Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    Was it Madrid that took Utd apart at Old Trafford in the CL (Ronaldo scored) that was the catalyst for Fergies change in formation in Europe?

I remember him saying after a game, and I think it was the above, that you had to play differently in Europe, that a two man midfield would always be outnumbered by European teams. He had a total shift in his tactics for Eurpoean nights, especially away from home, but at home too.

It was like watching Van Gaals Utd a bit. Loads of those games were instantly forgettable with little or nothing happening.

I can't remember when it specifically happened, but we had got a tonking a few times in Europe and then we started to see a packed three man midfield. I remember that became very "in fashion" for a period when the premier league got pretty terrible and boring. Teams would come up and just play 4-5-1, and in the big games both teams would pack three men in midfield.

When Ronaldo arrived for us he still kept the formation, with a slight tweak to utilise what was at times, an incredible counter attack. From what I recall anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

RobertKK wrote: »
    El confidential going with United will do what it takes to get Griezmann. His buyout clause is €80 million. Guillem Ballague is reporting Griezmann will carefully consider a move to United.

Martial brought goals, Memphis didn't unfortunately - not enough to count as meaningful, Rooney got going in 2016 then got injured then moved to midfield. Rashford brought goals but is so young still.

I see earlier on in this thread that Muller was kind of dismissed due to last night's game, he hs scored 32 goals and 12 assists in 47 games this season. Griezmann has scored 31 goals and 7 assists in 51 games. Muller would have been great if he had decided to leave, but Griezmann should be the target now, they are quite similar in how they are multi-purpose up front.

I was struggling to try name five after reading your post.

In terms of high quality right sided players, what are the options out there, potentially acquirable? It's a glaring issue in our squad.

I could only think of Griezemann and Sane. And then being like "We could use Memphis on the right"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

enviro wrote: »
    The game we won 4-3?

Ronaldo was unstoppable that night.

Yeah I may have the wrong game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Yeah I may have the wrong game.

They tore us apart in the first leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

TheDoc wrote: »
    Fergie frequently deployed 4-5-1 in the big games. And he struggled massively with dealing with Mourinho when he arrived on the scene.

Always maintained that if Chelsea didn't implode, Fergie's and our reign of dominance would have ended a lot sooner.

A tag is always given with Ferguson that when a new power arrived and aserted themselves he reacted strong, Ancelloti,Blackburn,Benitez, Keegan, Mancini, Arsenal and Wenger. But he looked very short of ideas when Mourinho arrived.

So surely, by a very lazy and assumption based logic, we should be excited at the possability of providing Mourinho the environment that he thrived under when arriving to England, where he had us and one of the greatest managers of all time, on the ropes and helpless.

I don't know if that's fair either. We struggled against Mourinho at the time but we were also dealing with a fairly disjointed side that was trying to find what route it was going to go. His biggest failing was not spending the money - whether because of the Glazers or what - to compete for the players Chelsea were signing which could have hastened our return to the top. Getting rid of Keane helped our midfield in a major way and shepherded the younger players to the forefront to become the leaders. Mourinho being in opposition did make Fergie stop resting on his laurels and around the time of that famous Middlesboro loss I remember a lot of people were saying maybe it was time for Fergie to go at the end of the season.
    Was it Madrid that took Utd apart at Old Trafford in the CL (Ronaldo scored) that was the catalyst for Fergies change in formation in Europe?

I remember him saying after a game, and I think it was the above, that you had to play differently in Europe, that a two man midfield would always be outnumbered by European teams. He had a total shift in his tactics for Eurpoean nights, especially away from home, but at home too.

It was like watching Van Gaals Utd a bit. Loads of those games were instantly forgettable with little or nothing happening.

Think it was more the 2006-07 when we played Rooney and Van Nistelrooy up front and Ronaldo and Giggs out the wings, and Smith and Scholes in midfield. And then proceeded to get tonked by Villareal and Benfica in the middle of the park, or the previous season when Milan knocked us out with their midfield of Pirlo, Seedorf and Gattuso (which I think was when he started moving towards the 3 man midfield). The following year resembled more of a 4-5-1 before the proper 4-3-3.

It took us a while to change after that Madrid game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

I think it was the 2-1 loss to Anderlecht in 2000 but not 100% sure of that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

El confidential going with United will do what it takes to get Griezmann. His buyout clause is €80 million. Guillem Ballague is reporting Griezmann will carefully consider a move to United.

Martial brought goals, Memphis didn't unfortunately - not enough to count as meaningful, Rooney got going in 2016 then got injured then moved to midfield. Rashford brought goals but is so young still.

I see earlier on in this thread that Muller was kind of dismissed due to last night's game, he hs scored 32 goals and 12 assists in 47 games this season. Griezmann has scored 31 goals and 7 assists in 51 games. Muller would have been great if he had decided to leave, but Griezmann should be the target now, they are quite similar in how they are multi-purpose up front.

While either player would bring goals only one has the overall skill set United need. Its not Muller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I would absolutely love to have Griezman at the club its a long time since we have had a genuinely world class player at the club that was a genuine united fan id love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I never like seeing a player get injured. Kompany off injured which is a help to our 4th place quest, he always makes City much better when fit, he goes off and RM score.
    Now City have to try harder...come on Arsenal, United don't slip up this weekend...

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »
    While either player would bring goals only one has the overall skill set United need. Its not Muller.

In a fantasy line up, I would have both and replace Mata with Muller.

I never like seeing a player get injured. Kompany off injured which is a help to our 4th place quest, he always makes City much better when fit, he goes off and RM score.
    Now City have to try harder...come on Arsenal, United don't slip up this weekend...

Dont mention the slip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

City have such a slow team these days. Fernando, Fernandinho, and Toure are so immobile in the middle. Yaya Toure was shocking for the 60 minutes he was on. He barely moved. Hope Arsenal wallop them and give us a chance to sneak passed them.

Although Ive no doubt United will lose or draw at least one more game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

:D

It will be an all Spanish CL final and an all Spanish EL final...

Part 1 of my prediction complete.

A demoralised City to get 5th place in the league :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

City failed to score over the 2 games..long may it continue:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

City were shocking tonight.

Would absolutely love Luca Modric in the United midfield. He controls the game for Madrid and never stops pressing and running his ass off.

secman wrote: »
    City failed to score over the 2 games..long may it continue:)

Real Madrid did the same as us, a goal less draw and then a 1-0 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

So we are all Arsenal fans the weekend, they usually let their own fans down on a weekly basis I wonder how they'll be for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We have played poor in many European games but never as pathetic as City tonight.

We even showed fight under Moyes and LVG

It is Duncan Castles...

https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/727971909086941188

Manchester United have asked Jose Mourinho to replace Van Gaal as manager. In the summer of 2017. #MUFC #CFC #RMCF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Duncan Castles; the journalist who is very close to Jorge Mendes is reporting that we have asked Mourinho to replace LVG..........In the summer of 2017!! Shoot me please..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Which is interesting because he never, ever says anything positive about United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

He's just having a troll to be honest

The sun reporting it as well now, there is after been a leak from the Mourinho camp clearly! Ed really is a headless chicken if that is the case

Mourinho said he would be in a job by July

That makes no sense. If they were looking for Giggs to take over I could see them giving LVG another year but I see no reason in holding onto LVG for another year and Jose to take over in 2017. Just give him the job this summer.

Or Woodward is just hell bent on letting Van Gaal see out his 3 year deal which he does not deserve to see out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If I could ban one journalist from this thread, it would be Duncan Castle.

He loves to wind up United fans, and loves posting stories designed to cause meltdowns among the fanbase. I disregard 99% of what he says because of that agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

The Sun are reporting it too but it seems that they are reporting it that he WAS asked previously and he said no. Apologies in advance for quoting the Sun
    JOSE MOURINHO was asked by Manchester United bosses to wait a year for the Old Trafford hotseat.

But the Special One wants to be back in football this summer — six months after the sack at Chelsea.

And the Portuguese now believes he is closer than at any stage to being confirmed as the next United boss — probably by the end of the month after Louis van Gaal has led his side into the FA Cup Final with Crystal Palace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Phew it's only Duncan having another ****ing wind up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Its all just noise at the moment. Its win win this year for me. We finish 4th then we have Champions League football. We finish lower than 4th then we get rid of LVG. Either way I can find happiness in the outcome.

There is no way he survives on a 5th or 6th place finish even with an FA Cup win. If he does then I'm following another sport for a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Castles is top of the ban list lads, followed by Ballbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Makes zero sense. Im no fan of Jose's but the only reason I can think of for doing that is to save money by not paying LVG off? It would have made sense maybe 4 years ago where you have a manager retiring at the end of that season but who you would not dare sack (Fergie) but with LVG I just don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Makes zero sense. Im no fan of Jose's but the only reason I can think of for doing that is to save money by not paying LVG off? It would have made sense maybe 4 years ago where you have a manager retiring at the end of that season but who you would not dare sack (Fergie) but with LVG I just don't get it.

Exactly. There is also no way Jose would wait another year. What would be purpose of keeping LVG for one more year!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Exactly. There is also no way Jose would wait another year. What would be purpose of keeping LVG for one more year!?

No way Jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Mourinho said he would be in a job by July
    portugal tourism board looking for staff? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

scholesy.jpg :pac:

good auld Duncan

NSFW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

scholesy.jpg :pac:

good auld Duncan

Good Lord. I need to wash my eyes with bleach after seeing that.

Might want to put a NSFW warning on that too!

Duncan likes to wind up alright but he is also Mendes go to journalist! Jonathan North croft and a few others backing up the story now as well. As to why keep LVG it's all about Eds hello he doesn't want to be seen to sack the manager he picked out; bonkers I know but that's our Ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Mendes trying to put some pressure on United by the looks of things. Castles prints what Jorge wants. He's like a PR man

Although possibly shows that nothing is set in stone yet. Jose getting a bit nervous?

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote:
    Would love to have started this off with news Jose was signing. Hopefully soon. Hopefully this thread has more luck than the last....

Although possibly shows that nothing is set in stone yet. Jose getting a bit nervous?

Mendes trying to put some pressure on United by the looks of things. Castles prints what Jorge wants. He's like a PR man

I think it's more and more likely we are stuck with LVG next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Formations have been mentioned a bit over the last few weeks.

What formation would people like to see the club using next season? Not that I'd expect it to happen but would you like to see a return to 4-4-2? I would put I think it'd mean a complete overhaul needed in Midfield. And if its Jose next season it'd be hard to look past him using 4-5-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

What formation would people like to see the club using next season? Not that I'd expect it to happen but would you like to see a return to 4-4-2? I would put I think it'd mean a complete overhaul needed in Midfield. And if its Jose next season it'd be hard to look past him using 4-5-1

I think 4-4-2 with flying wingers is dead and dusted

We'll see a variation of 4-5-1 and 4-3-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Honestly, I'd just prefer a manager prepared to be flexible and use the tools he has rather than rigidly sticking to a plan or formation. Whats the point in overhauling midfield just to fit the formation, better to get a formation that best fits the players we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

brinty wrote: »

We'll see a variation of 4-5-1 and 4-3-3

playing the likes of aston villa at home, there is no reason why we shouldn't be playing 4-4-2. 1 striker up top against teams of that calibre is laughable

brinty wrote: »

Leicester say hi brinty :):):)

• Advertisement

Honestly, I'd just prefer a manager prepared to be flexible and use the tools he has rather than rigidly sticking to a plan or formation. Whats the point in overhauling midfield just to fit the formation, better to get a formation that best fits the players we have.

Id prefer a manager to pick his style of play and buy the players to fit that style, obviously you want a base of 3 tactics but the players in your squad should be built around what you want to play. I'm tired of players going into positions they not suited too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

I guess I'd prefer to see 2 up front, especially as mentioned against lesser clubs. I'd much rather that than seeing Martial played out wide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I guess I'd prefer to see 2 up front, especially as mentioned against lesser clubs. I'd much rather that than seeing Martial played out wide

I think Martial attacking from the wing will suit him, and be the best use of him - similar to how Ronaldo and Henry played the attacking game. The issue would be how much of his energy is spent tracking back the other way - if we can reduce that, allowing him to concentrate more on attacking (like Henry and Ronaldo) then happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Man I'm looking forward to seeing Martial and Shaw working together on the left

God it would paint Woodward in a whole new level of incompetence if he actually asked the best manager in the world to wait around a year while we struggle to get top 4.

If this is the case we really are doomed, Mourinho won't touch us with a barge pole. He will surely see there is no saving us with idiots continuing to make the big decisions at the club.

I hope it's trolling, I really do

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement