Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

markc91 wrote: »
    Well........If our neighbours had of been beaten, If Carlsberg done non-united weeks of European Football.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

jayo26 wrote: »
    It could be but don't you think just as big a problem is players put of position and poor squad management.

One example of lvg that springs to mind for me is rashford he scores two goals in his first two games and lvg goes and plays him on the right win for God sake.

Ashley Young out of the team with injuries on his comeback in the under 21s he plays a decent game as a center forward and lvg plays him there in a must win game for first team.

As we have said before two years into the job and he hasn't a clue if his players best positions.

He is a spoofer.

In total fairness, he's your best manager since Moyes

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Could have sworn this is the United thread.
    :pac: it was when iverpool were losing chief, just an observation though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

uncle_phil.jpg

downwesht wrote: »
    Any true Man Utd supporter would never say well done or fairplay to that lot..........I despise them and their support.....
    The rules of this forum stop me from venting but let me say this ..... I hope they lose every game they play and don't qualify for anything especially the CL.

wow do you even follow football or even know your team's squad? Are you one of the many utd fans now who 'dont follow football now' ?

You Sir, are a curse on football and quite frankly any sport

Every so often I treat myself to come in to look at some United debate/banter, instead of coming into this crap mada999. Relax yourself and stop spamming up these pages good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

It's like a cat turning up at the owners door step with a dead bird. "Look what I did, aren't I just great"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

fire_community.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

So Villa at the weekend, Palace midweek before the cup semi.

Should beat Villa, would have to fancy us against Palace too.

Ideally we should be resting Rashford and Martial at the weekend, Martial in particular has played a lot of ball and I thought he looked very tired against WHU.

Start with Rooney up front vs Villa and see how we go.

• Advertisement

• Someone is gonna have a mada-hangover this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Someone is gonna have a mada-hangover this morning!

He must have been on the beer last night :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

http://store.manutd.com/stores/manutd/en

Lads 70% off jerseys on the store, im in australia and got two jerseys (home and away) including delivery for 70 dollars which is less than 50 euro. All sizes in stock at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/manchester-united/manchester-united-set-to-appoint-ryan-giggs-as-their-next-manager-report-34627199.html

Anyone think Giggs as Manager and LVG as Director of Football is the "perfect" managerial setup for next year? I think this solution could be favoured by the directors who want to honour their commitment to LVG but recognise the putrid football he has the team playing can't continue so giving Giggs his opportunity is (in pool terms) a "shot to nothing" as there is little downside to giving a club legend the chance to become the next Pep Guardiola whilst at the same time it keeps Mourinho out of the club and SAF and SCB happy.

Just a theory but given Blanc is likely to get the door at PSG where Mourinho would be welcomed with open arms I think it's more likely than not to be how things shape up next year.

• Can anyone remember the last time the board came out and publicly backed LVG?

Also, if finance is the priority at the club, surely the board is alarmed at the recent finance report and to the obvious reasons why it's dipping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Can anyone remember the last time the board came out and publicly backed LVG?

Surely it must of been one of eds investement briefings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Really, this is the United thread. Jog on.

Get a life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Can anyone remember the last time the board came out and publicly backed LVG?

Also, if finance is the priority at the club, surely the board is alarmed at the recent finance report and to the obvious reasons why it's dipping

M!Ck^ the dip in value is in line with the general drop in Markets worldwide over the last 6-9 months. These things rise and fall and the value will go back up in time and will fall in times of success.

Success on the field is only one of the influencers in the share price. Looking at everything on the non football side of business Manchester United Inc is exceeding all of its targets and therefore has a strong share value.

The red tops love to attribute the drop in value to the drop in performances but its lazy journalism to suit their narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

brinty wrote: »
    M!Ck^ the dip in value is in line with the general drop in Markets worldwide over the last 6-9 months. These things rise and fall and the value will go back up in time and will fall in times of success.

I don't believe this is true - as far as I am aware the united share value has significantly under performed when viewed against the market average. There has been a lot of volatility in the markets in the last year, hitting record lows at times, but I think they have rebounded and in general (on average) recovered their positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Anyone think Giggs as Manager and LVG as Director of Football is the "perfect" managerial setup for next year?

Horrendous :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I don't believe this is true - as far as I am aware the united share value has significantly under performed when viewed against the market average. There has been a lot of volatility in the markets in the last year, hitting record lows at times, but I think they have rebounded and in general (on average) recovered their positions.

You could be right Mitch, I don't watch the stock markets daily but I thought shares were still a bit down on where they were say this time last year. I could be wrong.

In terms of underperforming I think its how you measure the performance personally. In general stock markets measure things by revenue numbers and if a company meets that prices tend to go up (not always of course). With all of the commercial deals etc the club has exceeded its revenue targets for the last number of quarters.

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    You could be right Mitch, I don't watch the stock markets daily but I thought shares were still a bit down on where they were say this time last year. I could be wrong.

In terms of underperforming I think its how you measure the performance personally. In general stock markets measure things by revenue numbers and if a company meets that prices tend to go up (not always of course). With all of the commercial deals etc the club has exceeded its revenue targets for the last number of quarters.
    From what I have read, the drop in the United share price is not in line with the performance of other companies - while all lost value towards the end of last year and the beginning of this year, they have mostly regained that lost ground and are up on the same time last year.

As regards the reason for any performance changes - it isn't just down to financial results. The performance of United on the pitch will matter - brokers are not idiots. If United continue to do poorly then the CL money is less likely to come in - which at the same time means the money coming in from adidas is also reduced (part of the contract) and United's global reach and popularity will decrease meaning sponsorship deals will become harder. The potential lack of marketable players would also be taken in to account. The stock market isn't purely reactionary to financial results, any broker worth their fee would be researching United and current/future earning potential (linked to all the above) before recommending purchases to their clients.

The United share price is down from near $20 in November to just over $14 now - that is a near 30% drop in 6 months. In comparison, the Dow Jones (I think that is the overall measure of NYSE performance) is at the same level now, basically, as it was on November 1st last year. There were big losses in its value through January, which started to rebound in February - through to regaining all lost ground by now.

NYSE 6 Month performance:

383309.jpg

MANU 6 Month performance:

383310.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think this solution could be favoured by the directors who want to honour their commitment to LVG

And exactly just what "commitment" do we have to Van Gaal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

I could be alone here, but even with the likes of City and Liverpool I always hope they win in Europe. In the bigger picture it shows that the PL is a great league, and that reflect's good on United IMO. I was hoping for them both to win over the couple of days. I hate them of course, but I especially hate Uefalona, Ego Madrid and how Uefa itself belittles the EPL. Of course in the league it's a completely different story.

Anyone else think the same?

You are probably alone here, fair play to Liverpool and all that for last night but I would never want either of them to win anything especially in Europe.

patmac wrote: »
    Add your reply here.
    You are probably alone here, fair play to Liverpool and all that for last night but I would never want either of them to win anything especially in Europe.

From a pragmatic point of view I want to see other english clubs do relatively well - but not actually win the competitions. England were in relative danger of losing the 4th CL spot, the performance of City and Liverpool have protected that for another couple of years I believe. Certainly don't want to see either win the trophies though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

From a pragmatic point of view I want to see other english clubs do relatively well - but not actually win the competitions. England were in relative danger of losing the 4th CL spot, the performance of City and Liverpool have protected that for another couple of years I believe. Certainly don't want to see either win the trophies though.

Those 2 winning in Europe means even 4th for us doesn't guarantee CL football.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

In a way, I wouldn't mind City winning the CL, cause it would put even more pressure on Pep to win it next year. People talked about Pep taking an easier job a few months back, but the pressure at City next year is going to be crazy; he'll be expected to be challenging for the title AND at least equaling their European position from this season.

Still, **** City, hope they lose :P

Bastian out for the rest of the season - LVG confirmed in the presser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No no no, please No City win CL

No no no, please No City win CL

Actually, imagine a City vs Bayern final. That'd be a tough one for Pep :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Surely we all want City in the Europa league, United in the CL and Liverpool having another being so close yet so slippy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lord TSC wrote: »

Well the word 'awkward' comes to mind lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Even tougher if city don't get fourth. Then pep has to watch either bayern lose or condemn city to europa league next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/720929993400983552

Happy?!

OpoQQ.jpg
    Louis van Gaal: "We are in the race for the first four positions in the league and still in the FA Cup, so I'm very happy about that." #mufc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Even tougher if city don't get fourth. Then pep has to watch either bayern lose or condemn city to europa league next season

That would be a nightmare situation for pep!!!

I love it though :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If Villa are going to get a result against anybody, it's going to be us isn't it

If Villa are going to get a result against anybody, it's going to be us isn't it

Villa 242 chances created,United 243 created.....The two lowest in the league.It doesn't scream goalfest.

Imagine if city are 5th in premier league and play bayern in final and only way they qualified for European cup next year was beating bayern. Imagine the tears in peps eyes.

zerks wrote: »
    Villa 242 chances created,United 243 created.....The two lowest in the league.It doesn't scream goalfest.

Ugh, I was actually feeling confident before reading that :P

We should trounce Villa. They are the whipping boys of the league. We should be putting a few past them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Hopefully City's pursuit of progressing in the CL affects them in the prem.

Hoping that they might rest players in upcoming games only for it to backfire and lose some points.

At the moment things aren't looking great for us and the only way we are going to get into that top 4 is by the **** up of the teams around us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Ugh, I was actually feeling confident before reading that :P

We should trounce Villa. They are the whipping boys of the league. We should be putting a few past them.

We definitely won't though. I can see 0.0 at half time and maybe 1/2 nil at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

zerks wrote: »

Jesus H Christ, is that stat true?

Villa are one of the worst sides I've ever seen in the PL, that we can barely create as many chances as them beggars belief.

:(

Can't be true. We've been bad, but not Villa bad surely.

I agree, Villa are as horrible as Derby were some years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

In a way, Villa are better at creating chances than us as they have 242 chances with far less of the ball than we have had.

• Advertisement

:(

Can't be true. We've been bad, but not Villa bad surely.

I agree, Villa are as horrible as Derby were some years back.

Just goes to show how good our forwards are doing then

True.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

What's a chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The strikers are actually converting an awful lot of chances. The problem is a lack of interplay and everyone trying roy of the rovers moves with nobody supporting them. Look at the difference having Fellaini and Herrera (though he's been out of form) has made when they've played together in front of Carrick the last 2 seasons. Nearly all of the best performances have been with those 2 in the team. LVG being LVG though will try everything except for what actually works. Without stumbling upon those 2 playing well together last season United could have finished 7th or 8th imo, they've not played as much recently or this season in general and it's gone to pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

What's a chance?

http://optasports.com/news-area/blog-optas-event-definitions.aspx
    Goal Assist
    The final pass or pass-cum-shot leading to the recipient of the ball scoring a goal.
    Fantasy Goal Assist
    From Summer 2013, Opta have started to collect a range of other assists used by fantasy football, but also available to clients to determine their own definition should they wish
    • Heavily deflected pass
    • Shot on target saved, rebound scored
    • Shot blocked rebound scored
    • Shot hit woodwork rebound scored
    • Penalty won
    • Free kick won by foul
    • Free kick instigated by forced handball
    • Instigating own goal through shot/pass
    Second Assist/Key Pass
    A pass/cross that is instrumental in creating a goal-scoring opportunity, for example a corner or free-kick to a player who then assists an attempt, a chance-creating through ball or cross into a dangerous position.
    Key Pass
    The final pass or pass-cum-shot leading to the recipient of the ball having an attempt at goal without scoring.
    Chances Created
    Assists plus Key passes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement