Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

jayo26 wrote: »
    Ronaldo is just fantastic, fuken love him.

42 goals and counting now, over the last (less than) 3 CL seasons. The last season where he had less goals than he did games in a season (all comps) is 2010/11, with 53 in 54. There are few things I love more in terms of 'standard football fan bullsh*t' than fans of certain teams trying to downplay this. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Says it all,no ambition......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Billy86 wrote: »
    42 goals and counting now, over the last (less than) 3 CL seasons. The last season where he had less goals than he did games in a season (all comps) is 2010/11, with 53 in 54. There are few things I love more in terms of 'standard football fan bullsh*t' than fans of certain teams trying to downplay this. :p

I think we are genuinely lucky to Be watching football when two of the greatest players ever to play the game are and have been in their prime.
    Trophies probably show messi is better but for style of play and just been an in your face cocky feker I love ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Depressing stat. Just like watching us is these days.

I think we are genuinely lucky to Be watching football when two of the greatest players ever to play the game are and have been in their prime.

110% agree. Very fortunate. So far I never got the chance to see either player play live which I have on my to do list pretty soon. Saw United twice at OT when Ronaldo was with us.. Once against Charlton when he was rested ahead of a Champions League game and he was injured for another game against who I forget exactly. Don't want time to pass by and not have had the experience of seeing both these legends in their pomp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'm not convinced that Blue jersey is the away kit as why would they maintain the stripes on the shoulder??? All their kits seem to be going toward the under arm stripes this season.

I like both the red and white. Still hate the yellow on the badge in contrast to the gold on the chevrolet. Wish theyd try tint the yellow to match the gold better on the shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Billy86 wrote: »

Its delightful to see some people try and make light of just how special a player he is.

Then in the same breath preen over a player that won their own team the square root of fcuk all and couldn't get away quick enough when other teams showed an interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You'd think someone on the coaching staff would look at the stats and try to reason with Van Gaal. It is just idiotic going through a season relying on 1 shot or 2 shots on target a game, let alone doing it for two seasons and waiting for something to magically click. It's looking more and more certain that Van Gaal is just past it and doesn't know how to adapt with the times.

It's tiring saying the same thing every week, been saying it since the middle of last season when it was becoming more apparent this is the way Van Gaal wanted us to play. It's just a nightmare that needs ending.

In 2016 only Barca, Madrid and Atleti have scored more than Liverpool in the top 3 leagues and they are already well underway with preparation for next season by all accounts. We really are in a shocking state, it's no wonder seeing the stock price fall so much, when your main sponsor comes out and basically says you are **** heads need to roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Ronaldo never turns up when it counts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Ronaldo is just the business

Strumms wrote: »
    110% agree. Very fortunate. So far I never got the chance to see either player play live which I have on my to do list pretty soon. Saw United twice at OT when Ronaldo was with us.. Once against Charlton when he was rested ahead of a Champions League game and he was injured for another game against who I forget exactly. Don't want time to pass by and not have had the experience of seeing both these legends in their pomp.

He just got his hatrick there now for madrid.

I seen ronaldo a few times for united I remembered been in awe looking at him doing his warmup routine.

Seen Barcelona once in the gamper cup final in 07 we were in holiday in salou and did the package trip down but messi didn't play but Ronaldinho did and Henry made his debut and I remember gio dos Santos was going to be the next big start then he played also.

Only time I seen Ronaldo live was back at an away game against Bolton. I think we won by 4 and either Ronaldo or Rooney scored a hattrick (maybe) but both were on the score sheet. Was the best match iv been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

If City were to win the CL, does 5th place spot also qualify for next season? Clutching at straws and how ironic it would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Di Maria what a spoofer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

ParkRunner wrote: »
    If City were to win the CL, does 5th place spot also qualify for next season? Clutching at straws and how ironic it would be.

As I understand it, no. If they win the CL and finish forth, then I think 3rd has to play the qualifier instead of them. If they finish third or up, then it doesn't really come into play at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No.

But if we did somehow finish fourth and City and Liverpool win the Euro cups they're in, we'd be kicked out of the Champions League, which would be kind of funny.

Think about it, getting into the champions league because they win it would be a double kick in the teeth.

Them winning it and another season for LVG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Galling watching a mostly misfiring City this season go through to the CL semis when we couldn't get out of an easy group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭billyhead

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Only time I seen Ronaldo live was back at an away game against Bolton. I think we won by 4 and either Ronaldo or Rooney scored a hattrick (maybe) but both were on the score sheet. Was the best match iv been to.

I was at that match at the Reebok. It was Rooney who got the hat trick. Seen Ronaldo 3 times playing for United and his off the ball movement was excellent. A real crowd pleaser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Think about it, getting into the champions league because they win it would be a double kick in the teeth.

Them winning it and another season for LVG.

Whats the max amount of English teams that can take part in the CL?
    i.e. is it always 4? If Pool and City win is it the top 2 (Spurs and Leicester) and Pool and City (should City win the CL and finish 5th or worse)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Nalz wrote: »
    Whats the max amount of English teams that can take part in the CL?
    i.e. is it always 4? If Pool and City win is it the top 2 (Spurs and Leicester) and Pool and City (should City win the CL and finish 5th or worse)

They changed it to 5 recently, so if the team that finishes 5th (or below) in the league wins either the CL or the EL the top 4 plus those will go thru, if both are outside the top 4 and win the CL & EL then the top 3 and those 2 go thru

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭billyhead

Dont want that Ibra chap anywhere near our team. He was a waste of space tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

billyhead wrote: »
    Dont want that Ibra chap anywhere near our team. He was a waste of space tonight

I don't want him either but tbh the midfield was at fault today for them. They just couldn't move the ball quick enough and bring it out to give the city defence something to think about. The amount of times the carelessly lost the ball as well was unusual.

Ibra is quality but he is done I reckon and that will show if he comes to England. The French league is a joke - his stats mean nothing coming to England imo

To be fair to PSG they were without Matuedi and Luiz tonight. But Zlatan is Zlatan, everybody knows he has an attitude problem but he can have his special days. Wouldn't say no to him but if we could get Kane, Lukaku or maybe Morata then he can go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

To be fair to PSG they were without Matuedi and Luiz tonight. But Zlatan is Zlatan, everybody knows he has an attitude problem but he can have his special days. Wouldn't say no to him but if we could get Kane, Lukaku or maybe Morata then he can go elsewhere.

He was no loss to them tonight, woeful defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

tbh the midfield was at fault today for them. They just couldn't move the ball quick enough and bring it out to give the city defence something to think about.

I wouldn't damn any player on one game but this highlights one of the many reasons I wouldn't be interested in him at all, because a game like this shows what would be in store if he joined us next season. He might have been world class but put him in our team and he will just be another Falcao/Van Persie/Rooney/Chico, floating around ineffectually up front.

Zlatan wouldn't even be a band aid for our attacking woes, he would just be a waste of time and money, every single penny put towards him would be better spent differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

To be fair to PSG they were without Matuedi and Luiz tonight.

Verratti was the biggest loss.Class act.

I'd have no problem with City winning the Champions League. It can only spur us on to do better. Keeping 4 Champions League spots is vital too.

I like seeing the english teams doing well in Europe as long as United aren't involved. I do enjoy Liverpools misery at times but generally I like seeing them do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

GSPfan wrote: »
    I'd have no problem with City winning the Champions League. It can only spur us on to do better. Keeping 4 Champions League spots is vital too.

I like seeing the english teams doing well in Europe as long as United aren't involved. I do enjoy Liverpools misery at times but generally I like seeing them do well.

Plus it would be hilarious for Pep to get another team straight after winning the CL, then fail to win it himself :pac:

• Advertisement

I'd have no problem with City winning the Champions League. It can only spur us on to do better.

Kinda get what you are saying... but if we need to see them doing well to provide a catalyst for us to do well and up our game.. well that is a pretty ****in sad indictment on our club to be honest as it stands now. Considering the status of our club we should always be striving to be the best regardless of anyone else. We should always aim to be champions and win things. Because X team are doing good should have no bearing on our ambitions.

Forgot today was game day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Really hoping for us to get through tonight. Great chance of winning it if we do and lift this ****ty season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Does he get the boot is we lose tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

brinty wrote: »

Not while CL is still possible IMO.

Have zero expectations of is getting through tonight, West Ham are playing some lovely stuff, think they will over run is in MF.

If West Ham win tonight the only thing i'll be thinking is that LVG is closer to the exit door. He'll be here until the last game but after that he is a goner. Even if he scrapes into 4th place. City continuing in the Champions League will effect their league form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Zlatan is phenomenal, a level just below Messi and Ronaldo. He is though 34 and he can't carry what has always been a spineless PSG in the biggest games when the rest go missing or are just not there, Veratti was a massive loss, Matuidi being out compromises defensive stability also which was only compounded by Motta going off early with injury.

You can scoff at his French league record (he has scored goals everywhere he went) but not his CL record.

Too old to be thinking long term, and apparently too much of a wage demand also tbh, would have loved him in a United shirt at one time though we did get the poor mans version in Berbatov and he proved a very divisive figure so I assume Ibra would do the same, its the standard EPL fan thinking of if they aren't sweating buckets busting a gut chasing balls down everywhere they don't give a **** mentality that might be at fault.

Different type of player, very special, but one the boat has sailed on I think. Though it could be said this team could really do with a talisman alright, I think we need to be looking elsewhere.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

At this stage it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Van Gaal actually owns the club and so can't be sacked. Its the only rational explanation.

LVG will be here next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,379 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Zlatan is phenomenal, a level just below Messi and Ronaldo. He is though 34 and he can't carry what has always been a spineless PSG in the biggest games when the rest go missing or are just not there, Veratti was a massive loss, Matuidi being out compromises defensive stability also which was only compounded by Motta going off early with injury.

You can scoff at his French league record (he has scored goals everywhere he went) but not his CL record.

Too old to be thinking long term, and apparently too much of a wage demand also tbh, would have loved him in a United shirt at one time though we did get the poor mans version in Berbatov and he proved a very divisive figure so I assume Ibra would do the same, its the standard EPL fan thinking of if they aren't sweating buckets busting a gut chasing balls down everywhere they don't give a **** mentality that might be at fault.

Different type of player, very special, but one the boat has sailed on I think. Though it could be said this team could really do with a talisman alright, I think we need to be looking elsewhere.

My opinion on Zlatan to United would very much be dependent on the other signings (and sales) made in the summer.

For me, United need to add a striker to the squad, but we also need a centre back, a centre mid, a right winger, maybe a keeper - and maybe some 'squad' signings. If Rooney isn't sold, and there is little suggestion he will be, then signing Ibrahomic on a free (forgetting wages for a moment) would fee up cash to be spent on other positions - while leaving us with striking options of Rooney, Martial, Ibrahimovic and Rashford. I'd be quite happy with that front four, assuming that the signings made in the other positions of need were of sufficient quality and had a long term look to them.

I would prefer we sign Dybala, Lukaku, Kane, Lewandowski - but Ibrahimovic would be a good addition if the context (other position signings) are correct.

No, he won't. :P

And I'll do a €10 charity bet with anyone who truly believes he will be. He's toast. Now who replaces him, thats where my worries lie...

Lord TSC wrote: »

And I'll do a €10 charity bet with anyone who truly believes he will be. He's toast. Now who replaces him, thats where my worries lie...

I'll take you up on that it's a win win for me.

Witness. :)

Witness. :)

I witness that you witness it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

tumblr_nqk6dryTbZ1r2igv7o1_500.gif

• Advertisement

My concern is this, the reasons for sacking Van Gaal were far stronger 4 months ago than they are today. Four months ago we were abject but the season was still salvageable, a change in manager could easily have seen comfortably into top four. Today, we are still rubbish but the damage is done, next season we will still be rubbish but some people will have that new season "hope".

So the time for a change was before christmas, that he wasn't sacked then was baffling and the worry is that those baffling reasons still apply. Add in the fact that I don't believe Mourinho is lined up and we are indeed looking at a scenario of Van Gaal, amazingly, remaining in his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

I saw it all lads ;) :cool:

My concern is this, the reasons for sacking Van Gaal were far stronger 4 months ago than they are today. Four months ago we were abject but the season was still salvageable, a change in manager could easily have seen comfortably into top four. Today, we are still rubbish but the damage is done, next season we will still be rubbish but some people will have that new season "hope".

So the time for a change was before christmas, that he wasn't sacked then was baffling and the worry is that those baffling reasons still apply. Add in the fact that I don't believe Mourinho is lined up and we are indeed looking at a scenario of Van Gaal, amazingly, remaining in his job.

This my thinking on it too. I can just picture ed Woodward supporting lvg with comments like we are still on target for our long term goals or some crap like that.

Here is one for ye then if saying it was a choice of having lvg next season or Ryan giggs takes over in summer who would ye pick?

For me it would be giggs for simple fact is that LVG makes me sick to look at now I detest his philosophy I detest his unfounded arrogance the only thing I like about the man is how he threats the press.

I dont think giggs would be perfect or anything but it would be like choosing between a really long painful death or having a little hope for a while.

You're on Jayo :)

Which might worry me if you couldn't just replace LVG and Moyes and have the same thing said this time two years ago.

For whatever reason, they made the decision to let LVG see out the season. Whatever that reason is, I don't know, but we're all ignorant to the situation. But being ignorant to a situation does not mean that nothing is being done.

So while you can choose to believe they want to keep him there next season, I believe there's no chance he will be there beyond the summer. I am fully confident he won't be here by the end of May.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement