Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

sky88 wrote: »
    What if Liverpool win europa and city the champions league.

I think I just threw up in my own mouth

What happens if they both finish outside top 4 and win the 2 cups, does 3rd place loose out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Unearthly wrote: »
    Most enjoyable non united week of European football ever

That's strange Your two bitter rivals Liverpool and city made it to European semi finals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

What happens if they both finish outside top 4 and win the 2 cups, does 3rd place loose out?

Max of 5 teams can go through.

If City and LFC won the respective cups and failed to get 4th, 4th would lose out on the CL spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

kstand wrote: »
    Will work for us again too, just not under LVG.
    I was watching some of the stuff on Sky today and there was this half hour doc about Rinus Michels. He trained the **** out of Ajax which was unheard of them Barca who hadn't won a league in 12 years took him on. And the first thing he said he noticed was that the Spannish players didn't respond well to any criticism either training or from the crowd in games or from the media. But the Dutch players from an early age were used to it. Now that spoke volumes to me. He (LVG) is used to berating people from an early age but it doesn't work elsewhere. Maybe that has something to do with it.

It could be but don't you think just as big a problem is players put of position and poor squad management.

One example of lvg that springs to mind for me is rashford he scores two goals in his first two games and lvg goes and plays him on the right win for God sake.

Ashley Young out of the team with injuries on his comeback in the under 21s he plays a decent game as a center forward and lvg plays him there in a must win game for first team.

As we have said before two years into the job and he hasn't a clue if his players best positions.

He is a spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Could have sworn this is the United thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

sky88 wrote: »
    What if Liverpool win europa and city the champions league.

I think I just threw up in my own mouth

Absolutely no chance of City winning the Champions League. Bayern, Real, Atletico. One of them will comfortably deal with City.

Liverpool though, they're probably going to win the EL. Villareal, Shakhtar and and Sevilla or Bilbao. That's a comfy final four for them whoever they get after beating Dortmund.

Liverpool being in the CL next season and us not could have serious ramifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Could have sworn this is the United thread.

I'm torn between agreeing with you and thinking 'let them have their moment, it's such a small victory and only comes around once every few years.'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Just goes to show Klopp is able to inspire players, even average players, to perform beyond their level. Our manager on the other hand....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I didn't see the game on Sunday, I was driving so listened to it on Newstalk. When the 2nd Spurs goal went in the commentator casually said something like "And United are beaten", and I remember thinking "Beaten? Isn't there about 20 minutes left?"

But straight away I realised that he was right, there was absolutely no expectation whatsoever that United would battle back from 2-0 down. No belief that Van Gaals's sterile, gutless team would ever bring a performance to rescue that game. There was about 20 minutes left but United were indeed already beaten, the 3rd goal only reinforced what everybody already knew.

Watching Liverpool tonight only brings home just how enjoyable passionate, gutsy, unrestrained, battling performances can be, how important nights like that are to a teams mentality, and how disappointing it is that under Mr Notebook we won't ever see any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm torn between agreeing with you and thinking 'let them have their moment, it's such a small victory and only comes around once every few years.'

It won't be a small victory if they win it, get CL for next year and we do not. I'll be so so salty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

J. Marston wrote: »
    Absolutely no chance of City winning the Champions League. Bayern, Real, Atletico. One of them will comfortably deal with City.

Liverpool though, they're probably going to win the EL. Villareal, Shakhtar and and Sevilla or Bilbao. That's a comfy final four for them whoever they get after beating Dortmund.

Liverpool being in the CL next season and us not could have serious ramifications.

None of those teams are easy. Shaktar prob the best draw but remember what Bilbao did to United a few years ago? They're pretty much the same level now.

Eastenders is comical tonight, really enjoying it

Missed it! Omnibus on Sunday!

Cheese lads, good sports!

Quandary wrote: »
    Just goes to show Klopp is able to inspire players, even average players, to perform beyond their level. Our manager on the other hand....

Absolutely, Fergie was exceptional at that too, we have been lacking balls since he left.

The thought of Giggs or LVG at the helm next season fills me with dread.

If we don't sort our house out we will spend the next 2 to 3 seasons at a minimum scrambling around the EL places every season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It just makes me want rid of Van Gaal and Mourinho in as soon as possible, Mourinho could win the FA cup and get 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

kstand wrote: »
    Will work for us again too, just not under LVG.
    I was watching some of the stuff on Sky today and there was this half hour doc about Rinus Michels. He trained the **** out of Ajax which was unheard of them Barca who hadn't won a league in 12 years took him on. And the first thing he said he noticed was that the Spannish players didn't respond well to any criticism either training or from the crowd in games or from the media. But the Dutch players from an early age were used to it. Now that spoke volumes to me. He (LVG) is used to berating people from an early age but it doesn't work elsewhere. Maybe that has something to do with it.

In fairness though Fergie had similar tactics, I just think Fergie has probably dealt with the changing face of global football and foreign players better. LvG's success at Ajax was when the team was young but the team, even the foreign players, were well established in Amsterdam. The football landscape in 2016 is very very different than it was in 1994/95

LvG did very well to adapt at other clubs over a few years but Fergie was an anomaly in that he kept with the berating tactics you mention but accepted how to manage talent as youth players got richer and foreign players came in to English squads more. I think that's what the difference is: LvG is stubborn, his way or nothing. Fergie was clever, strong authoritarian but mindful of different players and how to handle them in a way that was not stand-offish, but still let them know he was in charge. That's what LvG lacks. You can only berate players that want to play for you. Excuse me for bringing up Gerrard but in his recent autobiography he mentioned how Rafa Benitez would never give him an ounce of encouragement. Instead of hating him, it just made him want to improve more, kind of like trying to impress your father - as if nothing you do will be good enough but you keep trying. With Fergie I think it was the same. Players wanted to play for him and upped their game because of his berating. LvG hasn't gotten that balance, his berating is pushing players away. And in this era with agents in their ear it's easier for them to just be pushed away and have their egos massaged elsewhere if you don't manage it correctly. (see: Di Maria)

In short I think there's something in what you're saying. To have the style he has, he has to be mindful that the players and the youth players he deals with now are vastly different to the Kluiverts, Blinds and Overmars' that he had back in the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I would love to hear what Klopp had to say at half time!!!

Being able to inspire and motivate the players to fight back is something I feel LVG hasn't been able to do. In our games whenever we go a couple goals down, all belief seems to be lost in the players as well as the fans.

Being able to inspire and motivate the players to fight back is something I feel LVG hasn't been able to do. In our games whenever we go a couple goals down, all belief seems to be lost in the players as well as the fans.

I said a couple of months ago how much it irks me that LVG stays seated for all of our games.

Klopp and managers like him are visible to the players throughout, he goes through what the fans are going through, that would inspire players to give that little bit more, to push when they cant push anymore, to physically harangue your opponents, to show some fight and passion for the jersey.

Instead we have a tit with a clipboard and Giggsy looking like someone that has just wandered into a homeless shelter looking for a bowl of soup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

jayo26 wrote: »
    :):):):):):):):):)

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Still think that..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

God our manager is LVG ! No way does he inspire like what we seen tonight ! Get Jose in ASAP

• Advertisement

Milkers wrote: »

Surely you can enjoy the moment without reading back threw a rivals thread to pic out stuff that makes you feel better.

How about you quote the line i said about fair play to them and it was a great game or where another person said ye deserved it.

There was some messing in here but no snide remarks or anything out of order and most are actually happy enough to see them go threw.

Go back into your box for another few weeks now ya clown.

It just makes me want rid of Van Gaal and Mourinho in as soon as possible, Mourinho could win the FA cup and get 4th

Jose will be in another job by the end of next season when lvg is finished.

The big difference is the passion klopp shows its great for the team to play for a manager like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Liam O wrote: »
    Amazing a team with the mighty Coutinho could be losing to a team with someone like that who only has only won 3 league titles and a German cup. Clearly not fit to lace his boots.

One word....

Istanbul

Sorry two words actually..

Remember Istanbul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Any true Man Utd supporter would never say well done or fairplay to that lot..........I despise them and their support.....
    The rules of this forum stop me from venting but let me say this ..... I hope they lose every game they play and don't qualify for anything especially the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Just give them their pat on the head that they came looking for lads.

downwesht wrote: »
    Any true Man Utd supporter would never say well done or fairplay to that lot..........I despise them and their support.....
    The rules of this forum stop me from venting but let me say this ..... I hope they lose every game they play and don't qualify for anything especially the CL.

That is pure and utter drivel. Who the hell are you to make up a rule on who is a true united fan or not.

If i think they have done well and deserve to go threw im adult enough to say it dont mean I want them to do well ir want them to win.

I grew up in a house with 3 clowns of brothers that are Liverpool fans spitting out hate about united every second they can get thats pathetic.

It's all a bit of fun and banter to let it upset your life like that we'll your not a true useful person to have around.

I love the slagging and pisstaking thats all it is. I hate to see them doing well and I hate any supporter that goes over the top to get in the face of another fan I think it's childish.

If you have time to fill your life with hate like that we'll off with ya you need to get out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

We wouldn't want it any other way in fairness.

• On with the villa match..

We should be really looking to rest players IMO

Rooney should be fit to start

• Advertisement

• niallo27 wrote: »
    We wouldn't want it any other way in fairness.

I was lining up Facebook for a Liverpool fan hammering but some of the other utd lads shot the load too soon. The aftermath was hilarious tbf

Well spewed out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    On with the villa match..

We should be really looking to rest players IMO

Rooney should be fit to start

Should be fit to start, and should be given as start, are two different things mind ;) . That said, if we have to play him at some point it might as well be against Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I was lining up Facebook for a Liverpool fan hammering but some of the other utd lads shot the load too soon. The aftermath was hilarious tbf

Sent a picture of Kagawa at HT to a lad who I've argued the Kagawa being better than Coutinho while they were both in the PL and am regretting it now :p

Billy86 wrote: »
    Should be fit to start, and should be given as start, are two different things mind ;) . That said, if we have to play him at some point it might as well be against Villa.

Id start him and let rashford run at them for last 30 minutes if need be. Need to make him hungry.

• jayo26 wrote: »
    Id start him and let rashford run at them for last 30 minutes if need be. Need to make him hungry.

He needs resting though. As does martial IMO

Fellani and Rooney to start against villa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

You could pick a United Superthread XI that would beat Villa.

I'm up front, obviously.

And captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Milkers wrote: »

You still haven't quoted anyone here who said fair play to Liverpool. Nope? Should you not be enjoying your victory somewhere else? If the shoe was on the other foot and it was United going through, I sure as gell wouldn't be trawling through a rival teams thread trying to be witty or rake in the thanks.

He needs resting though. As does martial IMO

Fellani and Rooney to start against villa

Rashford prob does more so then martial but how Can you rest him with goals like that coming out of him.

See thats what is wrong with this generation in too big a rush to post stuff up and collect the thanks with complete disregaurd for the internet mockers gods..

Respect the internet gods or you could spend an eternity watching football matches where the team you want to lose comes from behind to win.

Fr.Mick

• jayo26 wrote: »
    Rashford prob does more so then martial but how Can you rest him with goals like that coming out of him.

Because if we can't beat Aston piss poor villa without two teenagers and regardless of who the manager is then there's something seriously wrong

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    You could pick a United Superthread XI that would beat Villa.

I'm up front, obviously.

And captain.

I call 3rd choice goaly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

The history between the clubs has some very large acts of kindness on both side. Yes they are large rivals but since it isn't against utd and I don't think city will win the cl I'm happy to see a Liverpool side give a great performance and response like they did after going two down twice.

Well done pool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

The history between the clubs has some very large acts of kindness on both side. Yes they are large rivals but since it isn't against utd and I don't think city will win the cl I'm happy to see a Liverpool side give a great performance and response like they did after going two down twice.

Well done pool

Really, this is the United thread. Jog on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

bLhi830.gif

Ah here. Have one of these, ........special delivery.

246_001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I could be alone here, but even with the likes of City and Liverpool I always hope they win in Europe. In the bigger picture it shows that the PL is a great league, and that reflect's good on United IMO. I was hoping for them both to win over the couple of days. I hate them of course, but I especially hate Uefalona, Ego Madrid and how Uefa itself belittles the EPL. Of course in the league it's a completely different story.

Anyone else think the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Eastenders is comical tonight, really enjoying it

It's ok you can catch up with the omnibus today chief :pac:pac::pac::pac:

Liam O wrote: »
    Amazing a team with the mighty Coutinho could be losing to a team with someone like that who only has only won 3 league titles and a German cup. Clearly not fit to lace his boots.

yup the amazing Coutinho.. this is what he is, thanks!

It's crazy....someone over on the eastenders stated Origi is Martial and Rashford rolled into one....but better

YUP YOU ARE CORRECT CHIEF! :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement