Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

^^^^^^ That is just embarrassing. Why would he say that? Spurs fans gonna be taking the mick now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Who would be on all ye're get rid of list.

Top of my list would be

edit: LVG
    edit: Giggs

Valencia - toxic
    Young - useless
    Jones - injured
    Fellaini - thug

In that order

I'd keep Young. He's better than Lingard, Mata and Depay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Rojo has too surely be shipped out as well,the man has made at least 3 or 4 foul throws this season and that's just the beginning of all the positives he has,he's a poor mans Buttner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I'd keep Young. He's better than Lingard, Mata and Depay.

Ah no id rather have any of the other 3

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

Who would be on all ye're get rid of list.

Top of my list would be

edit: LVG
    edit: Giggs

Valencia - toxic
    Young - useless
    Jones - injured
    Fellaini - thug

In that order

LVG - Bafflingly incompetent
    Woodward - Spineless

Swinestiger - Past it
    Carrick - Past it/uninterested
    Memphis - overrated/inconsistent
    Fellaini - Not Utd class and never will be

As well as destroying the ethos of our club, LVG pushed Van Persie and Hernandez out the door. How in the name of god was he allowed to do so?
    :confused::mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Rojo has too surely be shipped out as well,the man has made at least 3 or 4 foul throws this season and that's just the beginning of all the positives he has,he's a poor mans Buttner.

Darmian has been poor too imo. Varela and Fosu have shown more in the games they've played than those two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Is there anybody other than the board and opposing fans that think he should still be here? We're genuinely a laughing stock at this stage, Young playing up front with one of the most exciting young strikers in europe out on the wing is absolutely baffling even for LVG.

I'd be happy(well not happy but willing) to lose the rest of our games if that's what it takes for the boys in charge to finally see what the vast majority have been seeing for a long time, that this man's time is long gone and he's had an absolutely awful reign over this side and has done untold damage whilst spending a quarter of a billion quid.

Process/Philosophy/Future should be replaced with Bluff/Waffle/Rubbish

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I don't think we should be looking at a complete overhaul to the extent we ship out 6-7 players. Anyone under 25 should be held onto. Anyone brought in within the last two years as well. Carrick really doesn't offer enough so I think he'll go. Jones and Valencia are too injury prone. Fel might want to go given the abuse he gets, so a fresh start might appeal.

Other than that, it should be about adding to the squad, not taking away. Especially when you realise LVG's "philosophy" is dragging everyone down a few levels. Writing off the likes of Memphis after one season under a poor manager is stupid imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

adox wrote: »

in a non sexual way lol

that is very funny LVG, very funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Nani used to drive me nuts but this makes you wonder. Maybe part of the problem is that LvG's "philosophy" is at odds with SAF's.

“He and his assistant would shout at players like we were kids, like 18-year-olds,” he told the Sunday Times.

“And I would think, ‘This is not the way to treat us because I am professional. I am training every day, and I am doing nothing wrong.

“It’s difficult to play football when somebody is saying ‘Come on! You must pass the ball like this, blah, blah, blah.’ It’s crazy, because football is instinct and decision. It’s what you see.”

Nani also took a swipe at the Dutchman’s legacy, claiming that the club is “different now… with all due respect, it’s not Manchester.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No doubt someone will be on shortly to tell us what a nice man LVG is and what a great history he has, thus it is perfectly acceptable for him still to be United manager.

He's a spoofer.

Some of us have been lying to ourselves for 6,12,18 months but deep down if were being honest it's been a bit of a **** show since his first competitive match.

He's a pure bull****ter and he's gotten such an easy ride in comparison to Moyes it's unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

United in the first half,no wonder Spurs got to grips with us after 20 minutes.

Screenshot-2016-04-10-at-5.26.20-PM.png

In the first half, 61.7% of United’s attacks came down the left third of the pitch, with 19.9% down the right. In the second half, the split was 73.5% vs 17.4%

adox wrote: »
    Hernandez scores his 25th goal of the season today.
    Meanwhile Manchester Utd have Ashley Young playing up front.

"We needed a clear out", "hindsight", "he prefers smaller squad's"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

So we had not enough time to park the bus !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

I think a back line of DeGea,Darmian,Smalling Fosu Mensah and Shaw would be decent with the correct manager.

Rojo is ok as a back up and Blind is a John OShea type player-can fill in anywhere in defence or midfield for a game or two.

I think Schneiderlin should be kept for one more season as both Carrick and Schweinsteiger are finished.

Martial should be the CF and the likes of Rooney,Mata et al should be fitting around him and replaced with better options as soon as we can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The graphic just confirms what we all saw. It was clear as day again that Mata can't offer anything from the right wing. He is a number 10. With the current squad, it should be 3 of Martial, Lingard, Rashford and Depay with Mata in behind. Or we could even move to a 442 and stick the two young lads up top and see what they can do.

zerks wrote: »
    In the first half, 61.7% of United’s attacks came down the left third of the pitch, with 19.9% down the right. In the second half, the split was 73.5% vs 17.4%

Everything goes through Martial. Everything. It's crazy how much pressure and responsibility has been put on him, and that he's achieved as much as he has is a testiment to his ability. But it's utterly unfair to expect a 20 year old, in his first season at the club and in the country, to be so responsible for all our attacks.

Writing off the likes of Memphis after one season under a poor manager is stupid imo.

Really? 2 decent games in an entire season :eek:

Remember.... One swallow doesn't make an orgy :)

The graphic just confirms what we all saw. It was clear as day again that Mata can't offer anything from the right wing. He is a number 10. With the current squad, it should be 3 of Martial, Lingard, Rashford and Depay with Mata in behind. Or we could even move to a 442 and stick the two young lads up top and see what they can do.

Remember LVG saying he had to balance the team,now it's "stick Martial on the wing and get the ball to him and hope for magic".A certain David Moyes employed a similar tactic with Januzaj....So one dimensional it's unbelievable.Our one shot on target came from Martial beating 3 players on his own,not from any decent team play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

beno619 wrote: »
    "We needed a clear out", "hindsight", "he prefers smaller squad's"

I wouldn't have gone into the season with two strikers like LVG did, but it is definitely hindsight to be going on like we could see that happening with Hernandez. He was average at best for us and Madrid in the last 3 years.

The real mistake was letting him, RVP and Welbeck go in the space of 12 months and going into the season this light on strikers.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »

Just goes to show how we are way too dependent on Martial. He seems to be the only creative exciting player for us that can make moves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm really not worried about the long term as I have learned over time that things can change very quick in football terms.

Take July of 2006, had you told me we win CL 1 season later I have laughed at you.

Short term is where I only look at now. At present its not good, but I'm confident things will look much better come September.

Today was just another bad day in a large amount this season.

I'm really not worried about the long term as I have learned over time that things can change very quick in football terms.

Take July of 2006, had you told me we win CL 1 season later I have laughed at you.

Short term is where I only look at now. At present its not good, but I'm confident things will look much better come September.

Today was just another bad day in a large amount this season.

Hopefully you are right Kew. But I can't see us getting anywhere with the current management set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Ah no id rather have any of the other 3

You'd have Depay over Young? Have you watched Depay this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,979 ✭✭✭billyhead

We need to go all out in the Summer to try and get Lukaku and Pogba but tbh if they had any sense they would stay away from the club. We are turning in to a shambles with this clown in charge

Never thought I would ever agree with Carragher or Souness, but sadly they are both spot on...

Have a look at the heat maps here:Carrick and Schneiderlin literally playing on top of each other.Even a blind man could see that Schneiderlin and Herrera would be a better fit,one to push on and drop back when needed and one to keep an eye on things behind.
    Take a look also at how little we actually had players in Spurs box compared to the amount of time they stayed out wide,it was as if they were afraid of the goal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fixtures.html#s2015-m803487

There was a damning stat shown after Spurs scored their third goal. They had 14 shots on target we had 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Antibac wrote: »
    Hopefully you are right Kew. But I can't see us getting anywhere with the current management set up.

That's true and in fairness we also had Fergie then too. But I just think the doom and gloom in long run is just too hard to predict right now.

Hopefully things change for better. Can't be worse:(

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have gone into the season with two strikers like LVG did, but it is definitely hindsight to be going on like we could see that happening with Hernandez. He was average at best for us and Madrid in the last 3 years.

The real mistake was letting him, RVP and Welbeck go in the space of 12 months and going into the season this light on strikers.

For the love of God, go back to the end of the window and check multiple posters predicting the obvious. It's not hindsight if everyone and thier dog called it !

Youngs heat map sums it up for me.. He didn't get into the Spurs box once in the entire 2nd half, and he was sent on to be our main striker?

That's true and in fairness we also had Fergie then too. But I just think the doom and gloom in long run is just too hard to predict right now.

Hopefully things change for better. Can't be worse:(

Maybe if Mourhino came in we would be in Chelsea's position next season.....😛

Although I doubt that would be happening. There seems to be something else going on there. Even Hiddinks not really getting anywhere with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

You'd have Depay over Young? Have you watched Depay this season?

Yep

id give Depay 1 more season.

Young is past it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

The ****ing stress of watching United play under lvg....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

beno619 wrote: »
    For the love of God, go back to the end of the window and check multiple posters predicting the obvious. It's not hindsight if everyone and thier dog called it !

It would be, for some, hindsight, to say Chico, or RVP, or Welbeck specifically should have been kept.

It is not hindsight for most, however, to say it was insane to go into the season having sold them all and replaced them with only Martial.

LVG has deliberately set up the squad terribly this season, and the club are suffering for his terrible management. That Woodward has stuck by him so long shows that he too has no clue what a football team should look like.

United are a shambles from top to bottom.

Lofty123 wrote: »
    Writing off the likes of Memphis after one season under a poor manager is stupid imo.

Really? 2 decent games in an entire season :eek:

Remember.... One swallow doesn't make an orgy :)

I won't write off a player after one poor season, especially when he's young, adjusting to a new league, and playing under a manager with a track record of having problems with creative flair players. I'd like to see how he does under a different manager before I write him off.

Lofty123 wrote: »
    Youngs heat map sums it up for me.. He didn't get into the Spurs box once in the entire 2nd half, and he was sent on to be our main striker?

Considering we showed no control over the game, and couldn't get a decent ball foward, it isn't surprising. It isnt Youngs fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Van Gaal is like a Liverpool version of a football manager, living off the past

We have made a terrible mistake

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    We need to go all out in the Summer to try and get Lukaku and Pogba but tbh if they had any sense they would stay away from the club. We are turning in to a shambles with this clown in charge

They could solve many problems with us but not if LVG is around. He will turn them into a laughing stock.

There is probably a higher chance of getting those players with Jose in charge anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

I'll be honest I don't want Lukaku, I'd hate to see us spend £50/60m on him

Juan8 wrote: »
    I'll be honest I don't want Lukaku, I'd hate to see us spend £50/60m on him

Yeah goals are overrated, who needs 'em

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭BenK

I know it's extremely unlikely but would much rather Kane than Lukaku.

Yeah goals are overrated, who needs 'em

Where did I say that?

Juan8 wrote: »
    Where did I say that?

Strikers who score 20 league goals will cost 50-60 million there's no way round it, Lukaku is probably the most value for money given his age and potential

• Advertisement

Strikers who score 20 league goals will cost 50-60 million there's no way round it, Lukaku is probably the most value for money given his age and potential

For all the goals he scores I'm not convinced he's a top player, Like the other poster said above I'd much rather we try to spend that £50/60m on Kane, Or maybe invest in the wings where we are also poor and play Martial up top more regularly, I'd also rather Ibra on a 2 year deal than Lukaku

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The one thing I've always liked about Mourinho is that he always seems to address squad weakness by going after the obvious choices. And I say that as a credit to him. For the whole time Ferguson was in charge it felt like as soon as a big name was linked with us in the paper then Ferguson would rule it out. He seemed to hate going after obvious choices. He Loved a surprise bargain but they are rare. No value in the market!
    I've no doubt that if Mourinho takes charge we will be going right after Stones, Kroos, and whatever world class striker is available. Add to that a few more signings and I'd say we will be €150 down but we will have a world class first 11 again.

Not having Champions League for a season might hurt our chances with some older players who might not want to waste a year out of the CL but with the money on offer and with Mourinho on board we should be nailed on for Champions League the next year if not a Title challenge. That will draw players.

Id also much rather Kane over Lukaku. I really don't rate Lukaku like the rest of the football community seems to. Kane has the ability to create his own goals which I don't believe Lukaku can do. Lukaku to me would be a wate of money for the reported £65 million quoted.

In saying that... I doubt Kane would be sold even if you offered £70 million.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Id also much rather Kane over Lukaku. I really don't rate Lukaku like the rest of the football community seems to. Kane has the ability to create his own goals which I don't believe Lukaku can do. Lukaku to me would be a wate of money for the reported £65 million quoted.

In saying that... I doubt Kane would be sold even if you offered £70 million.

Agreed - Kane is a far smarter player; a better worker, more intelligent use of the ball, better link up play.

But, as you say, I can't see how we could take Kane from Spurs. Unless we got Pochetino - and thats not because I think Kane would be lured by Pochetino - but because if we nabbed their manager I think Kane would be more amenable to leaving spurs in general as I would think he would question the ambition of the club.

Agreed - Kane is a far smarter player; a better worker, more intelligent use of the ball, better link up play.

But, as you say, I can't see how we could take Kane from Spurs. Unless we got Pochetino - and thats not because I think Kane would be lured by Pochetino - but because if we nabbed their manager I think Kane would be more amenable to leaving spurs in general as I would think he would question the ambition of the club.

The fact Spurs could use the money with the new stadium under construction is probably the only reason they'd listen to offers. Arsenal proved that selling players for big money while you have stadium debt around your neck is a definite reality.

The only reason I could see Kane leaving is as you say that the club show that they are vulnerable to players and managers leaving therefore Kane's hunger for success might make him question being at the club.

In saying all of that I believe Martial, Rashford, and Rooney are good enough to rotate up front if we buy the right supporting wingers or attacking midfielders so we may not go for a striker. It depends on Mourinho's tactics. He plays 1 striker and doesn't rotate much so having 3 strikers might be enough for him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement