Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I want Leciester to win league, but **** me I want beat them as much as any team next week.

I think we can beat them too.

Can I just also appreciate the attacking football yesterday and while it could have went either way, in end, if you only played like that in 50% of games LVG, you would still have United job next season. Pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Great video from FA TV with pitchside view of the game:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Yes i'm just after saying that not taking away anything away from what they've done but Swansea where pathethic there was no effort at all, Chelsea gonna be the same.

Swansea lost 3-0 to Newcastle the week before as well so I'd say they're being pretty consistent in their effort.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://twitter.com/PFA/status/724355277668147200

Huge congratulations to Ryan Giggs who picks up the PFA Merit Award! #PFAawards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

What is the PFA Merit Award?

Seems to be like a Lifetime Achievement award, from the Professional Footballers' Association, who had their awards tonight. Previous winners include Fergie, Charlton and Busby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

De Gea aka world's greatest gk atm rightfully earning his place in the PFA Team of the Year!!!

Lets pray he will still be ours come next season. The passion he has been showing in recent games doesn't resemble a player who is looking for a way out. :)

Hopefully he can keep pushing himself and maybe even get himself on the Ballon Dor stage one day!!

Interesting stuff from Martin Samuel,the blame for not playing the kids at Chelsea can't be laid at the feet of the managers.Jose may not be to blame as first thought.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3556540/Chelsea-kids-seeing-club-s-flawed-youth-policy-Domingos-Quina-s-West-Ham-shows.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

De Gea is unbelievable. I honestly think there's a good chance he is going to Real Madrid but he is the best in the world. I say that without seeing every other keeper in action but the guy is pretty much flawless so theres no way someone can be better.
    He will go down as the best goalkeeper to ever play for United even if his career continues somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Rooney on playing as Midfielder.
    “I've known for a few years (how to play in midfield), I have played there a few times throughout my career and I can play that position,” Rooney said.

“I have played and watched Paul Scholes play that role for years and I always knew that one day that is where I would play, so I have tried to learn and watch what he did. It is still early days but hopefully if I keep playing there I can develop and get better.

“I think I can free other players up. Obviously it is down to the manager, it is his decision and for the team, more importantly, it is the right thing to do at this moment in time.

“We have got a lot of pace in the team now and I think I can read the game quite well and whether to go forward or stay deeper and leave the space for the other lads.”

Played some really nice passes in the last 2 games but long term it's not a good idea at all.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Rooney on playing as Midfielder.

Played some really nice passes in the last 2 games but long term it's not a good idea at all.

He can probably contribute more there now than up front so I'm in favour of it. With his head completely focused on being a midfielder he might improve. Jose will teach him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

GSPfan wrote: »
    He can probably contribute more there now than up front so I'm in favour of it. With his head completely focused on being a midfielder he might improve. Jose will teach him.

He's still probably the best finisher at the club. I'd like to see him get into forward positions a bit more, seems to be hanging back a lot. Always been the problem when he's not played up front. Plays his position too rigidly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I just dont think Rooney is a midfielder and the "Stephen Gerrard impression" joke couldn't be more accurate.

Rooney,Martial & Rashford vying for 1/2 forward places next season sounds good imo.

I feel as if that's Rooney acknowledging he's not our #1 striker this season and will struggle to maintain that spot next season, so is trying to negotiate a position for himself elsewhere on the team. Which is admirable that he is fighting for a spot.

At the same time, I'd love if instead of trying to convert a striker into a CM, we just focus on getting a proper CM player into that position and letting them thrive in their natural positions. I would appreciate if the whole "forcing players into unnatural positions" philosophy went out the door with Van Gaal...

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »

The Star go one further and say he'll be given £300 million to spend.

The "Jose to be announced in next two weeks" stories are all stemming from The Express, and theirs comes from that article in Portugal. They all are just reporting from one source.

God, I'd love it to be true though. Especially the €300m bit. Jose with €300m would be a force of nature...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rooney in midfield...

The more things change the more they stay the same.

• Rooney in midfield...

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Anything good to say about the weekend?

Rooney did well tbf to him, can't see a future as lead striker for him now that Rashford / Martial are taking centre stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Rooney was excellent the weekend I don't know if he is our solution in midfield but the past games he played there since he came back he has had a good influence.

Previous attempts at converting him have mostly failed but maybe he has resigned to fact he wont be number one striker and is more open to adapting thats why we have seen better performance from him but it will take alot more games to convince me.

Right now Im happy for him to be there playing out the season and drive the team on he seems to offer more then mata.

• Advertisement

300 million sheeeesh barely buy you a packet of peanuts, I remember in my day it'd buy you a whole squad, brand new stadium, Sepp blatter, a Bruce Grobbler fumble every ref for the season and you'd still have change for a packet of crisps and a can of coke.

In fairness Rooney in midfield, is actually good on the ball and doesn't go hiding, isn't easily pressed and has a range of passing. Don't think any other midfielder atm ticks these boxes bar Bastian (who Rooney seems fitter then :eek:)

Hell he sold a dummy the last day and actually went by a player, something we havn't seen much of this season from midfield the only other midfielder we have who does that is Fellaini who is too safe with his use of the ball

Credit where credit is due LVG got his tactics spot on in the first half against Everton. There was a dizzying amount of movement up front and Rooney was like an artillery piece firing highly accurate passes from outside the range of Everton's defence. It was the most entertaining game of LVG's reign so far. Hopefully this entertaining brand of football will continue for the next few games so he can be remembered well when he leaves this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The £300 million must include buying Neymar, sure Neymar will not be playing in the Copa America for Brazil this year, he will be at the Olympics...making sure he can't get injured before a sale in July... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'm happy enough with Rooney in midfield at the moment. He's bringing a much needed tempo to it and has the ability to play passes in behind a defence when Rashford, Martial and Lingard make runs whereas Carrick and Schneiderlin look as if they've been told they'll be thrown off the top of the Stretford End if they attempt any sort of chip or dink in behind. That stretches the field for us at the minute.

It's a short term solution but we're dealing with the short term now anyways, only 5 games left and we need that bit of drive from deep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

De Gea is unbelievable. I honestly think there's a good chance he is going to Real Madrid but he is the best in the world. I say that without seeing every other keeper in action but the guy is pretty much flawless so theres no way someone can be better.
    He will go down as the best goalkeeper to ever play for United even if his career continues somewhere else.

I think he's definitely the best in the world. Where would United be in the table if it wasn't for him? Mid table?

As a shot stopper he's ahead of any other keeper and he has improved his all round game to be the best in the world imo. Neuer is a great keeper but I think he's overrated and would much prefer De Gea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

De Gea gives me a level of confidence when the opposition have the defence outnumbered (or indeed when they go one on one) that I can't recall ever having with any other keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

De Gea gives me a level of confidence when the opposition have the defence outnumbered (or indeed when they go one on one) that I can't recall ever having with any other keeper.

35506.jpg

Anything good to say about the weekend?

Rooney did well tbf to him, can't see a future as lead striker for him now that Rashford / Martial are taking centre stage

Do you think we can win a title with Rooney in midfield ?

He was good at the weekend but doesnt mean he should be anything more than back up for that position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Vardy appealing his suspension, hopefully it fails

• beno619 wrote: »
    Do you think we can win a title with Rooney in midfield ?

He was good at the weekend but doesnt mean he should be anything more than back up for that position.

ehh K that's not what I said but since you ask who's to say he hasn't the ability to develop into such a role?

If we are to find a use for Rooney it's looking like the best option. Either that or backup if the young lads are injured up front.
    If not then sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

adox wrote: »
    <Schmeichel>

My gut would be that Schmeichel tended to be under less pressure than De Gea because he had a better team in front of him, but to be honest I was a child for most of his tenure so I wouldn't rely on my assessment. As I said, it's the most confident I've ever felt in a United keeper. That's a far cry from saying "He's the best United keeper ev4r!" :P

astradave wrote: »

That Renato Sanches transfer is nailed on in my opinion.

RobertKK wrote: »
    That Renato Sanches transfer is nailed on in my opinion.

Yhh id say so too, I haven't heard any mention of any other clubs evolved or linked to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

My gut would be that Schmeichel tended to be under less pressure than De Gea because he had a better team in front of him, but to be honest I was a child for most of his tenure so I wouldn't rely on my assessment. As I said, it's the most confident I've ever felt in a United keeper. That's a far cry from saying "He's the best United keeper ev4r!" :P
    The thing about Schmeichel is that he had such a mammoth "presence" in a way that De Gea doesn't. You had such confidence in Big Pete because time and again he dominated in the one on ones, to the point that even if a striker did get in on goal you still expected us to be ok. Opposition strikers knew it too, you could almost see their confidence drop as that big starfish came flying out at them!

One thing to remember as well, that although Pete did have a better team in front of him it was also by far a more attacking and open team, meaning a bit less protection for the keeper at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Without doubt the best keeper in the world while at United. He had rivals, but he was without question for me anyway, the best in the world and up there in the GOAT debate.

He saved the team many times, not sure about the pressure part, we tended to be a good bit more open in those days also so he had plenty of work to do :)

Take nothing away from De Gea of course, I am the same, he gives you great confidence in almost the same way The Great Dane did, and VDS wasn't half bad either

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

40m sounds pretty extravagant. Although players from Portugal always seem to have mental release clauses.

Whats the general thoughts on him? Versus Bayern was the first I saw of him and he looked pretty decent but that is very much an isolated viewing.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yhh id say so too, I haven't heard any mention of any other clubs evolved or linked to him.

Real Madrid were linked with him earlier in the year, but it appears Woodward and his team did the heavy lifting, and struck a deal.
    Then if you are Renato Sanches, and a very young player and you look at both clubs, you have to think well my chances of playing are so much higher at United than at Real Madrid, plus Mendes is again appearing to be a growing influence at United.

• Advertisement

The thing about Schmeichel is that he had such a mammoth "presence" in a way that De Gea doesn't. You had such confidence in Big Pete because time and again he dominated in the one on ones, to the point that even if a striker did get in on goal you still expected us to be ok. Opposition strikers knew it too, you could almost see their confidence drop as that big starfish came flying out at them!

One thing to remember as well, that although Pete did have a better team in front of him it was also by far a more attacking and open team, meaning a bit less protection for the keeper at times.

De gea does not need to have a big physical presence like Schmeichel Id say the majority of the times he is one on one with a player he will come out on top before the player even kicks the ball because of the aura he has ;)

Schmeichel has a good few howlers in his highlight package. He was a nut case at times for running out to meet strikers instead of covering his goal. He is a legend but De Gea is showing an insane level of error-less performances. I feel like we are witnessing one of the all time greats much like Ronaldo's time at United.

Schmeichel was the best goalkeeper in the world during his heyday, and one reason Denmark won in 1992.
    He was great at making himself big and intimidating strikers, and giving Bruce and Pallister sore ears with all his shouting.
    He had a great aura about him and he also scored for United...

ehh K that's not what I said but since you ask who's to say he hasn't the ability to develop into such a role?

If we are to find a use for Rooney it's looking like the best option. Either that or backup if the young lads are injured up front.
    If not then sell him.

After watching him for 12 years I dont think he's a midfielder.

I think Rooney's demise as a viable option up front has been overblown.

• beno619 wrote: »
    After watching him for 12 years I dont think he's a midfielder.

I think Rooney's demise as a viable option up front has been overblown.

Never said it was a demise I just don't see LVG or whoever is in charge next having him leading the line.
    Martial And Rashford have gotten the opportunity and I don't see it being taken away from them now. Why regress the youth by putting them behind Rooney at this stage?

Same goes for England.

Rooney to lead the line over Harry Kane? Don't think so.

Schmeichel has a good few howlers in his highlight package. He was a nut case at times for running out to meet strikers instead of covering his goal. He is a legend but De Gea is showing an insane level of error-less performances. I feel like we are witnessing one of the all time greats much like Ronaldo's time at United.

His celebration after Martial's winner was epic.

https://twitter.com/RedMancunian/status/724512607579836416

• Advertisement

I'm loving the passion De Gea has shown about the FA Cup. He seems to genuinely want to win the trophy, which is great to see. I know they all do, obviously, but De Gea looks absolutely desperate for it :P

Good interview with Mata. He might not be my favourite player on the pitch but he seems like one of the few footballers still with his feet on planet earth.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/25/manchester-united-juan-mata-footballers-obscene-money

He makes an honest observation about young players joining big clubs, I wonder if he was referring to anyone in particular.
    “Every player thinks he’s Diego Maradona when he joins a big club. That happens to all of us but then you notice it in the younger players.

“You see kids who think they’re rock stars; wearing extravagant clothes and driving flash cars … sometimes you have to take them aside and have a word.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

RobertKK wrote: »
    Real Madrid were linked with him earlier in the year, but it appears Woodward and his team did the heavy lifting, and struck a deal.
    Then if you are Renato Sanches, and a very young player and you look at both clubs, you have to think well my chances of playing are so much higher at United than at Real Madrid, plus Mendes is again appearing to be a growing influence at United.

A footballer chooses Utd over Madrid?

Man United shares continue to surge - must be getting Mourinho and Neymar :p

Korat wrote: »
    Good interview with Mata. He might not be my favourite player on the pitch but he seems like one of the few footballers still with his feet on planet earth.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/25/manchester-united-juan-mata-footballers-obscene-money

He makes an honest observation about young players joining big clubs, I wonder if he was referring to anyone in particular.

Memphis...

There has been chatter about his lifestyle and United maybe selling him in the summer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement