Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Better him than Mike Dean i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Clattenburg as ref suits Palace as he lets a lot of stuff go. I'd expect a few hard tackles early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This place is dead right now....
    So I'll pop a question to hopefully get the wheel rolling again:

If u were the United manager, what players would you be looking to bring in this summer to strengthen the first team?

IN
    Kroos
    Marquinhos
    Eriksson
    Lukaku / Kane (Kane is starting to win me over btw of who I'd prefer)

Out
    Carrick
    Young
    Fellaini (sorry bro)

Last Chance Saloon
    Rojo
    Jones
    Januzaj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Marquinhos is more of a right back at the minute. He's an interesting player but hasn't consistently played as a CB since moving to PSG. I doubt PSG will sell him considering that Aurier hasn't exactly set the world alight since he showed all that promise at the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

TheDoc wrote: »
    IN
    Kroos
    Marquinhos
    Eriksson

Out
    Carrick
    Young
    Fellaini (sorry bro)

Last Chance Saloon
    Rojo
    Jones
    Januzaj

I'd be keeping Fellaini and Young.

Not good enough for a starting berth for a team with title aspirations but good utility players to have.

Fell in the last couple of games in particular showed he can still be of a lot of use.

Doubt he'd be happy as a second stringer though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We have plenty of filler players in the squad we need 3 or 4 players of real quality to put us back up there with the rest of the big clubs.

A good partner for Smalling, I'd love Pjanic for midfield if Pogba is going somewhere else. Then one or two attackers like Aubameyang or Griezmann.

If we get Mourihino then Fellaini stays I'd be certain enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

This place is dead right now....
    So I'll pop a question to hopefully get the wheel rolling again:

If u were the United manager, what players would you be looking to bring in this summer to strengthen the first team?

On the massive presumption we work our way into Champions League football next season:

Griezmann or Kane
    Nainggolan
    Romagnoli
    Reus

Complete pipe dream but think they're all in areas of the field we need help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

No way I'd sell young. He's perfect for the bench as he can cover about 5 positions to a high standard. Rarely let's us down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Jayop wrote: »
    No way I'd sell young. He's perfect for the bench as he can cover about 5 positions to a high standard. Rarely let's us down.
    Which type of 'high' are you talking about, specifically? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's Goal but I'd like to see Kante at United,a 'proper' midfielder who covers every blade of grass.
    http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2016/04/28/22889402/manchester-united-plan-kante-transfer-talks-when-leicester?ICID=HP_HN_1

United 7/2 to get Kroos (who LVG vetoed)

A Ladbrokes spokesman said: “Returning interest for Kroos looks to be the final nail in the coffin for Louis van Gaal but we’re sure United’s fans will be happy with the swap.

“Manchester City appear to be the Red Devils’ nearest rivals for the 26-year-old but we fancy it will be Old Trafford in Kroos’ control next season.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

zerks wrote: »
    It's Goal but I'd like to see Kante at United,a 'proper' midfielder who covers every blade of grass.

Yeah but how would he do without all the drugs?

Kante has crossed my mind a good bit. On one hand, he is relatively unproven with one (absolutely brilliant) season in England albeit without much expectation, one year in Ligue 1 (which I assume was good but not spectacular if Leicester were able to get him) and then a season in each of Ligues 2 & 3 (easier that putting their actual names). It's interesting how he, Mahrez AND Vardy both have similar backgrounds in the lower leagues, by the way. On the other hand, he has played excellently and I think would be a really good fit - him at the base, Schneiderlin in the CM/box to box type role, and Herrera at the tip acting as a high-energy attacking midfielder could make an excellent trio.

Kante to go with Schneiderlin & Herrera, having backup of Schweinsteiger and Fellaini is really good in my opinion, especially compared with 2 years ago. But there is that slight fear that he is playing above his natural level and has caught lightning in a bottle to so speak. Then again, his price could be decent which would allow us to put more focus on the wings (in desperate need!), a CB and perhaps Kane/Lukaku/Ibrahimovic/other striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Has Kroos actually been any good for Madrid?

Billy86 wrote: »
    Which type of 'high' are you talking about, specifically? :p

He's been one of the most consistent performers when he's played the last few years. He's not top drawer, but not every player in teh squad needs to be.

Jayop wrote: »
    He's been one of the most consistent performers when he's played the last few years. He's not top drawer, but not every player in teh squad needs to be.

Barring perhaps last season, I don't think he's played above a level we could expect from a range of players. Before last season he had been brutal for the most part also. Added to that, the fact that he turns 31 in July means to me, he (like Valencia) are just blocking spots that players with much higher upside could be taking up. The likes of these 'ok' players are not helping us in terms of building for the future (for years we've put off various positions because there is someone there who is 'ok, not the worst') which has caused a stagnant squad, and with what appears to be a very strong, young nucleus now emerging in the team (DDG, Shaw, Fosu Mensah, Borthwick Jackson, Martial, Rashford as well as Smalling, Schneiderlin & Herrera) I would rather someone younger with a higher ceiling in his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

J. Marston wrote: »
    Has Kroos actually been any good for Madrid?

I have only seen Real play about 15 times this season so I can't give a very good detail, but for me he been disappointing.

Maybe one of my favourites players and he been non existent in some games.

Just my 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

TheDoc wrote: »
    IN
    Kroos
    Marquinhos
    Eriksson

Out
    Carrick
    Young
    Fellaini (sorry bro)

Last Chance Saloon
    Rojo
    Jones
    Januzaj

Get rid of Young and keep Jones & Januzaj....you can't be serious. Young has been excellent when called upon. I would pay for Jones to leave, **** on the field and **** off the field (which is most of the time)

If Liverpool don't win the EL and stay in 7th,they'll be depending on us to win the FA Cup for them to get into Europe next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Get rid of Young and keep Jones & Januzaj....you can't be serious. Young has been excellent when called upon. I would pay for Jones to leave, **** on the field and **** off the field (which is most of the time)

Young is the John o Shea, Ji Sung of United, he can do a job "ANYWHERE"

Getting rid of him over adnan who has been non existent as well as jones, you wut?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

I don't really think we're in a position to sell players! We need some additions first.

Young is the John o Shea, Ji Sung of United, he can do a job "ANYWHERE"

Getting rid of him over adnan who has been non existent as well as jones, you wut?

That's what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Alot of talk Hummel's is leaving Dortmund and Munich is his destination,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Hococop wrote: »

Dortmund confirmed Hummels asked for transfer to Bayern but they haven't matched their valuation.

I'd be of the opinion when Shaw gets fit the defense is fine. Maybe a utility player back there but Smalling and Blind have been excellent there and it's well stocked for players if Shaw can get back.

Spend a load on a right winger and Sanches and it goes a long way to fixing a lot of the deficiencies depending on how willing LVG/Mourinho/whoever trusts Rashford next season. I'd probably go for another striker and try to get Martial and Rashford to develop into wing forwards. A DM to free Schneiderlin and allow Carrick to be phased out ( :( ) would also be welcome.

As with last season, the best thing that can be done is keep DDG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Hococop wrote: »

Parents and girlfriend live in Munich
    He supports Bayern and used be on the books there and he grew up there... If he leaves Dortmund he's going too them I'm afraid and not OT. He's exactly what we need tho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Parents and girlfriend live in Munich
    He supports Bayern and used be on the books there and he grew up there... If he leaves Dortmund he's going too them I'm afraid and not OT. He's exactly what we need tho

He is going to Bayern and that's what Dortmund confirmed. Hummels asked for transfer to Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Am I only one who thinks Hummels is overrated?

Or am I totally wrong? now I don't watch him every game but he not been a bright spark a lot of time I do.

Again maybe I'm harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Am I only one who thinks Hummels is overrated?

Or am I totally wrong? now I don't watch him every game but he not been a bright spark a lot of time I do.

Again maybe I'm harsh.

I think his pace is his weakness.

Kroos has been underwhelming, he's a tidy player but that isn't enough. Obviously he is probably a little better than the options we have now but I'd rather have Schneiderlin and then spend the money on a real world class talent. The difference between Kroos and an in form Modric is huge, Modric just makes them tick at a much faster rate than Kroos does.

I'd much rather we buy Pjanic over Kroos, but I'm not sure how a Pjanic Schneiderlin duo would work, and if Mourinho is the next manager I think he would rather a more defensively minded pair or players who do a lot of work like Kante.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

129890.jpg

Who would have thought the good looks of Juan Mata coupled with Daley Blind's glorious hair could lead to such a bizarre looking combination! :eek:

What is this witchcraft?
    Please give it to Brinty to use on the ladies team....

paulbok wrote: »
    What is this witchcraft?

*match abandoned due to flooding*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think his pace is his weakness.

More then pace is his weakness I seen him few times for dortmund this season and he is prone to making big mistakes he showed that also against Liverpool.

While I think our defence this year have benefit alot from lvgs negative tactics I don't think it's the worst area, every defence is prone to mistakes we just need our forwards in good form to make and scoring goals to make up for it.

Id love a player like naingolin for our midfield he is proper box to box, defends and attacks non stop.

Forward id go for Lukaku and a right winger I don't think we should be trying to convert rashford to anything leave him where he is scoring goals and let him develope.

Sanchez for midfield could be a good signing but id go for Tielmans instead of him I think he has alot more potential and would be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

In -Stones, Barkley, Kante, Mane, and Kane
    Out- Jones, Young, Carrick, Fellani & Rooney
    De Gea
    Mensah. Smalling. Stones. Shaw
    Kante.
    Herrera. Barkley.
    Mane Martial.
    Kane

• Advertisement

:):):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Good to see Villareal finally get that goal, it might be important to our season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Liverpool are still big favourites to advance and win it. They beat Dortmund after being 2 down, they can easily sweep aside Villareal at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It will be an all Spanish CL final and an all Spanish EL final...

RobertKK wrote: »
    It will be an all Spanish CL final and an all Spanish EL final...

Id say pool will still get threw but it won't be as easy as they were expecting.

• Advertisement

Need Southampton to do us a big favour this weekend, hopefully City field a weakened team with Madrid in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

J. Marston wrote: »
    Liverpool are still big favourites to advance and win it. They beat Dortmund after being 2 down, they can easily sweep aside Villareal at home.

I don't think Villarreal will crumble at the back like Dortmund. They will be happy to soak up all the pressure and hit on the break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

paulbok wrote: »
    What is this witchcraft?

Our ladies team are beautiful enough

brinty wrote: »
    Our ladies team are beautiful enough

Unbelievable that people think we accept any standard on our team brinty haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote: »
    Unbelievable that people think we accept any standard on our team brinty haha.

Its a highly competitive environment and it involves a lot of hard decisions ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Anyone think we can the win on the Sunday...thinking 1.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I'm fairly optimistic about Sunday but then again, I've had this feeling a number of times within the last 2 seasons so I won't be surprised if things go tits up on the day.

The team has been playing better and we've got some good results recently so confidence should be high. We still though need Arsenal or City to slip up in their games if we want to get Top 4.

The bubble always bursts at the peak of hope. With both Liverpool and City not looking great in Europe and Arsenal dropping points last week the rollercoaster has probably reached the highest point and Leicester will be comfortable victors at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

I like to think we'll win just because it keeps the league interesting for another week!

Before anyone starts I know it's The Sun....

ChKV1KnW0AIJwIm.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement