Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Korat wrote: »
    He's not Arsene Wenger, he'll do whatever it takes to win trophies.

It's all very well nurturing young talent but what was the point if you don't win anything and they end up leaving in pursuit of success?

Very true. There would be no issue with Jose if he could stay at a club. He's great short term but will likely leave you with a lot of work to do in his wake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Have any of ye see martial play he does his fair share of tracking back. I didn't see all of yesterday's game but even against Westham I remember him covering the left back position when the other daft yoke was caught out of position.

I think if jose came in martial would be grand he is one the quietest hard working none dramatic players just what jose likes and rashford seems pretty much same a very mature player for his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Id love for Mourihno to come in right now, heck we could win the FA cup.

I would like him to continue playing some of the youth players that have come through like Rashford and Fosu but its Mourihno so i doubt he will.

2 signings that Mourihno needs to make for the summer is keeping DDG and a top CB to replace blind.

After that then id like a right winger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

gosplan wrote: »
    Very true. There would be no issue with Jose if he could stay at a club. He's great short term but will likely leave you with a lot of work to do in his wake.

Sure Ferguson left the squad in ruins too. Almost every managerial change brings with it a transitional phase where new players are brought in and some are sold. LVG is gonna leave a squad of players who can't score a goal so how much worse can it get. If Jose wins a few trophies, excites us all and leaves in 3 years it doesn't matter what way the squad is. It'll be fixed by the next guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

I'm very much in the pro-Mourinho camp. I'd have preferred Ancelotti, Klopp or Guardiola but he's the best option available now.

There are some people here who seem fundamentally opposed to Mourinho coming in. I'm curious as to whether those with resevations will get behind him if he gets the job. It could get very tedious listening to people bitch about the new manager before a ball is kicked next season.

Blanc would be my preference. Will play a much better style of football compared to what mourinho will bring and a lot less shenanigans. Dont expect good football with Murhino. If fans are happy with negative boring 1-0 wins well then good for them. But thats not the United way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Not a huge fan of Blanc either, he has progressed I think as a coach but still some serious doubts about him in my mind. I think its a curse as much as a blessing having had the GOAT managing the club for so long in that every other managers flaws seem to be highlighted even further, possibly unfairly!

Edit: Maybe its time to stop looking for the finished article in the next coach and take a chance on someone like Blanc, Pochettino etc and hope they progress even further and grow into the role with the step up, the Moyes period probably has people very fearful of that of course :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Robson99 wrote: »
    Blanc would be my preference. Will play a much better style of football compared to what mourinho will bring and a lot less shenanigans. Dont expect good football with Murhino. If fans are happy with negative boring 1-0 wins well then good for them. But thats not the United way

The United way should be winning, win ugly, win pretty, doesn't matter, winning is what matters.

As for Blanc, a no nothing league with limitless funds at his disposal, any manager would win the French league with PSG, at a canter too.

Leicester have played a nice brand of attacking football for much of this season, would you want Ranieri?

Not a huge fan of Blanc either, he has progressed I think as a coach but still some serious doubts about him in my mind. I think its a curse as much as a blessing having had the GOAT managing the club for so long in that every other managers flaws seem to be highlighted even further, possibly unfairly!

Maybe but there is a better chance IMO of Blanc playing football the United way compared to Murhino.
    Forget the results. Lets get back to playing good football. The results should follow.
    Yes I'd agree re the GOAT

The United way should be winning, win ugly, win pretty, doesn't matter, winning is what matters.

As for Blanc, a no nothing league with limitless funds at his disposal, any manager would win the French league with PSG, at a canter too.

Leicester have played a nice brand of attacking football for much of this season, would you want Ranieri?

See thats the problem some fans dont give a ****e what way we play once we win. Not me. And thats not the United tradition either.

Tell you one thing. Raneri would have us challenging for the league and playing good football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

See thats the problem some fans dont give a ****e what way we play once we win. Not me. And thats not the United tradition either.

Tell you one thing. Raneri would have us challenging for the league and playing good football

This is a ridiculous statement. Ranieiri is barely above average in terms of managers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Winning is everything.

Of course playing free flowing beautiful football a la Barcelona and winning the league would be great but in reality, they are the exception rather than the rule.

Ask most Arsenal fans, would they sacrifice the pretty football for a premier league title.

Id reckon most would do so and happily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Blanc is largely unproven IMO. He has done very well in France but that's it. The Premiership is as difficult as it gets for a manager. Despite the way his current Chelsea spell ended, Mourinho has proven he has what it takes to win the premiership. Right now Man Utd need to bounce back to challenge for the league title again. It is crucial that the club can be seen to win trophies without Fergie at the helm.

The "United way" of playing is romantic and at this point in time it is not realistic. In Fergies last couple of seasons, especially without Ronaldo, we played some ugly football but still were successful.

The old United way only worked when we had the players to execute it. We had a miracle generation of local young talent. A young Scholes and Keane in the middle along with great wide players like Beckham/Giggs bombing forward whipping quality crosses into good stikers. Even our full backs at the time Ie Neville, was able to provide quality delivery into the box from wide positions.

I would love more than anything to see Mourinho come in and take ownership of the team and style of play. The man has his faults but right now we need his quality and ability to win at all costs.

If Mourinho comes in and he flops then fair enough, but IMO he is the right man for the job for where we are right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

for me the United way isn't about a particular style of football - but more about the attitude of the team.

I don't mind the formation, or the play style - I just want to see a United side that actively looks to hammer teams, to make a mark - to take risks and go for the win.

Look at the liverpool game - we needed to push for goals and LVG makes two defensive substitutions to protect a useless draw. Against the worst side in the league we only just about scraped a win yesterday.

I on't mind defensive football when it is required - sometimes you just have to accept the opposition are better and you need to sit and counter (Barcelona 08 a brilliant example of that) but I feel United have become a side that sets themsevles up to stop the opposition rather than impress themselves upon the opposition. That is not the United way, imo. In most games, we should be looking to what we do best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Leicester make a mockery of the last two years at our club

They make it look so easy, sign of champions

Leicester make a mockery of the last two years at our club

They make it look so easy, sign of champions

Leicester make a mockery of every top team and they especially make a modern of wenger moaning about arsenal not having the money to challenge to win the league.

Leicester are a freak show its like every star in the galaxy has lined up for them at the correct time but this same team could by all possibilities finish mid table next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

No doubt players like Martial or even Depay will fulfill their potential more so than than under Van Gaal but let's face it lads, the club has shown such bad judgements that we are jumping the gun presuming they would do the correct thing and appoint Jose. Don't be shocked if nothing changes this summer. Even an FA cup win will be used as a defence of 'progress being made' I expect.

Liam O wrote: »
    This is a ridiculous statement. Ranieiri is barely above average in terms of managers.

Ridiculous really. Would Van Gaal gave Leicester challenging for the title. He has had us for two seasons and turned us into muck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Giggsy11 wrote: »

The Bild is as about reliable as the Sun. Take this with a pinch of salt boys.

Ridiculous really. Would Van Gaal gave Leicester challenging for the title. He has had us for two seasons and turned us into muck

It is impossible to answer such hypothetical's, same as it would be impossible to predict how Ranieri would do at United. He was getting the Leicester job for a reason, he has had a decent managerial career but he is nothing special at all.

Van Gaal didn't turn us into muck either tbh, we were muck when he took over.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

for me the United way isn't about a particular style of football - but more about the attitude of the team.

I don't mind the formation, or the play style - I just want to see a United side that actively looks to hammer teams, to make a mark - to take risks and go for the win.

Look at the liverpool game - we needed to push for goals and LVG makes two defensive substitutions to protect a useless draw. Against the worst side in the league we only just about scraped a win yesterday.

I on't mind defensive football when it is required - sometimes you just have to accept the opposition are better and you need to sit and counter (Barcelona 08 a brilliant example of that) but I feel United have become a side that sets themsevles up to stop the opposition rather than impress themselves upon the opposition. That is not the United way, imo. In most games, we should be looking to what we do best.
    This .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Would Van Gaal have gotten sacked with 4 losses from 4 including a loss to the Faroe Islands while managing a team that made it to the 2nd round of the WC a few months previous?

Meaningless comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

I'm sorry but anyone who wants Blanc ahead of Mourinho is mental IMO,

Quandary wrote: »
    Blanc is largely unproven IMO. He has done very well in France but that's it. The Premiership is as difficult as it gets for a manager. Despite the way his current Chelsea spell ended, Mourinho has proven he has what it takes to win the premiership. Right now Man Utd need to bounce back to challenge for the league title again. It is crucial that the club can be seen to win trophies without Fergie at the helm.

The "United way" of playing is romantic and at this point in time it is not realistic. In Fergies last couple of seasons, especially without Ronaldo, we played some ugly football but still were successful.

The old United way only worked when we had the players to execute it. We had a miracle generation of local young talent. A young Scholes and Keane in the middle along with great wide players like Beckham/Giggs bombing forward whipping quality crosses into good stikers. Even our full backs at the time Ie Neville, was able to provide quality delivery into the box from wide positions.

I would love more than anything to see Mourinho come in and take ownership of the team and style of play. The man has his faults but right now we need his quality and ability to win at all costs.

If Mourinho comes in and he flops then fair enough, but IMO he is the right man for the job for where we are right now.

The United way goes much further back than the days of a young Scholes and keane. Sir Matt had us playing attractive football and that'd the way it should be and it want winning at all costs. Thats a child's mentality
    If Mourhino was wanted by the powers that be at Utd he would have got the gig when Fergie was leaving. He didn't -I dont think you need to be a genius to work out why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

The United way goes much further back than the days of a young Scholes and keane. Sir Matt had us playing attractive football and that'd the way it should be and it want winning at all costs. Thats a child's mentality
    If Mourhino was wanted by the powers that be at Utd he would have got the gig when Fergie was leaving. He didn't -I dont think you need to be a genius to work out why

Things are different now though, I'm not a Mourinho fan but we need him to stop the rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

If the club want style over substance then they might as well appoint Giggs rather Blanc. Blanc has achieved nothing of significance to date.

There are dozens of managers who have done well in France without Qatari oil billions so what makes Blanc any better than previous Ligue 1 managerial imports like Allan Perrin, Jacques Santini or Remi Garde?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

The Utd board took Fergies advice and appointed Moyes, giving him a 6 year contract. Most lucid people had raised eyebrows when Moyes got the job and he ended up getting chewed up and spat out. The job was too big for him.

Then LVG was appointed and given every chance to imprint his style successfully. That has also failed spectacularly.

The club can't afford to make a another risky appointment. 3 years out in the wilderness without a sniff of success is starting to take its toll on the business side of the club. Adidas have already criticised the current style of play. If we were top of the league, playing LVG cautious football there wouldn't have been a peep out of them.

Results and success is what the club needs. Not even for us the fans but for the business side of the club. Playing style is secondary at this point. The United way is the drive and hunger to succeed, where the manager has his players motivated to run themselves into the ground and do whatever it takes to win.

Mourinho or someone of his calibre is exactly what is needed IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

After watching United all season, the Leicester - West Ham game gave me sensory overload.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

zerks wrote: »
    If the young players are good enough,they'll play.Plus I'd take a 0-0 in a big game now and then just so long as we are winning games handily against the so called beatable te ams.
    Jose has done this in the past,hammer a team 5-0 then be a bit more cagey against the big boys,so long as he didn't lose the game he was happy.
    United at present could barely dispatch a woeful Villa,Everton who were muck and so on-we could add any mid-table,relegation fodder team to that list,is anyone saying our current team under Jose would be having similar results?

Just going back to this post.

Something that freaks me about LVG is he has a single gameplan and uses it against every team. It doesn't matter if we're playing a massive big team or an utter minnow. He plays every single game the same way, makes subs at set times that feel as if they were decided before it started, and then moans after everygame that we need this or that but never makes any changes to reflect those thoughts.

Jose seems to change his plans to suit the team he's playing. Attack the minnows, grind out results against bigger teams. He seems able to analyse and adjust his plans, while LVG seems content to just try the same thing every time.

If the club want style over substance then they might as well appoint Giggs rather Blanc. Blanc has achieved nothing of significance to date.

There are dozens of managers who have done well in France without Qatari oil billions so what makes Blanc any better than previous Ligue 1 managerial imports like Allan Perrin, Jacques Santini or Remi Garde?

His time with Bodeaux was impressive in fairness to him, but he has plenty of question marks over him for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Gunners 1 up.Half the stadium didn't see it as they were at the jacks or grabbing a burger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

zerks wrote: »
    Gunners 1 up.Half the stadium didn't see it as they were at the jacks or grabbing a burger.

I'm risking it here but Welbeck assisted and it was fabulous.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm risking it here but Welbeck assisted and it was fabulous.

yHWFdIB.gif

Welbeck was just not good enough for united simple as only a bit part player ;);););)

jayo26 wrote: »
    Welbeck was just not good enough for united simple as only a bit part player ;);););)

fUgwZz1.gif

jayo26 wrote: »

Just in case nobody has ever mentioned it before, Danny would be a great addition to any squad, versatile attacking player with pace, power and very good close control and skill.

Shame he forced through a permanent transfer but I would wish him luck anyway.

May never be your number 1 striker, but as a squad option? Certainly, shame he didn't want that role with us as he would be a very important first team player right now I have no doubt of that.

latest?cb=20140912213621

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Thanks Mars Bar for bringing up this great subject

Arsenal doing an Arsenal again.....1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Just in case nobody has ever mentioned it before, Danny would be a great addition to any squad, versatile attacking player with pace, power and very good close control and skill.

May never be your number 1 striker, but as a squad option? Certainly, shame he didn't want that role with us as he would be a very important first team player right now I have no doubt of that.

/danny debate

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Hopefully Palace can hang on!!!!

You do realise that Jayo is sitting there with a massive spoon stirring the shit and isn't serious?:p

• Advertisement

See that edit Zerkables

See that edit Zerkables

Too late,you had committed yourself.No backsies.:pac:

4 points of Wellbecks team now and we play before them midweek.

Points dropped by Arsenal!!

I feel like this top 4 dogfight might go to the wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

More of a cripple fight than a dog fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Points dropped by Arsenal!!

With the fixtures they have left I can't see us catching them and after City winning yesterday I feel top 4 is gone, with the season that it's been but I suppose you never know

If I have learned anything from watching football over the years it is simply that Arsenal, will Arsenal.

Glorious.

For us to get Top four id say we need to win all our remaining games but us winning six games in a row is a not happening thing lately we will drop points against Palace more then likely.

Juan8 wrote: »
    With the fixtures they have left I can't see us catching them and after City winning yesterday I feel top 4 is gone, with the season that it's been but I suppose you never know

Looking at the fixtures, it looks like a steep climb on our part but the PL is so unpredictable and like u said, you never know what might happen!

Don't do it to yourself, its the hope that will kill you in the end.

• Advertisement

Looking at the fixtures, it looks like a steep climb on our part but the PL is so unpredictable and like u said, you never know what might happen!

It'll be like this:

aqY5J9K.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement