Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

City are starting every match with 12 or 13 men over the last few weeks. Been getting some crazy decisions lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Anyone remember this guys. The time the fan manages to sneak into the united team photoshoot.... Anyway it was 15 year ago tonight against bayern.

2n6i04k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Enjoying the 1-1 game between Newcastle and City, while it lasts. Expect City to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

That picture tells a story about the team.

The captain appears to have spotted the problem even if the rest are in their own world. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The general gist seems to be a massive number of regular season ticket holders have been refusing to renew their tickets, citing the boring football at OT this season, and that people wont renew till Jose comes in.

If people are waiting until Jose is manager to buy season tickets they're going to be buying Arsenal season tickets - you heard it here 1st (or 101st) ;)

Korat wrote: »
    That picture tells a story about the team.

The captain appears to have spotted the problem even if the rest are in their own world. :)

That was it exactly ha. He was the protector over the naive kids.

These latest rumors are of a similar nature, why would the club want to risk the season ticket income just to save on a payout to Van Gaal?
    The Glazers aren't FSG, they've shown in the past that they don't care what the fans think and they are arrogant enough to call season ticket holders bluff in the knowledge that there's a queue of people who will snap up season tickets which aren't renewed.

Fickle times :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Another anniversary is Gary Palister scoring 2 goals at Anfield. I remember one celebration where Nicky Butt wrapped himself around him and Palister like it's no bother, more weight.

Andy Cole got other one in 3-1 win.

It's only 19 years ago. It makes me feel just little old. ;)

If people are waiting until Jose is manager to buy season tickets they're going to be buying Arsenal season tickets - you heard it here 1st (or 101st) ;)

Well that's my vote for daft post of the year.

Is there an in-joke to this I'm missing? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Just read an article on the BBC about what clubs referees support. Martin Atkinson is down as a Leeds fan.

Well that explains a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The u21's just won the league again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Great way for the U21's to win it.. a goal with 30 seconds left from Varela.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Joel Pereira "They were f**king brilliant" what an interview

What a way to win the league , an injury time winner

Great stuff

Well that's my vote for daft post of the year.

Is there an in-joke to this I'm missing? :confused:

Na, just my pet conspiracy theory.

Jose seems very adamant he's staying in the PL and will have a new club in July. All the top clubs are sorted except Man U and Arsenal where Wegner is coming under increasing pressure from all sides. If he couldn't win the league in a year where Chelsea, Man U and City all faded away with a whimper what chance will he have next year or the year after when Pep is at City, Conte hits the ground running at Chelsea and Klopp will have Liverpool playing the way he wants them and Spurs will kick on providing they keep Kane which I think they will or Pochetino will walk. Add to that the fact West Ham are going to start becoming a financial force and Wegners window of opportunity is gone.

That's why I think Jose is being lined up by the Arsenal owners to be reunited with Cech. More than anything they and their supporters want to win things rather than settle for 4th and a CL run and if that means sacrificing their style of football and club ethos so be it. Some of my Arsenal freinds swear they'll burn their shirts if Jose becomes manager but think about it. He lives in London, Cech will be giving him the inside track on the squad and dressing room, the combination of Jose, London and the Etihad stadium would be a big draw to top class players and winning the PL for Arsenal would not only shove one up Abramovich but it would also give two fingers to SAF and Utd for snubbing him.

In my twisted world I think it's nailed on. I must check PP to see what the odds are and put some month where my mouth is.

Edit

vr64ow.jpg

Blatter wrote: »
    Just read an article on the BBC about what clubs referees support. Martin Atkinson is down as a Leeds fan.

Well that explains a lot!

I assume Mike Dean supports Liverpool, City, Arsenal and Chelsea.

If things stay as they are in the Newcastle game - any other season and I'd be very confident we'd go on to win our remaining games and get 4th place (I think City will slip up somewhere and they've to play Arsenal). Given we have home games against Leicester, Palace, Bournemouth and two away games to Norwich and West Ham - we really should but I've zero confidence in us doing so.

Na, just my pet conspiracy theory....

In my twisted world I think it's nailed on. I must check PP to see what the odds are and put some month where my mouth is.

That's an interesting perspective, thanks for sharing it.

Have you theories on any other events?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Jayop wrote: »
    The u21's just won the league again.

3 titles in 4 years since the format is changed, 4 titles in 5 years overall.

Not bad for falling academy.

Also most of the players were U18 and then got promoted to First team. Our defense was Varela, Ro Shaun, Tuanzebe and CBJ for most of the season. 3 out of 4 defenders are still eligible for U18.

Then we had Fosu Mensah and Rashford who are 18 year old and both eligible for U18s.

• Advertisement

Come on the barcodes. That fight for top 4 mightn't be over just yet.

I'll take that.

City drop points. Huge game now tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Often wonder, when some are so obsessed with finding the next Pep (as per the fact his name constantly comes up in defense of Giggs), why Joyce doesn't get mentioned when it comes to the managerial position.

Not saying I'd want him, but appointing a very successful u21s/B Team manager to the main squad seems more in line with the Pep narrative. Plus it's his kids who, when called up, have given the best performances this season.

United need to capitise tomorrow night.

It ain't over till it's over.

Often wonder, when some are so obsessed with finding the next Pep (as per the fact his name constantly comes up in defense of Giggs), why Joyce doesn't get mentioned when it comes to the managerial position.

Not saying I'd want him, but appointing a very successful u21s/B Team manager to the main squad seems more in line with the Pep narrative. Plus it's his kids who, when called up, have given the best performances this season.

Aye it's a very fair shout.

• Advertisement

I don't know whats more torturous, watching Utd these days or watching everyone else tease us by tripping over themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Very good result but pressure still on for us.

Palace have some very decent players and are threatning in attack

**** it this club has come back from far worse.

Love see us least get somethibg by winning Cup and getting Top 4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I mentioned his name few months back. Van Gaal should have been sacked in December and if no big manager wanted to take over midseason then should have appointed Warren Joyce as care taker manager.

Because he didn't have a high profile playing career a al Enrique, Pep and Zidane and there would be a perception he doesn't have the gravitas to manage a dressing room full of type A personalities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

I don't know whats more torturous, watching Utd these days or watching everyone else tease us by tripping over themselves.

It's not the despair, I can handle the despair, it's the hope. (Guess the movie)

Minimum 4 wins needed for 4th cant see it tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

If Newcastle go down Id be buying Wijnaldum or whatever way you spell it. I've seen him probably half a dozen times this season and I think he is wasted in that team. Great energy and runs with the ball very directly. Should be cheap enough if Newcastle go down.

Id forgive any dips in form he has had as I think being part of a crap Newcastle team would effect most players negatively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

City drop points, put the house on United doing likewise tomorrow.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Because he didn't have a high profile playing career a al Enrique, Pep and Zidane and there would be a perception he doesn't have the gravitas to manage a dressing room full of type A personalities.

Nicky Butt would probably be the best comparison then.

Mind you, the thought of Warren Joyce or Nicky Butt (or Ryan Giggs for that matter) as our manager doesn't sit well with me.

Enjoying Becks going threw his top moments on sky some good united moments there.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Nicky Butt would probably be the best comparison then.

Mind you, the thought of Warren Joyce or Nicky Butt (or Ryan Giggs for that matter) as our manager doesn't sit well with me.

Not advocating his appointment but the likes of Jose, Arsene, Fergie, Arrigo Sacchi, Jurgen Klopp and Rafa Benitez never had stellar playing careers either. I think Joyce will do well somewhere when he does go, but hopefully he stays on for the forseeable future as U21 coach.

Not advocating his appointment but the likes of Jose, Arsene, Fergie, Arrigo Sacchi, Jurgen Klopp and Rafa Benitez never had stellar playing careers either.

Correct but they didn't transition from U21 coach to manager of one of the biggest clubs in the PL. They all proved themselves at Manager level at lower league/smaller clubs before getting an opportunity at top clubs. Arsene in Japan, Fergie with Aberdeen, Klopp with Mainz, Benitez with CF Extremadura and Tenerife etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

So with the City result last night we still do have a half a chance of getting 4th and FA cup. That would be some turnaround.

Take a look at @orafa2's Tweet: https://twitter.com/orafa2/status/722518769986351104?s=09

Rafael congratulating the u21s title triumph, fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Every game from here on is winnable imo. Will they win all of them? No. Will City? Probably not but they can afford a draw. I wouldn't be betting on it tbh.

• We have a better chance (slim chance) pipping Arsenal to 4th than City IMO

Such pessimism :P

We can still get 3rd place. Just as Spurs can still win the title from 5 points behind right now.

• RobertKK wrote: »
    Such pessimism :P

We can still get 3rd place. Just as Spurs can still win the title from 5 points behind right now.

Depends on the time of day....

Positivity Tractor will make a re-appearance if we win tonight :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

jayo26 wrote: »
    Take a look at @orafa2's Tweet: https://twitter.com/orafa2/status/722518769986351104?s=09

Rafael congratulating the u21s title triumph, fair play to him.

Player who loved the club, another reason for me to dislike LVG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

This is like a mirror image of United at the minute,a report on LVG at Barca...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/dec/16/europeanfootball.sport1

Weird tactics and players out of position all over the pitch.Sounds very familiar.

beno619 wrote: »
    Player who loved the club, another reason for me to dislike LVG.

Can't judge a player on their love for the club..

Looking at varella last Night I can't for the life of me understand why he is not our right back, TFM has done well but id rather see him been subbed into his natural position and have varella who looks so talented given a decent run.

If all these players are not showing the right attitude for lvg he must have some high standards or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

A last minute dash for 4th would make this dreadful season almost bearable. The opposite doesn't bear thinking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

A last minute dash for 4th would make this dreadful season almost bearable. The opposite doesn't bear thinking about.

The City and Liverpool winning the Euro cups* and us finishing 4th is scaring the crap out of me.

It'll be so much sweeter for the opposition (pool) fans and we'll never hear the end of it.

*Meaning 4th place doesn't qualify, for anyone who doesn't know.

• Advertisement

Julez wrote: »
    The City and Liverpool winning the Euro cups* and us finishing 4th is scaring the crap out of me.

It'll be so much sweeter for the opposition (pool) fans and we'll never hear the end of it.

*Meaning 4th place doesn't qualify, for anyone who doesn't know.

I think pool have a better chance of winning the Europa League then city do of winning the champs. Madrid are looking good as are bayern thats two big challenges they need to pass.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement