Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

brinty wrote: »
    Memphis under a new manager could be like a new signing next season..
    And under Jose he'd have to start toeing the line or he'd be out

I could see him being like Robben in his Chelsea days under Jose's management..
    One could hope, but I don't believe he has the dribbling ability or finesse to become such a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/725238067032940549

Well Paddy McNair is 21 today!

What's the story with him? He injured or just not getting picked by LVG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/725238067032940549

Well Paddy McNair is 21 today!

What's the story with him? He injured or just not getting picked by LVG?

Scored for the U21's last week.

zerks wrote: »
    Scored for the U21's last week.

Oh yeah, against Middlesborough! I gather he's just not in LvGs plans at the moment. It's a shame as I think he played well when he got a few games earlier on in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,348 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not been watching lately but apparently he has been looking very good for the U21 side playing as a holding midfielder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Not been watching lately but apparently he has been looking very good for the U21 side playing as a holding midfielder.

He has indeed and Phil Jones has been looking very....... Phil Jones. He has actually looked really poor maybe he be re energised come pre season but he needs to pull his head out of his ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Watched him in the game against Middlesboro game and a part of the game against Tottenham, looked very comfortable in both games - much like a senior player playing with the U21's. Broke things up well and more importantly did the simple things on the ball like little passes into the front men or keeping things moving.

On Jones the one thing that worries me is his mentality. He looks as if one mistake rattles him in a game, if he ****s up a touch and has to boot it into the stand it's as if it stays in his head for ages afterwards and he's unsettled. He's still relatively young yet but hopefully he comes on a bit with another pre-season under his belt.

• This day 2 years ago..we all laughed at a slippy situation....alot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    This day 2 years ago..we all laughed at a slippy situation....alot :)

Demba Ba - The Saviour of Football.

• ElChe32 wrote: »
    Demba Ba - The Saviour of Football.

Remember this? I'd say if Jose does become manager at Utd he wont be getting a warm reception @ Anfield

mourinho-gerrard.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Remember this? I'd say if Jose does become manager at Utd he wont be getting a warm reception @ Anfield

Ah stop, I'm already sold on him without needing more reasons to love him.

OptimisticDisastrousAquaticleech.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Still laughing at Gerrard over that slip? It's been two years. Grow up, lads.

safrjy5w.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Lads I won't deny how ****ting my pants I was this day two years ago

Thank you agent Gerrard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I still have a chuckle every time I think of Gerrard.

It's must be once a week I have a little 30 second chuckle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

RobertKK wrote: »
    He has been saying it for a good while now. He sees United as having a very cheap valuation, he saw ex Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer buy the NBA team the LA Clippers for $2 billion, and the Clippers are nowhere near as popular or generate anywhere near the money that United do who have a valuation of $3 billion.

Then one can look at City and the 13% the Chinese bought, which would put an overall valuation of City at $3 billion also. Now does anyone believe that City is as valuable as United?
    It is like saying if the LA Clippers are worth $2 billion, would you also value the LA Lakers at $2 billion?

Ron Baron will not be selling his stake, he is very bullish when it comes to United and has consistently said it is one of his top three stocks to own based on valuation. He believes United should be valued at $6 billion plus.

Why are you trying to compare NBA organisations and Premier League football clubs? It genuinely is an apples and oranges argument.

Also those who have said it are correct, hedge fund managers are generally bullish on markets they've invested in, particularly when they perform slightly worse than their initial expectation. They have to communicate their thoughts and expectations of the fund to the investors and they'll find a lot of people giving notification of their intention to withdraw their investment if they say all the picks they made currently look like ****e.

schadenfreude
    ˈʃɑːd(ə)nˌfrɔɪdə,German ˈʃɑːdənˌfrɔydə/
    pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

I schadenfreude'd meself that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Very harsh lads.

He gave them every warning 2 weeks before that game that they were not to let it slip or it blow in their face... Again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The camera kisser pushing away the camera like that....poor form

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jayop wrote: »
    The camera kisser pushing away the camera like that....poor form

lol

Ya was amazed he never married his long term love Titi Camera.

• Advertisement

13102801_1607975792862342_8104407140419621570_n.jpg?oh=76bf7bcfa201952d8cdab466eb73cbbb&oe=57A84F44

Arise Sir Demba!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Pochettino has said he'd love to manage PSG some day, on the same day The Star (lol, I know) say we've held secret talks with Blanc. So I'd expect that to become a massive talking point with us in mind over the next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

PSG would be a very shrewd step in Pochettino's career, guaranteed league titles and a blank cheque to have a go at the champions league

He would be foolish to try take on too much too soon similar to AVB, I think PSG would be the step that AVB tried to leap over when he joined Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Be great to see Spurs stumble back down to top 6 again after there little title flirt

Be great to see Spurs stumble back down to top 6 again after there little title flirt

I'd say it's pretty much inevitable.

I think I'll have a wee fiver on them being out of the top 4 and Leicester being relegated next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I think I'll have a wee fiver on them being out of the top 4 and Leicester being relegated next season.

Not a chance... Spurs will probably drop to 4th,5th or 6th but Leicester will be mid table at the least I'd imagine

• Advertisement

Nalz wrote: »
    Not a chance... Spurs will probably drop to 4th,5th or 6th but Leicester will be mid table at the least I'd imagine

I'd say you're right but the odds could be decent.

I just can't partake in that thinking once United are currently miles behind them. Spurs at this moment show more hope of kicking on and progressing under Pochettino than we do under LVG. That said though, it must be seriously frustrating for Spurs fans in a season where they are ahead of United, Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Liverpool, but still aren't going to win the league.

stankratz wrote: »
    I just can't partake in that thinking once United are currently miles behind them. Spurs at this moment show more hope of kicking on and progressing under Pochettino than we do under LVG. That said though, it must be seriously frustrating for Spurs fans in a season where they are ahead of United, Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Liverpool, but still aren't going to win the league.

Meh, they have a stadium to build now which will hamper then for the next few years and Poch wont be around for much longer. They'll be back in their rightful place soon enough as will we.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,855 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Nalz wrote: »

Spurs will have a far greater chance in my opinion of holding onto their star players and even adding one or two to that squad. Leicester however are still Leicester and no matter if they win the League and have CL football next season I don't think they will be a huge draw for top top level talent and will have a job holding onto their top end talent themselves.. Vardy, Mahrez, Kante etc... I think there have already been quotes attributed to Mahrez and Kante about not closing doors on moves etc this summer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,348 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think they are in a very good position - some smart buys, and holding on to Kane, in the summer and they will remain a big threat in the league. They need to add another striker at least - too much of a dependence on Kane - they need someone they can throw on up top with him, in games like that West Brom one the other night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Strumms wrote: »
    Spurs will have a far greater chance in my opinion of holding onto their star players and even adding one or two to that squad. Leicester however are still Leicester and no matter if they win the League and have CL football next season I don't think they will be a huge draw for top top level talent and will have a job holding onto their top end talent themselves.. Vardy, Mahrez, Kante etc... I think there have already been quotes attributed to Mahrez and Kante about not closing doors on moves etc this summer..

Vardy won't go anywhere and should get a decent new contract.

Kante nailed on to leave and Mahrez will probably be off too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Leicester are going to be the hip team to play for everyonewill be talking about them if they win the league. If they spend their money wisely they will be around for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Who exactly is he giving the "Shhh" treatment to? The four people on the sidelines? Also, kicking the corner flag?

There's a lad who plays too much Fifa.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Who exactly is he giving the "Shhh" treatment to? The four people on the sidelines? Also, kicking the corner flag?

Ah lighten up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

J. Marston wrote: »

Chill man. He's just doing it for fun clearly. He's only a kid anyways

• Greizmann ftw

Would love him at Utd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Where is everyone!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Herrera and Shaw were identified by DAVID MOYES - the UNITED MANAGER. The signings were not made until they were ok'd by LVG. Rojo and Blind were targeted because they were players LVG said he wanted.

The manager picks the players to be signed - apart from (as far as I am aware) Mata, who woodward wanted signed when it became apparent we could get him.

In general, it is the manager that picks the players to be signed - he may provide a list of players for any given position and then the club get whichever they can but I find your entirely baseless assertion that Woodward (or someone you have not identified) decided to sign Schneiderlin and Schweinstieger and just handed them on to LVG. There is no transfer committee at United.

As i previously said, I don't think United should win the title every season - but they should be able to COMPETE for the title every season. Not even competing for the title, as we have not done in three seasons, is a failure. I can't see how you can look at it any other way. I don't care if other clubs are also failing to meet their targets too - that doesn't make United's failures more acceptable or tolerable.

What sets United apart? Why should they be at least competing for the title every season?

Money and history - United have spent the transfer fees, and certainly spend the wages, to have a group of players amongst the best in the country. If that isn't the case, or the manager is getting less than the best out of them, it is a failure. Pure and simple, and steps should be taken to rectify those failures.

The history of a club should have little to do with their expectations. That's the kind of phrase that united fans used to slag Liverpool fans for using.

United has not spent more money then their rivals since Veron and Ruud joined. you plucked one tabloid figure (250mil) in isolation that simply sounded big but was in no way spectacular in comparison to the money spent by rivals over the last 5 years.

In relation to players, your saying Moyes identified some targets and LVG agreed to let them be signed. So LVG didn't choose these players , he agreed that they would fit into his plans. Just like he doesn't pick every player bought.

You actually admitted that Mata wasn't (clearly) a Moyes kind of player which shows the club Is not against buying players.

I am not saying LVG doesn't have input into signings. But I don't believe the modern manager is expected to be as involved in player signings as some people think.

There is nothing special about United anymore if they take on Jose. It's not wrong to want success and if Jose was properly financed I have no doubt he would succeed. But that would require a massive investment that the club has been unwilling to spend. Asides from DDG United doesn't have any obvious world class players performing at a consistently high level. They have some good looking youngsters but that will take time.

I think the team has shown signs of improvement. Their erratic performances are very much what I would expect from a team in major transition (practically new squad over 2 seasons) and a lot of youth. There have been patches of great football between some awfully boring stuff, but I believe it's progress by degrees.

You look at results and overall performances which is the normal way fans rate their team and is quite reasonable. But under haven't been buying star players like top clubs. They have made huge changes and been building a squad like only other top club has been trying in the last 3 seasons. I don't feel a normal comparison is prudent simply because United (rightly or wrongly) haven't been trying to do things like most top clubs (buy star quality for instant success). Growing a club in this manner takes time. I see improvements , not perfection.

If you look at United in the fergie years what seperate them from the pack was stability in manager and the bedrock of a team built on homegrown youth players. You could say something similar for the recent Barca success that , manager aside, has all been about continuity of team and how it plays. United trying to follow a similar pattern makes sense. It's a longer term approach that involves patience and adjusting. The top 4 target is more important for sponsors then it is club development. I think it's a better strategy then "we finished a higher spot then last season so we are improving". It doesn't guarantee success but if, like when the club persevered with fergie when he was struggling, it works, it can yield far more long term success. It's not normal for clubs or fans to be patient, particularly ones the size of United, but I think it's a better plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

This place is dead right now....
    So I'll pop a question to hopefully get the wheel rolling again:

If u were the United manager, what players would you be looking to bring in this summer to strengthen the first team?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

If u were the United manager, what players would you be looking to bring in this summer to strengthen the first team?

Mahrez, Vidics brother, Kane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

This place is dead right now.... So I'll pop a question to hopefully get the wheel rolling again:

If u were the United manager, what players would you be looking to bring in this summer to strengthen the first team?[/quote]
    Hummels
    Pogba
    Griezmann
    Ronaldo

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Mahrez, Vidics brother, Kane.

I thought The Undertaker was Kane's brother :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I'd look to get Kante in alongside Morgan of Herrera (Fellani and Carrick for backup) that should sure up the middle and give us significant energy.

I'd go all out for Marhez and Hummels too, and if I was being greedy Kane, however with how good Rashford has looked I think Martial/Rash/Rooney vying for time is not the worst.

Ah you can only dream :)

With that said if we dont get top 4 I couldn't realistically see any of them coming. It also looks like Kante has his heart set on PSG!

• 129895.jpg

HaHa

• Actually my best m8 Phil & Basti is better...

129970.jpg

Actually my best m8 Phil & Basti is better...

Big Basti Phil

That bears a slight resemblance to a young Gary Lineker :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Pure fantasy but I'd go for Laporte, Kante, Griezmann, Aubameyang.

If we were to line up
    De gea
    Darmian--Smalling--Laporte---Shaw

Schneiderlin
    Kante

Rooney
    Griezmann----Aubameyang
    Martial--

A pure dream but I'd love to see this side play together

129890.jpg

Who would have thought the good looks of Juan Mata coupled with Daley Blind's glorious hair could lead to such a bizarre looking combination! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Mark Clattenburg to referee FA Cup final between Manchester United and Crystal Palace

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement