Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Is Simeone not pretty much a carbon copy of a young Jose?

If they had gone out tonight I'd say their fans would be livid about how they played most of that second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

I'm so happy we won tonight. It was especially sweet as I had low expectations after the Spurs game! Spectacular goal from Rashford! Would love to win the FA Cup.

It's shocking to think that none of the current team have won the FA Cup with Utd!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Even players like Ferdinand never won the FA cup with United.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

If they had gone out tonight I'd say their fans would be livid about how they played most of that second half.

See, Simeone done it against Barca. With a squad like united I would never turn down a dirty win like that but Jose parked the bus against everything. Goes 1-0 up to palace he would throw on Mikel. I would love if we targeted Potchettino and Thomas Tuchel both can set teams up to attack or contain and both play exciting football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Toobz wrote: »
    See, Simeone done it against Barca. With a squad like united I would never turn down a dirty win like that but Jose parked the bus against everything. Goes 1-0 up to palace he would throw on Mikel. I would love if we targeted Potchettino and Thomas Tuchel both can set teams up to attack or contain and both play exciting football.

Jose didn't park the bus against everything. It's an urban myth at this stage.

#josein #dingding

Good point, only really noticed it since we haven't won anything in a few years. Fergie was winning most other things so didn't notice as much.

As much as van Gaal has frustrated me I would like him to go out having won at least one trophy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I thought they played brilliantly. Defended like savages and then two or three players breaking from defence to help Griezmann.

We did the same vs. Barca in 08.

Toobz wrote: »

Since Porto Jose's record in terms of most goals scored in the league he has managed is 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd

Crazy record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I thought they played brilliantly. Defended like savages and then two or three players breaking from defence to help Griezmann.

We did the same vs. Barca in 08.

There you have it. Simeone is a genius, it's a myth that all they do is sit back. Even watch the first half hour tonight, the pressure they were putting on Barcelona in their own half was brilliant to watch, when can anybody remeber that kind of pressure in this Barca team forcing mistake after mistake and not letting Barcelona get a pattern to their play.

They then sat back a bit more and used some beautiful combinations in midfield between Gabi and Koke in particular to release Carrasco(going to be a superstar) and Griezemann.

I salivated for so much of that game, honestly I can see Simeone going down as a truly great manager and think this time next year Wed be competing for the league with him at the helm and that's saying something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Oh I agree. It would be a step down. It's the response I got here previously when I mentioned him that irked me. He wouldn't suit us etc. Watch them play they can adjust perfectly to any situation. He's the best coach in the world as far as I'm concerned.

He wouldn't suit us.

He doesn't speak English, he has no interest in leaving his job.

He plays a dreadful style of football in general, he shuts down when going 1 goal up and is extremely prone to late goals that either mean draws or losses, massive issues with chance creation and goals.

Sets teams up to be very combative and cynical, a good manager no doubt, possibly a perfect storm situation for him though and I think he would be foolish to leave where he is right now.

People who don't like LVG's style of football, but want Simeone confuse me a little, the struggle for goals will not end there! People who don't want Mourinho, but want Simeone confuse me more.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• ****ing love Diego, keep saying it's lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

BANGKOK BANGKOK GIVE US A WAVE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

TheDoc wrote:
    BANGKOK BANGKOK GIVE US A WAVE!!!

Why????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Since Porto Jose's record in terms of most goals scored in the league he has managed is 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd

Crazy record

In his 5 seasons at Chelsea his total goals scored were, 98, 95, 88, 100 and 109.

If only Van Gaal could park the bus like Mourinho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Was he banned? He was defo at the club when we beat Millwall.

• Advertisement

• brinty wrote: »
    Why????

Ah brinty..you know well!!

King elbows of course!!!!

• Ive said it before Simeone would be a great addition for Utd

Fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

He wouldn't suit us.

He doesn't speak English, he has no interest in leaving his job.

He plays a dreadful style of football in general, he shuts down when going 1 goal up and is extremely prone to late goals that either mean draws or losses, massive issues with chance creation and goals.

Sets teams up to be very combative and cynical, a good manager no doubt, possibly a perfect storm situation for him though and I think he would be foolish to leave where he is right now.

People who don't like LVG's style of football, but want Simeone confuse me a little, the struggle for goals will not end there! People who don't want Mourinho, but want Simeone confuse me more.

He doesn't play a dreadful style of football in general though in my opinion, high energy football with great combination play between the midfielders and trying to release Griezemann behind or delivering crosses into the box, I adore it.

I hate Van Gaal and have before he came to Utd, don't know how you'd compare the 2, Van Gaals style is slow and laborious with an emphasis on keeping the ball at all costs. Simeone tried to play with pace and pressure and although they tend to pass well they don't do it for the sake of it. Don't score the most goals but perhaps I'm alone in this but goals aren't the be all and end all for me, if I see strong challenges, lovely one twos and pacy wingers running at defenders and chances created but only winning 1 or 2 nil I'm very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Just back in my local for a late one after being there. Jesus but it meant so much to everyone there to win that game. Hugging all round strangers of all kinds after the final whistle. LVGs fate is sealed in the board room and by not getting 4th. This game was always a distraction from that. Was at WHL Sunday and we were livid walking out. But so happy tonight. The future of LVG didn't hinge on tonight. But our season did and by God did we celebrate it on the way out.

M!Ck^ wrote:
    Ah brinty..you know well!!

He's still rubbish
    Not united standard at all.

Bangkok I'm talking about......

#obviously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I thought United played well tonight for 65 minutes or so. Great showing from the young guns, Rashford, Fosu-Mensah and Martial again in particular. Fellaini also had a very good game, first half especially. Despite all our wows its genuinely exciting to see some of these young kids come through and look like they have great ability, composure and that they want to own it each and every time they cross the white line. The problem from a United point of view was that we let West Ham back into it to a degree by stopping what we had done so well for most of the game ie. passing the ball with purpose and looking to get forward. Sat back and were happy to bring West Ham onto us for a good 20 minutes and not for the first time this season and could have paid for it. Loved watching us tonight and I haven't said that many times this season but the whole heartache associated with this type of performance is that you know it's not a catalyst for anything at all. Next game out will be same old same old etc. We had these eureka performances against Arsenal, Everton and one or two others and always hoped it would be a springboard to a good run and decent football. Not complaining we are through and nothing would please me more to see us lift the FA Cup but reality is reality....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

David De Gea is the best goalkeeper in the world. The saves he made towards the end were simply exceptional.

Oh and that Rashford goal wasn't half bad either!

The save he made just before their goal. Jizztastic!

ShooterSF wrote: »
    The save he made just before their goal. Jizztastic!

I dunno, he should have got a hold of the ball. Sure the corner he gave away led to their goal.

Bahaha

stankratz wrote: »
    I dunno, he should have got a hold of the ball. Sure the corner he gave away led to their goal.

Bahaha

hmmmm
    Sarcasm?????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

kstand wrote: »
    Just back in my local for a late one after being there. Jesus but it meant so much to everyone there to win that game. Hugging all round strangers of all kinds after the final whistle. LVGs fate is sealed in the board room and by not getting 4th. This game was always a distraction from that. Was at WHL Sunday and we were livid walking out. But so happy tonight. The future of LVG didn't hinge on tonight. But our season did and by God did we celebrate it on the way out.

And yet people on here and other forums were saying they wouldnt be too dissapointed with a loss :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That Rashford goal - up there with that beauty Martial got previously, similar type of strike.

Really liking Rashford as a player - beyond his finishing I would actually have more confidence in him on the ball than Martial. I think Rashford protects and uses the ball brilliantly - his ability and consistency in playing little layoffs to players in support at the right time is something I love. I find Martial, as the most obvious comparison, tends to lose the ball or clip his pass off the defender more often than I would like.

Still, I'm not going to be saying we should be building out team around him and making an assumption he will lead us to glory for the next 15 years - but I am certainly liking what I am seeing of him so far. His play is just so intelligent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

In his 5 seasons at Chelsea his total goals scored were, 98, 95, 88, 100 and 109.

If only Van Gaal could park the bus like Mourinho...

Agreed, he shuts up shop in "BIG" games, against the top 4 for instance or quarter / semi final of a cup, these games are far and few between. And I can live with a couple of 1-0's for 8-10 games a season if it means we win and we dominate the minnows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

That Rashford goal - up there with that beauty Martial got previously, similar type of strike.

Really liking Rashford as a player - beyond his finishing I would actually have more confidence in him on the ball than Martial. I think Rashford protects and uses the ball brilliantly - his ability and consistency in playing little layoffs to players in support at the right time is something I love. I find Martial, as the most obvious comparison, tends to lose the ball or clip his pass off the defender more often than I would like.

Still, I'm not going to be saying we should be building out team around him and making an assumption he will lead us to glory for the next 15 years - but I am certainly liking what I am seeing of him so far. His play is just so intelligent.

I agree on Rashford. He's so exciting to watch. I think Martial has started to suffer by being constantly double marked. Look
    At the Spurs game. He was effectively nullified all game and they knew that marking him killed our attack. I think in a properly functioning team he would improve as he wouldn't be getting the ball every time and having to try turn it into something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Agreed, he shuts up shop in "BIG" games, against the top 4 for instance or quarter / semi final of a cup, these games are far and few between. And I can live with a couple of 1-0's for 8-10 games a season if it means we win and we dominate the minnows.

indeed - I certainly didn't mind the two games vs Barcelona in 08, which were two of the most dug in and brilliant defensive performances I have seen. Wes Brown was amazing in the second leg IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

indeed - I certainly didn't mind the two games vs Barcelona in 08, which were two of the most dug in and brilliant defensive performances I have seen. Wes Brown was amazing in the second leg IIRC.

I always remember Silvestre, picking up the ball after it was thrown to him ha but agreed brown was a beast in that game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

One thing I've noticed is he seems reasonably clueless when crosses come in. Often sticking a leg at them and allowing them to hit him more than anything. He can pull out a moment of magic but can also get bogged down with the ball. I think too much individual play from the attackers has been a big problem this season and in his time as a starter it's been no different.

Obviously he's done very well for his age and has great potential but I think he should be used a bit more sparingly than he has been, hopefully that's the case with Rooney back now. I'd prefer to see Memphis get a few games towards the end of the season tbh.

Wheres Bangkok today
    must be sitting in a corner rocking back and forth after the big man's goal????

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Liam O wrote: »
    Obviously he's done very well for his age and has great potential but I think he should be used a bit more sparingly than he has been, hopefully that's the case with Rooney back now. I'd prefer to see Memphis get a few games towards the end of the season tbh.

We've over relied on Martial all season and we'll do it now with Rashford. I could see...
    Rooney
    Martial - Lingard - Rashford

...or some combo of those four become the norm for the last few games. While I'd agree about Memphis, it strikes me that LVG, being under pressure and all, will not be taking any "risks" by playing players he doesn't trust or like. There's zero chance of seeing any experimentation over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Hococop wrote: »
    I always remember Silvestre, picking up the ball after it was thrown to him ha but agreed brown was a beast in that game

He was such a good defender to be fair, its a shame he had certain moments where he would just lapse in and out of consciousness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Lord TSC wrote: »
    We've over relied on Martial all season and we'll do it now with Rashford. I could see...
    Rooney
    Martial - Lingard - Rashford

...or some combo of those four become the norm for the last few games. While I'd agree about Memphis, it strikes me that LVG, being under pressure and all, will not be taking any "risks" by playing players he doesn't trust or like. There's zero chance of seeing any experimentation over the last few weeks.

Can't see Memphis getting a game to be honest. I'd also rather drop Lingard and stick Mata in if we end up going with the front 4 you posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Good point, only really noticed it since we haven't won anything in a few years. Fergie was winning most other things so didn't notice as much.

As much as van Gaal has frustrated me I would like him to go out having won at least one trophy

On Ferdinand, it was because he was serving a missing drugs test ban, the team won while he was there (2004).

Marca saying they have a source in OT saying Giggs is set to be the next manager.

Feel my stomach turning. Desperately trying to believe it's not true...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Marca saying they have a source in OT saying Giggs is set to be the next manager.

The longer LVG hangs around the more I belive it too be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's like the club is trying to create this artificial legacy, they've pissed away so much money in the last 3 seasons with 0 success, you'd think they would have learned by now. If Giggs comes in and wins anything, it will be by sheer fluke. There is nothing suggesting he can make the step up as Guardiola did.

What's worse is watching any of the ex-footballer commentators on TV, no matter how crap an ex player caretaker or assistant manager is doing, they all want that player given a chance at the job permanently, Alan "Relegated Newcastle" Shearer being the worst of them.

• Advertisement

I can't believe the club are going to tempt faith like that, surely Mourinho is the next manager, giving us the best possible chance to bounce back.

I think United are done for as a top club if Giggs is given the job, I don't see how we get back from giving our rivals 6-7 years of building whilst we are in disarray. I'm not a big believer in the Guardiola hype but he'll obliterate Giggs, we are well on course to becoming Liverpool, people say we are making too much money to collapse but the sponsors will abandon ship eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I think United are done for as a top club if Giggs is given the job, we are well on course to becoming Liverpool,

ffhvXsS.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Bull**** if ya ask me.. Marca trying to sway Jose back to Madrid.. well that's my opinion of it anyways

Edit: seems to be comming from gazzetta Del sport article. Who are pretty much bull**** merchants

astrofool wrote: »
    On Ferdinand, it was because he was serving a missing drugs test ban, the team won while he was there (2004).

Yeah, my original point was that we have no players at all in the current team that have ever won the FA Cup with Utd. It was another poster who mentioned Ferdinand as an example of a player who hadn't won it with Utd.

• Lord TSC wrote: »

I'm honestly not sure why anyone is that surprised.

All evidence points to the board having no time for Jose. LVG would have been long gone if they really wanted him.

You have done it to yourselves by buying into the hype spinning by the media! Giggs hasn't been sitting on the sidelines with him for no reason.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm honestly not sure why anyone is that surprised.

All evidence points to the board having no time for Jose. LVG would have been long gone if they really wanted him.

You have done it to yourselves by buying into the hype spinning by the media! Giggs hasn't been sitting on the sidelines with him for no reason.

My belief stems from the fact that if the board wanted Giggs, then LVG could have been sacked months ago and Giggs installed instantly.

• Advertisement

My belief stems from the fact that if the board wanted Giggs, then LVG could have been sacked months ago and Giggs installed instantly.

I just think they still have faith in the LVG / Giggs handover plan and it's still going to happen but maybe earlier than expected (I.E. 2 years as opposed to 3)

Ogden is also saying today that PSG will join us in the race for Jose....get your charity cheque book out :mad:

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I just think they still have faith in the LVG / Giggs handover plan and it's still going to happen but maybe earlier than expected (I.E. 2 years as opposed to 3)

Up until this point in the year Moyes went, the same could have been said. And then he got sacked.

I do know it's a worry, but given how disgusted I would be with what you describe, for my own sanity, I have to believe the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Everytime we win there is LVG/giggs in articles. When we lose its Jose in Articles.. on Monday most of the press were creaming themselves about Jose and who he was going to sign. Then we win and all ofor a sudden it's LVG is staying and then handing over to giggs..

I for one am still thoroughly convinced that Jose Mourinho will be our new Manager come next season.

Up until this point in the year Moyes went, the same could have been said. And then he got sacked.

I do know it's a worry, but given how disgusted I would be with what you describe, for my own sanity, I have to believe the opposite.

I think we can all agree here.

I honestly feel that the official supporters club / fans and supporters holding shares in the company need to actually come out and protest if they want change.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement