Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Everyone knows that Sevilla will win the Europa Sevilla cup, their name is on on it....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Julez wrote: »
    The City and Liverpool winning the Euro cups* and us finishing 4th is scaring the crap out of me.

It'll be so much sweeter for the opposition (pool) fans and we'll never hear the end of it.

*Meaning 4th place doesn't qualify, for anyone who doesn't know.

I mentioned this the other night-although this particular outcome is still very unlikely-65/1 as a treble with the bookies-it would be interesting to know if the performance clause in Van Gaal's contract states that he has to finish in the top 4 or "qualify for the champions league." If it's "finish top 4" then the club might have to pay a full year's salary (£7M) to get rid of him, as if that scenario wasn't already horrifying enough from a Utd point of view...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Julez wrote: »
    The City and Liverpool winning the Euro cups* and us finishing 4th is scaring the crap out of me.

It'll be so much sweeter for the opposition (pool) fans and we'll never hear the end of it.

*Meaning 4th place doesn't qualify, for anyone who doesn't know.

Change in rules from two years ago means 5 teams from England can qualify for the competition if a side wins the Europa League or Champions League.

If both win then I think we're out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

jayo26 wrote: »
    Can't judge a player on their love for the club..

Looking at varella last Night I can't for the life of me understand why he is not our right back, TFM has done well but id rather see him been subbed into his natural position and have varella who looks so talented given a decent run.

If all these players are not showing the right attitude for lvg he must have some high standards or something.

I think Varela is the personification of average tbh. Great backup lad to have but not good enough for the first team.

Valencia was very good against Villa I thought. Obviously not tested defensively but with Mata cutting in got into some good positions and set up the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Change in rules from two years ago means 5 teams from England can qualify for the competition if a side wins the Europa League or Champions League.

If both win then I think we're out.

Thats correct yeah, if only one of Liverpool or City qualified and we finished 4th we'd be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Liam O wrote: »
    I think Varela is the personification of average tbh. Great backup lad to have but not good enough for the first team.

Valencia was very good against Villa I thought. Obviously not tested defensively but with Mata cutting in got into some good positions and set up the goal.

The problem with Valencia though is when he is tested defensively. IMO he's not someone we should be looking at as a RB. Varela has good potential I think. Really hope Darmian can get back to the form he was in at the start of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

There's more chance of us finishing 4th than both City and Liverpool winning their cups and us finishing 4th is still unlikely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://twitter.com/ManUtdReport_/status/722720669289553921

Jose will manage the English team at OT in this year's SoccerAid on June 5th. (EDIT: The England team is co-managed by Big Sam as well, so we'll get to see Jose and Sam sitting in the OT managerial seat). Be interesting to see if he's there as a United ambassador :P

Last time he did it...

olly3.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

That was brilliant he was so smooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Ohhhh sitting in the home dug-out, excellent. What made that moment better for me is I have a huge dislike for Olly Murs :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

astradave wrote: »
    Ohhhh sitting in the home dug-out, excellent. What made that moment better for me is I have a huge dislike for Olly Murs :D

It was a crass thing to do in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

In my opinion it was a bit of craic during a charity game and it was taken in the good humour it was intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

DrPhilG wrote: »
    In my opinion it was a bit of craic during a charity game and it was taken in the good humour it was intended.

Agreed! He still laughs about it too:

So José Mourinho is BACK doing Soccer Aid but this time managing the England team.....No tackles please gaffer

https://www.facebook.com/ollymurs/videos/10156848456795080/

You need to get out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

jayo26 wrote: »
    You need to get out more.

I'd say he's the life of the party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Predictions for tonight!? tumbleweed in here today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Head is melted off me in work, tonight better bring some much needed relief. Doubt it though..I'll say 2-1 United. Martial and Herrera to score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

de gea
    valencia
    smalling
    blind
    fosu monster
    schneiderlin
    fellaini
    lingard
    rooney
    martial
    rashers

romero, young, mata, Herrera, carrick, jones, varela

boring first half
    0-0
    late goal 78th minute or after
    martial....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

draw game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

brinty wrote: »
    de gea
    valencia
    smalling
    blind
    fosu monster
    schneiderlin
    fellaini
    lingard
    rooney
    martial
    rashers

romero, young, mata, Herrera, carrick, jones, varela

boring first half
    0-0
    late goal 78th minute or after
    martial....

Didn't Tim play against Spurs U21 last night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

jesus when you look at our squad and think to yourself 250,000,000 spent :(

jesus when you look at our squad and think to yourself 250,000,000 spent :(

250 million net spent including the 2012/13 season.

Since then we've had to replace;
    Scholes
    Berbatov,
    Park
    Rio
    Vidic
    Giggs
    Evra
    Kagawa
    Welbeck
    Fletcher
    VanPersie
    DiMaria
    Hernandez
    Evans

That's 14 players who were all members of the first team that we've had to replace in the last 4 seasons. We've had a complete rebuild so 250m net isn't actually as much as it sounds. If our squad hadn't been allowed to stagnate for the 5 years previous to that we wouldn't have had to spend as much.

Out of the current squad and likely to start, the only players who were there 4 years ago are Degea, Smalling and Rooney.

The squad was allowed to get stale from 2010 onwards so it's no surprise that we've spent so much and are still catching up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Jayop wrote: »
    Didn't Tim play against Spurs U21 last night?

Dont think so, i know we had 8 defenders on the pitch but i dont think he was one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Pheonix10 wrote: »

A sneaky 1 nil win

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Dont think so, i know we had 8 defenders on the pitch but i dont think he was one of them.

Sorry you're right. I was thinking of our other double barrelled defender. CBJ.

mufcJPG.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Scored draw

I hate this strange feeling I have today. Confidence of a win.

We're sure to balls up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

250 million net spent including the 2012/13 season.

Since then we've had to replace;
    Scholes
    Berbatov,
    Park
    Rio
    Vidic
    Giggs
    Evra
    Kagawa
    Welbeck
    Fletcher
    VanPersie
    DiMaria
    Hernandez
    Evans

That's 14 players who were all members of the first team that we've had to replace in the last 4 seasons. We've had a complete rebuild so 250m net isn't actually as much as it sounds. If our squad hadn't been allowed to stagnate for the 5 years previous to that we wouldn't have had to spend as much.

Out of the current squad and likely to start, the only players who were there 4 years ago are Degea, Smalling and Rooney.

The squad was allowed to get stale from 2010 onwards so it's no surprise that we've spent so much and are still catching up.

First of all none of them "had" to be replaced. For the most part they were culled and a lot of them weren't replaced, which is one of the reasons we find the club where they are.

It's also a complete nonsense to say that £250 million had to be spent on the squad that was left to stagnate for 5 years(another complete untruth)

The squad need additions but nowhere near the amount you were implying. Properly managed, that squad needed maybe 3 or 4 players added. At the time £100-£150 million investment would have had us with a fantastic squad.

Van Gaal is the man responsible for attacking the squad like a bull in a china shop, shipping out players willy nilly and not replacing them properly while spinning away hundreds of millions. It was a ludicrous thing to do and it was ludicrous that the club indulged him to do it.

adox wrote: »
    First of all none of them "had" to be replaced. For the most part they were culled and a lot of them weren't replaced, which is one of the reasons we find the club where they are.

It's also a complete nonsense to say that £250 million had to be spent on the squad that was left to stagnate for 5 years(another complete untruth)

The squad need additions but nowhere near the amount you were implying. Properly managed, that squad needed maybe 3 or 4 players added. At the time £100-£150 million investment would have had us with a fantastic squad.

Van Gaal is the man responsible for attacking the squad like a bull in a china shop, shipping out player willy nilly and not replacing them properly while spinning away hundreds of millions. It was a ludicrous thing to do and it was ludicrous that the club indulged him to do it.

How was it an untruth? The last senior CB we bought was Vidic in 2005/06 The last senior CM we bought was Hargreaves in 2007/08

If that's not allowing a squad to stagnate then I don't know what is. The dogs on the street knew we needed a new CM and CB, two positions which we've still not addressed properly since those buys.

The majority of those players had to be replaced, again I don't see how you can argue with that.

Scholes - Retired
    Berbatov - Not suited to United and Fergie wanted Van Persie
    Park - Not good enouh any more
    Rio - Retired
    Vidic - May as well have retired
    Giggs - Retired
    Evra - Was terrible in his last season
    Kagawa - Never fitted into United, not his fault but rather the make up and style we had.
    Welbeck - Should never have sold
    Fletcher - Never the same after illness
    VanPersie - Was terrible his last season
    DiMaria - Was terrible for United, style/squad issues?
    Hernandez - Should never have been sold
    Evans - I'd have him over Blind but never a perm CB solution

How you can say none of them "had" to be replaced is a mystery to me. Half of them retired and half of them we're no use anymore. Apart from Welbeck and Hernandez none of them had anything to offer us.

• Advertisement

And blaming VanGaal for attacking the squad is another ludicrous assertion. Apart from Welbeck and hernandez no-one he moved on had anything to offer United. In fact most of those players had already retired or been sold by the time he arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Erm, Lingard in CM with Schneiderlan?

And blaming VanGaal for attacking the squad is another ludicrous assertion. Apart from Welbeck and hernandez no-one he moved on had anything to offer United. In fact most of those players had already retired or been sold by the time he arrived.

Ahh Welbeck wasn't good enough tho. Backup player at best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Rooney and Lingard in midfield?

TheDoc wrote: »

My guess is it will be Rooney in CM, then Lingard, Mata and Martial in front of them, then Rashford up front.

Regardless, it won't be a natural CM anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lord TSC wrote: »

Wow that looks a very attacking line up.

TheDoc wrote: »

If it was Schneiderlin as cdm and mata and Rooney playing in front of him id be excited with having the 3 fast kids up front but it will probably be two deep lying midfielders again and Rooney and mata slowly running around up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Think we might line up like this

Valencia ---Smalling---Blind----Darmian

Schneiderlin

Mata
    Lingard

Rashford
    Rooney
    Martial

Id like this

Valencia ---Smalling---Blind----Darmian

Schneiderlin

Mata-/
    rooney

Lingard
    /--Rashford
    /----Martial

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Possible diamond formation, Martial/Lingard cover the wings, Mata in the pocket with Rooney and Rashford up front? That I'd like to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I wonder could LVG be going for a crazy back 3 of Valenica, Smalling, Darmian with Blind partnering Scneiderlin in mf?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Is Carrick ok ? I'm hoping it's just a rest he's been given and nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He going for it anyway by the look of it

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

David may a fair funny feker.

Seriously 40 goals from united is shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Darmian worries me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Rooney in CM Van Gaal never ceases to baffle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Schneiderlin as the only centre midfielder is suicide. He's dodgy when there's 2 CMs.

Rooney in CM Van Gaal never ceases to baffle

He won't be a CM though

Edit: And actually, it would hardly be the first time a manager has stuck him in midfield.

I'd prefer Fellaini instead of Rooney but other then that I'm actually pretty happy with the team all things considered.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Liam O wrote: »
    Schneiderlin as the only centre midfielder is suicide. He's dodgy when there's 2 CMs.

I think he and Carrick get in each others way alot, and he tends to shy away when Carrick is in the team (not just with his attacking role, which has been shocking this year with or without Carrick) and I don't mind him anchoring the midfield.

Its Palace at home, we need to win a draw is as good as a defeat to us.

Palace are going to be playing on the break, the more creative players on the field who can pass or make good runs with the ball the better I say.

I would be bothered if he wasn't going for it, won't fault him for going for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

YESSSSS HAHAHAHA

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement