Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

astradave wrote: »
    He also brought up DeGea wanting to leave and blamed the Girlfriend, while she was sitting there.. and this was while he was presenting him with his award.. he's a ****ing nut job

I thought he crossed the line there, he didn't need to say anything about Madrid.

Im very surprised that Martial doesn't speak any english

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

adox wrote: »
    How so?

No way he will be in charge next season.

The confidence and the fact he is still in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Strumms wrote: »
    who was yer man in this thread again that had a habit of shouting anyone down when suggested that Leicester would or could win the league and or finish above United ? All I remember is that he used to quote himself when addressing the subject quite a lot ?

If by anyone you mean Bangkok when he was refusing to understand a point I was making, that would be me.

I said Leicester would not be the reason we would or would not be missing out on top 4, because Leicester would not be finishing in the top 4.

That was a response to Bangkok, which I had to repeat, quite often in its shortened version "Leicester will not be finishing top 4", it was not some grand statement of fact that I was shouting from the rafters. It was an opinion, given in response to the claim that it would be Leicester taking our spot in the top 4 this season.

I never mind being wrong about something, but I'd rather not have the situation be misconstrued.

I am absolutely delighted for Leicester for the record. That has not changed either, can not believe they saw the job out and they deserve every plaudit that is going to come their way!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I thought he crossed the line there, he didn't need to say anything about Madrid.

He might have a bit of English he just not confident enough with it to do it on a stage. Crikey valencia hasn't a note of English thats just shameful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

What was the guy from the crowd shouting when LVG was talking?

Don't know but it sounded a bit like Andy Tate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

De Gea has now won the Fans' POTY three years in a row.

As awesome as he is, thats crazy when you think about it. How often do goalkeepers win that award at a top club, let alone thrice in a row. It speaks volumes about our offensive capabilities...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Was Hayley McQueen presenting it again this year ?

astradave wrote: »
    He also brought up DeGea wanting to leave and blamed the Girlfriend, while she was sitting there.. and this was while he was presenting him with his award.. he's a ****ing nut job

Ah cmon he didn't blame nobody. He was just emphasizing his admiration for De Gea for sticking with the group and putting in the performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Give Fergie the mic and let him right the wrongs, happy with a top 4 finish is a dangerous precedent to set

Arsenal got into that mindset and can't get out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

He's better off not knowing what he is being told to do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lord TSC wrote: »
    De Gea has now won the Fans' POTY three years in a row.

As awesome as he is, thats crazy when you think about it. How often do goalkeepers win that award at a top club, let alone thrice in a row. It speaks volumes about our offensive capabilities...
    When your aim is to be a 4th place side it's probably a viable strategy to just focus on defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

His English is better than he lets on.

• Only caught a small bit of the speech...

Was Fegie / Bobby / Woody in attendance?

Surely that's that. Cannot be saying for people to lower expectations in a year where a club at the bottom of the league a year ago are now PL Champions.

That sort of mentality filters down FS

• Also wanted to mention this,

Kasper Schmeichel as a viable replacement if De Neo leaves in the summer??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Had a look on the Google Machine for unlikely players with a premiership winners medal after Leicester's staggering triumph.

Claudio and the lads join such luminaries as

Jeff Kenna
    Pascal Cygan
    Luke Chadwick
    Not Luis Suarez
    Anderson
    Jeremie Aliadiere
    Ronnie Wallwork
    Jordi Cruyff
    Luis Boa More
    Not Steven Gerrard
    Alexey Smertin
    Darren Ferguson
    Remi Garde
    Not Jamie Carragher
    Alex Buttner
    Jack Rodwell
    And best of all, Michael Owen.

Ell

Oh

Ell

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

3B5C9AC6-A15E-403C-830D-4ED6340826DA_zpstwq6fwgf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Kasper was born before Liverpool's last title win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Kasper was born before Liverpool's last title win.

Not the PL dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Can anyone tell me why when Leicester won the league Sky had jamie carragher on air talking about what a feeling winning a league is and about how such a special Bond now exists and that in 30 years they'll still have that bond, can I ask one question.......... How the hell does he know? He's never won a league!!

• Advertisement

Stay classy

He fell over ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

He fell over ffs

Looks like he was shoved over to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

He fell over ffs

People are going on like a Spurs player grabbed him and fired him onto the ground. He got caught up in a tussle, there was nothing malicious towards him personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Heard this late last night after a game of ball, absolutely delighted for them. It's just a fantastic achievement.

Spurs may of lost the run of themselves last night who could blame them to an extent im sure they will feel sorry today but of all people talking about staying classy chelsea can't complain they are one of the most classless clubs going with Diego Costa and the list could go on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

M!Ck^ wrote: »

That sort of mentality filters down FS

This is it, really. It instills a sense in the players that we did well this season. There they are, sitting at an awards celebration with their manager saying the fans should accept this was a good season. The message it sends the players is to keep doing what they are doing, cause the manager is ok with it :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ChfSOVuWMAIUhhf.jpg

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    This is it, really. It instills a sense in the players that we did well this season. There they are, sitting at an awards celebration with their manager saying the fans should accept this was a good season. The message it sends the players is to keep doing what they are doing, cause the manager is ok with it :/

Exactly

What I'm saying also is that the board as well as Fergie and Bobby surely can't be thinking the same thing

Put and end to this ffs

*Edit* Link to the article

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/louis-van-gaal-expectations-are-too-high-at-old-trafford-1.2633200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Imagine saying that on the very day that Leicester City win the f*cking league. I can't get over the gall of it. Sack him for feck sake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Guess who's back, back again
    Shady's Bangkoks back, tell a friend
    Guess who's back,
    guess who's back,
    guess who's back,
    guess who's back
    guess who's back
    Guess who's back...

• bangkok wrote: »
    Guess who's back,
    guess who's back,
    guess who's back,
    guess who's back
    guess who's back
    Guess who's back...

3 match ban for you

Hope huth gets the same though as he deserves it also

I supported you all the way dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    Guess who's back,
    guess who's back,
    guess who's back,
    guess who's back
    guess who's back
    Guess who's back...

Amazing how you disappear while Fellaini is playing well so can't criticise him and then show up when he does something.. amazing.. your like Harry Houdini

I don't know what rock I've been living under but I only just heard LVG's 'sex masochism' comments from the other day :eek::D:pac:

Say what you want about him and rightfully most of us are hoping to see him gone from the club this Summer, but that was funny even if he was dead serious when he said it.

In fairness he has given me some serious laughs during his tenure at the club, problem is that he has also given rival fans some serious laughs also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

bangkok wrote: »
    Guess who's back,
    guess who's back,
    guess who's back,
    guess who's back
    guess who's back
    Guess who's back...

Very inconsistent use of commas and capitalisation.

4/10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

stankratz wrote: »
    I don't know what rock I've been living under but I only just heard LVG's 'sex masochism' comments from the other day :eek::D:pac:

Say what you want about him and rightfully most of us are hoping to see him gone from the club this Summer, but that was funny even if he was dead serious when he said it.

In fairness he has given me some serious laughs during his tenure at the club, problem is that he has also given rival fans some serious laughs also.

As a character I love him. He comes out with some mental statements. Just a shame the football isn't as entertaining.

• Advertisement

LVG probably spent more in 2 seasons than Leicester did in their entire history.

Peter Schmeichel won his first EPL medal on May 2 as did his son Kasper.

zerks wrote: »
    LVG probably spent more in 2 seasons than Leicester did in their entire history.

We'll see how well Leicester do when they go into their transitional stage.

We'll see how well Leicester do when they go into their transitional stage.

LVG probably hates their counter attacking philosophy and having less possession than the teams they play against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

zerks wrote: »

You could throw a few more teams in there with us. It's more of a compliment to Leicester than a criticism of United.

• Advertisement

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jose-mourinho-to-manchester-united-manager-wants-assurances-before-making-old-trafford-move-a7011141.html
    The Telegraph report today that before joining Manchester United - should the club wish to appoint him - Mourinho wants assurances about the stability at the top of the club. The self-styled Special One wants to be sure the structure is already in place for him to succeed at Old Trafford. Basing a decision on the club's former glories will not be enough.

That last sentence is telling,we are not Liverpool who feel a divine right to win titles based on what happened nearly 3 decades ago.Plus we cannot appoint somebody with shag all experience ala Giggs on the basis of him being at the club since he was a kid.After 2 rubbish managerial reigns we need a proven winner to take the club forward,not stagnate or regress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

So is everyone still confident LVG will be a goner at end of the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Nope - I don't think Woodward is capable of making a progressive football decision. He'll dither over it for a while and then let LVG have his third season, consigning United to 4th place at best again.

If LVG is still United manager next season we may as well just give up on United being a top club under the current Woodward/Glazer regime.

I'm not. The same reasons for sacking him now applied 6 months ago and it wasn't done, so who is to say the board will do the right thing now when they didn't 6 months ago? I also would be very surprised if Mourinho would let the likes of Woodward dick him around like this, would he really sit sucking his thumb waiting 6 months for Woodward to give him a call? Doesn't feel right to me.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I have a feeling the board are going to double down on this loser. Its beyond depressing.

Agree with the two of you guys as well, Im ery skeptical that there will be a change, its the obvious thing to do and would boost everyone but think it will be LVG again next year and another boring year of football! Really hope im wrong.

Not at all. Woodward doesn't have the balls.

I'm interested though to see where else Jose might end up if the United job doesn't work out. He's said himself he has multiple offers and is confident of being back by July

LVG at United in quotes:

May 19 2014: “It was always a wish for me to work in the Premier League. To work as a manager for Manchester United, the biggest club in the world, makes me very proud. I have managed in games at Old Trafford before and know what an incredible arena Old Trafford is and how passionate and knowledgeable the fans are. This club has big ambitions; I too have big ambitions. Together I’m sure we will make history.”

August 24 2014: “To win the title this season would be a miracle. But that isn’t to say that it isn’t possible.”

September 12 2014: “Yes, it is possible [winning the Premier League this season]. This is because we have to play a lot matches and we are not so much behind.

“We have spoken about the target when we [Van Gaal and Woodward] had the meetings together. A club like Manchester United needs to put targets and I also put targets. I don’t think it is unreasonable target [to finish in the top three].

“Whether it is difficult is another question, but a club like United must always put a target. Within the top three is logical because United always want to be in the Champions League. But we have to produce results, starting on Sunday against QPR.”

September 15 2014: “I want to win the Premier League title. If it is not this year then the second or third year. I want to give a championship to the fans.”

September 29 2014: “Because I do know now I’ve ‘enticed’ (provoked) you. I learnt that word off Mr Ryan Giggs. But he is so modest, so normal, and he is such a great star [APPLAUSE]. No, no, no, you have to listen. Because he is the star of the evening and really deserves that and I am convinced that you are – how do you call it in English? – ‘Ok, this Van Gaal is over, he (Giggs) is the man!’ [LOUD CHEERS].”

November 7 2014: “It is a process. [In] all my press conferences I am always saying the same but with other words. I cannot say when the results are coming. When I did it with Bayern Munich it was 8 December but it could be 1 February here, but it doesn’t matter because it is a three-year process. I have signed for three years.”

December 25 2014: “The best achievement is to be champions because our goal is still to be champions at the end of the season, that’s also the best result.

“We are looking in a football world where No.1 is the most important thing. Our goal is to be first. But it’s not always so easy, you can see that.

“That’s why the board have said that our goal is within the first four places. But with my players and all the staff, we are trying to achieve more than they expect from us.”

19 March 2015: “It is an honour and a challenge to be coach of United because I was trainer-coach of No 1 (team) in the Netherlands, No 1 in Spain and No 1 in Germany. I had a choice to be manager of different clubs (like Spurs). I have chosen the No 1. I am very proud. I don’t think there are many other coaches who can say that.

“We were in the USA and we played against Real Madrid, Liverpool, Roma, Inter Milan and LA Galaxy, five matches in three weeks, 300,000 fans and I think 280,000 of them in a red shirt. I know that Manchester United is the biggest club of the world.”

March 20 2015: “I am old. This is my last job. For sure.”

March 22 2015: “It can still be five years, I can extend my contract. I have promised my wife but you never know. What I have said before, you always have to be in the situation and then you can decide.

“Now I am in the situation where I have signed for three years because in three years’ time you can build up something. They (the club) would agree with that.I don’t know how I shall react in the circumstances when Manchester United ask me extend, and if I shall do that. But this is my last club.”

April 16 2015: “When you win, third place is reachable. A month ago nobody was thinking that, beside me, of course. That is good because then we have done better than the goal we set in pre-season.”

May 1 2015: “The board of Manchester United have given me three years for that objective (winning the title). This year we have not challenged but we are very close to second and third. Chelsea are far above but next year is different. Next year it will be a different squad but so will all the other teams like Chelsea, Liverpool Arsenal and City and all the others will be different. But you have seen our matches against the top clubs and there is not a big gap.”

2015/16 pre-season notes to supporters: ”My first season at the club was a step forward because we finished fourth and returned to European football. The aim always has to be to improve. None of us will be happy to finish in the fourth position every year, so we must continue to get better.”

van-gaal-breaking-expectations

August 25 2015: “They were still younger at that time as we won the final with 18 and 19-year-olds. We have players like Michael Carrick and Bastian Schweinsteiger and at that time it was Frank Rijkaard and Danny Blind who were above the 30-year mark. I believe in the mix. Yes, I believe we can win the Champions League and I believe more in the mix of ages than players only from 27 to 34.”

September 11 2015: “The fans are shouting every week, “Louis van Gaal‘s army! Louis van Gaal‘s army!”, so also the fans are very satisfied with Louis van Gaal and my players are also satisfied with me.”

November 3 2015: “Of course I heard that [boos], I’m not deaf. That’s the opinion of the fans but afterwards they shall not be disappointed.”

December 8 2015: “When you see the facts, we went further in the Capital One Cup (than last season) and qualified for the Champions League group stage.”

December 23 2015: “That was my fault [injury crisis]. I was training them harder but they were not used to training like that.

“Because I am convinced you have to train now they are used to that step. I also let go players because of that and I bought new players. I think they are more used to my training sessions. You can see that with the new players. You can see which players are always injured.

“In my career I never had injuries like that [last year]. I have always preferred small squads. I think I have the smallest squad in the Premier League. You always have to train but with structure and not too hard.”

December 26 2015: “It is not always that the club has to sack me. Sometimes I do it by myself. I don’t have to say whether I am considering that but it is something I have said before.

“But I am the one who wants to speak first with the board, the members of staff and my players – and not with you. I can also quit by myself but that is something I speak about with Ed Woodward by himself. I don’t have to say that to the media. It is not like that in the football world.”

February 5 2016: “We have the feeling [that we can still win the title] because we have won twice in a row with sparkling football, scored six goals, only one conceded and against opponents who were in great form – Stoke had played Liverpool off the pitch a week before they played us.

February 11 2016: “When you give your fellow employees attention for what they are doing for us, it makes a difference. I am empathetic to the job and I want to be a human being where I work.

“Sometimes players are very fed up with my communication, but that’s what I do and they know how I think. But they know I am very transparent.”

April 21 2016: “We are in the semi-final of the FA Cup and are in the race for fourth position and that was our aim.”

May 2 2016: “When the media is writing for six months I am sacked already… I can cope with that. It is not new for me. For my players, it is not so easy.

“They are reading every day. What do you think about my authority? What do you think about the way they want to follow my advice, when their coach is showed like a nobody because I cannot do anything?

“But I am not like that. I am very arrogant. I am one of the best managers of the world.”

May 2 2016: “We have to meet the expectations of the biggest club in the world. Expectations are too high. We are in a period of transition. It is not so easy.”

http://thepeoplesperson.com/2016/05/03/louis-van-gaal-in-quotes-may-2014-may-2016-great-expectations-148199/

Martin Tyler mentioned that Kante had a release clause during the game on Sunday but didnt state the amount, reports now thats its just 20.5m GBP, bargain..

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/tottenham-favourites-for-26m-midfielder-ahead-of-unconvincing-lon

• So is everyone still confident LVG will be a goner at end of the season?

Nope, have posted it a few times but I have always expected him to return for another year. Lads building up hope on media rumors when the club have been silent for months now have only themselves to blame (no offence)

Quotes like last nights crap though would just piss you right off

If change is wanted alot more drastic stuff will need to happen, protests from supporters, supporters clubs and shareholders.
    All the complaining going on on social media etc and yet every home game I see people look content, bored maybe but nothing that screams "absolutely sick of LVG"
    Please note: I haven't been to a home game since April 2015 due to family priorities but I will be going over next season so hard for me to fully stand behind the above comment but still it's the feeling I get.

I would be more worried of turning into Arsenal 2.0
    Years and years of scrapping for top 4 without challenging for the PL / CL

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Nope, have posted it a few times but I have always expected him to return for another year. Lads building up hope on media rumors when the club have been silent for months now have only themselves to blame (no offence)

Quotes like last nights crap though would just piss you right off

If change is wanted alot more drastic stuff will need to happen, protests from supporters, supporters clubs and shareholders.
    All the complaining going on on social media etc and yet every home game I see people look content, bored maybe but nothing that screams "absolutely sick of LVG"
    Please note: I haven't been to a home game since April 2015 due to family priorities but I will be going over next season so hard for me to fully stand behind the above comment but still it's the feeling I get.

I would be more worried of turning into Arsenal 2.0
    Years and years of scrapping for top 4 without challenging for the PL / CL

I was at the Everton game and despite the show put on for Bobby Charlton,the atmosphere was just flat.Everton were there to be taken to the cleaners but United were so one dimensional in their play after a decent 20 minutes everyone was bored.This sums up 99.9% of this season,one which was meant to kick on from last years transition.The running joke was that the football was the only downer on a great weekend in Manchester.
    What really pisses me off is the fans clamouring for high fives etc. with LVG as he walks along pitchside despite them having witnessed borefest after borefest.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement