Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

You need to raise your kid son better :)

My 2 year old, never been to a match, shouts "Goallll" when he sees my Shels tops.

:D

Due to the relative anonymity of the internet I don't mind telling you that he had a brain injury at a few weeks old which left some damage and caused some huge problems, including developmental delay which set him back at least 14 months according to the Consultants/OT's. Thankfully he is making fantastic progress these days and will by all accounts go on to have a pretty normal (whatever that means!:)) life

I have chosen to take today as further evidence of this and fully expect him to be singing some crowd favorites by the start of next season :D

(He does get a bit sad when he see's my Blues jersey too, some of it has got to be instinct!)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Enjoyed that match. Myself and my friend screamed the pub down when Martial scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Due to the relative anonymity of the internet I don't mind telling you that he had a brain injury at a few weeks old which left some damage and caused some huge problems, including developmental delay which set him back at least 14 months according to the Consultants/OT's. Thankfully he is making fantastic progress these days and will by all accounts go on to have a pretty normal (whatever that means!:)) life

I have chosen to take today as further evidence of this and fully expect him to be singing some crowd favorites by the start of next season :D

(He does get a bit sad when he see's my Blues jersey too, some of it has got to be instinct!)

sounds like you are doing a great job.

some kids don't even like football :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

What a game, Martail, Fellaini, De Gea had great game. Rooney played well as midfielder. Looks like 4-1-4-1 suits our team better.

Also Rashford's overall play is improving a lot. Lot of trickery in his locker and once he is fully settled we might see it a lot.

Nice reading match day thread for games like these. De Gea not even in top 5, lol. Some amazing opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Lord TSC wrote: »
    As much as I wasn't a fan of Nani, he was far, FAR more likely to have the moment of magic than Lingard. Lingard is a hard worker who does what the manager tells him (hence why he gets picked and trusted). A good squad player but shouldn't be getting half the time he is if we want to challenger for the league.
    How anyone can rate an attacking player under LVG disappoints me. It's his first full season and I'd easily categorise him as one of the better players this season. We've only scratched the surface with Lingard, among others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Thankfully he is making fantastic progress these days and will by all accounts go on to have a pretty normal (whatever that means!:)) life

Great to see him recovering quickly. Puts football into perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Nalz wrote: »
    But you easily compare Nani to him in terms of how hot and cold he is and that he is an attacking midfielder \ winger

Been done to death here but with consistent game time Nani was well consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

How anyone can rate an attacking player under LVG disappoints me. It's his first full season and I'd easily categorise him as one of the better players this season. We've only scratched the surface with Lingard, among others.

Lingard can definitely become more consistent. But I just don't think he has the raw ability of someone like Nani.

Hopefully he hits Pedro like hights obviously not as talented as Villa/Messi/Saurez/Neymar/Sanchez but ice cool in front of goal, intelligenent good pace and a good work ethic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Its a fair point, and I've said the same in discussions about Memphis.

What I'd reply with is that, by and large, I judge Lingard within the confines of what he's achieved under LVG, who has shown an incredible amount of trust in him (compared to other players who get dropped randomly all season). He has given Lingard a lot of time to show his wears. But I feel when you see Martial being as good as he is, Rashford being super impressive in a fifth of the time Lingard has had....I feel that LVG is a valid excuse for players not preforming at their best, but not a total excuse for it.

I'm all aboard the Jose train (I've not been subtle with that) but it's naive to place the entirety of the blame on LVG for mediocre player preformances. Someone like Lingard has been given a lot of time this season, and while I think he's shown himself to be a very solid player with a great work ethic, I've seen nothing to suggest he'll ever be good enough to be a consistent first team for a team hoping to challange for major trophies. The general consensus is that a priority this summer is getting in a new right winger, a position that has largely been dominated by Lingard and Mata over the last season or two.

Lingard, to me, has shown he could be a great squad player who can be called upon when we need to rest whoever is our #1 pick, the type of player you can trust in cup games or against smaller teams to give 100% and put in a solid preformance. But nothing I've seen shows he has the ability to produce a moment of magic on an anyway consistant basis, and I think he'll be upgraded quite easily this summer if we try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The best complement I can give Martial is that I'd like to see France do well with him at Euros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Feel sorry for the lads that seem so invested in hate for the manager that they can't take any joy out of that today.

Not trying to be smart but did I miss something on here yesterday? Were there Utd supporters on here or the match thread not celebrating the win?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I was watching the Guillem Ballague/Graham Hunter and they talked about both Ronaldo and Neymar.

They think Ronaldo stays at Madrid, he is looking they say for €25 million net per year and wants a three year deal.
    They said Ramos was in talks with United last year as Sergio Ramos admitted it.
    Then the talk of Neymar to United...again. They say Barcelona are not looking to sell, but have financial problems, they still have no sponsor for next season, they are looking to do up their stadium at a cost of €600 million, and they want to raise €200 million in new debt, but to raise the new debt they have been told by creditors they need to clear €200 million of the existing debt.
    This is why Neymar could be sold, at the moment his basic wages at Barcelona were reported to be £77k per week plus bonuses, while United and PSG are said to be offering him £300,000 a week.
    Selling Neymar would solve a lot of financial problems at Barcelona, but United would need to be in the CL to be in a position to get him if he was being sold, and PSG are also interested.
    If Neymar is being sold, United will be telling Neymar his brand will be in a different galaxy at United compared to PSG.
    But I fear no CL may be a problem unless Arsenal do us a favour and beat City and we somehow miraculously win all our remaining games.
    The reports are United will make a move this summer for Neymar, which ties in what was said last August when the story broke about United and Neymar, it was putting the groundwork in for summer 2016.
    I will believe when I see it.

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    Its a fair point, and I've said the same in discussions about Memphis.

What I'd reply with is that, by and large, I judge Lingard within the confines of what he's achieved under LVG, who has shown an incredible amount of trust in him (compared to other players who get dropped randomly all season). He has given Lingard a lot of time to show his wears. But I feel when you see Martial being as good as he is, Rashford being super impressive in a fifth of the time Lingard has had....I feel that LVG is a valid excuse for players not preforming at their best, but not a total excuse for it.

I'm all aboard the Jose train (I've not been subtle with that) but it's naive to place the entirety of the blame on LVG for mediocre player preformances. Someone like Lingard has been given a lot of time this season, and while I think he's shown himself to be a very solid player with a great work ethic, I've seen nothing to suggest he'll ever be good enough to be a consistent first team for a team hoping to challange for major trophies. The general consensus is that a priority this summer is getting in a new right winger, a position that has largely been dominated by Lingard and Mata over the last season or two.

Lingard, to me, has shown he could be a great squad player who can be called upon when we need to rest whoever is our #1 pick, the type of player you can trust in cup games or against smaller teams to give 100% and put in a solid preformance. But nothing I've seen shows he has the ability to produce a moment of magic on an anyway consistant basis, and I think he'll be upgraded quite easily this summer if we try.

To follow up, It's exhausting how frustrating Lingard is in the final third. The frequency of which he blunders decision making and or outright finishing would drive you mad. LVG can't put the ball in the back of the net for him. And he's not the only player who has consistantly missed guilt edge chances this season.

I can agree that he is a useful squad player but nothing more. Going to be hard to find another player in the same league as Martial on the right but we should most definitely be aiming that high.

Rashford should only be progressed in the centre IMO.

Leaves that right win open for someone....

Oh btw morning all!!! Hope we are fresh with Sunday smiles :)

Feel sorry for the lads that seem so invested in hate for the manager that they can't take any joy out of that today.

Just getting through the thread and was surprised to say the least..
    Well said Flint...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just getting through the thread and was surprised to say the least..
    Well said Flint...

Say nothing about this so...

With a headline reading 'Jose Mourinho has signed for Manchester (United)', Jornal de Noticias get straight to the point. The article isn't available online and it isn't in their e-paper edition, only in a supplement inside the newspaper.

A little digging and we've found out the claims are: Mourinho has signed, he's been watching Manchester United matches to get an idea of the current squad and deficiencies in it, and he'll have full power on transfers, with the newspaper also pointing out he may well recruit some players from the Portuguese league.

It's not anything that hasn't been claimed before, it would be impossible for anything new to be claimed at this stage... given everything which has been said. However, Manchester United fans who want Mourinho may take comfort in how big Jornal de Noticias have gone with this.

In January, Jornal de Noticias reported that Mourinho was holding meetings with his former Chelsea assistant Rui Faria, talking about their future plans and keeping up their knowledge of players.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/huge-news-in-portugal-mourinho-has-now-signed-with-man-united

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Sky reporting Blanc staying at PSG. Sunday Supplement think Mourinho is on the way to United. LVG not focused on future and wanting to win a cup to go out on a high.

Seems like it's going to happen!

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Sky reporting Blanc staying at PSG. Sunday Supplement think Mourinho is on the way to United. LVG not focused on future and wanting to win a cup to go out on a high.

Seems like it's going to happen!

The Blanc thing seems direct from the PSG president, with quotes and all, so that's good. I think the English press have jumped on that, plus the Portuguese reports, and decided it's near enough a safe bet now so are reporting its done.

Do people think, if it's happening, it will be announced before or after the FA Cup final? Before, and it could taint it a bit, but after and you run the risk of sacking a manager straight after winning a trophy....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    To follow up, It's exhausting how frustrating Lingard is in the final third. The frequency of which he blunders decision making and or outright finishing would drive you mad. LVG can't put the ball in the back of the net for him. And he's not the only player who has consistantly missed guilt edge chances this season.

I can agree that he is a useful squad player but nothing more. Going to be hard to find another player in the same league as Martial on the right but we should most definitely be aiming that high.

Rashford should only be progressed in the centre IMO.

Leaves that right win open for someone....

Oh btw morning all!!! Hope we are fresh with Sunday smiles :)

I don't think Rashford's position or future is that clear. At the moment he has potential for more than one position but in the modern game a wide position could be great for him. I think he is going to be excellent running off a no 10 or onto passes from a creative CM. Its hard to do that if his starting point is CF. He will get a little more freedom to find space if he is starting wide.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The Blanc thing seems direct from the PSG president, with quotes and all, so that's good. I think the English press have jumped on that, plus the Portuguese reports, and decided it's near enough a safe bet now so are reporting its done.

Do people think, if it's happening, it will be announced before or after the FA Cup final? Before, and it could taint it a bit, but after and you run the risk of sacking a manager straight after winning a trophy....

I thought Blanc already signed a new contract?

If Jose wanted to go to PSG they would hire him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Lord TSC wrote:

It will be after the final, which I think we will win. A little awkward, but nothing that can't be spun as LVG deciding to end his career on a high.

• Lord TSC wrote: »

With respect to LVG and the team....wait till the season is done. It's as simple as that.

With respect to LVG and the team....wait till the Cup is won. It's as simple as that.

FYP.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Rashford, Lingard and Fosu-Mensah getting themselves ready for the inevitable loan move to The Netherlands as we speak.

Seriously though, I don't see how United and Mourinho are a good fit at all. Your biggest strength is in the core of young players you have at the club to build from (let's face it most of the senior players aren't upto much) and you go for the guy who wouldn't even give De Bruyne a chance.

• CSF wrote: »
    Rashford, Lingard and Fosu-Mensah getting themselves ready for the inevitable loan move to The Netherlands as we speak.

Seriously though, I don't see how United and Mourinho are a good fit at all. Your biggest strength is in the core of young players you have at the club to build from (let's face it most of the senior players aren't upto much) and you go for the guy who wouldn't even give De Bruyne a chance.

Not all of us want him at the club, I agree with most of what you are saying.
    Again it's clear that's why there was no decision to bring him in @ Xmas. The board look to be cautious.The saga isnt over. I have myself mentally prepared for another season of LVG. I have enough of him but I'm not pro Jose either.

• Advertisement

Not all of us want him at the club, I agree with most of what you are saying.
    Again it's clear that's why there was no decision to bring him in @ Xmas. The board look to be cautious.The saga isnt over. I have myself mentally prepared for another season of LVG. I have enough of him but I'm not pro Jose either.

I'd have thought there'd be some opposition to him alright. I'm sure it's not a 2 horse race to be United manager in any case, or at least wasn't.

It's just strange that United have seemed to have a strategy of late around promoting youth, spending so much on Martial kind of underlined that, and now United are bringing (or supposedly) in a manager whose strategy is the complete opposite. I think Martial would probably be the one who Mourinho would have to keep around, but even he isn't really the kind of player that Mourinho has used as his number 9 in his teams to date.

CSF wrote: »
    I'd have thought there'd be some opposition to him alright. I'm sure it's not a 2 horse race to be United manager in any case, or at least wasn't.

It's just strange that United have seemed to have a strategy of late around promoting youth, spending so much on Martial kind of underlined that, and now United are bringing (or supposedly) in a manager whose strategy is the complete opposite. I think Martial would probably be the one who Mourinho would have to keep around, but even he isn't really the kind of player that Mourinho has used as his number 9 in his teams to date.

Jose is very poor at promoting player from academy to First team but he has good enough record playing younger players. (I don't mean teenagers, I'm saying players around 21-22 years old).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The use of Mensah and Rashford has been because of circumstance rather than design.

Does anyone really think that either would be getting a look in if LVG had all senior players fit for the season?

He said himself that Martial was bought for the next manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

You're not alone certainly. Nearly all non-Utd fans would be delighted to see the status quo continue and see Utd all away altogether.

There's a sizeable number of Utd fans who don't want him either for moralistic reasons which never seemed to apply to Ferguson, Giggs, Cantona, Keane and other favourites.

The idea that Mourinho doesn't develop young players is Bullsh1t and will be used by his detractors to disguise the fact they just don't want him near Utd for reasons of petty jealousy or misguided reasons.

That doesn't mean Mourinho would be the preferred choice for those who want him in now. Any one of Ancelotti, Guardiola or Klopp would have been better but Ed Woodward f*cked that up so Mourinho is our best bet now.

What young players has Mourinho developed then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Mourinho has never had a golden generation of youth players, compare Fergie's last 3 or 4 years with Mourinho's and it is no better

It is a myth

I'd imagine Jose would be given the mandate to develop youth, in much the same way as Real and Chelsea seemed to have the mandate to get big names in. I'd actually trust Jose more to integrate them into the team in a manner better suited for their development, rather than LVG's "Only play them if I have to, run them into the ground, and then never play them again" philosophy that he's used on Wilson, Blackett, McNair, Varela and others.

If there is an announcement next month on Mourhino and Van Gaal as is being mooted, I can see it being announced before the FA cup final without much uproar.

Announcing that Van Gaal will be leave at the end of the season through mutual consent rather than the club sacking him and Mourino would take his place in the summer.

That's they way I would see it play out anyway if it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I'd imagine Jose would be given the mandate to develop youth, in much the same way as Real and Chelsea seemed to have the mandate to get big names in. I'd actually trust Jose more to integrate them into the team in a manner better suited for their development, rather than LVG's "Only play them if I have to, run them into the ground, and then never play them again" philosophy that he's used on Wilson, Blackett, McNair, Varela and others.

A post with no basis in reality. Say whatever you like about LVG but there's absolutely no doubting or questioning his willingness to give youth a chance and to develop them into real players. Mourinho has no history of this.

There is no basis to suggest this though. He's never done it before. He's worked to a formula so rigidly.

The concern for Utd's future from other fans is surprising and touching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

adox wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart but did I miss something on here yesterday? Were there Utd supporters on here or the match thread not celebrating the win?:confused:

I don't know about not celebrating at all but the ratio of celebration to criticism from some was extremely one sided. Of course they are entitled to do that and I'm entitled to express my feeling on it so there's nothing to be getting worked up over.

I don't know about not celebrating at all but the ratio of celebration to criticism from some was extremely one sided. Of course they are entitled to do that and I'm entitled to express my feeling on it so there's nothing to be getting worked up over.

Fair enough. Wasn't getting worked up but genuinely thought I'd missed something.

What young players has Mourinho developed then?

Meaning improving them or playing them regularly as first team player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

adox wrote: »
    Fair enough. Wasn't getting worked up but genuinely thought I'd missed something.

If the automatic response to an injury time winner in an exciting game that puts your team into a final is to pick apart the performance for something to complain about then I think there's something wrong.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Meaning improving them or playing them regularly as first team player.

Don't bother. It's a loaded question. If someone can't think of a player Mourinho has developed it's because they don't want to. Deco, Carvalho, Cech, Drogba, Varane, Casemiro..etc..etc. I'm sure will be disputed for spurious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Korat wrote: »
    Don't bother. It's a loaded question. If someone can't think of a player Mourinho has developed it's because they don't want to. Deco, Carvalho, Cech, Drogba, Varane, Casemiro..etc..etc. I'm sure will be disputed for spurious reasons.

Drogba was 26 when he joined Chelsea and cost 24 million pounds (bigger money then than now) bit of a reach to call that developing a young player.

De Bruyne didn't want to sit on the bench, Schurrle and Oscar were in the team ahead of him. A 22 and a 23 year old

De Bruyne didn't want to sit on the bench, Schurrle and Oscar were in the team ahead of him. A 22 and a 23 year old

The word was De Bruyne had an attitude problem,Jose doesn't like that.

The way LVG has handed out debuts this season there won't be anyone left for Mourinho to take credit for developing. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

IMG

zerks wrote: »
    The word was De Bruyne had an attitude problem,Jose doesn't like that.

Mourinho started the season with him but obviously he didn't live up the expectation

Anyway it is irrelevant because Hazard, Schurrle and Oscar were a frequent 3 with an average age of about 22

• Korat wrote: »

tbf to AIG he's got a point, Drogba was an established player with 20+ goals in him in his previous two seasons before he ever signed for Chelsea. That's Jose style, he wants the best and some quick scouting determined this. Doesn't mean he developed him from youth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭Sand

With the praise the Chelsea youth setup gets, and the work Mourinho invested in it, surely there was/is a TFM equivalent there? He went hard after John Stones instead, a young player brought through by another club. Mourinho was willing to put £35 million on a player who has been extremely average over the course of the season. TFM has been good enough that I'd prefer giving him chances next season than spending £40 million or whatever it would take to get Stones out of Everton. Stones is not the solution to any immediate defensive issues United have.

Now, maybe Stones would perform better in Mourinho setup but were Mourinho manager, the club would have overpaid for Stones, whilst having a player with just as much potential in the youth setup.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement