Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Lukaku or Kane?

So the deal is we can have one of them. The transfer fee is the same, the wages are the same, no hassle straight buys at the start of the summer which of the two would you rather see us get?

2015/16 So Far
    Lukaku - P40 S25 A6
    Kane - P45 S29 A3

2014/15
    Lukaku - P48 S20 A7
    Kane - P50 S30 A5

Both turning 23 this summer. Both had 2 excellent seasons in a row, both big strong forwards who are well able to finish all different types of chances.

Which one do you pick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Jayop wrote: »
    Lukaku or Kane?

So the deal is we can have one of them. The transfer fee is the same, the wages are the same, no hassle straight buys at the start of the summer which of the two would you rather see us get?

2015/16 So Far
    Lukaku - P40 S25 A6
    Kane - P45 S29 A3

2014/15
    Lukaku - P48 S20 A7
    Kane - P50 S30 A5

Both turning 23 this summer. Both had 2 excellent seasons in a row, both big strong forwards who are well able to finish all different types of chances.

Which one do you pick?

Tough decision, probably Kane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lukaku.

The real question is which would work best with Martial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lukaku
    Kane won't leave spurs

Lukaku.

The real question is which would work best with Martial.

It's an interesting question too actually. I feel both of them would but I also feel that Lukaku is better suited to leading the line on his own but Kane would be better with a partner.

I'd have Kane from the two but it's a really tough call.

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Lukaku
    Kane won't leave spurs

That's not the question. I said if the deal was done and you just had to choose. Either would be gift wrapped for us.

Also, Kane would leave Spurs in a shot if a United or someone of that level came sniffing. They all do.

Shearer is the only one who couldn't have his head turned and back then the difference in wages offered isn't as much as it is now,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Also, Kane would leave Spurs in a shot if a United or someone of that level came sniffing. They all do.

Actually don't think he would. Why would he? Spurs have a good thing going. At least for the time being.

Lukaku would probably be gettable alright as Everton look to be going backwards if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Disagree. United are not on a higher level now and Kane would be a fool to leave regardless of previous history. Maybe in a year or two if Mourinho turns it around for United but Kane won't be going anywhere near United right now.

Actually don't think he would. Why would he? Spurs have a good thing going. At least for the time being.

Lukaku would probably be gettable alright as Everton look to be going backwards if anything.
    GSPfan wrote: »
    Disagree. United are not on a higher level now and Kane would be a fool to leave regardless of previous history. Maybe in a year or two if Mourinho turns it around for United but Kane won't be going anywhere near United right now.

300k a week says hello.

Edit: Just to add, he's currently reported to be on 45k a week at Spurs with them hoping to ward off United by offering him 70k. United would blow that out of the water so if you don't think he'd move out of a sense of loyalty then in my mind you're raving. It really doesn't matter if united are in a bad spot at the moment, players will follow the pound sign first and foremost and also regardless of league position United are a much much bigger club and the attraction of being one of the payers who gets us back to the top would be a challenge few top English players would refuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

300k a week says hello.

Edit: Just to add, he's currently reported to be on 45k a week at Spurs with them hoping to ward off United by offering him 70k. United would blow that out of the water so if you don't think he'd move out of a sense of loyalty then in my mind you're raving. It really doesn't matter if united are in a bad spot at the moment, players will follow the pound sign first and foremost and also regardless of league position United are a much much bigger club and the attraction of being one of the payers who gets us back to the top would be a challenge few top English players would refuse.

You think Harry Kane will only be offered 70k? Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Nalz wrote: »

Tbh, even if he is offered 150k, United could blow it out of the water. This idea that is becoming the norm in here that players will be looking at United in a negative light in comparison to a Spurs or Atletico is being over cooked. Money talks. Has done for years.

Edit: Just to add, I reckon Kane is pretty loyal to Spurs and maybe doesn't represent the average footballer. But the vast majority of players outside the big 5-10 clubs would choose United the majority of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

300k a week says hello.

Just don't think Kane has any intention of leaving Spurs. Zero. Very good young team. Great young manager. Champions League football. I'm sure he'll get a bumper new contract from Spurs. Might not be for 300K a week but it'll be enough to keep him happy there. For the short term at least. Don't think getting United back to the top would even come into his thinking to be honest. If he leaves it'll be because of money and if things start to unravel at Spurs a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Lukaku or Kane?

2015/16 So Far
    Lukaku - P40 S25 A6
    Kane - P45 S29 A3

2014/15
    Lukaku - P48 S20 A7
    Kane - P50 S30 A5

Which one do you pick?

Kane,

Lukaku would have scored much more by now but his head has dropped recently and hes not bothered for some reason whereas kane has been consistently trying and that should also be a massive factor.

Dont need another overpaid mercenary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Kane by a country mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Toobz wrote: »
    Kane,

Lukaku would have scored much more by now but his head has dropped recently and hes not bothered for some reason whereas kane has been consistently trying and that should also be a massive factor.

Lukaka to score the winner against us in the cup now.

:pac:

I'd probably go for Lukaka, he has done pretty much the same as Kane over the last two years but in a worse team.

Either would be fantastic but certainly with Kane I feel we'd have to break the world transfer record for him, Rom is much more gettable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Kane,

Thats because he knows he is coming to us in summer. Hope no one tells him we not gonna be in champs league.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Thats because he knows he is coming to us in summer. Hope no one tells him we not gonna be in champs league.

So long as he stays quiet on Saturday he'll be grand ;)

We might need to get Kate on the job for him....

So long as he stays quiet on Saturday he'll be grand ;)

We might need to get Kate on the job for him....

Kate is busy she is playing in the 5 aside fa cup semis

Nalz wrote: »

That's the figure being reported and considering they only gave him 45k last summer when clubs were already sniffing around I'd say it's pretty accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

jayo26 wrote: »

And what happens if he's a success at United and Madrid/Barca come in for him? Down tools again? If he moves to United he'll have amassed £100m+ in transfer fees by 23 and has he really delivered to that level?

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    And what happens if he's a success at United and Madrid/Barca come in for him? Down tools again? If he moves to United he'll have amassed £100m+ in transfer fees by 23 and has he really delivered to that level?

Agh Liam, stop being such a grouch..
    If he's a success and there's interest from a Barca, Real, Bayern or PSG... great
    There's no chance Kane comes to United

Lets no forget Robbie Keane has generated a similar level of transfer fees over the years.. he's hardly proven his ability at the biggest stages for his club..

To be honest I don't see how transfer fees is a stick to beat someone with.

Personally I don't think he has sulked I think the Everton team have downed tools since they have fek all left to play for and seem a bit hit and miss I was responding as in hope more so then I actually believe he is Coming to us.

Lukaku from what I see is one of the hardest working team players in the Everton squad he was asked some questions by the media and he responded honestly there is no proof that he had sulked or anything of the sort.

As for madrid or barca aint no player safe from them? We deal with it all the time.

If he's a success and there's interest from a Barca, Real, Bayern or PSG... great

Lets no forget Robbie Keane has generated a similar level of transfer fees over the years.. he's hardly proven his ability at the biggest stages for his club..

I was going to use Robbie (this is my childhood dream) Keane too but I thought he would be a terrible example haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Meh, it's one thing to push a move in the Summer but to down tools halfway through a season shows a lack of mental fortitude. Can't imagine any of the best players doing so really and don't need anyone else at the team with that kind of mindset tbh.

How much to reckon Kane/Lukaku would cost?

I'd imagine:

Kane: 80mil sterling
    Lukaku: 50-60mil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I'm not convinced the club needs to spend big on a striker like Lukaku. Unless we're offloading Rooney then we should only be looking at top shelf strikers, none of whom are likely to be available and definitely not within Woodward's ability to procure.

The lack of goals has been shocking this season but it's not because players have been blazing chances over the bar or failing to get on the end of crosses we've just been so negative that we've taken hardly any shots at all, our shots to goals ratio must be pretty good actually.

Lukaku isn't world class and is overpriced for what he is. I'd much rather the club spent way over the odds for a genuinely world class player who can address either our defensive problems or creativity problems.

Korat wrote: »

Lukaku isn't world class and is overpriced for what he is. I'd much rather the club spent way over the odds for a genuinely world class player who can address either our defensive problems or creativity problems.

Lukaku is only 22, he had nearly 5 years premierleague experience, he has scored goals in poor teams, he has over 80 goals scored in top level competitions by the age of 23??

Now you tell me what player thats get able can compete with them stats?

Going By current market and form Lukaku would be worth 60 million all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The hatred some people have for Rooney has for years baffled me. He's been poor this season but people have been on his case for years now ever since his first contract debacle.

I found his antics distasteful that the club were not matching his ambition. Who exactly filled his trophy cabinet for him. He didn't do it by himself.

And it's been evident since he held the club to ransom, his form and level has dipped bit by bit. Ferguson was doing Moyes a favour in retrospect, which he bundled first day in the door.

I wouldn't say I hate Rooney. I just feel he made a bold statement, and failed to back it up, and has disgracefully failed to provide a return on his outlandish demands and contracts.

I was supportive of him being the no.1 striker this season, but in retrospect that was a ridiculous stance to take as I've always been solid in my opinion of Rooney. World class in patches, barren spells in others, injured for the rest. And I've held that opinion for a large number of years now.

This season just probably hastened me to the conclusion he most likely won't recapture any sort of outlandish consistent form, and possibly is not capable of leading the line of a team looking to challenge for stuff.

I guess I do show that fickle fan side every now again. I took grave exception to his two contract deals, that have left him tarnished. On what should otherwise be a gloriously celebrated player, I struggle to give him the credit and accolades he otherwise deserves, for being his countries top goalscorer and possibly the clubs record goalscorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

People were saying the same thing about Benteke last season and the season before.

I haven't seen much of Lukaku but he was beyond rubbish against us this season. I'd rather buy back Chico to honest.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'm very excited about Rashford too by the way.

But him scoring a few goals in a few games in not a sensible reason to be complaining about Rooney.

I think it can be. While of course the crux of the blame lies with Van Gaal and his squad management, that our season has resolved around holding hope for a 19 year old for the first half of the season, and an 18 year old in the last number of weeks, doesn't really hold Rooney into a shining light either.

He was dreadful for large portions of the first half of the season, and then had his almost like clockwork big injury blow.

A big deal was made about him leading the line and being the number one man, and he utterly flattered to deceive. I'll accept there is alot of defence for him with the blame lieing being pointed at Van Gaal, but to be honest I'm not buying that. I expect the 5th highest paid player in the world, and after all the furor over him being our main striker, I expected more from him. Instead we got just about the same as usual, and actually worse.

I appreciate where you are coming from, but I totally get why people are looking at Rashford and comparing with Rooney. Beside the simple fact it is just what fans do, Rashford is operating at a peak right now of form and its incredible.

He will be better judged when he comes off the crest of the wave, which inevitably will happen. But his pace and enthusiasm has been a wonderful distraction.

Kane,

That is pretty evident from the fact he is operating in a massively under performing team, with a woefully inadequate manager.

That Lukaku has designed on playing for competitive teams and in the champions league is hardly being a mercenary. It's being ambitious. He is one of the hottest young strikers in world football, and is well on his way to being a bonafied world class striker through his mid 20's.

There comes a point where he must just get pissed off carrying ****e teams, or operating well below his station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tbh, even if he is offered 150k, United could blow it out of the water. This idea that is becoming the norm in here that players will be looking at United in a negative light in comparison to a Spurs or Atletico is being over cooked. Money talks. Has done for years.

I agree, never disagreed with that. What I would say is (a) there is no way Harry Kane will only be offerred 70k or less at Spurs should contact talks arise and (b) money has always talked for the majority of players but there's a lot of clubs out there doing a lot of talking if you get me.

Yeah, I'd argue he has massively over delivered for a player of his age operating in the teams he has.His goals ratios are frightening for his age.

And he hasn't downed tools, there are assumptions being made there. Don't forget that one of the BIG red flags with Everton for the second season now, is the reliance on Lukaku and him being run into the ground. He has played an extraordinary amount of first team games for his age, and seems to be really resiliant to injury.

Again Martinez went to market to find a replacement, got one, and has barely featured for Everton. And he is off to another international tournament this summer, missing out on more rest. He is a bit of a machine in terms of his endurance and fitness.

If he did move to United and after 2-3 season they were not meeting his targets, which would be CL minimum and challenging for titles then I'd have absolutely no issue with him acting like he is with Everton. He is a tremendous striker, and should be operating in a top team in the coming years.

Hopefully ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Lukaku flanked by Rashford and Martial would be dream territory. I'd play Herrera, Schniederlin and Mata behind them and Shaw, Smalling, Blind and Darmian (although I really like the young lad Valera going forward) behind them again.

It's not mad to think of United lining up with
    De Gea
    Darmian - Smalling - Blind - Shaw
    Schniderlin - Herrera
    Mata
    Rashford - Lukaku - Martial

That's a very strong team in my opinion. It's the squad depth that needs to be sorted as well, though.

People were saying the same thing about Benteke last season and the season before.

I haven't seen much of Lukaku but he was beyond rubbish against us this season. I'd rather buy back Chico to honest.

OK I guess you realise the own issue there is with that post, and you've kinda addressed it.

Granted I remember I think Bangkok "banging" on about Benteke, many of us, and I know I was, was definitely saying Lukaku was the better striker.

Maybe I'm so warped with Lukaku because I follow Daniel Storey on Twitter who provides me daily Lukaku stats :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Lukaku flanked by Rashford and Martial would be dream territory. I'd play Herrera, Schniederlin and Mata behind them and Shaw, Smalling, Blind and Darmian (although I really like the young lad Valera going forward) behind them again.

De Gea
    Schniderlin - Herrera
    Mata

That's a very strong team in my opinion. It's the squad depth that needs to be sorted as well, though.

Do you think De Gea will still be there next season?

emmetkenny wrote: »

If Madrid stick with Navas, yes he will. I'll leave the really speculative team XIs to others, I was merely illustrating how the single inclusion of Lukaku into the current United team would change things dramatically.

Lukaku was isolated against us they gave him no support whatsoever and made it easy for Blind to mark him out of the game but let's forget all the rest of what he has done this season and last season and the 2 season before that.

Its easy to pick out one game here and there but no one can argue with his consistent goals per game ratio.

And Benteke is another story he was having a terrible season last year up until Feb or March and banged in a glut of goals in the end, but ultimately I don't think he is a bad player I think he is in the wrong team he is a gifted finisher when given the run of games and confidence.

De Gea
    Schniderlin - Herrera
    Mata

To be honest our team on paper at the start of the season was outrageously strong. I think its become evident that teams on paper are totally worthless with Van Gaal in charge.

When I think back on star of the season, and by all means someone if they are arsed can dig up a post, think I was assuming something like the below, which again on paper I thought was really strong.

De Gea
    Darmian ---Smalling---Rojo---Shaw---
    Schneiderlan

Hererra
    Schweinsteiger
    ---Young
    Rooney
    Memphis

Didn't even have Martial in my team(although don't think he had signed). Then we went to some 4-2-3-1 and again I felt stupid for trying to make assumptions on team selection, as I have all season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

can't honestly see us not signing a top quality centre back. No way we can have another season of Blind as being our #1 partner of Smalling. Especially as sicknote Jones doesn't look like he can last more than a few games before injuring himself or others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

My problem with Rooney is not down to a few bad games or the emergence of new players, but his standing compared to other number 1 strikers in general. He scores in bursts, then is a liability for a number of weeks. When City play a big game, they know Aguero will be a threat, likewise with the main striker for a number of teams. To even the strongest Rooney defenders, can I ask when was the last time you went into a big game expecting him to change the game?

Im working from memory but I think hes only scored 20 league goals in a season twice in his career - correct me if that's wrong. Theres always an excuse - when he leads the line, people say he's isolated and frustrated. Play him deep and he's apparently sacrificing himself for the good of the team. Play him 5 feet either side and people lose their minds completely.

Top players find a way to make a difference. He seems to need absolutely everything working in his favour, and even then its touch and go.

If United want to be a top team again, the time for relying on him to stumble across a period of form has passed.

emmetkenny wrote: »

Indication seems to be Madrid have lost interest in De Gea and will persist with Navas. Some other outlets indicating Courtoius is the main target now. either or, across the board indication seems to be De Gea is no longer the #1 GK target.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Indication seems to be Madrid have lost interest in De Gea and will persist with Navas. Some other outlets indicating Courtoius is the main target now. either or, across the board indication seems to be De Gea is no longer the #1 GK target.

This would be excellent news. Finally Madrid going after other teams big players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If Madrid stick with Navas, yes he will. I'll leave the really speculative team XIs to others, I was merely illustrating how the single inclusion of Lukaku into the current United team would change things dramatically.

De Gea is better than Navas though and he'd be for the long term.

Hard to know to be honest but he'd be a massive loss to any team.

ElChe32 wrote: »
    can't honestly see us not signing a top quality centre back. No way we can have another season of Blind as being our #1 partner of Smalling. Especially as sicknote Jones doesn't look like he can last more than a few games before injuring himself or others.

In football manager land of where I can do what I want with still some basis in transfer reality, I'd probably look to pickup Marquinhos and move Blind back into DM.

Move back to a 4-3-3 with Blind at the base, with Schneiderlan and Hererra ahead of him.

While the 2 deep lying midfielders has without doubt improved our defensive record and stability this season(bar blips, but usually when one of the DM's goes on a high press) I think it sucks too much from the attack and the transition, especially at home.

I'm still baffled that Van Gaal hasn't used his 4-3-3 on a more regular basis. Its like in the twilight in his career, he completely ditched everything that served him so well to experiment, as if to nearly prove to people he still had it.

To be honest our team on paper at the start of the season was outrageously strong. I think its become evident that teams on paper are totally worthless with Van Gaal in charge.

This is true. Additionally, the team needs depth re-added to it (ironically after the big clean out) but quality, too. I don't think Rojo or Jones have a future at the club if I'm honest. I like the (forced) inclusion from the U21s and below in the first team. Players like Lingard/Rashford/McNair/Fosu-Mensah/Valera have all shown a flicker that deserves a game or time on the field for the final 30 mins, or at least strong loan spells in a starting XI for a foreign league team.

I would also have question marks over Mata and Herrera (as much as I love them both) - Some strong competition from the bench for there positions in my starting XI would do United the world of good.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    This would be excellent news. Finally Madrid going after other teams big players.

Courtois' antics of late, and his comments during the international break seem to indicate there is some truth there. He seems to be angling to get away.

As you say, would be brilliant if De Gea was somewhat kept out of the spotlight this summer. I'm also not convinced that there is this reported circa 20m buyout clause for Real Madrid to come back at him again.

If anything his price has gone up again this season. If bog standard strikers and outfielders can go for £30m, De Gea should be fetching upward of £40m.

This is true. Additionally, the team needs depth re-added to it (ironically after the big clean out) but quality, too. I don't think Rojo or Jones have a future at the club if I'm honest. I like the (forced) inclusion from the U21s and below in the first team. Players like Lingard/Rashford/McNair/Fosu-Mensah/Valera have all shown a flicker that deserves a game or time on the field for the final 30 mins, or at least strong loan spells in a starting XI for a foreign league team.

I would also have question marks over Mata and Herrera (as much as I love them both) - Some strong competition from the bench for there positions in my starting XI would do United the world of good.

Mata is most likely going to be under threat if you know who arrives.

I think Hererra has had an unusual and weird career with United. He seemed evidently good at doing something pretty obvious with Bilbao(from what I read and saw in small sample against us in Europe) and yet under Van Gaal has been deployed in some obscure roles.

His best for us imo was when he was operating in that 4-3-3 forming triangles with Mata and Valencia, and basically operating nearly box to box.

I'd hope a new manager would appreciate and embrace his talent and nearly unleash him, rather then restrain him.

His best for us imo was when he was operating in that 4-3-3 forming triangles with Mata and Valencia, and basically operating nearly box to box.

I agree. That's why he has to be played alongside Schneiderlin. Morgan will get about the place with some sort of tempo, unlike Carrick or Schweinstieger. Herrera needs to be going box to box, and United need a player to do that from midfield.

Signing a CB like you said above, and restoring Blind to DM while playing Schneiderlin and Herrera ahead of him would do wonders for the team as a whole. Let Blind control the game, Schneiderlin will intercept and get about the place while Herrera will bomb on forward. However, once again, this puts pressure on Mata's position in the team, but realistically a traditional #10 may not be needed with such a pacey front line, and even then, perhaps Lindgard would perform the 'Herrera' role better given his pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Sky sources reporting PSG have approached Mourinho now. I know this was already reported but more fuel on the fire.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement