Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think this performance should dispel the myth that LVG stifles his players.

That's a bit of a leap. Remember Utd started this game behind, not level as in most games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

RobertKK wrote: »
    Memphis was like Ronaldo tonight.

Well you can shut up about Neymar anyways :P

http://www.espnfc.com/barcelona/story/2815259/neymar-has-new-5-year-barcelona-deal-report

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think this performance should dispel the myth that LVG stifles his players. These are kids who played for playing sake. Chased and won everything and had no fear. Kids who you'd expect would be under a tighter leash. It just goes to show that our star players have actually just been ****.

Or the kids haven't had time to be stifled by first team management...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I think this performance should dispel the myth that LVG stifles his players. These are kids who played for playing sake. Chased and won everything and had no fear. Kids who you'd expect would be under a tighter leash. It just goes to show that our star players have actually just been ****.

Could go the other way. That they don't know any different and haven't been drilled with playing patterns and positions during transitions etc. Or it could just be that midtjylland are a bit ****

Basically, tonight tells us **** all about hi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

https://www.riffsy.com/view/caption/ncpx9wv69N5J

Dunno how too embed lads any help welcomed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

F**k Ronaldo, Bale, Neymar, Messi

We got Memphis!!!! :D

• Horny? We were sure up for that!

I shall now remove the boo from kew

Your now officially The_Horny_Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

MrMac84 wrote: »

raw

Always here to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Prepare for an avalanche of Kate Upton gifs.

I'm ****ing delighted with that result. Session on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

MrMac84 wrote: »

raw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Scholes looks like he is freezing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Could go the other way. That they don't know any different and haven't been drilled with playing patterns and positions during transitions etc. Or it could just be that midtjylland are a bit ****

Basically, tonight tells us **** all about hi.

What we know is that LVG has no fear about putting young players into the side. And its paid off for him tonight. The pendulum has probably swung too far for him in that he gets zero credit for victories or good calls, but he didn't try to shoehorn Rojo as a striker tonight. He trusted Rashford, a youth player and got two goals as a result.

I don't think LVG has been successful enough to keep his job past the summer, but he deserves to be successful.

Double dutch in the interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I shall now remove the boo from kew

Your now officially The_Horny_Tour

Accepted :pac:

Prepare for an avalanche of Kate Upton gifs.

I'm ****ing delighted with that result. Session on.

What's a Kate Upton gif?? Homer, you missed nothing at all here tonight. Enjoy the session.

Kate Upton gifs and Memphis' ridiculous nutmeg gifs all night please!!! :P:P:P

If only we had Welbeck... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Memphis was brilliant. His game by numbers:
    Dribbles: 15
    Chances created: 2
    Goals: 1

He also won penalty.

Impressed with Rashford, Riley, Varela. Schneiderlin was a machine and Lingard was atrocious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

stankratz wrote: »
    What's a Kate Upton gif?? Homer, you missed nothing at all here tonight. Enjoy the session.

Oh I'm getting locked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Sand wrote: »
    What we know is that LVG has no fear about putting young players into the side. And its paid off for him tonight. The pendulum has probably swung too far for him in that he gets zero credit for victories or good calls, but he didn't try to shoehorn Rojo as a striker tonight. He trusted Rashford, a youth player and got two goals as a result.

I don't think LVG has been successful enough to keep his job past the summer, but he deserves to be successful.

No no no no no no no.

He didn't choose to put in them players he had no choice because he failed to backup the team sufficiently, its great that rashford did so well bit he wouldn't of been on bench only for rooney and will kean are injured.
    Reiley wouldnt be in team only for Shaw and cbj were injured.
    Cbj wouldnt be a regular only for Shaw is injured.

The only player you could say he showed faith in from the youths is jessie and he is 23 the rest are all last choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Did you ever wonder..........ah **** it.

Young lads acquitted themselves well in this exit to inferior opposition, if a bit of the desire and passion could rub off the more senior members that would be nice.

I'm getting pretty good with this reverse jinxing stuff if I do say so myself :)

Your welcome gents (and ladies)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Sand wrote: »

He had very little choice tonight but to put out the team he did. I do agree that he gives youth a decent chance, but tonight was as much necessity being the mother of invention than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

stankratz wrote: »

giphy.gif

jayo26 wrote: »
    No no no no no no no.

He didn't choose to put in them players he had no choice because he failed to backup the team sufficiently, its great that rashford did so well bit he wouldn't of been on bench only for rooney and will kean are injured.
    Reiley wouldnt be in team only for Shaw and cbj were injured.
    Cbj wouldnt be a regular only for Shaw is injured.

The only player you could say he showed faith on from the youths is jessie and he is 23 the rest are all last choice.

Isn't it assumed that with going with a small senior squad like LVG prefers that you are going to have to turn to the youth setup through the season?

I'm not saying its wise, but LVG didn't really get worried about having to turn to the youth setup during the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Can we go mental. **** it I'm getting 2 snack boxes right now:pac:

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Memphis was brilliant. His game by numbers:
    Dribbles: 15
    Chances created: 2
    Goals: 1

He also won penalty.

Impressed with Rashford, Riley, Varela. Schneiderlin was a machine and Lingard was atrocious.

I'm still not getting the Schneiderlin love to be honest. He was decent again tonight, nothing more IMO and I also think Jessie is getting a bit too much criticism.

Opinions eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Gifs and jokes aside, that's the most memorable United performance of the last few years.

I know it was poor opposition and all that but we were 2 goals down at one point.

We didn't lose the heads, the kids were just brilliant.

Rashford and Memphis will get a lot of the plaudits but Varela (sp) looks like he has what it takes to be a star.

In the midst of the worst injury crisis I can remember, the young lads went out and fought their way back and got their just desserts.

It rubber stamps what many of us know, when you have players coming through the academy they will give blood, sweat and tears for the club because they have grown to love it from a young age, same as we have.

No amount of spending can buy heart like that.

Thoroughly chuffed with that and I'd love to see the same / similar team given a crack at the gunners on Sunday, we have absolutely nothing to lose.

• What get's me excited is the fact that Rashford has grabbed this opportunity by the throat.
    An area where we are left totally exposed when Rooney got injured now looks like an avenue for the youth strikers to break into the team.
    Would love to see him earn a start against Arsenal and dare I say alongside Martial if he's fit of course.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Wham, bam, what the fcuk just happened.

You can't really have it both ways though, he likes a small squad so he knows that he may end up relying on young players, like tonight.

So it is his choice to take that risk, tonight it paid off for him as the young lads came up trumps. It has not worked out overall though I would say to leave the squad so short of quality back up in certain areas.

He chose to leave the squad in a place where if a couple of strikers were unavailable for any reason he would be dipping in to youth, he didn't take the easier option of putting Memphis up top and playing Perreira (another youngster who should be getting a few more chances), something that was called for at kick off I remember. He choose to put faith in the young lad and fair play to Rashford he has paid him back in spades.

He has to take the criticism when the small squad hurts us, so he should be allowed some praise when it goes the other way.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Can we go mental. **** it I'm getting 2 snack boxes right now:pac:

I hope by that you mean 8 fosters not 4 bits of chicken ha

Anyone else think if Martial is fit to play Arsenal, drop Lingard and play Memphis and Martial on the wings and Rashford up front.

Would be some attack

So wonder what the Jose story will be tomorrow? Enrolled his kids in a new school? Spotted shopping for red scarfs? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

That was fun. It's as simple as that. Most of us won't be reading too much into it, but it was good to have some fun watching the team tonight.

I was going to ask do any of you know if United could be drawn against the English teams in the next round, but googled it instead. The answer is yes they can, there's no restrictions or seeding. The draw starts at 1pm tomorrow.

Teams, dates and times for future rounds here...

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/when-is-the-europa-league-draw-date-time-team-list-and-live-coverage-of-the-round-of-16-draw-a3189181.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote:
    Mars Bar said go for it

Mars Bar started it

For me she's head and shoulders above Kate

Teams going into the pot tomorrow. No seeding or separation by nation.
    ©Getty Images for UEFA
    Teams in the draw tbc
    Athletic Club (ESP)
    Sevilla (ESP)
    Valencia (ESP)
    Villarreal (ESP)
    Liverpool (ENG)
    Manchester United (ENG)
    Tottenham (ENG)
    Dortmund (GER)
    Leverkusen (GER)
    Braga (POR)
    Sparta Praha (CZE)
    Lazio (ITA)
    Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
    Fenerbahçe (TUR)
    Basel (SUI)
    Olympiacos (GRE)/Anderlecht (BEL)

You can't really have it both ways though, he likes a small squad so he knows that he may end up relying on young players, like tonight.

So it is his choice to take that risk, tonight it paid off for him as the young lads came up trumps. It has not worked out overall though I would say to leave the squad so short of quality back up in certain areas.

He chose to leave the squad in a place where if a couple of strikers were unavailable for any reason he would be dipping in to youth, he didn't take the easier option of putting Memphis up top and playing Perreira (another youngster who should be getting a few more chances), something that was called for at kick off I remember. He choose to put faith in the young lad and fair play to Rashford he has paid him back in spades.

Yep, agreed. Though as I said earlier, the narrative on LVG has shifted so much since November that he no longer will get credit for making good calls like playing Rashford.

• I have a feeling half-time talk included displaying the Boards Man Utd thread on the projector
    Came out the tunnels with raging stiffys

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What get's me excited is the fact that Rashford has grabbed this opportunity by the throat.
    An area where we are left totally exposed when Rooney got injured now looks like an avenue for the youth strikers to break into the team.
    Would love to see him earn a start against Arsenal and dare I say alongside Martial if he's fit of course.

Was thinking the same, Rashford along with Martial upfront.

• Advertisement

Oh I'm getting locked.

So is this thread once the mods review it :pac:

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    ©Getty Images for UEFA
    Teams in the draw tbc
    Athletic Club (ESP)
    Sevilla (ESP)
    Valencia (ESP)
    Villarreal (ESP)
    Liverpool (ENG)
    Manchester United (ENG)
    Tottenham (ENG)
    Dortmund (GER)
    Leverkusen (GER)
    Braga (POR)
    Sparta Praha (CZE)
    Lazio (ITA)
    Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
    Fenerbahçe (TUR)
    Basel (SUI)

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lord TSC wrote: »
    ©Getty Images for UEFA
    Teams in the draw tbc
    Athletic Club (ESP)
    Sevilla (ESP)
    Valencia (ESP)
    Villarreal (ESP)
    Liverpool (ENG)
    Manchester United (ENG)
    Tottenham (ENG)
    Dortmund (GER)
    Leverkusen (GER)
    Braga (POR)
    Sparta Praha (CZE)
    Lazio (ITA)
    Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
    Fenerbahçe (TUR)
    Basel (SUI)

No easy games left there.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    ©Getty Images for UEFA
    Teams in the draw tbc
    Athletic Club (ESP)
    Sevilla (ESP)
    Valencia (ESP)
    Villarreal (ESP)
    Liverpool (ENG)
    Manchester United (ENG)
    Tottenham (ENG)
    Dortmund (GER)
    Leverkusen (GER)
    Braga (POR)
    Sparta Praha (CZE)
    Lazio (ITA)
    Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
    Fenerbahçe (TUR)
    Basel (SUI)

That's not terribly unlike a Champions League draw minus 2/3 teams. Some real pedigree in that.

Given his record against them, as in 100% I want Liverpool in the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I wonder how Will Keane, or indeed James Wilson, were feeling watching that !

Anyone else think if Martial is fit to play Arsenal, drop Lingard and play Memphis and Martial on the wings and Rashford up front.

Would be some attack

Nah I'd have Martial up front with Memphis and Lingard wide.

Not trying to be a party pooper but a bit of perspective is needed about the opposition tonight. I wouldn't use it as a yard stick for anything when it comes to the premier league.

It's great to see that there's some promise there in those young lads and they did themselves proud tonight but there is no way "new" players should be considered for the starting line up against Arsenal based on a performance tonight.

Also puts in to perspective how utterly gutless the "senior" players were this day last week.

Liverpool, Valencia and Dortmund would be a great match up, maybe not in terms of progressing but in terms of entertainment and build up, it is my pick.

This Europa thing isn't as bad as I thought it was.:pac:

I thoroughly enjoyed tonight and I hope we can carry this positive energy and confident style of play to the PL and all our remaining games

I wonder how Will Keane, or indeed James Wilson, were feeling watching that !

Will Keane especially must feel as sick as a dog. Wilson had chances.

• Advertisement

I'd consider Rashford if Martial is out because his pace and trickery would be a nightmare for Mert, other then that I agree with your point though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement