Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Maybe a glimmer of hope: http://www.insidefutbol.com/2016/04/11/former-ajax-coach-reveals-what-job-louis-van-gaal-craves/280187/

LVG wants to be head of youth policy at Ajax if he leaves United.

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Saw this on Reddit

LVG needs 17 goals and 4 points from the next two league fixtures just to equal Moyes figures when he was sacked!

"But Moyes had a team of champions?".....which LVG clearly didn't deem good enough anyways as he turfed them out.

I genuinely think if we had Moyes we'd be better off than we are now. We did ****e v the big teams alright but I think the fact he followed Fergie and the expectations meant he got more abuse. If you look back, it's clear the squad he had were terrible. Cleverly, Carrick, Fletcher and Anderson in midfield?

Evra, Vidic and Ferdinand OAPs. Young and Nani as wingers?

I know we lost a lot under Moyes but if we were losing we'd still have the other team camped in their box. I remember Spurs on NYD, 2-1 down. Kagawa was playing CM and we were throwing everything at them, should have had a penalty with Young too.

The players he was chasing were clearly the correct ones too.

Pogba
    Bale
    Fabregas
    Coentrao
    Herrera
    Shaw

Not saying he would be a good manager for us but I think he'd be doing better than we are now.

LVG has destroyed the attacking culture, the last minute goals, the opposition under siege. When was the last time we actually had a team pegged into their own third of the pitch with constant waves of attacks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Read the above replies.

Why is Kane mentioned and not Lewandowski, Morato, Icardi?

Wouldnt get, Kane's better, Kane's better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭BenK

Read the above replies.

Why is Kane mentioned and not Lewandowski, Morato, Icardi?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make exactly? Kane (and Lukaku) are being mentioned because they play in the premier league, are young and play for teams that traditionally finish below United in the league. Kane is also English which has its own advantages (and disadvantages). As pretty much everyone acknowledges Kane is an extremely unlikely transfer for reasons already stated. I'm not saying why don't we just sign Kane, but it's not to say the particular merits of Kane or Lukaku for United can't be argued. Comments of delusion are unnecessary.

zerks wrote: »
    You,me and everybody else could see that but LVG couldn't.Another thing is why doesn't Schneiderlin go forward so much for frees,corners etc.He's one of our taller players and did well early when he joined us by going up,now that's stopped.

Playing Young as CF 'cos he did well in an U21 game is nuts,nothing against Young but that is not his postion,especially when we had a CF on the pitch.
    Lingaard did well last week as a #10,I was at the game and saw him run himself into the ground,however yesterday he should have been out wide to cover Rose as he has the the pace.Mata ended up really deep due to the fear of Rose running by him.
    The decisions being made by LVG are becoming increasingly odd and at odds with any logic.

Blind takes corners, Schneiderlin takes them sometimes, Mata took free kicks yesterday. I don't get it.

If Blind is good enough to take a corner he is good enough to take a free kick.

• Advertisement

BTW we're 30% towards Arsenals achievement of not winning a trophy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

"But Moyes had a team of champions?".....which LVG clearly didn't deem good enough anyways as he turfed them out. ....

I think some people, in a bid to rationalize the fact United have struggled with two managers now, are romanticizing Moyes a bit.

Moyes was toxic, simply put. He didn't have the confidence or the ability to manage a top team like United. His were a different set of problems, but nothing you said would make me thing we'd be anything other than a solid midtable team under Moyes. His football and tactics were absolutely toxic, and he had us constantly playing like the underdogs in a match.

With regards his transfers, it's brilliant he went after the big names but he spent too long focusing on them. Any team can want a top level player, but at some stage, you have to make the decision to move on down the list of players you want, and he was never capable of that. He spent far, far too long after Fabregas and co, and didn't seem to have any backup plans at all. He knew that there was problems with the squad, and failed to address them after two transfer windows.

No matter how bad LVG does, I would never want to see Moyes near the United job. He, too, should have been sacked far earlier than he was.

• Nothing surprised me about yesterdays collapse which is what is most depressing

Acceptance of mediocrity, getting worryingly used to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I dont know what is worse.... Yesterday's performance or the Monday feeling after a feed of beer all weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Nothing surprised me about yesterdays collapse which is what is most depressing

Acceptance of mediocrity, getting worryingly used to it

Remember when it used to be called 3 Point Lane by United?:(

• Advertisement

Moyes was toxic, simply put. He didn't have the confidence or the ability to manage a top team like United. His were a different set of problems, but nothing you said would make me thing we'd be anything other than a solid midtable team under Moyes. His football and tactics were absolutely toxic, and he had us constantly playing like the underdogs in a match.

As I said, he probably wouldn't have been a good manager but I think we'd be in a better position than we are now. If LVG had Moyes squad, he would do worse than 7th imo.
    With regards his transfers, it's brilliant he went after the big names but he spent too long focusing on them. Any team can want a top level player, but at some stage, you have to make the decision to move on down the list of players you want, and he was never capable of that. He spent far, far too long after Fabregas and co, and didn't seem to have any backup plans at all. He knew that there was problems with the squad, and failed to address them after two transfer windows.

Woodward came into the job and thought he could sign anyone. Moyes wanted Baines and Fellaini and Woodward insulted Everton with the offer.

Moyes did I believe, go after other options but Woody was terrible that summer. He kept trying to sign Fabregas when he had no chance. We went for Herrera then who looked like a backup and left it too late. Same with Coentrao.

Woody was too fixated on trying to sign a marquee player.

You have to remember no one believed that the club had to go through a complete rebuild. Our squad was the best in the league apparantly, we had RVP up front, Ferdinand off the back of a very solid season, DDG, Rooney.

It was inconceivable that there would be so many bastards in the squad like Ferdinand who were rotten eggs and played for themselves rather than Man Utd.

No matter how bad LVG does, I would never want to see Moyes near the United job. He, too, should have been sacked far earlier than he was.[/QUOTE]

That sets a bad precedent. Any manager in a bad run would be fearing the sack.

Not much to disagree with other than...

Managers SHOULD fear the sack. If you have a manager who knows that no matter how badly he does, he won't get sacked, then that creates a manager who is less motivated to preform at a top level.
    I know you have to offer some support to a manager, but with Moyes and LVG, we offered far too much. In both cases, I think most non-fans of the club were left thinking "Why aren't the gone yet?" In both cases, the club would have been absolutely justified sacking the managers in January.

There's a spectrum on the "bad run" scale, and both managers were down the wrong end of it, while the club treated them as being in the middle...

Not much to disagree with other than...

Managers SHOULD fear the sack. If you have a manager who knows that no matter how badly he does, he won't get sacked, then that creates a manager who is less motivated to preform at a top level.
    I know you have to offer some support to a manager, but with Moyes and LVG, we offered far too much. In both cases, I think most non-fans of the club were left thinking "Why aren't the gone yet?" In both cases, the club would have been absolutely justified sacking the managers in January.

There's a spectrum on the "bad run" scale, and both managers were down the wrong end of it, while the club treated them as being in the middle...

Spurs were in 10th place after 14 games last season with -3 GD. If a manger fears the sack they could change tact and play it safe rather than keep trying to implement a gameplan.

Moyes would have known if he didn't make 4th he'd be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

This season has given me more sympathy for Moyes. The football has largely been toxic but yet we keep persisting with LVG. He's been given too many chances IMO.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/719482904821297153?s=09

BREAKING: Sky Sources: @PSG_inside's @Ibra_official interested in move to @ManUtd if manager Louis Van Gaal leaves club this summer. #SSNHQ

From the verified Sky Sports News HQ twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

As I said, he probably wouldn't have been a good manager but I think we'd be in a better position than we are now. If LVG had Moyes squad, he would do worse than 7th imo.

Woodward came into the job and thought he could sign anyone. Moyes wanted Baines and Fellaini and Woodward insulted Everton with the offer.

Moyes did I believe, go after other options but Woody was terrible that summer. He kept trying to sign Fabregas when he had no chance. We went for Herrera then who looked like a backup and left it too late. Same with Coentrao.

Woody was too fixated on trying to sign a marquee player.

You have to remember no one believed that the club had to go through a complete rebuild. Our squad was the best in the league apparantly, we had RVP up front, Ferdinand off the back of a very solid season, DDG, Rooney.

It was inconceivable that there would be so many bastards in the squad like Ferdinand who were rotten eggs and played for themselves rather than Man Utd.

Moyes has said himself that while he was interested in Hererra, he wanted to wait and see if he had fully recovered from a recent injury and that is why he held off on signing him. You're misinterpretation of what happened makes Moyes look less bad than he was, but in reality he was bloody awful.

Edit: And nobody believed Ferdinand was a good option as a starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Brilliant to see reports about Zlatan wanting to come if LVG is gone. I hope that sort of high profile news story finds its way back to all the decision makers in the United board room.

I couldn't care less about getting Zlatan really as I've always disliked his work ethic and attitude but it would be fun to have him at United for a year or two.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Moyes has said himself that while he was interested in Hererra, he wanted to wait and see if he had fully recovered from a recent injury and that is why he held off on signing him. You're misinterpretation of what happened makes Moyes look less bad than he was, but in reality he was bloody awful.

He was awful. But would LVG have looked less awful? I don't think so.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Brilliant to see reports about Zlatan wanting to come if LVG is gone. I hope that sort of high profile news story finds its way back to all the decision makers in the United board room.

I couldn't care less about getting Zlatan really as I've always disliked his work ethic and attitude but it would be fun to have him at United for a year or two.

His work ethic wasn't so bad when he scored against City. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/719482904821297153?s=09

BREAKING: Sky Sources: @PSG_inside's @Ibra_official interested in move to @ManUtd if manager Louis Van Gaal leaves club this summer. #SSNHQ

From the verified Sky Sports News HQ twitter.

Very unusual too see them link too PSG, United and Zlatans Twitter pages! Wonder will any of them reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Marty - They are both bad. Better off without either of them. Disagreeing over who is worse is hardly worth the effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I've never been sure of Zlatan - but if he comes in while kicking LVG out, he will be a legend before he kits out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Zlatan - meh. He can still get tonnes of goals in the French league, but i reckon even bangkok would get into double figures in that joke of a competition.

He was awful. But would LVG have looked less awful? I don't think so.

I don't think that is a question that has a useful answer. They are two managers who have made a mess of their chances at United. I don't see any point in discussing which one was worse.

If you want to discuss that, that's fine. I'm just pointing out the errors in your thinking on Moyes.

I hope we stay well away from Ibrahimovic. An egotistical player nearing the end of his career on big wages? No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Utd will have no interest in an aging Zlatan. Serves no purpose and probably disrupt a dressing room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Zlatan - meh. He can still get tonnes of goals in the French league, but i reckon even bangkok would get into double figures in that joke of a competition.

20 goals in 32 in Europe for them too. That said, I really don't think signing a 34 year old striker is the way forward for us post-Van Gaal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

zerks wrote: »
    United in the first half,no wonder Spurs got to grips with us after 20 minutes.

Screenshot-2016-04-10-at-5.26.20-PM.png

In the first half, 61.7% of United’s attacks came down the left third of the pitch, with 19.9% down the right. In the second half, the split was 73.5% vs 17.4%

This graphic is Utd under LVG in a nutshell. You don't need to be a tactical genius to shut that team down or see where they could be vulnerable. :rolleyes:

• Pro. F wrote: »
    I hope we stay well away from Ibrahimovic. An egotistical player nearing the end of his career on big wages? No thanks.

100% agree

I'm very surprised that the majority want him, but considering most fans seem to want Jose also it's understandable

Thats not a swing or a dig at anyone either just my opinion

I think at least everyone can agree LVG has to go at the very least

• Advertisement

Utd will have no interest in an aging Zlatan. Serves no purpose and probably disrupt a dressing room.

If Jose comes in, I could see him wanting Zlatan. We'll need a striker as well as a few other players, and a player like Zlatan on a "free" would let him push some money into another position.

Zlatan for a year or two would be awesome imo. Would love to see him in a United shirt.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    100% agree

I'm very surprised that the majority want him, but considering most fans seem to want Jose also it's understandable

Martial should end up striker. If we buy Ibra Martial can rotate from being on the left and as a striker.

If we buy Lukaku, we're either going to have Martial on the left most of the time or a 50m pound player on the bench a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Jose could see Zlatan as his RVP

20 goals in 32 in Europe for them too. That said, I really don't think signing a 34 year old striker is the way forward for us post-Van Gaal.

It depends, to be honest, on the long term plan too - imo.

Obviously signing Ibrahimovic would not be a long term signing itself. However, there are a few factors at play at United.

Firstly, we have been on a downward spiral for a few years now - that needs to be arressted, immediately. So while we do need to look at where we want to be in 5 years time, we also have to look at how we are going to get back into a proper top 4/competing at the top position in 12 months time. Signing a player like Zlatan could (assuming he did well) go a long way towards getting us back towards the top in 12 months - giving futher time to a player like Martial, or maybe even Memphis, to further develop - maybe Rashford too.

For me, the question would be if Zlatan can significantly contribute next season - if he can, then I'd be fine with it. If we were singing him with a view to him still be a key player in 3 years, then there is a problem - but if he is signed as a short term fix while long term fixes are worked on and blooded, then ok.

THe fact he would be a free transfer (though big wages), allowing us to spend more money elsewhere on the pitch, would be a good point for such a transfer too. would prefer Lukaku, Kane or Dybala for example, but I can see merit to signing Ibra - though you'd always need to consider such a signing in the context of other signings made.

Martial should end up striker. If we buy Ibra Martial can rotate from being on the left and as a striker.

If we buy Lukaku, we're either going to have Martial on the left most of the time or a 50m pound player on the bench a lot.

Or we could play two up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

If Jose comes in, I could see him wanting Zlatan. We'll need a striker as well as a few other players, and a player like Zlatan on a "free" would let him push some money into another position.

Zlatan for a year or two would be awesome imo. Would love to see him in a United shirt.

I'd love to see him come, don't get me wrong, if nothing but to shake things up at Utd. They're so dull these days. But from a business point of view, I can't see it happening.

• Advertisement

I'd love to see him come, don't get me wrong, if nothing but to shake things up at Utd. They're so dull these days. But from a business point of view, I can't see it happening.

From a business point of view, Woody loves the big names, and there's very few bigger names than Ibra. He'd sell a load of jerseys and would be a big coup in terms of marketability. And if he comes in and helps us win a trophy or two, then that's good for business as well.

best-for-business.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Its very hard to get clubs to part with their big name players. There is no club negotiations involved in a Zlatan move so I can it appealing to Woodward from a business perspective. Not sure it makes sense from a footballing pov. I guess that depends on how the new (or indeed current manager :( ) sees it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

It depends, to be honest, on the long term plan too - imo.

Obviously signing Ibrahimovic would not be a long term signing itself. However, there are a few factors at play at United.

Firstly, we have been on a downward spiral for a few years now - that needs to be arressted, immediately. So while we do need to look at where we want to be in 5 years time, we also have to look at how we are going to get back into a proper top 4/competing at the top position in 12 months time. Signing a player like Zlatan could (assuming he did well) go a long way towards getting us back towards the top in 12 months - giving futher time to a player like Martial, or maybe even Memphis, to further develop - maybe Rashford too.

For me, the question would be if Zlatan can significantly contribute next season - if he can, then I'd be fine with it. If we were singing him with a view to him still be a key player in 3 years, then there is a problem - but if he is signed as a short term fix while long term fixes are worked on and blooded, then ok.

THe fact he would be a free transfer (though big wages), allowing us to spend more money elsewhere on the pitch, would be a good point for such a transfer too. would prefer Lukaku, Kane or Dybala for example, but I can see merit to signing Ibra - though you'd always need to consider such a signing in the context of other signings made.

There's that side to it too. Guess it depends on what the new manager wants to bring in and what style he wants to adapt, Ibra could do well in the system that Mourinho plays for instance with Martial and another winger playing off him either side. He'd bring some experience to the side and he does tend to bring success wherever he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    We need a CB too. I know you all love him here but Blind will never be a CB for me.

Quicker Blind is back in DM removing Carrick from my sight the better

Blind is an absolute liability and no clever dispossession's of the striker or the intelligent bits of defending can change that.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    Quicker Blind is back in DM removing Carrick from my sight the better

Your current, way over the top hate on Carrick is just as bad as the way over the top praise he used to get.

That's true and in fairness we also had Fergie then too. But I just think the doom and gloom in long run is just too hard to predict right now.

Hopefully things change for better. Can't be worse:(

Considering how quick it went to ****, I have to believe it can be just as quick to fix. And when you look at the league, the established top 4 are all going under change in the last few years. All bar Arsenal, which makes their failures all the more embarrassing.

Instead of being the effect of these changes, and the victims, hopefully Mourinho, established in the league, can be the benefactor of another big shift in the league next season.

It would not be beyond the realms of possibility that Mourinho could come in and win the league next year.

Taking advantage of another big summer of change in the league, and getting our squad performing better as a whole, are my reasons for optimism.

Juan8 wrote: »
    For all the goals he scores I'm not convinced he's a top player, Like the other poster said above I'd much rather we try to spend that £50/60m on Kane, Or maybe invest in the wings where we are also poor and play Martial up top more regularly, I'd also rather Ibra on a 2 year deal than Lukaku

I really get dumbfounded with this.

At what point are people able to say they are unconvinced by Lukaku, yet are convinced by Kane?

I'm going to make an assumption that it is based on Lukaku at times being moody, while Kane is this happy go lucky old school "full of passion" player.

Because outside of that, I don't see how people can make a separation.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Mata looked totally dejected the shake of his head after been subed off tells a story.

He was pretty abject again. While it's partially not his fault in terms of his position, there is a certain point where players need to stop looking for excuses, and impose themselves into the team. Force the managers decision making.

Maybe thats an old school method of thinking(and I'm not old) but when your not in favour or not being played in your position, you need to do something about it. I actually am typically not a fan of the "I'll play where ever the manager asks me " attitude. Just to get a game. It's fine in situations of injuries and the likes, but big players should be forcing themselves into their best positions.

Mata is a 10. He is nothing other then a 10. Playing out wide he is absolutely stink. He was getting put under immense pressure from Rose yesterday, and compounded by the fact that Timmy was doing some odd man marking job on Erikson.

He has no acceleration, he got bullied off the ball so many times yesterday it was getting embarrassing, and he can't explode an attack from deep. As much as I don't rate Lingaard, I can see why Van Gaal plays him at 10. He has actual pace to move quickly from winning the ball back deep.

I like Mata, I think he is a wonderful player. But he clearly needs a system suited for him specifically, and Van Gaal hasn't provided that, and Mourinho won't provide that. Can't for the life of me see how he stays in the summer if Mourinho arrives.

But there is a certain point where Mata needs to look at himself and ask is he doing all he can. Is he lifting those around him, is he dictating the play to the impressionable youngsters playing in his vacinity. And why is a 40m+ #10 allowing himself be pushed out wide, being replaced by every other possible player that plays in our attack.

While he is a nice player, appears to be a nice guy, I can't help but come to the conclusion that the money spent on Mata, apart from some moments here and there, has been a pretty underwhelming and poor signing. Predominantly down to his misuse, but he hasn't done anything to suggest a system or attack should be built around him.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Your current, way over the top hate on Carrick is just as bad as the way over the top praise he used to get.

I've been clear with my bias against Carrick, still doesn't stop me needing to vent it :D

He was pretty abject again. While it's partially not his fault in terms of his position, there is a certain point where players need to stop looking for excuses, and impose themselves into the team. Force the managers decision making.

Maybe thats an old school method of thinking(and I'm not old) but when your not in favour or not being played in your position, you need to do something about it. I actually am typically not a fan of the "I'll play where ever the manager asks me " attitude. Just to get a game. It's fine in situations of injuries and the likes, but big players should be forcing themselves into their best positions.

Mata is a 10. He is nothing other then a 10. Playing out wide he is absolutely stink. He was getting put under immense pressure from Rose yesterday, and compounded by the fact that Timmy was doing some odd man marking job on Erikson.

He has no acceleration, he got bullied off the ball so many times yesterday it was getting embarrassing, and he can't explode an attack from deep. As much as I don't rate Lingaard, I can see why Van Gaal plays him at 10. He has actual pace to move quickly from winning the ball back deep.

I like Mata, I think he is a wonderful player. But he clearly needs a system suited for him specifically, and Van Gaal hasn't provided that, and Mourinho won't provide that. Can't for the life of me see how he stays in the summer if Mourinho arrives.

But there is a certain point where Mata needs to look at himself and ask is he doing all he can. Is he lifting those around him, is he dictating the play to the impressionable youngsters playing in his vacinity. And why is a 40m+ #10 allowing himself be pushed out wide, being replaced by every other possible player that plays in our attack.

While he is a nice player, appears to be a nice guy, I can't help but come to the conclusion that the money spent on Mata, apart from some moments here and there, has been a pretty underwhelming and poor signing. Predominantly down to his misuse, but he hasn't done anything to suggest a system or attack should be built around him.

Mata just gets the ball on the right, takes a few steps inside and then passes it back to the CM.

Classic Mata is the goal v Everton. Great touch, passes it to the striker.

After his pass, look where he runs to. A top player would look to get in behind where he can score.

Mata doesn't need the attack to be built around him. All he needs is to be played in his correct position/role and have a properly functioning team around him, like the vast majority of players.

And what do you suggest that Mata should do differently to stop Van Gaal playing him out wide? Go on strike?

I've been clear with my bias against Carrick, still doesn't stop me needing to vent it :D

So you aren't serious when you were talking about Carrick. Fair enough, I misunderstood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Ibramhovic can **** right off, its that sort of attitude that we don't want near the club, "im WILLING to move to United only if van gaal not there"

also the signing of Ibra if he did come would mean Martial stuck out on the left again next season unless they put ibra in no10. Would much rather see martial develop up front rather than ibra signed

Mata just gets the ball on the right, takes a few steps inside and then passes it back to the CM.

Classic Mata is the goal v Everton. Great touch, passes it to the striker.

After his pass, look where he runs to. A top player would look to get in behind where he can score.

If Mata had run towards goal after he made his pass he would have gotten in the way of Fosu-Mensah's run. He ran to the only place he could be useful.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement