Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Liam O wrote: »
    Really like this years white one, been doing well with that colour for years now.

Wonder why the one above is different to all the other Adidas templates coming out now though...

Its not too dissimilar to this one:
    feced3a8b63b74d6a7b85786cbcdf192.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

The black jersey is the nicest shirt we have had in years imo

I also like the black jersey from a few years ago, the AIG one with the red stripe up the back.

its in the wardrobe now hanging up enjoying the retired life. Anderson 8 on the back aswell

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I also like the black jersey from a few years ago, the AIG one with the red stripe up the back.

its in the wardrobe now hanging up enjoying the retired life. Anderson 8 on the back aswell

The last jerseys I've gotten with names on the back are Owen, Obertan, Kagawa and Memphis... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Julez wrote: »
    The last jerseys I've gotten with names on the back are Owen, Obertan, Kagawa and Memphis... :o

Can you get one with VanGaal on it? Pleeease😬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Fairly rank effort, looks like the hope of Adidas finally bringing back decent looking jerseys to United is already over.

• Advertisement

• sky88 wrote: »
    Would love to see what simeone does with money behind him. Is there not rumors a alethico director is coming to united. Slight chance he could get deigo to come but i really cant see it plus i dont think he has any English at all.

On Jose style of play hes not as defensive as everyone says he has had his teams playing good attacking football especally madrid when they won the league. Granted i dont want Jose but thats more to do with all the extra stuff he brings and the fact i think itll blow up in his 2nd season.

Plus uniteds style of play has been bad for longer then LVG and moyes last few years of fergies weren't great either.

Source for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

sky88 wrote: »
    Would love to see what simeone does with money behind him. Is there not rumors a alethico director is coming to united. Slight chance he could get deigo to come but i really cant see it plus i dont think he has any English at all.

On Jose style of play hes not as defensive as everyone says he has had his teams playing good attacking football especally madrid when they won the league. Granted i dont want Jose but thats more to do with all the extra stuff he brings and the fact i think itll blow up in his 2nd season.

Plus uniteds style of play has been bad for longer then LVG and moyes last few years of fergies weren't great either.

Haven't heard anything about this. But I wouldn't be too giddy about the thought anyway, Atletico Madrid aren't exactly a shining example of how to run a football club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Source for this?

Just google it yourself - Man United and Berta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Source for this?

I actually thought i seen it in here.

a quick google brought up this article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/03/21/jose-mourinho-wants-atletico-technical-director-at-man-utd/

so really all just speculation

• Just google it yourself - Man United and Berta.

Cheers :/

• Advertisement

Iv got a Di Maria :(

What possessed you to get an Obertan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Source for this?

I think it's Beltra,that story has been doing the rounds for a while now,Jose apparently wants him there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The last I head on Berta was that he was set to make a decision round Easter. IF there was any truth to it though (big IF), then we won't hear about it till season's end; announcing it now would be as good as saying Jose was coming in, since the story was Jose wanted him. (That also links to the stories this week that Jose is insisting on well-defined structures to be put in place should he join United).

Iv got a Di Maria :(

What possessed you to get an Obertan?

This:

https://youtu.be/olbtG1gXq4M?t=29s

To be fair my brother called me around xmas and said he was buying me a jersey who did I want on it, I panicked, ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The local press in London are back with the story of West Ham wanting Smalling.I wonder if it's Mike or Chris?

This:

https://youtu.be/olbtG1gXq4M?t=29s

To be fair my brother called me around xmas and said he was buying me a jersey who did I want on it, I panicked, ha

That has to go down as 1 of our ugliest kits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Laporte off to city by the looks of it

bangkok wrote: »
    Laporte off to city by the looks of it

Didnt he break his leg recently?

Didnt he break his leg recently?

yea but it should be back by next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Noticed Gozte has lost his place in the Munich XI and wants out of club apparently... would be a tasty buy for United imo. Get Uncle Bastian to have a few good words with him ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Agree with the rest of your post, but disagree with this line.

The romantic view of "the United way" began when Fergie left.

Fergie was a "win at all costs" manager. He would play "attractive" football when he could, but was more than capable of playing boring when he had to. He gave kids chances but only once the older players were solid as a foundation, and often chose senior players out of position over kids (Rafael over Pogba springs to mind).

The primary goal under Fergie was to win, no matter what. "The United Way" is something that has been created and romanticized by those looking to excuse the mistakes made since he left, and by people wanting to shift priorities because some are harder to achieve than others.

Jose Mourinho is probably the closest you will ever get to Fergie in the modern game. He might not tick the "Long term" box on the sheet, but he ticks nearly every other box in the comparison.

Thats a brilliant post. This United way myth is total bull****. The United Way was Ferguson winning. Simply end of.

He tried other things that didn't work, he tried some things that did work. the thing that kept working, and kept him winning, was it.

Lets not kid ourselves for a minute looking back to some myth that never existed. We had one of the greatest managers of all time. He was the key, not the system (which frequently failed in Europe) or anything else. Him.

That is never going to be replicated. There is no template to drop onto the club that will be a carbon copy of "The United way".

If a manager comes in next season and wins the title, or Van Gaal wins the title, can assure you the vast majority won't give a bollox how its done.

Strumms wrote: »
    Speaking of cheats.... Looking at Lewandowski here tonight. Some really disgraceful stuff. Superb talent but a scumbag of a player, awful cheater....

He has pretty much always been like that. There appeared to be great shock when we played Poland about his carry on, but he is a notorious diver and cheat, pretty much always has been in the years I've seen him.

In the first half of their last PL winning season Chelsea played some lovely attacking football.

IIRC dont Jose's Madrid hold the record for most goals scored in a single season too?

Inter under him played lovely attacking football by times.

The small bit of Porto I saw under him wasnt exactly park the bus stuff either.

So to say his teams dont play attacking football is wrong, plain and simple.

They may not play it all the time but with the exception of Barca, what team does?

Conversations about Mourinho seem to always forget the context of the jobs he took. I made the same mistake previously when he was in the running with Moyes.

I didn't appreciate the objectives he was tasked with, and what it requires to do it.

He is consistently tasked with winning a league or CL, and basically re-affirming a team as a dominant force. So it's no surprise he wouldn't trust youth, and imprints the tactics and stuff he has been succesfull with before.

I posted this before.

If Mourinho takes over and is tasked with just being competitive and nurturing talent to have a title crack in his third year, then yeah you will see a different Mourinho experimenting and managing expectations. But that requires fans adjusting also, which I'm not sure we/they can

If Mourinho is tasked with winning the league ASAP, you can expect a large transfer splurge(I think he is excellent at acquiring players he knows will work) and you can expect youth players to sit in the cold.

We can't and the club can't, have it both ways. The objectives tasked to Mourinho will dictate what we get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Noticed Gozte has lost his place in the Munich XI and wants out of club apparently... would be a tasty buy for United imo. Get Uncle Bastian to have a few good words with him ;)

He's going back to Dortmund in a cash and part exchange with Hummels apparently.

watching Muller again last night v Greizemann its a no brainer who I would prefer to see in a United shirt. Muller was non existent again in a big game. Seem him live a few times and on the tv a lot and have never been overly impressed with him, don't know how he is "worth" 70m

The two are drastically different in what they do. Muller is an absolute phenomenon. We would be absolutely blessed to have him at United.

He is pretty unconventional but his benefit and what he does is simply unquestionable.

I can't fathom how anyone underestimates him or is failed to be impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

TheDoc wrote: »
    Thats a brilliant post. This United way myth is total bull****. The United Way was Ferguson winning. Simply end of.

He tried other things that didn't work, he tried some things that did work. the thing that kept working, and kept him winning, was it.

Lets not kid ourselves for a minute looking back to some myth that never existed. We had one of the greatest managers of all time. He was the key, not the system (which frequently failed in Europe) or anything else. Him.

That is never going to be replicated. There is no template to drop onto the club that will be a carbon copy of "The United way".

If a manager comes in next season and wins the title, or Van Gaal wins the title, can assure you the vast majority won't give a bollox how its done.

In many ways this is correct. Once upon a time the 'United Way' was supposed to be two wingers with two up top. When Quieroz came in and between him and Fergie wanted to change our formation to a 4-3-3 (resembled a 4-5-1 early on), there was a lot of resistance from the fans and crowd - I remember them being booed off the field at half time against Blackburn (I think) and "4-4-2" being chanted. The change in formation was the reason why we ended up being so successful a couple of years later because it was clear that we'd get murdered by teams playing with a 2 man midfield against the top sides in Europe.

An argument could be made that being attacking minded is the United Way too, but that's a prerequisite any manager should have in the majority of games United play. However the last two managers have done little to work on attacking patterns and to a large degree went out not to lose in games or concede.

Winning is the United Way as you say Doc. It's funny that despite his side playing some of the best football any United side have ever played before Fergie arrived, nobody remembers Ron Atkinson for playing the 'United Way' - and it's purely down to results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

emmetkenny wrote: »
    He's going back to Dortmund in a cash and part exchange with Hummels apparently.

Will that work, would Dortmund fans be that forgiving?

The two are drastically different in what they do. Muller is an absolute phenomenon. We would be absolutely blessed to have him at United.

He is pretty unconventional but his benefit and what he does is simply unquestionable.

I can't fathom how anyone underestimates him or is failed to be impressed.

where would you play him if he were to sign for us? At 70m there are much better players that you could sign and would be cheaper as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hococop wrote: »
    Will that work, would Dortmund fans be that forgiving?

I'd say the vast majority of them would take him back in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Actually saw something last night that sort of annoyed me, showed a pic of Diego saying defensive masterclass, weird how him and Jose are treated polar opposite,

Diego plays a defensive game its a wonder class in defending, when its Jose its parking the bus

When Diego is screaming running around the sideline and when he slapped that guy on the back yesterday people say it shows passion and desire
    Yet when jose does does it, people try to say its dirty tactics and people want to hang him,

• Please be true, please be true, please be true

https://twitter.com/RedorDead07/status/727824963797954562

Always thought we unacheived greatly in europe between 97-02 besides 99 obviously. we had such a great team but always felt fergie often gave too much respect to European teams and altered the way the players played a lot.

Please be true, please be true, please be true

https://twitter.com/RedorDead07/status/727824963797954562

Balague thinks he wont leave this summer, he will move next summer. Would be a fantastic signing though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Every time a player does well against a "bigger" team in the CL, he gets linked with a big money transfer. I no more believe we have a chance with Griezmann, as much as I'd love him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Always thought we unacheived greatly in europe between 97-02 besides 99 obviously. we had such a great team but always felt fergie often gave too much respect to European teams and altered the way the players played a lot.

Thought we punched below our weight for a couple of seasons before that also. What really had an impact was the foreigner rule, I can't recall was it 3 ? Imagine that in modern day football !!! But we were forced in games to play the likes of Paul Parker and some of the lesser lights due to the ridiculous rule which also included the Irish players also I think...

• Advertisement

"Leicester will not finish top 4 this season" :pac:

where would you play him if he were to sign for us? At 70m there are much better players that you could sign and would be cheaper as well

Well that's the point, you kinda make him plug gaps. Left, right, center. He just roams and does his own bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

A lad I work with reckons he has a mate who sets prices in the bookies and he called him after we chatted about the odds of Kasper Schmiechel's son winning hte league before Liverpool and he was quoted 200/1. lol

I must check because he said Coral are going to offer the bet soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Well that's the point, you kinda make him plug gaps. Left, right, center. He just roams and does his own bit.

Nothing wrong with a player who can play a couple of positions, a nice dilemma to have... Don't know how we will line up formation wise next year but in the current system I'd have him and Martial as the two wide attacking players or perhaps in the hole behind the striker.. either way I'd love to see him in our jersey next year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hococop wrote: »
    Actually saw something last night that sort of annoyed me, showed a pic of Diego saying defensive masterclass, weird how him and Jose are treated polar opposite,

Diego plays a defensive game its a wonder class in defending, when its Jose its parking the bus

When Diego is screaming running around the sideline and when he slapped that guy on the back yesterday people say it shows passion and desire
    Yet when jose does does it, people try to say its dirty tactics and people want to hang him,

Very good post. I'll be first admit I'm probably in that category to least sum small degree but got me thinking.

You look at Kloop last week giving out about a team winning a semi final and Few months before it he out celebrating draw in league game.

Some managers can do no wrong others no right.

Depends who media lick arse to I guess

• Advertisement

Very good post. I'll be first admit I'm probably in that category to least sum small degree but got me thinking.

You look at Kloop last week giving out about a team winning a semi final and Few months before it he out celebrating draw in league game.

Some managers can do no wrong others no right.

Depends who media lick arse to I guess

The media is kinder to Jose then anyone.

I think you both are right there are definite blinkers on here. But i think its on both sides of those who want and dont want jose.

The only times i have found his behaviour totally wrong was at madrid when he poked tito in the eye. Then everything with the physios at chelsea which he handled terribly.

He does get a bit redicolous at times with comments about referees but so did fergie.

The Hysel Ban set English clubs back 10 years sadly.

The media is kinder to Jose then anyone.

I think you both are right there are definite blinkers on here. But i think its on both sides of those who want and dont want jose.

The only times i have found his behaviour totally wrong was at madrid when he poked tito in the eye. Then everything with the physios at chelsea which he handled terribly.

He does get a bit redicolous at times with comments about referees but so did fergie.

See what you mean and agree most part, however not sure Jose gets away with much in media, but I'm not over confident to say I'm in anyway right just more what I see or read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Two great posts from the doc and Hococop about style of play and jose.

I think alot of fans have the run of themselves about how it use to be and really it wasn't always that swashbuckling style very rarely did united hammer teams and alot of the time we played close games but one thing I will say about fergie teams is only against the very top clubs would he try defend a one nil lead.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Two great posts from the doc and Hococop about style of play and jose.

I think alot of fans have the run of themselves about how it use to be and really it wasn't always that swashbuckling style very rarely did united hammer teams and alot of the time we played close games but one thing I will say about fergie teams is only against the very top clubs would he try defend a one nil lead.

Fergie frequently deployed 4-5-1 in the big games. And he struggled massively with dealing with Mourinho when he arrived on the scene.

Always maintained that if Chelsea didn't implode, Fergie's and our reign of dominance would have ended a lot sooner.

A tag is always given with Ferguson that when a new power arrived and aserted themselves he reacted strong, Ancelloti,Blackburn,Benitez, Keegan, Mancini, Arsenal and Wenger. But he looked very short of ideas when Mourinho arrived.

So surely, by a very lazy and assumption based logic, we should be excited at the possability of providing Mourinho the environment that he thrived under when arriving to England, where he had us and one of the greatest managers of all time, on the ropes and helpless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Was it Madrid that took Utd apart at Old Trafford in the CL (Ronaldo scored) that was the catalyst for Fergies change in formation in Europe?

I remember him saying after a game, and I think it was the above, that you had to play differently in Europe, that a two man midfield would always be outnumbered by European teams. He had a total shift in his tactics for Eurpoean nights, especially away from home, but at home too.

It was like watching Van Gaals Utd a bit. Loads of those games were instantly forgettable with little or nothing happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Kind-hearted Manchester United star Luke Shaw steps in to ensure dying fan gets to Wembley for the FA Cup final
    Manchester United star Luke Shaw has offered to make sure an elderly fan with a terminal brain tumour gets his dying wish - to watch the Reds battle it out at the FA Cup at Wembley.
    The 20-year-old was so touched by the M.E.N’s story about William Moore that he offered to donate tickets for May 21 final.
    The left-back, signed for £27m from Southampton two years ago, and who is recovering from a broken leg, said it would be ‘my pleasure to get him to watch the game’.
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/kind-hearted-manchester-united-star-11284273

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

adox wrote: »
    Was it Madrid that took Utd apart at Old Trafford in the CL (Ronaldo scored)

The game we won 4-3?

Ronaldo was unstoppable that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

El confidential going with United will do what it takes to get Griezmann. His buyout clause is €80 million. Guillem Ballague is reporting Griezmann will carefully consider a move to United.

Martial brought goals, Memphis didn't unfortunately - not enough to count as meaningful, Rooney got going in 2016 then got injured then moved to midfield. Rashford brought goals but is so young still.

I see earlier on in this thread that Muller was kind of dismissed due to last night's game, he hs scored 32 goals and 12 assists in 47 games this season. Griezmann has scored 31 goals and 7 assists in 51 games. Muller would have been great if he had decided to leave, but Griezmann should be the target now, they are quite similar in how they are multi-purpose up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I agree about the "United Way" myths but one thing that epitomised United is not giving in. If we played a bad first half the hair dryer would come out & we would play much better in the second half. We wouldn't give up hence why Fergie time became a catch phrase. We played with passion boosted by players like Keano, Evra, Vidic etc.

All the above have disappeared from the team & we need them back.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement