Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Im surprised that the Club is not listening to the Fans.

Its like they have put their blinkers on.

Im pretty sure that a majority of Season ticket holders as well as Stake holders, Die hard and Casual fans would ask for a change of Management at the end of the season.

And Im also sure a majority of them listed above would not approve of Giggs getting the job

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

honestly, I think I would be ok with us not getting a CL place as long as it means LVG is gone. We won't do anything under his terrible leadership, and certainly won't make any impression on the CL - so getting it and him staying will mean, imo, no potential for progress or correction of the actual football team.

I know some will throw round terms like "real fan" or whatever, but I'd be in the same boat. For the second year in a row, we're on the wrong end of a battle for forth (as opposed to Arsenal who, while they usually are in that battle, at least they are the favorites). I see no reason as to why anyone would think LVG would do anything next year but once again have us sitting 5th, battling for 4th. We won't progress with him there.
    Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Im surprised that the Club is not listening to the Fans.

The issue though is that the fans aren't massively making their voices heard at OT; you get the odd booing here and there, but usually it's "Glory Glory..." and all that, even when we're playing quiet poorly. I know people hated the whole banner saga but at least it was a group of fans trying to articulate their frustrations. There's really not been massive revolts against LVG at OT, no protests or any genuine attempts made by the fans to get their anger across :/

The reports of season tickets being very slow to resell is the closest we've had so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,869 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don't think we will get 4th. City have 3 handy games on paper. Arsenal have a game in hand and we have 3 out of our four fixtures that going by our standards we will struggle to win. Even without Vardy Leicester are a good team and Ulloa will still cause us problems. Norwich will fight us tooth and nail as they need the points that game will be like a cup final itself, West Ham will want a performance being their last game at home plus revenge for the cup defeat plus they are a very handy attacking outfit so plenty of motivation there. Would be surprised if we didn't beat Bournmouth at home but on the face of it we will need 3 wins and a draw I think and one of the others to slip up, just don't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Have resigned myself to being stuck with LVG next year :mad:
    jayo26 wrote: »
    Welcome to my side its been lonely here for the past two months :);)

I'm joining your gang. I have been thinking he's not going anywhere since he decided not to take the job offer from the Dutch FA.

Optimum time to sack him would have been Christmas, anything now looks better than it did then. "maybe" make top 4 and in cup semi final which LvG has said he is happy about.

Let's jump on the negativity train operated by realistic railway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Have resigned myself to being stuck with LVG next year :mad:

I'm a mild-mannered individual who rarely protests about anything, but over the last few days I've actually been drafting an email in my head, to send to the club if LVG stays on. I won't be going to any more games while he's in charge. It's only a drop in the ocean to the club, but if I'm prepared to do this (and my kids love going over) there are probably many more, much more vociferous than me, who either won't go or will voice their objections when they are there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I can't understand how anyone thinks he will be there next season regardless of where we finish.
    There's just no way the club could be unaware of what every single fan is. Whatever about not sacking him around Christmas, I can understand that there may have been circumstances then where they might have just said fùck it, barring a complete turnaround we will just see out the remainder of the season and then get rid, but not now.
    He's gone and is just doing what he can for the next few weeks as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I cant see hime being there next season even if we finish top 4 and win the cup. The season Ticket sales are terrible apparently and last nights attendance was woeful (Although mid week league games gainst the likes of Palace this time of the year will never sell out). Club wont stand of that and in a certain respect i think LVG has resigned himself to going anyway.

Heres hoping we finish the season well and win the Cup and maybe Louis can slip away with some dignity or even get a token move upstairs for the last year of his contract.

If it came down to it would much prefer the cup to top 4. Weve havent wont the cup in far too long and wont get as good as a chance as this for a long long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

zerks wrote: »

A good omen for Van Gaal leaving if Balague is saying he is staying. Im inclined to think that Balague would have very little insight into the world of United/LvG/Mourinho. He can be good at times with certain spanish based players.

If there is plans in place only a select few know them and in fairness to the club they have managed to keep a lot of things quiet these days on the back of the Moyes era were there was a leak everyday. He has to be gone at the end of the season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The game last night actually sold out but not everybody went.Massive tailbacks outside Manchester meant many just gave up and went home plus the usual tourists from Ireland etc. didn't travel for a midweek game to watch boring football.
    A lot of fans in Manchester were saying they couldn't even give tickets away,it just goes to show that fans don't want to go see the rubbish being served up even for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

My brother lives south of London and is a member of Hastings supporters club... they had loads of tickets for both last night's home game and Wembley match for £100 for the pair and they can't sell them all... as he said a 6 hour up and 6 hour back coach trip to watch paint dry is a bit much... supporters and board definitely at odds regarding LVG, not on same planet let alone page !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Year after year Balague is proved to be a spoofer and yet that gimp is paraded around like he actually is some sort of ITK God. Get t'fluich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

The league is truly dreadful this season. This is proved by the fact that we have the most points of any team at home even though we failed to score a goal in the first half of a home game in 11 games.

Crazy really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

The league is truly dreadful this season. This is proved by the fact that we have the most points of any team at home even though we failed to score a goal in the first half of a home game in 11 games.

Crazy really

While it's not good and boring that we didn't score in the first half for 11 games, I don't think it's that crazy that we have the most home points. We've had a solid defense and either scored one more than our opponent in the 2nd half of other games or drew them.
    I don't see a correlation between getting most home points and not scoring in first half of x number of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

secman wrote: »
    My brother lives south of London and is a member of Hastings supporters club... they had loads of tickets for both last night's home game and Wembley match for £100 for the pair and they can't sell them all... as he said a 6 hour up and 6 hour back coach trip to watch paint dry is a bit much... supporters and board definitely at odds regarding LVG, not on same planet let alone page !

If you are talking to him again and he knows of a pair sitting together for sale I'll take them off him. My normal source is away in Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

The awkward moment when LVG signs a new 3 year deal.

At this rate it could happen.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    The awkward moment when LVG signs a new 3 year deal.

At this rate it could happen.:(

Where's that plane with the banner? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

honestly, I think I would be ok with us not getting a CL place as long as it means LVG is gone. We won't do anything under his terrible leadership, and certainly won't make any impression on the CL - so getting it and him staying will mean, imo, no potential for progress or correction of the actual football team.

I agree. If getting 4th means LVG staying then hopefully we will finish 5th. Even if we make 4th, we have no hope of winning CL and not a hope winning PL too. One more year of fighting for 4th place with awful football.

Short term loss should be long term gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Year after year Balague is proved to be a spoofer and yet that gimp is paraded around like he actually is some sort of ITK God. Get t'fluich.

The truth is nobody really knows what will happen,I'd be fooking raging yet not surprised if LVG was still in charge next season.
    If this is as a result of Fergie wielding his influence at the club as part of an ego massage then he has been blinded by self interest over the interests of the club and that imo would begin to tarnish his legacy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Who the f*** thought putting 'Guillem Ballague' and 'Iron-clad announcement' in the same sentence would make any sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We'll need 3 wins and a draw, and hope City lose and draw in their last 4.

The problem is Southampton and Stoke have nothing to play for, Swansea will give them 3 points, realistically I can see all 3 teams conceding and then rolling over with summer holidays in sight.

Real game midweek needs to be a close one. Our most likely hope is they rest some players either for Stoke or Southampton leading to a draw and then Arsenal do us a favour by beating them. I'd give us about 15% chance of getting 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The truth is nobody really knows what will happen,I'd be fooking raging yet not surprised if LVG was still in charge next season.
    If this is as a result of Fergie wielding his influence at the club as part of an ego massage then he has been blinded by self interest over the interests of the club and that imo would begin to tarnish his legacy.

Or maybe the GOAT manager knows a little more than we do about these things.

Leroy42 wrote: »

Or maybe the GOAT manager knows a little more than we do about these things.
    Much as I love Fergie, I'm less inclined to trust his judgement ever since the Moyes appointment. Funny enough, when Moyes was appointed there was a documentary (on TG4, if I recall) discussing how Busby kept too much influence after he retired, which ultimately hindered the managers that follow after him.

There was nothing wrong with the Moyes appointment in principle. It was seen as a long term solution and he had shown himself to be a very good manager.

That he couldn't cope with the pressure, the players, the press, the expectations or whatever could not have been known beforehand. There was certainly nothing to suggest he would be as terrible as he was.

Had Moyes simply kept the current management team in place for the 1st year or two to allow himself to get settled while the club simply moved along he would have probably done ok, but he opted to operate Utd as if he was simply in a red version of Everton.

Can't really blame SAF too much on that

Leroy42 wrote: »
    There was nothing wrong with the Moyes appointment in principle. It was seen as a long term solution and he had shown himself to be a very good manager.

That he couldn't cope with the pressure, the players, the press, the expectations or whatever could not have been known beforehand. There was certainly nothing to suggest he would be as terrible as he was.

Had Moyes simply kept the current management team in place for the 1st year or two to allow himself to get settled while the club simply moved along he would have probably done ok, but he opted to operate Utd as if he was simply in a red version of Everton.

Can't really blame SAF too much on that
    He was completely unproven at the top level (for issues such as egos, fan expectation and media pressure), and had not displayed the ability to get his teams to play a style of football that would be condusive at the top level, when many teams will simply bunker back and play for the draw. He also had a horrific record against top teams, which continued on in his time with us if I recall.

I like Moyes to be honest, but he had all the hallmarks of a midtable manager and nothing in his time here changed that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I was calling to have Moyes appointed so I'm not going to say otherwise now. I was clearly wrong but I thought he could make the step up. Better him than one of the carousel managers I thought.

ANyhoo, not a debate we need to bring up again.

It was more the point that we really don't know what the motivation behind SAF not wanting Jose or wanted LVG is. (If any of the stories are even true)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Mats Hummels has started his annual p**** teasing" earler than usual.....
    And we all know where he'll be when the window shuts...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36104368

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Didn't Ballbag say on his Twatter a couple of weeks ago that José was definitely in?

He knows about as much about the situation as any of us, the only difference is that he gets paid for spouting bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

We'll need 3 wins and a draw, and hope City lose and draw in their last 4.

The problem is Southampton and Stoke have nothing to play for, Swansea will give them 3 points, realistically I can see all 3 teams conceding and then rolling over with summer holidays in sight.

Real game midweek needs to be a close one. Our most likely hope is they rest some players either for Stoke or Southampton leading to a draw and then Arsenal do us a favour by beating them. I'd give us about 15% chance of getting 4th.

Southampton have Europa league to play for
    Stoke could be anything on any day
    Swansea will be rolled easily alright
    Arsenal, ah sure who knows with them too

City look like a team half way on their holidays tbh, won't rule them out faltering, but wouldn't think we will be able to capitalise either.

If we win out we will be in the CL, in Fergies time I would have put good money on that, not a penny nowadays though.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Seen an excellent comment last night on the Guardian about LVG which I thought I would share.
    Yes. Louis Van Gaal is the manager who taught Barcelona to play their current way, and he is the manager who taught Bayern Munich to play their current way of playing. Everyone complained about how boring it all was, right up until the point where it all clicked, and those clubs went on the rampage.He took over from the Moyes disaster, so last season was about seeing who he had available to him, and who he should keep, and somehow qualifying for the CL. This season he signed a bunch of players for particular positions, and things started like they did at bayern. However the point where it all comes together and suddenly everyone realises how amazing everything is, hasn't arrived yet, because man utd have had to deal with the worst injury crisis in their history. Not because of injury prone players, or not because of over training, but because of players picking up a lot of long term injuries, after heavy tackles.If Van Gaal gets fourth, despite the worst, and most prolonged injury crisis in the last 50 years of the club's history, then that will be an extraordinary achievement. It's very hard to get results in the premier league, try to teach a system of play, try to play attractive football, and deal with having at least 10 players out at all times between the start of december and the start of april. It reached 15 players when they lost to midtylland, and rose to 17 shortly afterwards.To put that in context, the most players ever missing through injury under alex ferguson was 9, and it's worth noting that when man utd had 6 players out through injury under ferguson, they suffered. Leading to champions league group stage eliminations in 2005-6 and 2012-13. Now I know that people are inevitably going to say that every club has to deal with injuries etc, however this season has been very unusual for man utd in that they got a very high number of contact injuries, which are the sort of random injuries that you can do nothing about. No training could stop moreno from snapping shaw's leg like a twig, or koscielny breaking valencia's foot, or rojo and darmian dislocating their shoulders.But the upshot of all this is that man utd were never able to get their fullbacks involved in attacking, because by the time they had gotten used to playing first team football, and got to grips with the defensive side of van gaal's system, and then started to do a bit of overlapping, performances would pick up, and they would immediately get injured, and man utd would have to start again. People then ask why can't man utd be consistent in their performance.Man utd have had to field 8 different players at left back in the league, and they've had to field 7 different right backs, not because of fickleness on the manager's part, but because of injury. Yet somehow, they've kept clean sheets in half their league games. More than any other club in the league.When Man utd lost to Bournemouth before christmas with two goals from corners, the man utd back four was Borthwick Jackson, Blind, McNair, and varela. Two of those players were making their first league starts for the club. In order for man utd to have to field that defence, Smalling, Shaw, Darmian, valencia, jones, rojo, and young had to all be injured.Van Gaal has done such a good job at hiding the fact that man utd have been suffering a terrible defensive injury crisis all season, that people don't realise how bad things are, and don't realise how this affects their attacking.Van gaal wants his full backs to play like wingers when man utd have the ball. that enables man utd to get to the byline, but also to get three forwards into the box, and allows man utd to get around the back of defences, and attack with up to six players. Without attacking full backs, man utd are attacking their opponents with only the front four, and it's much harder for those players to picked through the packed defences that you see in the premier league nowadays.Van Gaal has given a lot of young players a chance this season. The two most impressive of them are players who have shown the greatest familiarity with van gaal's preferred system of playing. (Rashford's first four goals are all the same. He held his position on the penalty spot, as the full back overlapped and worked in the cross, and attacked the space created by the front post runs of mata, and the back post run of memphis. And Fosu Mensah has been playing this type of football since he was a small child, and has the ability to play in any of the back six positions equally well.

Some interesting points. I'm still in the Jose in camp but it's looking less and less likely - especially with a chance of top four and the FA cup. A trophy could partially lift the feeling of malaise that has creeped in since SAF's departure.

The main worry I have is that our attacking play has looked so horrifically boring because of LVG's stubbornness with the system and the impression that the players aren't allow to express themselves in the final third. Also, LVG has taken a bit of a sledging to his character and reputation this season. Will this deter players from coming? Pedro turned us down because of this - poor example I know as it looks like we haven't missed out there, but still it is a precedent to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Smegball wrote: »
    Seen an excellent comment last night on the Guardian about LVG which I thought I would share.

Did you mean to quote a different comment?

Our ****e performances are not because of injuries. There have been injuries, sure, but the fact is that our ****e play and ****e performances have far more to do with the coaching than any other factor.

Injuries have been a factor, but wasn't LVGs fitness plan said to have contributed largely to it?

I do like the youngsters he has bled in, and he has a history of that which makes me believe he would still make a very good DOF for a team that uses them, but after his reign here I don't see it being at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lads I honestly think youse are getting ahead of yourselves regarding Van Gaal.

There is zero chance of him being in charge next season. Zero. Nil. Not gonna happen.

De Gea has been named in team of the year 3 times out of 5. That's a very good record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    De Gea has been named in team of the year 3 times out of 5. That's a very good record.

Deserves it too. Has to be considered up there beside neuer in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Deserves it too. Has to be considered up there beside neuer in the world.

He must be at least on par if not ahead at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ye drive yourself to bottom off ocean worrying about it.

Don't worry summer will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I'm not firmly in the LVG camp but a bit of retrospective is perhaps needed. We have been decimated by injuries this season. The Shaw injury for example seemed to cripple our confidence for a while.

I'm not saying injuries are the sole reason for the drabness we have been served on a weekly basis but they definitely haven't helped.

I do dread another season of bleak football though and there is the high possibility that next season will be the same even without injuries.

Michael Keane is named in the championship team of the year. Would be good to see him in PL next season.

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Still have to laugh when people wanted him gone after a few months, claiming he was awful (because 20 year old keepers never progress at all!) and still desperately trying to cling on to those claims for another 3 seasons! :D

Needless to say, most of them have probably forgotten that by now and would give out about his lack of loyalty were he to leave for Madrid...

Billy86 wrote: »
    Still have to laugh when people wanted him gone after a few months, claiming he was awful (because 20 year old keepers never progress at all!) and still desperately trying to cling on to those claims for another 3 seasons! :D

Needless to say, most of them have probably forgotten that by now and would give out about his lack of loyalty were he to leave for Madrid...

The wanting de gea gone opinion brought about one of the best Internet posts of all time so it was all worth it.

The wanting de gea gone opinion brought about one of the best Internet posts of all time so it was all worth it.

Is there a link, or thread it's in? I used to use a different site for football, only started using Boards more around the 2014 WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Is there a link, or thread it's in? I used to use a different site for football, only started using Boards more around the 2014 WC.

Best ever post on Boards IMO

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73816191

astradave wrote: »

Thats the one dave Was just gonna post it lol.

astradave wrote: »
    It has to be up there, that's absurd!

I'm assuming Sean Bateman doesn't post here any longer... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I'm assuming Sean Bateman doesn't post here any longer... :p

There's been two or three iterations of him since...

Have to say lads I am delighted to see a former player been recognised and looked after by a club in his retirement,

fills me with great pleasure when I think of owen scoring that winning goal against city and then to top it all off Liverpool make him an intentional ambassador for their club i think it's a lovely story ;);) im sure the fans are only delighted ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Have to say lads I am delighted to see a former player been recognised and looked after by a club in his retirement,

fills me with great pleasure when I think of owen scoring that winning goal against city and then to top it all off Liverpool make him an intentional ambassador for their club i think it's a lovely story ;);) im sure the fans are only delighted ;);)

Ignoring the fact the he played for and won a title with United, why would anyone even want Owen associated with their club? He's seems like an awful gobshíte.

https://vine.co/v/OvAAUQ5uut9

Ugh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Smegball wrote: »
    I'm not firmly in the LVG camp but a bit of retrospective is perhaps needed. We have been decimated by injuries this season. The Shaw injury for example seemed to cripple our confidence for a while.

I'm not saying injuries are the sole reason for the drabness we have been served on a weekly basis but they definitely haven't helped.

I do dread another season of bleak football though and there is the high possibility that next season will be the same even without injuries.

Eh what?

Our creative players weren't sitting in the treatment room all season.

The ball being passed over and back in front of the opposition wasn't plan B because our A game plan players weren't available.

LVG had a philosophy which if it was going to be effective would be to some extent with one of the most expensive squads in the league regardless of injuries.

Fair play for trying to defend the indefensible though. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement