Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

xtal191 wrote: »
    What a ****e season

City seem to have found some form at the wrong time for us. I'd be more hopeful of catching Arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

jesus dont say that

I agree with him; the board are looking for any excuse to keep LVG; we qualify for champs league and I have no doubt he stays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

kona wrote: »
    He played alright against a rubbish team. Not good enough for a United winger.

What logic are you basing this on? He has a bad season?? We need a whole new squad then.

I have full faith if memphis was put with the right manager he will be one very very good top level player the problem is I know lvg isn't that manager and I extremely doubt that jose is either.

Memphis looks like he needs someone he wants to die for. He needs a manager that will love him I don't think lvg handled him right at the start didn't give him time to settle before he had him played out of position.

Memphis having a terrible season for us but still has 6 goals I think imagine if he stepped it up a couple gears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

jayo26 wrote: »
    What logic are you basing this on? He has a bad season?? We need a whole new squad then.

I have full faith if memphis was put with the right manager he will be one very very good top level player the problem is I know lvg isn't that manager and I extremely doubt that jose is either.

Memphis looks like he needs someone he wants to die for. He needs a manager that will love him I don't think lvg handled him right at the start didn't give him time to settle before he had him played out of position.

Memphis having a terrible season for us but still has 6 goals I think imagine if he stepped it up a couple gears.

The logic that I've watched him play and he's been rubbish.

6 goals is pathetic for a Manchester United winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Danny Higginbotham was co-commentator on NBCSN,he was 100% correct saying that LVG has gotten exciting attacking players and managed to turn them into robots.Any attacking instinct has been coached out of them and the only ones to buck the trend so far are Martial who's out of position and Rashford (who is only playing a short while under him).
    The process and the philosophy > freedom and creative attacking play.LVG will be delighted in how we controlled the ball for 84 minutes and did feck all with it.

• Advertisement

Never said he aint rubbish the team is having a terrible season. He has scored six goals in a team that has only scored about 55 goals all season so it's not just him.

I'm saying he has shown plenty of ability in the world cup and in the Dutch league to suggest given the right coaching he can improve.

Anyway courtois just did it again

nmdm4o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The race for 4th is not over.

Rooney has 7 and he's a CF.

The point is,our play is not a style to foster creativity and imagination.I reckon put that team under another manager with a modicum of adventure and they'd score freely with the players looking nothing like the automatons that LVG has turned them into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

The commentary on NBCSN was brilliant imo. BT should really take notes.

They talked a lot of truth about where things have gone wrong both at Utd and Villa, they discussed Menphis and Shaw and how Memphis' season was affected by Shaw's injury, the commentary wasn't bias, no crazy over the top statements made, they touched on the past and even made some light hearted jokes.

It was an easy game to watch and listen to whereas on BT all they seem to do is like Howard Webb's ass

• Advertisement

Today we scored our 40th league goal. In Sir Alex Ferguson’s final season, we had scored 40 goals by December 9th.That was a season that we didn't exactly set the world on fire with free flowing football but it was miles better than what we put up with now.............You'd swear we lost today the way fans are feeling.

zerks wrote: »
    Danny Higginbotham was co-commentator on NBCSN,he was 100% correct saying that LVG has gotten exciting attacking players and managed to turn them into robots.Any attacking instinct has been coached out of them and the only ones to buck the trend so far are Martial who's out of position and Rashford (who is only playing a short while under him).
    The process and the philosophy > freedom and creative attacking play.LVG will be delighted in how we controlled the ball for 84 minutes and did feck all with it.

Everytime I see them two names mentioned I just smile.

Rashford is still early days but if he keeps going like he is going and we can keep him and Martial.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

If not getting top 4 means LVG is 100% sacked I would happily take that. He is so poisonous at this stage that whatever it takes for him to be sacked is fine by me.

If lvg or Giggs are in charge next season then what little remaining faith I have in the club to do the right thing will evaporate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

RobertKK wrote: »
    The race for 4th is not over.

You mean mathematically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Ashley Young got 2 goals last year and lots of people thought he had a good season.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Never said he aint rubbish the team is having a terrible season. He has scored six goals in a team that has only scored about 55 goals all season so it's not just him.

I'm saying he has shown plenty of ability in the world cup and in the Dutch league to suggest given the right coaching he can improve.

And somebody asked how he did today and I told them.

he was rubbish against a team full of cannon fodder and Joleon lescott , today was made for him to run amok.

Ashley Young got 2 goals last year and lots of people thought he had a good season.

Ashley is a wing back and now a number nine... Get with the times man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I drafted Aguero into my FF team and made him captain.

Silver linings eh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Memphis did ok today. When he got the ball in the positions he should he looked dangerous and when he got the ball when the MO was to beat 2 players and shoot or cross with no support he didn't. Same as most players would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Silver linings eh!

I captained Martial over him ha! Really thought City would have had a more difficult game today. Can't believe we only scored 1 against Villa, it's awful.

• Advertisement

Do you think Ashley Young is good enough? Man United should have wingers and strikers that terrorise opposition.
    Ashley Young wouldn't terrorise any team.

The problem is pace , there's no speed in the team, we are screaming out for quick players who can beat a man. Funny it's what depay was bought to do. he did it once v midgetland . Not good enough.

I hope he improves tho. But at the minute he's a **** Nani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Quandary wrote: »
    If not getting top 4 means LVG is 100% sacked I would happily take that. He is so poisonous at this stage that whatever it takes for him to be sacked is fine by me.

If lvg or Giggs are in charge next season then what little remaining faith I have in the club to do the right thing will evaporate.

I don't want to lose games but the so called race for top four doesn't motivate me at all, mainly because I kinda don't see the point of being in Europe with Van Gaal as manager. Its not like things would be any different than this years european ****show, we would just have another boring gutless group stage and get beat by the first decent team we meet. Why would I look forward to that?

If Van Gaal isn't sacked then I am "meh" to scraping into the CL places, its would just be like a donkey lucking into a grand national spot, nice for the donkey but he ain't winning the damn thing.

I do want the FA cup though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

zerks wrote: »
    2015/16 - 32 games, 53 points, 40 goals, 30 conceded, +9 - Van Gaal can work wonders for our club,give him the chance.

2013/14 - 32 games, 54 points, 52 goals, 38 conceded, +14 - Moyes is a fraud. Deservedly sacked.

Miserable,absolute dross that sucks the enjoyment out of watching football.

Who is saying that right now, after 32 games?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

You mean mathematically?

Yeah, but it has been a strange season and I don't believe in accepting defeat until the possible is impossible.

Silver linings eh!

I drafted him a couple of game weeks ago as captain too. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Getting into a Champions League spot is not going to happen as we need Arsenal or City to really drop the ball. An FA Cup win would be a nice way for LVG to leave. It would be a dignified exit. But it might also save his job.

Any scenario that see's LVG gone is my preference. If it means losing every game from here till the end of the season then I'm ok with that. Short term pain for long term gain.

Silver linings eh!

Sanchez is mine but I have Aguero,De Bruyne and Rashford.Was hoping for a high scoring loss for City.

A bright moment in a dull afternoon.

333E529700000578-0-image-m-63_1460821239776.jpg

333E1E5700000578-0-image-a-59_1460821201499.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I'm actually starting to think that he will be here next season regardless !! It was shocking today ! When I seen us going for the corner flag towards the end , I was booing ! It was disgusting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

So Palace fans for a day now then?

Screw that, even if City or Arsenal slip up it's more likely West Ham would take advantage than Utd while LVG is in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

City have to play Arsenal so one or both are guaranteed to drop points, top 4 is there but Van Gaal hasn't got the ability to get it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://twitter.com/RedIssue/status/721409970978197504

Red Issue saying that Fergie & Co have accepted Jose is set to take over (though they say no deal is set yet). Say to expect Fergie's stance to change publicly in the next few weeks, and for the gushing over Jose to begin soon.

Lord TSC wrote: »

Red Issue saying that Fergie & Co have accepted Jose is set to take over (though they say no deal is set yet). Say to expect Fergie's stance to change publicly in the next few weeks, and for the gushing over Jose to begin soon.

LVG has bored them into submission.

City have to play Arsenal so one or both are guaranteed to drop points, top 4 is there but Van Gaal hasn't got the ability to get it

We still have Leicester, West Ham and some lower league sides like Bournemouth and Norwich which we've lost points to before this season and with the way we are playing probably will do again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

This summer transfer window is going to be carnage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

We can't defend corners for sh1t anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Smegball wrote: »
    This summer transfer window is going to be carnage.
    jose is ruthless with transfers he gets **** done and done quickly.

will he begin a cull of players when he takes over? if he does so be it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

jose is ruthless with transfers he gets **** done and done quickly.

will he begin a cull of players when he takes over? if he does so be it

Squad is so small at the moment he may not get rid of anyone straight away.He would need to be getting in about 4 players first before he could look at offloading imo

Lads something we've been lacking since Fergie has left is that 20 goal per season striker.

Do u think we'll be in the market for such a player this summer with either LVG/Jose or do u think players like Martial/Rashford/Memphis/Rooney will step up next season and be sufficient enough to get us where we want to be next season - the top!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Lads something we've been lacking since Fergie has left is that 20 goal per season striker.

Do u think we'll be in the market for such a player this summer with either LVG/Jose or do u think players like Martial/Rashford/Memphis/Rooney will step up next season and be sufficient enough to get us where we want to be next season - the top!!!

Martial and Rashford have the potential to become that type of player in future. Rooney though, IMO, won't score that many a season again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I'd be happy to go with a front three of Martial, Rashford and Rooney. Martial is a top class player imo, who should improve, given the chance to play regularly up top and develop his potential. Rashford has potential and has looked promising so far whereas Rooney has experience and can lend some knowledge to the younger lads.

The supply line and method of football is what needs to be changed imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

This is nonsense saying 6 goals is pathetic, Beckham and Giggs only averaged 7 or 8 goals a season playing in very attacking teams. Nani the same, Ronaldo being the obvious exception.

He's not been amazing by any standards but when ya look at how muck we have been all season then I wouldn't be writing him off. Depay in a fergie team would have got into double figures in IMO. Also the fact most of his goals have been in Europe give me a bit of hope that he will adapt a lot better next year to the league (hopefully under new management)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭Sand

mewe wrote: »
    I'd be happy to go with a front three of Martial, Rashford and Rooney. Martial is a top class player imo, who should improve, given the chance to play regularly up top and develop his potential. Rashford has potential and has looked promising so far whereas Rooney has experience and can lend some knowledge to the younger lads.

The supply line and method of football is what needs to be changed imo.

I think Rooney is done as a first team player at the top level. LVG bet his season on Rooney being the main man able to deliver 20-25 PL goals this season. That will very likely cost LVG his job in the summer.

Whoever is managing United next season, they will (hopefully) not rely on a triumvirate of an over the hill Rooney, a promising teenager and a potentially world class 20 year old to get them goals over a long PL season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Sand wrote: »
    I think Rooney is done as a first team player at the top level. LVG bet his season on Rooney being the main man able to deliver 20-25 PL goals this season. That will very likely cost LVG his job in the summer.

Whoever is managing United next season, they will (hopefully) not rely on a triumvirate of an over the hill Rooney, a promising teenager and a potentially world class 20 year old to get them goals over a long PL season.

I wouldn't write Rooney off yet. I wouldn't judge him or any player for that matter in the current system and under the current manager. Memphis for example has bags more potential than he is showing imo.

Rooney still has plenty to offer for me and can help the two lads develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i would just love for ed to grow a pair and sack van gaal.... we look like dithering tools at boardroom level now with the reluctance to remove the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lord TSC wrote: »

Please god!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Do you think Ashley Young is good enough? Man United should have wingers and strikers that terrorise opposition.
    Ashley Young wouldn't terrorise any team.

The problem is pace , there's no speed in the team, we are screaming out for quick players who can beat a man. Funny it's what depay was bought to do. he did it once v midgetland . Not good enough.

I hope he improves tho. But at the minute he's a **** Nani.

Ashley Young was never good enough for United and was a poor signing, no player signed since LVG took over can be rated until he is removed and they have at least a season to perform under somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Rashford made his debut in the last week of Feb and he has already scored 7 goals. 7 goals in 12 games is excellent record, even better considering he is just 18 year old and playing in Van Gaal's team.

This season he was promoted to U21s and by feb he was first team player. That's some fast tracking. Apart from the goals very much impressed with his overall game (not that he tries to drop deep like Rooney). He makes very good runs and he must be the quickest player in the team at least first 5-10 yards which counts for more than just raw pace over 100 mts. He is not afraid to take on the full back either.

Read stat that Rashford scored 4 goals in his last 5 shots (must be shot on target) and has a conversion rate of 50%.

Just like him, Fosu Mensah was also promoted to U21 this season and now looking very much part of first team. Looks as aggressive as they come playing in any position. Hopefully we see him playing in midfield few games. Love his interceptions and drive in the midfield.

Also average age of the squad was among the lowest. We have some excellent young players like Martial, Rashford, Shaw, Fosu Mensah, CBJ, Memphis. Not counting Januzaj and Pereira yet but I believe they are equally talented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Also average age of the squad was among the lowest. We have some excellent young players like Martial, Rashford, Shaw, Fosu Mensah, CBJ, Memphis. Not counting Januzaj and Pereira yet but I believe they are equally talented.

A lot of them only featured 'yet proved up to the task' due to inept squad management by LVG. We can only hope they see at least the same amount of game time when he is replaced.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement