Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

zerks wrote: »
    His celebration after Martial's winner was epic.

https://twitter.com/RedMancunian/status/724512607579836416
    seeing how passionate he is has me half thinking he will stay at united and maintain legendary status

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RobertKK wrote: »
    Memphis...

There has been chatter about his lifestyle and United maybe selling him in the summer.

Rumours that Stoke want him on loan next season,might not be the worst move.If he cops on and shows he can use his talents week in-week out in the PL then come back to United a more mature player then I'd be all for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

zerks wrote: »
    Rumours that Stoke want him on loan next season,might not be the worst move.If he cops on and shows he can use his talents week in-week out in the PL then come back to United a more mature player then I'd be all for it.

I'm sure his reported ego will love that suggestion!! I'd really like him to buck up and recapture is PSV form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

RobertKK wrote: »
    Schmeichel was the best goalkeeper in the world during his heyday, and one reason Denmark won in 1992.
    He was great at making himself big and intimidating strikers, and giving Bruce and Pallister sore ears with all his shouting.
    He had a great aura about him and he also scored for United...

He was 29 years old and at his peak in 1992. DDG has four years of improvement before peaking and way ahead of the curve in development. I couldn't tell you how good or bad Peter was in his mid 20s.

I loved the big Dane but I think DDG has the potential to be even better. DDG also doesn't have the same kind of defences or teams that Schmeichal had in the 90s. In saying that, I think there's a concentration required by goalkeepers who don't have much work versus busy keepers so don't totally hold that against Peter. But like mentioned Schmeichal was prone to a few errors during a season but I don't think any keeper is exempt from these moments, but it relevant do people don't get too nastalgic and forget the Great Dane wasn't perfect.

DDG has already shown unbelievable ability to be a match winner and while Peter was bigger, I think DDG cat like reflexes and agility more then compensates for a less physical presence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd say as a striker bearing down on Schmeichel it must have felt like a total eclipse of the goal when he came out at you.

Not much point in trying o compare them cos in many ways they are very different bit the comparison that matters is that they've both been brilliant at winning points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'd say as a striker bearing down on Schmeichel it must have felt like a total eclipse of the goal when he came out at you.

Not much point in trying o compare them cos in many ways they are very different bit the comparison that matters is that they've both been brilliant at winning points.

Ultimately its different techniques bit same outcome from two top keepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Schmeichel is the best keeper I have ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

adox wrote: »

He'd edge it for me over DDG at the moment too however if he continues his upward trajectory (and stays with us of course) he will go on to be the greatest keeper in our history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Ruud Van Nistelrooy was arguably the best striker Utd have ever had but he happened to be around during a relatively fallow spell so he's rarely included in all time XIs. De Gea has a long way to go if he's to be considered along side Schmeichel and Van Der Sar once the present hype about him passes. The Champions League is the trophy that really counts when it comes to cementing your reputation as one of the greats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,861 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Korat wrote: »
    De Gea has a long way to go if he's to be considered along side Schmeichel and Van Der Sar once the present hype about him passes. The Champions League is the trophy that really counts when it comes to cementing your reputation as one of the greats.

He has a long way to go because he is still really only starting out. He is very young for a keeper and seems to have a level of coolness and maturity about him beyond his years, as well as ability and athleticism he has it all so unless something bad happened like a serious injury or two he should certainly be up there with them if not better all be it yes winning trophy's count. Plenty of time for him to get there. Also I don't think there is much hype about him imo, I think the plaudits he gets are deserved and as long as he continues playing at this level and keeps improving there will be plenty more coming his way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Doesn't he have a €45m buyout clause? Wouldn't put it past us to somehow pay more than a buyout though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Doesn't he have a €45m buyout clause? Wouldn't put it past us to somehow pay more than a buyout though

Sport Witness mentioned earlier that the buy out clause was incorrect in the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

adox wrote: »

I actually think edwin edges it for me for the two but de gea is gaining ground quick on the two especally if he stays

If jose actually did join united in summer and sign Sanchez I reckon di marzio will be elevated to superstar status for journalists lol. Others have said it but none have stuck with it like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

28k tickets for the final. The scramble starts now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As things stand both the Scottish and FA Cup semi final are on same time.

I have big problem:(:(

2 screens, twice as nervous :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

2-tvs-grandad.jpg

I think your problem has been solved Kew the fa cup semi finals were on the weekend ya missed them :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

sky88 wrote: »
    I actually think edwin edges it for me for the two but de gea is gaining ground quick on the two especally if he stays

It really is something that doesn't get mentioned too often even though he was at the club only 5 years ago, just how good VDS was. For me it really is splitting hairs between him and Schmeichel as to who was better for us, and that's saying something considering Schmeichel would make 99.999% of top 3 GK of all time lists (typically with Yashin and one of Zoff/Banks/Maier/Buffon probably at this stage too).

He also holds (or at his retirement, held) the record for most minutes without conceding a goal at both top flight club and international levels. I would argue VDS/Rio/Vidic is as good as perhaps and GK/CB/CB combo the game has ever seen, personally.

All this talk about just how good DDG is reminds me of the 'let him rot in he reserves' brigade.

Ell oh ell

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://twitter.com/ManUtdMEN/status/724650137943969792

MEN: As suspected, Mourinho has agreed a deal to become the next United manager #mufc

Though when you click the story, there's nothing new...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Lord TSC wrote: »

But it's 'agreed'. Surely that has to mean something! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

All this talk about just how good DDG is reminds me of the 'let him rot in he reserves' brigade.

Ell oh ell

There's some people who still have a slight grudge against him even now and will cling on to weaknesses that aren't really even there any more. After how all-out some people went on him being a guaranteed failure in the making so early in his career, they must be slightly sickened to see just how spectacularly wrong they were. I actually can't remember the last time a player went on to prove their doubters so hilariously cluele... oh wait.

Ell oh ell

Talking about twisting people's words lol. What has the rot in the reserves view got to do with how good he is??

I dont think anyone had the opinion of leaving him in reserves apart from if madrid didn't pay enough money for him they shouldn't get him on the cheap.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Talking about twisting people's words lol. What has the rot in the reserves view got to do with how good he is??

I dont think anyone had the opinion of leaving him in reserves apart from if madrid didn't pay enough money for him they shouldn't get him on the cheap.

There were plenty of people who claimed his desire to leave warranted a season in the reserves because he wanted to be elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

There were plenty of people who claimed his desire to leave warranted a season in the reserves because he wanted to be elsewhere.

Yeah that is true but jayo is saying that none of them doubted De Gea's greatness. You can believe De Gea is the best keeper in the world and want him to rot in the reserves. They are two completely seperate things.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Yeah that is true but jayo is saying that none of them doubted De Gea's greatness. You can believe De Gea is the best keeper in the world and want him to rot in the reserves. They are two completely seperate things.

It seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Particularly in light of how he's played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,648 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lord TSC wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ManUtdMEN/status/724650137943969792

MEN: As suspected, Mourinho has agreed a deal to become the next United manager #mufc

Im starting to believe even if a very unikely 4th spot and a better chance FA Cup triumph that LVG is gone anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I never said it was smart! :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Dropping him at the start of the season prior to Euro 2016 focused things and led to him signing a new 4 year deal when he could have left for zero this summer. He was perfectly handled after the Real move collapsed.

Sand wrote: »
    Dropping him at the start of the season prior to Euro 2016 focused things and led to him signing a new 4 year deal when he could have left for zero this summer. He was perfectly handled after the Real move collapsed.

I never said it wasn't.

I just said it seems like madness now that people wanted him to be left in the reserves all season, because he didn't really want to be at United.

I'm not saying it was a widespread belief but there were quite a few that said it.

But ye see the putting him in the reserves was not Because he wanted to go it was because madrid wouldnt Pay up.

I think everyone here was of the opinion that he would be gone last summer but the main difference was some people wanted to sell him to Madrid for 15 million and then others including myself said that we should hold out for madrid for close to 30 million because wouldnt allow himself To be in the reserves for the season because of the euros.

15 million would not do anything for us last summer it wasn't a major amount of money to miss out on if it ment keeping Him for the year.

All in all its worked out l great for united and every season he is with the club with a contract is a bonus for Us so we enjoy it while it lasts and hope to see more fist pumping from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

personally I think I advocated bringing De Gea back in simply because he was so much better than the other options. If United had of signed a potentially good replacement for De Gea, i'd have left De Gea out until he both committed himself to the club and proved himself better than the other option.

As it was, we had Romero and Johnstone - neither viable to displace De Gea, though I would have far prefered to see Johnstone play over Romero. Johnstone was considered the better keeper between himself and Butland until Butland started player regular competitive first team football.

personally I think I advocated bringing De Gea back in simply because he was so much better than the other options. If United had of signed a potentially good replacement for De Gea, i'd have left De Gea out until he both committed himself to the club and proved himself better than the other option.

As it was, we had Romero and Johnstone - neither viable to displace De Gea, though I would have far prefered to see Johnstone play over Romero. Johnstone was considered the better keeper between himself and Butland until Butland started player regular competitive first team football.

I dont think anyone wanted him in reserves at start of season it was last May or June when mostly everyone was talking about it. I thought all were of the view of getting him in instead of romeo ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I just said it seems like madness now that people wanted him to be left in the reserves all season, because he didn't really want to be at United.

As mad as banishing Valdes because he didn't want to play for the U-21s?

I thought there a bit of a double standard applied there. De Gea wanted to leave altogether but was allowed back to the fold when it didn't work out but Valdes got treated harshly by comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I must admit it would give me great joy to see Van Gaal lifting the FA cup

He has tried his best to make it work here, even if I disagree with how he has tried to do it.and it hasn't worked out in the end. A likeable character

Korat wrote: »
    As mad as banishing Valdes because he didn't want to play for the U-21s?

I thought there a bit of a double standard applied there. De Gea wanted to leave altogether but was allowed back to the fold when it didn't work out but Valdes got treated harshly by comparison.

De Gea was honest about his intentions, and by all accounts, it was LVG's decision not to play him while the saga was ongoing. Had he left, he had given us his all while still here. There was never talk that he was a disruptive force in the dressing room.

Valdes seemed to think playing for the u21s was beneath him, was quite public in challenging LVG on social media (admittedly after LVG also was public in his criticisms), and there was some reports (iirc) he was happy to sit and collect a paycheck at United.

The attitudes couldn't be more different.

If the Spurs/Brom game stays the way it is, then Leicester can win the league with a win against us next Sunday. I'm glad for them, but I wish that game had just waited another game or two. If we thought Leicester were going to be playing out of their skin before, they'll be doubley so now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I feel sorry for Spurs, any other season i'd be routing for them.

• Advertisement

I feel sorry for Spurs, any other season i'd be routing for them.

Imagine this time last year, saying Spurs would be above United, Chelsea, City and Arsenal, and still wouldn't be top :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Leciester winning the Premier League at Old Trafford would be lovely to see but we can't let it happen!!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Leciester winning the Premier League at Old Trafford would be lovely to see but we can't let it happen!!!! :p

Lovely?? I'd be absolutely disgusted if we were to let them win the title at OT. Feck that!

• Jayop wrote: »
    Lovely?? I'd be absolutely disgusted if we were to let them win the title at OT. Feck that!

Exactly, I don't care who it is, seeing another team win the lague at Old Trafford? No thanks.

And we still have it all to play for.

I'm hoping for a Utd win so the hate for us grows stronger mwhuhuaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Absolutely. I hope they win it at this stage but only after we smash them 5-0.

jayo26 wrote: »
    But ye see the putting him in the reserves was not Because he wanted to go it was because madrid wouldnt Pay up.

I think everyone here was of the opinion that he would be gone last summer but the main difference was some people wanted to sell him to Madrid for 15 million and then others including myself said that we should hold out for madrid for close to 30 million because wouldnt allow himself To be in the reserves for the season because of the euros.

15 million would not do anything for us last summer it wasn't a major amount of money to miss out on if it ment keeping Him for the year.

All in all its worked out l great for united and every season he is with the club with a contract is a bonus for Us so we enjoy it while it lasts and hope to see more fist pumping from him.

I'm not talking about before the Madrid deal fell apart. There were still people unhappy with the fact that he clearly wanted to go to Madrid.

It's completely separate from those wanting to be dropped until he either went for an appropriate fee or signed up at United. That was handled correctly by United.

It's a moot point anyway.

I'm just hoping this season isn't going to prove to be his last at United:)

I'm not talking about before the Madrid deal fell apart. There were still people unhappy with the fact that he clearly wanted to go to Madrid.

It's completely separate from those wanting to be dropped until he either went for an appropriate fee or signed up at United. That was handled correctly by United.

It's a moot point anyway.

I'm just hoping this season isn't going to prove to be his last at United:)

I dont think it will be im quietly confident of keeping him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I've been cheering for them but I hope we batter Leicester, the league is sewn up, Chelsea will roll over

Fcuk letting them win a title at Old Trafford

The result tonight just means we don't have to feel any bit bad when we beat them next week... As they will win the title anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,648 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I hope we ****ing destroy them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement