Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Liam O wrote: »
    The strikers are actually converting an awful lot of chances. The problem is a lack of interplay and everyone trying roy of the rovers moves with nobody supporting them. Look at the difference having Fellaini and Herrera (though he's been out of form) has made when they've played together in front of Carrick the last 2 seasons. Nearly all of the best performances have been with those 2 in the team. LVG being LVG though will try everything except for what actually works. Without stumbling upon those 2 playing well together last season United could have finished 7th or 8th imo, they've not played as much recently or this season in general and it's gone to pants.

I think I seen stat of Rashford goal to shot radio was insanely high.

zerks wrote: »
    Bastian out for the rest of the season - LVG confirmed in the presser.

I ordered one of those discounted jerseys last night with 'Schweinsteiger 31' printed on the back, sorry lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

stankratz wrote: »
    I ordered one of those discounted jerseys last night with 'Schweinsteiger 31' printed on the back, sorry lads.

Take one for the team and buy a couple of discounted City jerseys with Aguero and De Bruyne on the back. In fact if you bought a De Bruyne one you would be helping club and country :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Take one for the team and buy a couple of discounted City jerseys with Aguero and De Bruyne on the back. In fact if you bought a De Bruyne one you would be helping club and country :D

Be a hero and buy one with Van Gaal printed on the back.

Be a hero and buy one with Van Gaal printed on the back.

What would his number be? That's the only trouble there. I think '13' is available since Lindegaard left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

There is absolutely no way we should be dropping any points against Aston Villa.

They are unbelievably s**t and deserve to be on the lower end of the Championship.

LVG will be a dead man if he loses tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What would his number be?

His number is "up".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Lads having a debate here would you take 4th place and be happy for lvg to stay or sacrifice top 4 to ensure mourinho gets the job? Personally would be the latter for me because I can see exactly what happened in this seasons campaign happening next season...thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

markc91 wrote: »
    Lads having a debate here would you take 4th place and be happy for lvg to stay or sacrifice top 4 to ensure mourinho gets the job? Personally would be the latter for me because I can see exactly what happened in this seasons campaign happening next season...thoughts?

I would rather enjoy watching the team with a bit of character in 3 competitions than not enjoy watching cardboard personalities in 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

LVG gone, not even a split second of hesitation tbh.

• Advertisement

LVG gone, not even a split second of hesitation tbh.

What about a choice between a cup win and lvg gone? I'd pick cup all day long.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

jayo26 wrote: »
    What about a choice between a cup win and lvg gone? I'd pick cup all day long.

Close for me but LVG gone. For the long term good of watching football.

Now top 4 or FA cup. I'd probably go FA cup but I know most won't agree.

Past the point of no return, I think he's gone no matter what. 4th and the FA Cup because it's the least we should be aiming for as a club and it would put a positive end to a dire season. Distant second to that, 4th and the FA Cup so that LVG can depart the club in May with his head held level.

Past the point of no return, I think he's gone no matter what. 4th and the FA Cup because it's the least we should be aiming for as a club and it would put a positive end to a dire season. Distant second to that, 4th and the FA Cup so that LVG can depart the club in May with his head held level.

I wish I could elect you to the board.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Close for me but LVG gone. For the long term good of watching football.

Now top 4 or FA cup. I'd probably go FA cup but I know most won't agree.

No i cant agree with that at all. For long term good of the club and watching football cup wins are most important we win a cup we celebrate and are happy for a short period but we have a trophie.

We all know what one trophie can do for a team now im not saying it could turn lvgs position around but if can rejuvenate players and young players for alot longer then next season.

Look at Liverpool last Night its so long since they won anything meaningfully they celebrating getting to the quarterfinals of Europa league as if they won the European cup thats what happens a cub without success.

No i cant agree with that at all. For long term good of the club and watching football cup wins are most important we win a cup we celebrate and are happy for a short period but we have a trophie.

We all know what one trophie can do for a team now im not saying it could turn lvgs position around but if can rejuvenate players and young players for alot longer then next season.

Look at Liverpool last Night its so long since they won anything meaningfully they celebrating getting to the quarterfinals of Europa league as if they won the European cup thats what happens a cub without success.

I take your point but what if we did win the FA cup and LVG stuck around, leaving Mourinho to go elsewhere, its highly likely we will be in a position that we can't get a top manager at the end of next season as there are none left!

Short term vs long term. An FA Cup won't do a damn thing to attract the level of players we need right now. An FA Cup, by next September, will be forgotten, but being stuck with LVG would be a disaster for next season.

Getting Jose in would be far, far better for the club than winning the FA Cup.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Short term vs long term. An FA Cup won't do a damn thing to attract the level of players we need right now. An FA Cup, by next September, will be forgotten, but being stuck with LVG would be a disaster for next season.

Getting Jose in would be far, far better for the club than winning the FA Cup.

Thats grand if we got jose in but I do not trust united to go for him. As you know I don't think lvg is going Anywhere but if he does who says giggs won't Be their choice?? I would put him as favourite before jose to get it.

So in that case would you give up an fa cup for giggs to take over?.? Damn feken right i wouldnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Anyone who thinks Ryan Giggs should be the next manager needs a lobotomy.

Unqualified.
    Has been around for the current mess.
    Admitted he couldn't sleep when he was only temporary manager and has to choose between picking the best team or his friends, took the easy choices.
    United senior team is not a testing site for a new manager.
    Giggs is not a big name when one thins of a manager.

The people who push Giggs as manager to replace LVG are doing so for personal friendship reasons, it can be the only reason, it is certainly not in United's interest to put in an untested person who has just 4 games of management at any level in the game.
    It is beyond ridiculous that anyone seriously pushes for Giggs as manager, they make themselves look stupid.
    United fans have suffered enough without people thinking Giggs is the answer, let him prove himself elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Thats grand if we got jose in but I do not trust united to go for him. As you know I don't think lvg is going Anywhere but if he does who says giggs won't Be their choice?? I would put him as favourite before jose to get it.

So in that case would you give up an fa cup for giggs to take over?.? Damn feken right i wouldnt.

I would give Giggs somewhere slightly lower than a 0% chance of being our next manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

RobertKK wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks Ryan Giggs should be the next manager needs a lobotomy.

Unqualified.
    Has been around for the current mess.
    Admitted he couldn't sleep when he was only temporary manager and has to choose between picking the best team or his friends, took the easy choices.
    United senior team is not a testing site for a new manager.
    Giggs is not a big name when one thins of a manager.

The people who push Giggs as manager to replace LVG are doing so for personal friendship reasons, it can be the only reason, it is certainly not in United's interest to put in an untested person who has just 4 games of management at any level in the game.
    It is beyond ridiculous that anyone seriously pushes for Giggs as manager, they make themselves look stupid.
    United fans have suffered enough without people thinking Giggs is the answer, let him prove himself elsewhere.

Agreed. Still 100% have him over LVG though :pac:

Billy86 wrote: »
    I would give Giggs somewhere slightly lower than a 0% chance of being our next manager.

Thats all well and good I feel the same id have him nowhere near the club but if jose is free and the club want him what logical reason do we have that we are sticking with a manager that can't stop a decline?

I used to think it was because of contract with Chelsea but jose has said he thought he would be back before now so logically it can't be hold up on his side??

Im not advocating for giggs to get the job but as long as this goes on it makes it look more and more likely thats what the club think.

Thats all well and good I feel the same id have him nowhere near the club but if jose is free and the club want him what logical reason do we have that we are sticking with a manager that can't stop a decline?

I used to think it was because of contract with Chelsea but jose has said he thought he would be back before now so logically it can't be hold up on his side??

Im not advocating for giggs to get the job but as long as this goes on it makes it look more and more likely thats what the club think.
    $$$. If we don't make top 4, he'll be fired the day after it becomes mathematically impossible to achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,976 ✭✭✭billyhead

Right folks. Lay your cards on the table who do you think will be the manager of Man Utd in August? For me its Mourinho. No smoke without fire. I think LVG will be sacked by mutual consent.

• Advertisement

$$$. If we don't make top 4, he'll be fired the day after it becomes mathematically impossible to achieve.

But missing out on top fore is worse for club. I follow line of thinking that if lvg was going he would be gone months ago.

At the very best I think that maybe giggs takes over this summer.

Anyway hope I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Probably a drab enough affair but hopefully we'll see a win and some more good performances from the young lads. He may though take a chance here and give Martial and Rashford a wee breather given they both look pretty wrecked. Young and Rooney could both start leaving us with something like this....

Predicted Line Up

DDG
    CBJ Smalling Blind Rojo
    Schneiderlin Fellaini
    Herrera
    Lingard Rooney Young​

Honestly, if we don't give these lads a rest tomorrow when will we? Palace on Wednesday and Everton next Saturday in the Cup semi final. Surely this is the match to take that chance in and also to give Rooney a chance to find some form which as we all know typically takes a few games after an injury.

billyhead wrote: »
    Right folks. Lay your cards on the table who do you think will be the manager of Man Utd in August? For me its Mourinho. No smoke without fire. I think LVG will be sacked by mutual consent.

VanGaal. We'll win the cup and he'll get the last year.

Honestly if we win the cup then I'd probably put up with it for a season.

But missing out on top fore is worse for club. I follow line of thinking that if lvg was going he would be gone months ago.

At the very best I think that maybe giggs takes over this summer.

Anyway hope I'm wrong.
    The thing is, a new manager wouldn't in any way guarantee us that CL money, and in such a short space of time it would still be unlikely that we crack it. Also depends on what LVG's contract is, the non CL get out clause and a bunch of stuff we don't have any access to.

The thing is, a new manager wouldn't in any way guarantee us that CL money, and in such a short space of time it would still be unlikely that we crack it. Also depends on what LVG's contract is, the non CL get out clause and a bunch of stuff we don't have any access to.

Any decent manager could have gotten this team into the top four had they took over at Christmas. It's criminal that we're missing out.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    Any decent manager could have gotten this team into the top four had they took over at Christmas. It's criminal that we're missing out.

Sacking him at Christmas would also have sent out negative messages to potential others managers, and again for all we know could have cost a hell of a lot more than missing out on CL football.

LVG also COULD still get us in, just like any other manager COULD have - neither is or was a guarantee of any sort. While it is clear that LVG is not the right person, and while our poor form against teams we should be beating rather easily is a good example of this, he has picked up wins over Arsenal, Liverpool, City and a draw away against Chelsea. There is no guarantee whatsoever that would have occurred under a different manager.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

Took an outside punt on Fellaini for my FPL team

is he likely to start tomorrow?

Sacking him at Christmas would also have sent out negative messages to potential others managers, and again for all we know could have cost a hell of a lot more than missing out on CL football.

LVG also COULD still get us in, just like any other manager COULD have - neither is or was a guarantee of any sort. While it is clear that LVG is not the right person, and while our poor form against teams we should be beating rather easily is a good example of this, he has picked up wins over Arsenal, Liverpool, City and a draw away against Chelsea. There is no guarantee whatsoever that would have occurred under a different manager.

The message it would have sent out to other potential managers is that we don't accept mediocrity.

Do you really think us sacking VanGaal after a truly awful year and a half which has been nothing short of farcical would have put off potential managers?

What about Madrid sacking managers at a rate of about 1 a season, or Chelsea, or City? Are those clubs able to still attract top class managers over and over again? Given that we can see they do then I don't see the problem.

A bigger issue to dissuade potential managers is the current slide we're on that if isn't addressed we'll be lucky to have the likes of Pardew in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Texas Jack wrote: »
    Took an outside punt on Fellaini for my FPL team

is he likely to start tomorrow?

We might see the same midfield lineup as the other night with Schneiderlin in instead of carrick, playing 4141, so its a big possibility seeing as its against Villa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Who gives a fúck? This is Man Utd, potential managers and players need to know that the kind of shít LVG has been shovelling up is not acceptable and you face the boot if you go out to play dull, negative, unwatchable football.

We're really in danger of sending out the same message Liverpool has for the last 25 years, that we're a great place to earn big bucks for little return as we tolerate any old ****e. Mediocrity will do as long as you kiss the badge often enough and wear T-shirts in support of emotional causes.

LVG should have been sacked before X-mas and it's another indictment of how the club is run that we could reach the end of the season with Ryan Giggs as our best option to takeover having failed to land any of the 4 best coaches in World when they were uniquely available.

That sends a very clear message to everyone that Man Utd is being run by a bunch of empty suits who haven't a clue what they're doing.

Korat wrote: »
    Who gives a fúck? This is Man Utd, potential managers and players need to know that the kind of shít LVG has been shovelling up is not acceptable and you face the boot if you go out to play dull, negative, unwatchable football.
    Potential managers give a fcuk. Whether you or I do or not is not particularly relevant.
    We're really in danger of sending out the same message Liverpool has for the last 25 years, that we're a great place to earn big bucks for little return as we tolerate any old ****e. Mediocrity will do as long as you kiss the badge often enough and wear T-shirts in support of emotional causes.

LVG should have been sacked before X-mas and it's another indictment of how the club is run that we could reach the end of the season with Ryan Giggs as our best option to takeover having failed to land any of the 4 best coaches in World when they were uniquely available.

That sends a very clear message to everyone that Man Utd is being run by a bunch of empty suits who haven't a clue what they're doing.
    One of Liverpool's biggest problems was actually not having enough money to compete with us in the 90s. Your analogy there is deeply, deeply flawed.

It's kind of startling that you consider Ryan Giggs as our best option, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and overlook that one.

If I am right, If Norwich get a draw against Sunderland in the early kickoff, Villa will be relegated before we play them.

Potential managers give a fcuk. Whether you or I do or not is not particularly relevant.

One of Liverpool's biggest problems was actually not having enough money to compete with us in the 90s. Your analogy there is deeply, deeply flawed.

It's kind of startling that you consider Ryan Giggs as our best option, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and overlook that one.

But what evidence do you have for saying that when all the actual evidence is to the contrary.

Since 2005
    Chelsea - 10 - Mourinho, Grant, Scolari, Hiddink, Ancilotti, AVB, DiMateo, Benitez, Mourinho, Hiddink

They've secured Conte as next manager.

City - 5 - Pierce, Ericcson, Hughes, Mancini, Pelligrini

They've secured Pep for next year.

Real - 9 - Lopez Carlo, Capello, Schuster, Ramos, Pelligrini, Mourinho, Ancilotti, Benitez, Zidane.

You can be sure they'll have another whopper next year when Zidane gets teh boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I don't remember hearing of any manager turning down a job at one of the world biggest clubs because he was worried about getting sacked if he wasn't a success. Even a second tier side like Liverpool could attract Klopp despite sacking Rodgers a few games into the season.

Are you actually a Utd fan?:confused:

Liverpool threw the kitchen sink at trying to buy success in the '90s they just bought a lot of ****e, which is very similar what's happening with us now.

I don't consider him to be a good option but I'm worried the board do and definitely Fergie and many others are pushing his case at the expense of bringing in a proven winner like Mourinho.

LVG was only a three year stop gap anyway and he was well down the list behind Ancelotti, Guardiola and Klopp so why wasn't he replaced as soon as they became available? :confused:

And for all we know, we have secured someone already in the event that LVG goes. Now I do agree, I would have preferred him gone earlier (I'd say it's tough to find almost anyone who doesn't agree there) but firing him for the sake of firing him wouldn't have achieved much without a plan behind it. Look at some of those Chelsea managers, they have no place managing a team like Chelsea but only got there because Chelsea were too busy sacking the last guy to think about who they really wanted for the next. Leading to them hiring the wrong guy, and focusing on sacking him rather than who they really wanted for the next. Leading to them hiring the wrong guy...

City are not in the situation you are claiming. Pellegrini is three seasons there, Mancini was four before him.

Madrid can do it because they have unlimited money, and managers go there knowing they can spend 100mn+ quite regularly while managing the likes of Ronaldo, Benzema, James, etc. Bad transfers play a role, and that's dating all the way back to Ferguson's last several years.

• Advertisement

Korat wrote: »
    I don't remember hearing of any manager turning down a job at one of the world biggest clubs because he was worried about getting sacked if he wasn't a success. Even a second tier side like Liverpool could attract Klopp despite sacking Rodgers a few games into the season.
    Because we don't hear about jobs that managers turn down. If Klopp was happy to go to Liverpool, he would have been happy to go to us. We just didn't make the offer.
    Are you actually a Utd fan?:confused:
    Don't be a prat.
    Liverpool threw the kitchen sink at trying to buy success in the '90s they just bought a lot of ****e, which is very similar what's happening with us now.
    Liverpool didn't even spend the most money out of teams from Liverpool in that timeframe on transfers.
    I don't consider him to be a good option but I'm worried the board do and definitely Fergie and many others are pushing his case at the expense of bringing in a proven winner like Mourinho.
    Like I said, I would give Giggs somewhere slightly lower than a 0% chance of being our next manager.
    LVG was only a three year stop gap anyway and he was well down the list behind Ancelotti, Guardiola and Klopp so why wasn't he replaced as soon as they became available? :confused:
    Can I see this list, please? And why do you think Klopp turned us down yet accepted Liverpools offer, since he was higher on this list than LVG?

Between the summers of 1992 and 1998 United spent 34.5m and sold for 34.25m.

Between the summers of 1992 and 1998 Liverpool spent 48.17m and sold for 18.55m.

By any metric, be it gross or net spend Liverpool out spent us in the early years of the premier league. This argument that we bought the league or someone only got on top of them through weight of money is fallacious and has been spread by the scouse support and media as a way to denigrate our success and to justify their failures. They outspent us almost every season in those early days of the league.

as Korat said they just constantly bough over priced crap and we spent smart and had a spectacular group of kids.

Edit: Just to add in the Everton Figures for Billy.

Between the summers of 1992 and 1998 Everton spent 45.7m and sold for 26.95m.

Net Spend between summer of 1992 and 1998

United - 0.25m
    Liverpool - 29.62
    Everton - 18.75

So by a considerable distance Liverpool outspent United especially and also Everton.

Figures all taken from http://www.transferleague.co.uk/

United - 0.25m
    Liverpool - 29.62
    Everton - 18.75

So by a considerable distance Liverpool outspent United especially and also Everton.

Everton were 18.73 afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Between the summers of 1992 and 1998 United spent 34.5m and sold for 34.25m.

Between the summers of 1992 and 1998 Liverpool spent 48.17m and sold for 18.55m.

By any metric, be it gross or net spend Liverpool out spent us in the early years of the premier league. This argument that we bought the league or someone only got on top of them through weight of money is fallacious and has been spread by the scouse support and media as a way to denigrate our success and to justify their failures. They outspent us almost every season in those early days of the league.

as Korat said they just constantly bough over priced crap and we spent smart and had a spectacular group of kids.

Edit: Just to add in the Everton Figures for Billy.

Between the summers of 1992 and 1998 Everton spent 45.7m and sold for 26.95m.

In fairness from 92 the United Academy started producing some unbelievable talent.

Some of those guys had teams built around them and would have walked into most teams.

Also it's mad the way fees have gone €50m now would only get one top class player!!

Crazy I remember the transfer record been smashed for Cole and thinking wow then collymore and was like wtf and then shearer blew them all out of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Have many ice creams did we sell between 96-03 anyone know?

United - 0.25m
    Liverpool - 29.62
    Everton - 18.75

Comparing a 1992 transfer with a 1998 transfer is a poor measure, because that's when we started to see the market really inflate. In 1993, Roy Keane broke the transfer record at 3.75mn. In 1998 we paid more than double that for Stam, more than 3 times that for Dwight Yorke, and we even paid more for Jesper Blumqvist.

Now, we did spend our money better (but transfers themselves are not a huge issue of mine regarding LVG, he's given some good youth players a breakthrough and by and large I like his signings... he just doesn't seem to know how to use them).

From 1989 - 1993 we spent 12.35mn
    In that same time, Liverpool spent 7.35mn

This is where we really got onto establishing our dominance, and also is the period where Liverpool fell off (1990 was the last time they won the league. I'm sure you know that but it's always nice to hear again :) ). In a time when the transfer record was under 3.5mn, that is a major difference. I don't know if it is even available unfortunately, but I would put a hefty wager that we also dwarfed them (and all others, barring probably Blackburn for a brief time) in wage budget by the end of this period.

That's the thing people forget about in terms of spend... if you get a guy n for £5mn, he is likely going to be on FAR less than the guy bought for £50mn. If 'Mr 5mn' is on 50k/wk, and 'Mr 50mn' is on 250k/wk, that is a difference of over £10mn for every year they are at the club. The sheer size of Old Trafford is always a nice financial bonus for us, but in the days before Sky's huge TV deals and every second match being on TV, it was far greater again. Plus we did an absolutely masterful job of capitalising on the newly glamourised sport with the advent of the Premiership & Sky that others could not match. This is possibly the single biggest reason we became so dominant in that period, and why Abramovich appeared to pose a bigger to us than anyone else when he first bought Chelsea.

After that, they got ahead of us on net spend but it was already too late for them. By 1993, not only did we have a bonafide team of stars (relative to the strength of the league at the time, I would contend that the post-Heysel years were the weakest period in the history of English football - something Utd played a big role in fixing up later in the decade, and even in '91), but we also had one of the best cycles of youth players in the entire history of the game (it's right up there with Ajax 70s, Ajax 90s and Barca 00s in that regard). Because of that, we barely needed to buy anyone, but a key part of Utd's strategy was always to be able to up the ante spending wise if and when needed (see: '98, '01), and had a negative net spend from 1993-97 as a result. But if needed, we were able to slam money right back into the team, which we did directly before winning the treble.

In that period of 93-97, Everton had a net spend of 25.7mn to Liverpool's 17.5mn. Though Liverpool did outspend them by 7.35mn to 400k in 89-93 (I had misremembered that as Everton spent more from 85-89).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Have many ice creams did we sell between 96-03 anyone know?

• Advertisement

Crazy I remember the transfer record been smashed for Cole and thinking wow then collymore and was like wtf and then shearer blew them all out of water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progression_of_British_football_transfer_fee_record

Worth a glance, it's crazy to watch the dramatic increase when looking to players bought by English clubs:

1970: 220k
    1980: 1.47mn
    1990: 1.5mn
    1996: 15mn
    2001: 28.1mn

After staying almost completely stagnant for a full decade to 1990, in the space of 6 years after it increased 10 fold, and in 11 years, almost 20 fold. The big money purchases stabilised since (now at 32mn a full 15 years later, so only a 50% increase and not nearly 2,000%) but the cost of the average, every-day Premiership player has shot right up to offset it somewhat. Which I guess shows a little more parity of finances in the league than there was 10-15 years back, while over in Spain a £60-80mn-ish transfer is barely something you would raise an eyebrow at these days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement