Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Copy/Pasting from Reddit, RE out top 4 chances

We're on 59 points with 4 games to play. Winning all 4 games would net us 71 points.

Arsenal are currently on 67 with two games left, so winning those two would net them 73. 5 points from their last two games guarantees them top 4.

City are currently on 64 with 3 games left to play, so winning those would net them 73 points. 8 points from their last three nets them top 4.

Now, where the fun starts is we know one of them will drop at least 2 points, if not three (because they play each other still). So one of them at least will be capped at 71 points (technically both, if its a draw). We'd really be hoping one of them outright loses (a draw would be bad cause if they won their other games, best we could do is match them). A Loss for either would cap them at 70.

If we lose today, we'd be capped at 68. Arsenal would need two points from two games to be "safe" (though, again, goal difference would be one point would probably be enough). City would need 5 from three games.

(I think. I hope my Maths are right).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

How does anyone get 8 points from last 3 games?!

I wouldnt worry about any of it as it all hinges on us winning 4 games. Wont happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Afaik, he deleted ALL his pictures and unfollowed everyone but a few people. Not just United related.

To add to what you've said, he wasn't actually ever following any teammates. Strange one though, probably looking for attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

To add to what you've said, he wasn't actually ever following any teammates. Strange one though, probably looking for attention.

He's just making room for pictures of his new hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

He's with the match squad,Blind seems to be the only one missing. M E N had pics of the players arriving but Blind wasn't there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Sam Wallace, chief football writer for the Telegraph, says that...

Manchester United have finally made their opening move to appoint Jose Mourinho in the past three days and the next week will be critical if they are to install him as Louis van Gaal’s successor at the end of the season.

Mourinho, sacked on Dec 17 by Chelsea, wants the job but he has made it clear that he will not simply take it on any terms. His two key requirements are that any new club demonstrate to him that there is stability at the top, a clear structure of command and stability – which is what he feels he was not afforded at Chelsea in the third season of his second spell.

The 53-year-old also wants to begin his job at the very start of the summer, at the end of this season, without negotiations hanging over into the post-season. He wants a clean break from the past and, most importantly, the chance to go into the club, to analyse his squad over the maximum amount of time, to recommend signings and be ready for when the players come back in late July to begin working with the squad.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/04/30/manchester-united-make-opening-move-to-appoint-jose-mourinho/

Those are all positives. Wants to know he has backing from board and wants to get the ball asap.
    Hurry up to **** Woody and get him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

GSPfan wrote: »
    How does anyone get 8 points from last 3 games?!

I wouldnt worry about any of it as it all hinges on us winning 4 games. Wont happen.

LOL its a typo, as if you take 73 from 64 it equals 9 not 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Anyone fancy Fellaini starting today. I thought he was great last weekend vs Everton. He was bossing the middle of the park along with Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

See LVG says see me next year...surely not!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If we get top 4 I wonder if Van Gaal could refuse to be bought out of the final year of his contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Anyone fancy Fellaini starting today. I thought he was great last weekend vs Everton. He was bossing the middle of the park along with Rooney.

Nearly all of United's best performances the last 2 seasons bar maybe the recent City game have been Fellaini based.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I hope Schneiderlin gets a start ahead of Carrick today

The highlights of the West Brom game made me feel old: They gave a senior debut to a lad who was born the year United won The Treble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

If we get top 4 I wonder if Van Gaal could refuse to be bought out of the final year of his contract

He can but he can't stop the club getting rid of him if they wanted.

He would get his years pay eitherway buying him out would only happen if he had a couple years left and they tried do a deal say we pay you one year and you can go back to work straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

They can just put him on Gardening leave, there is always a way around that stuff

• Advertisement

So Giggs' missus will get half of what he owns in a divorce,that'd mean she would have more Premier League medals than Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Liverpool getting battered so far. Nice

Only problem is if Leicester get a result they'll invade our match thread and send it down the toilet.

Wrong thread pal we don't take any pleasure in other people's misery over here ;);););)

zerks wrote: »
    Only problem is if Leicester get a result they'll invade our match thread and send it down the toilet.

If Leicester get a result ill send it down toilet myself ha. We have to win today.

• Advertisement

1462101406929_lc_galleryImage_MANCHESTER_ENGLAND_MAY_01.JPG

The King is at the game today.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭twinex

Jaysus, he gets more regal as time passes....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

dsaddam1.jpg

For some reason reminds me of Saddam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Hococop wrote: »
    dsaddam1.jpg

For some reason reminds me of Saddam

But Eric really did have weapons of mass destruction :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

Happy with that!! Hopefully Martial puts in a performance like last week

LvG is saying this to justify his job.

"Now we are fighting for the Champions League and still in the FA Cup. We have to fight for something, and we shall do it. Hopefully we can beat Leicester City."

So do we want the team to lose & hopefully get rid or win & be stuck with him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Id rather see most of the players on the bench starting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Valencia at RB with Darmian on the bench. Ridiculous.

Discodog wrote: »
    LvG is saying this to justify his job.

"Now we are fighting for the Champions League and still in the FA Cup. We have to fight for something, and we shall do it. Hopefully we can beat Leicester City."

So do we want the team to lose & hopefully get rid or win & be stuck with him ?

The final few games of the season are not going to decide lvgs fate that decision has already been made there is noway the club are leaving it until may to decide if lvg stays or goes.

By sound of rumours the club are making decisions and signing players for next year the board are not deciding who them players are so obviously they are planning with another manager.

The decision was made months ago and even without champs league football if lvg was going he would be gone by now the only thing that gives me hope is the club have not publicly backed him.

Eitherway it would be ridiculous for the club to still not know who was going to manage them next year be it mourinho or lvg or giggs.

• Advertisement

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Id rather see most of the players on the bench starting :(

Me too. Would rather Darmain, Mensah, Depay and maybe Mata and Schneiderlin.

Having said that Rojo and Fellaini were good last time out, and we can always hope that Rooney and Lingard can play well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Not really happy with that lineup. The midfield has no legs. Can see Kante having a field day. Valencia and Rojo starting while Darmian and TFM on the bench. Herrera and Schneiderlin on the bench while Rooney is shoe-horned into midfield.

Liverpool lol :p:p

jayo26 wrote: »
    The final few games of the season are not going to decide lvgs fate that decision has already been made there is noway the club are leaving it until may to decide if lvg stays or goes.

By sound of rumours the club are making decisions and signing players for next year the board are not deciding who them players are so obviously they are planning with another manager.

The decision was made months ago and even without champs league football if lvg was going he would be gone by now the only thing that gives me hope is the club have not publicly backed him.

Eitherway it would be ridiculous for the club to still not know who was going to manage them next year be it mourinho or lvg or giggs.

But LvG clearly thinks that he is staying. He is intelligent enough to know that he could dismiss the questions. If he is sacked, he will look stupid which isn't his style.

Quandary wrote: »
    Not really happy with that lineup. The midfield has no legs

Rooney has plenty of legs no?
    If he is sacked, he will look stupid which isn't his style.

He's looked stupid a good few times the last 2 years!

Nalz wrote: »
    Me too. Would rather Darmain, Mensah, Depay and maybe Mata and Schneiderlin.

Having said that Rojo and Fellaini were good last time out, and we can always hope that Rooney and Lingard can play well.

I wouldnt have Depay starting but the others mentioned all should be considered with 1 of Mata/Herrera aswell

He's looked stupid a good few times the last 2 years!

Exactly & I wouldn't trust the Board not to give him another year.

Not anymore IMO. Hopefully he proves me wrong of course, but I don't think he has the discipline or stamina to be able to cover for Carricks lack of pace. Fellaini will need to have a massive game.

But LvG clearly thinks that he is staying. He is intelligent enough to know that he could dismiss the questions. If he is sacked, he will look stupid which isn't his style.

Yes and I think he is staying but if and a big of it turns out that he aint then I suspect he knows but its not been announced until end of season.

I dont think he is going to be sacked he will be gone by mutual concent if anything but. I can't see it happening.

• Advertisement

Liverpool lol :p:p

If i said that it would instantly mean a Liverpool comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Van Gaal is gone IMO. I'd pay no heed to the lip service he's providing.

We are going through his final days as the boss. I'd expect an announcement on Mourhino before the FA cup final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

adox wrote: »
    Van Gaal is gone IMO. I'd pay no heed to the lip service he's providing.

We are going through his final days as the boss. I'd expect an announcement on Mourhino before the FA cup final.

Just wondering how you are so confident on this? I hope your right by the way!

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Like me, I'd say he's thinking the board couldn't possibly be incompetent enough to keep him on as manager at this stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wouldn't pay heed to anything LVG says publically at this stage. If he dodges the question, then every paper would take it as proof he is gone. And until he is fired, his stance, professionally, should be "I plan to be here as long as possible and try my hardest to win everything possible".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Because it actually defies belief that he has lasted this long at such a big club.

The club has been beyond stupid in their handling of the situation and I refuse to believe that any professional top flight board, even the stupidly impotent board of Manchester United would allow it to continue beyond the season.

Mourhino makes perfect sense for all involved and all the noises would indicate he will arrive.

The announcement before the FA cup final is pure speculation on my part but it would make perfect sense timing wise for all involved.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't trust the Board to be competent. Hopefully they realise that if they wait another year, there might not be a suitable candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

LVG is gone. Pretty sure we have penalties in our sponsor contracts, particularly the Adidas one, for being out of the CL for more than a year. This kind of thing will, for better or worse, have massive implications on our managerial situation from now on.

• :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The silence and lack of backing from the club about his job is an obvious sign. They aren't announcing it cause they don't want the players to dip knowing they don't need to impress him anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

LVG is gone. Pretty sure we have penalties in our sponsor contracts, particularly the Adidas one, for being out of the CL for more than a year. This kind of thing will, for better or worse, have massive implications on our managerial situation from now on.

We qualified last year though so that wouldn't factor in to it. Think that it only kicks in if 2 successive seasons or more are missed.

The sponsorships will absolutely have a big bearing on whether managers keep their jobs or not though in the future for sure, not just managers either.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement