Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

jayo26 wrote: »
    Here is one for ye then if saying it was a choice of having lvg next season or Ryan giggs takes over in summer who would ye pick?

For me it would be giggs for simple fact is that LVG makes me sick to look at now I detest his philosophy I detest his unfounded arrogance the only thing I like about the man is how he threats the press.

I dont think giggs would be perfect or anything but it would be like choosing between a really long painful death or having a little hope for a while.

Hard choice as i think giggs would be a disaster. I feel like he needs to go elsewhere to do his apprentice then be given a shot.

I also think jose would end badly and we will be in this situation in a few years again.

basically i haven't a clue who i want but its not LVG but im nor sure what other managers are available or willing to come to united and good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,379 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I reckon you will see a lot of talk regarding Blanc in the next week - with a few United connected people bigging him up. Mainly as opposition to Mourinho to United (whom I reckon will be strongly linked with PSG in the next couple of weeks).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I reckon you will see a lot of talk regarding Blanc in the next week - with a few United connected people bigging him up. Mainly as opposition to Mourinho to United (whom I reckon will be strongly linked with PSG in the next couple of weeks).

He only just signed a new contract though, didn't he?

Lord TSC wrote: »
    He only just signed a new contract though, didn't he?
    I don't think the payoff would be a problem for the owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Which might worry me if you couldn't just replace LVG and Moyes and have the same thing said this time two years ago.

You can't say the same thing, because Moyes was sacked after only 10 months.

Even if you think that was 5 months too late it was still only 10 months, a completely reasonable length of time for a board to give the guy a chance before then making the call to let him go.

Van Gaal has went long, long past the point where he should have been sacked, long past it to a point that simply doesn't make any rational sense. And if something isn't rational then we might as well expect further irrationality in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

No, he won't. :P

And I'll do a €10 charity bet with anyone who truly believes he will be. He's toast. Now who replaces him, thats where my worries lie...

I really really hope you are correct, just have a niggling feeling that the board are completely split as to who should take over and that will mean LVG may struggle on, really is a shambles of a club now.

Then again with the whole Sir Bobby stand thing I wouldnt be surprised to see him step down from the board and the next day Mourinho getting annouced ;-)

You can't say the same thing, because Moyes was sacked after only 10 months.

Even if you think that was 5 months too late it was still only 10 months, a completely reasonable length of time for a board to give the guy a chance before then making the call to let him go.

Van Gaal has went long, long past the point where he should have been sacked, long past it to a point that simply doesn't make any rational sense. And if something isn't rational then we might as well expect further irrationality in the summer.

See though, you're using the word "irrational" when I think there's plenty of rational reasons to keep him. Not that I agree with them personally. But behind the scenes, a place we are largely ignorant of, there may be rational decisions being made that we can't comprehend because, quite simply, we are not as informed. There's a difference between "I disagree personally with..." and "it is irrational that...".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

You'd really wonder what's going on at the club. It's been obvious to us all that LVG can't take the team any further. At the end of last season I thought there were signs of things finally clicking but that all seems to have gone out the window. The football is just boring to watch and completely uninventive. The only real positives from his reign have been the younger players like Martial, Rashford, TFM and CBJ. The senior players look to have suffered under him.

Christmas really was the time to sack him. Instead, the Board allowed things to continue as they are and we're out of Europe, unlikely to get top 4 and and potentially out of the FA cup tonight if the team plays as it did against Spurs. There's no sign of progress.

How the Board allowed this to go on is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I completely forgot we have going out of the FA cup to look forward to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just for you,here's the match thread. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99377952#post99377952

Don't forget lads that it kicks off an hour earlier than usual due to the clash with the Champions League games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Is it safe to come back? Spurs fallout dissipating?
    Tough game tonight but there's absolutely no reason we should be resigning ourselves to defeat.
    We may well lose but I won't be expecting to 7 hours beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Out of that PSG team I'd take Verratti over anyone. He's a class forward thinking player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I think after the match it will be something we hope to completely forget

How in the hell was martial not nominated in young player of the year ill never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Love how lvg keeps mentioning last chance in his presser after the spurs game I really hope it's his last chance also.

sky88 wrote: »
    How in the hell was martial not nominated in young player of the year ill never know

If you look at it from a neutral pov as good as martial has been for us you can't argue with kane, Ali, Lukaku and couthinhio having a better season and id say barkley has been excellent also. I have no problems in them been selected ahead of him.

8 league goals. We all love Martial but lets be honest, we are looking at the potential and the fact that he is the best of a bad bunch rather than him being the best performing young player in the league this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

jayo26 wrote: »
    If you look at it from a neutral pov as good as martial has been for us you can't argue with kane, Ali, Lukaku and couthinhio having a better season and id say barkley has been excellent also. I have no problems in them been selected ahead of him.

Id nominate him over Coutinho, the rest fair enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

My opinion on Zlatan is that United should get him in for a year and hope that the Spurs hype dies down a bit and focus on getting back into CL and if everything goes right make the megabucks offer for Kane offer next Summer when he may be more likely to move than this Summer. Also gives Rooney another season to show that he still has it which I think he does.

Striker wouldn't be as important as a right winger and a number 10/box to box player depending on the system imo as the problem is coming from deeper on attack.

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    Id nominate him over Coutinho, the rest fair enough

Im not coutinho biggest fan but he has scored alot of important goals for them too i wouldnt say he is better then martial long term but this season he has been more influential to Liverpool. That's just me been sensible tho if it was going by my heart of course I'd say martial.

sure we would probably have had to pay Monaco another 10million if he had been nominated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Zerks thread starts with Memphis on the left and Martial up front. It's so cute <3

TheDoc wrote: »
    Zerks thread starts with Memphis on the left and Martial up front. It's so cute <3

Does he have Herrera starting too?:eek::pac::o:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Does he have Herrera starting too?:eek::pac::o:mad:

Yeah it's a possible lineup, and Herrera is in there at left back after Rojo got roasted. He is on steward duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Whats the logic behind the 7oclock ko? Clearly it still clashes with the Champions League games unless the FA have fooled UEFA with the 1 hour GMT/CET time difference!
    6pm would make sense if they really had to avoid the CL, if they don't have to avoid the CL or are willing to swallow a fine then why not just stick with 7.45/8pm?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Can we just win a game for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Can we just win a game for once.

Would winning the total amount of possession do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Julez wrote: »
    Would winning the total amount of possession do?

It's what counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Whats the logic behind the 7oclock ko? Clearly it still clashes with the Champions League games unless the FA have fooled UEFA with the 1 hour GMT/CET time difference!
    6pm would make sense if they really had to avoid the CL, if they don't have to avoid the CL or are willing to swallow a fine then why not just stick with 7.45/8pm?
    Probably more to do with allowing for extra time and pens if required... ? There is a PL match kicking off at 8 pm too

See though, you're using the word "irrational" when I think there's plenty of rational reasons to keep him. Not that I agree with them personally. But behind the scenes, a place we are largely ignorant of, there may be rational decisions being made that we can't comprehend because, quite simply, we are not as informed. There's a difference between "I disagree personally with..." and "it is irrational that...".

But you aren't even presenting rational reasons, you are just supposing that they exist, because if he hasn't been sacked then those reasons must exist, right?

But its beside the point anyway because personally I don't think it matters what might or might not be happening behind the scenes. I don't believe that he is revolutionizing anything behind the scenes but even if he was, the simple fact is that his primary role is supposed to be the performance of the Manchester United first team and he has failed miserably in that regard. No matter what rational unknowns there are that one fact has to take precedent. No matter what rational, behind the scenes bit of information you can suggest I still look at his time as manager and believe that he should have been ****ed out long ago.

Lewis Hamilton could do a great job in interviews and have brilliant input into his cars design but if he can't win races then he won't drive for Mercedes. Same for Van Gaal, he might have implemented a brilliant system for the coaches time cards but if he can't get the first team to score more goals than Bournemouth then it doesn't matter a ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I don't get the worries about short-term appointments like Ibra or even Jose. The patient is in the ER & in need of immediate resuscitation. When we are back at the top, where we belong, then we can plan the future.

Mata dropped, Fellaini back in. Guess Lingard back out on the wing with herrara at #10? Captain Fantastic back to save us at the end too :P

Cf8BSJ6XEAE5dil.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Mata dropped, Fellaini back in. Guess Lingard back out on the wing with herrara at #10? Captain Fantastic back to save us at the end too :P

Cf8BSJ6XEAE5dil.jpg

oh sweet mother of baby jesus....
    tumblr_mrdy178jeZ1rlfsw2o1_250.gif

brinty wrote: »
    oh sweet mother of baby jesus....
    tumblr_mrdy178jeZ1rlfsw2o1_250.gif

Do you need a hug from Kate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I'm guessing Fellaini is added to mark Andy Carroll at set pieces.

Don't really know what's gonna happen with this game.
    Some days we turn up, other days we are snoozing our asses off. I could see this going to ET

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Glad to see Herrera playing

How does lingard kept his place he has been terrible in the last few matches granted being played out of position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

How does lingard kept his place he has been terrible in the last few matches granted being played out of position

Bit harsh to single him out given like you say he's played out of position and not had very much time on the ball in any place that he can hurt the opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Carrick and Fellaini together in midfield :(

Fosu playing which is great (injury wasnt bad)

Herrera playing :), hope he has a good game.

Some fans might want us to lose but I would love for us to win the FA cup.

Jayop wrote: »
    Bit harsh to single him out given like you say he's played out of position and not had very much time on the ball in any place that he can hurt the opponents.

Well he wasn't great when playing in his correct position. But we could all say that about a lot of players. Like I feel rashford needs a break from starting as he looks a bit tired to me.

Just hope it's Ander in the middle with lingard on the right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Was gonna head to the range and hit a few balls instead of watching but i dunno what it is i just can't not watch us.. its like a curse :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The ONLY good thing about our crap last few years is thinking how Liverpool have been thinking the same for the last 20 :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

astradave wrote: »
    Was gonna head to the range and hit a few balls instead of watching but i dunno what it is i just can't not watch us.. its like a curse :pac:

Same. I might watch it from behind the couch. Hammers have started well :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rojo....

Only thing I could see is that he is a good little boy for LVG, always doing as he's told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

anyone flick over to the barca match? Simeone has unbelievable passion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

J. Marston wrote: »
    Rojo....

Whatever his best position is, it's not left back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Whatever his best position is, it's not left back.

He's a CB, that's what he was bought for. He's not good at LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

Rashford .... Brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

KH25 wrote: »
    He's a CB, that's what he was bought for. He's not good at LB.

Yet we have a LB who's crap at CB playing there.

Logic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement