and shirts with United.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure Woody Namechecked Rooney as a huge seller very recently too as it was discussed in the thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

astradave wrote: »
    I'd love to see your stats and where you are getting these cause you are spouting out of your hole :D here's one done by Skysports last October, that was based from July to end Sep that shows Rooney 6th on the list.
    http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10026204/lionel-messi-cristiano-ronaldo-memphis-depay-the-top-selling-player-shirts

EDIT: I'm pretty sure Woody Namechecked Rooney as a huge seller very recently too as it was discussed in the thread

Dont you know it's not hip to give rooney credit. Im not into names on shirts but if I was he would be one of the first names id have on one or maybe I could combine rooney and mata?? ROOMATA......... sounds cool i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Have to say, I'm surprised to see he's only third on our team. Would love to see hard numbers rather than simply places too. Saying he isn't even top 50 is a bit ridiculous alright, but my guess is Ronaldo and Messi would be miles and miles out in front (compared to everyone, not just Rooney). Sure Ronaldo's on numerous street signs etc just outside my office, and I'm in Toronto where not much of a f*** is given about the sport at all.

I also work with a guy who claims to be a big fan of 'Like-ester' since way back. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The thing that puzzled me about the LvG staying stories is the supposed 80m transfer budget. Doesn't seem like much given our needs & the rumoured signings.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Have to say, I'm surprised to see he's only third on our team. Would love to see hard numbers rather than simply places too. Saying he isn't even top 50 is a bit ridiculous alright, but my guess is Ronaldo and Messi would be miles and miles out in front (compared to everyone, not just Rooney). Sure Ronaldo's on numerous street signs etc just outside my office, and I'm in Toronto where not much of a f*** is given about the sport at all.

I also work with a guy who claims to be a big fan of 'Like-ester' since way back. :pac:

In fairness to that it was based on the period just after Memphis and Schweinsteiger signed so obviously those two figures would be skewed, but to see Rooney up near the top after being with the club for so long can show that he is a big seller the majority of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

astonaidan wrote: »

Rooney is a massive name in the developing markets. (asia, north america etc) so is appeal is still super strong maybe he hasnt got the same level as ronaldo but no-one is as marketable imo.

Also, more importantly far far more importantly is you saying ronaldo is top 5. Top 5? Hes top two since about ten years ago :)

I was stating he wasnt a top 50 player, not in jersey sales. Thought it was pretty obvious my bad if not. Rooneys shirt sales have dropped, thought everyone knew this, hes becoming less a force in the market

• Advertisement

Kankan14 wrote: »
    Rooney is a massive name in the developing markets. (asia, north america etc) so is appeal is still super strong maybe he hasnt got the same level as ronaldo but no-one is as marketable imo.

Also, more importantly far far more importantly is you saying ronaldo is top 5. Top 5? Hes top two since about ten years ago :)

Rooneys shirt sales have dropped, I just posted about the top 5/50 thing I wasnt refering to jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Discodog wrote: »
    The thing that puzzled me about the LvG staying stories is the supposed 80m transfer budget. Doesn't seem like much given our needs & the rumoured signings.

Think that's 80 to spend on just a striker, according to media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I was reading earlier on that we allegedly have no hope of Zlatan signing while LVG remains in charge, allegedly he thinks ol Louis is a bit of a dipstick.

He would however like to work with Jose again, allegedly.

On another note, Hummels is some bit of class, Miktaryian (sp) looks daycent too.

Hococop wrote: »
    Think that's 80 to spend on just a striker, according to media

Probably shane long then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I see Dortmund have done the Man United impression tonight. Lots of slow, laboured possession and passing around the defence creating very little. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery you know :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

I see Dortmund have done the Man United impression tonight. Lots of slow, laboured possession and passing around the defence creating very little. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery you know :)

Looks like the atmosphere from both sets of fans made up for it tho fair play to both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Hummels showed a great range of passing in that game, I had almost forgotten about how good he can be with the ball at his feet, haven't watched any German football this season.

His peach of a ball with the outside of the boot into Reus was beautiful.

I suppose you could say he is a slightly better version of Daley Blind ;)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Following from a previous point I made about LVG being wrong to send Adnan to Dortmund and replies saying LVG said he wanted to go there, how come he won't let our players do what they like in attack? Why didn't he show the same strictness to Adnan as Valdes for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Signing up for my first season ticket this year can someone answer me the following question for 2016/17 season can you opt out of home European matches ?

Hummels showed a great range of passing in that game, I had almost forgotten about how good he can be with the ball at his feet, haven't watched any German football this season.

His peach of a ball with the outside of the boot into Reus was beautiful.

I suppose you could say he is a slightly better version of Daley Blind ;)

Plus if United went out and signed him yed finally have a rival for Giroud #Gorgeous :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Signing up for my first season ticket this year can someone answer me the following question for 2016/17 season can you opt out of home European matches ?

Nope, not normally anyway. They only allowed it this year when they dropped into the Europa. If we only qualify for Europa this time then I can't see them allowing an op out again.

The sun actually don't know what's going on... They were one of the first to say lvg is staying and were adamant of it and now they saying jose is house hunting and only two weeks ago they said lvg was looking for another house in Manchester.

jayo26 wrote: »
    The sun actually don't know what's going on... They were one of the first to say lvg is staying and were adamant of it and now they saying jose is house hunting and only two weeks ago they said lvg was looking for another house in Manchester.

Its all guess work, pure and simple.

Peddle one line, people will buy the paper to read about it.

Peddle the exact opposite of it people will buy the paper to read about it.

Repeat ad nauseum.

The fact of the matter is nobody knows what's going to happen with LVG because at the moment we are still in contention for top 4 and for the FA cup.

If we get both the board will have zero reason to sack him.

That's the fact of the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This is factually untrue. Win the FA cup and there will still be 2 years worth of reasons to sack him.

This is factually untrue. Win the FA cup and there will still be 2 years worth of reasons to sack him.

What would those be?

A cup we havnt won in a long time in the bag.

Qualification for the CL in the bag.

Club revenues at an all time high.

Its pretty clear that the quality of football is not a consideration for the powers that be.

• Advertisement

What would those be?

You really want reasons why Van Gaal should be sacked? Is this your first time on the forum in two years? Have you seen a game in two years? I'm not going to repeat the obvious to you.

If you think winning the FA cup changes the fact that Van Gaal has done a horrible job then you are probably the type that plays a poker hand with 7,2 then thinks he's great if it happens to win the hand.

You really want reasons why Van Gaal should be sacked? Is this your first time on the forum in two years? Have you seen a game in two years? I'm not going to repeat the obvious to you.

If you think winning the FA cup changes the fact that Van Gaal has done a horrible job then you are probably the type that plays a poker hand with 7,2 then thinks he's great if it happens to win the hand.

Ehhh back up the truck there buddy.

I have been saying for a few months that I want him gone.

If you actually read my post it says, and I quote

"If we get both the board will have zero reason to sack him"

I then qualified that by saying, and I quote

"Its pretty clear the quality of the football is not a consideration for the powers that be"

Do you do think I'm on the board of United?

Or that I'm one of the powers that be?

If so, thanks, that's very flattering.

To put it in the simplest terms possible.

I want him gone and the thought of him being with the club for another 12 months is wholly depressing.

If however we win the fa cup and get champions league football then why would the board sack him, leaving aside the onfield performances, its a results business and grinding out results and getting a trophy and getting CL qualification will probably be viewed as a success, BY THE BOARD, NOT ME, NOT THE MAJORITY OF FANS, THE BOARD, THE ONES THAT MAKE THE DECISIONS.

Is that clear enough for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Billy86 wrote: »

When I was in Toronto I worked with this old Canadian Liverpool fan and I can still remember him saying "My boys can't even beat Lie Chester man, what the fúck eh?"

Some spot for sports fans :p

Is that clear enough for you?
    The simplest of terms are the words you clearly wrote in your posts.

That's the fact of the matter.
    What would those be?
    Very clear and thats what I responded to.

The simplest of terms are the words you clearly wrote in your posts.

Very clear and thats what I responded to.

I'm very sorry, I will try and be clearer in future, consider me told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm very sorry, I will try and be clearer in future, consider me told.

I understood what you meant the first time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I understood what you meant the first time around.

Me too.

Me too.

I want a sandwich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

So the match on Sunday...hoping for a win but head says a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I want a sandwich

I'm eating a hot chicken fillet roll with egg mayo, lettuce, onion and cheese. It's delish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement