Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Winning the Europa will be better than anything we can do now

There should be p45s handed out all over if that happens, embarrassing

FA Cup > A second tier European championship any day of the week for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

ShooterSF wrote: »

Europa league is a much bigger competition than the fa cup. The fa cup is basically a bigger version of the the league cup nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Fa Cup winner <<<<<< Getting into the Champions League + a trophy to boot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    We're doing that anyways. No offence dude!

The reality of it is LVG is in charge for another season. Easier except it now than get your hopes up for managerial change.

Can somebody confirm if we get 4th somehow we are no longer impacted by any European winners? City are knocked out which is key.

It will be worse next year.

Chelsea and City will not have a season like this year.

Spurs will be knocking on the door for top 4 as will Arsenal.

When Klopp gets to make changes to the squad in bring in a few of his players they will be top 4 challengers at a minimum.

That's 5 teams that will be gunning for 4 spots.

Every other team around us will have loads of money to spend so will get better.

LVG has proven ineffective in the transfer market with the exception of Martial.

I'm not one that thinks it's a given that Jose is joining us, I've said from the get go that until I see him standing in Carrington after signing a contract.

The point I was making is that if we are stuck with LVG for another year we will be worse off than we are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

They go into the group stages of the CL

• Advertisement

They go into the group stages of the CL

So what?

It's still the Johnstone Paint trophy of Europe. Oh look we won a cup that the best teams are kept out of. Whoop-de-do. At least the FA Cup is a 1st tier competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Europe over Fa cup anyday. But I won't lose sleep if they won it.

If it was Pl or Cl mind you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

So what?

It's still the Johnstone Paint trophy of Europe. Oh look we won a cup that the best teams are kept out of. Whoop-de-do. At least the FA Cup is a 1st tier competition.

It's CL qualification moreso than the cup itself tbh.

I'd be more than happy if we were in the final rather than having to hope other teams do us a favour to try and sneak 4th.

It's CL qualification moreso than the cup itself tbh.

I'd be more than happy if we were in the final rather than having to hope other teams do us a favour to try and sneak 4th.

That's fair if you want to celebrate making the champions league I get it but people putting the EL over the FA Cup is madness to me. As a kid it was CL/Prem first then FA Cup and then the rest.

So are there people here who'd rather finish 4th and make the CL than win the Cup???

So what?

1st tier? Lol

Most teams don't even play their best 11 in the fa cup anymore.

Much harder to win Europa league, quality teams in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

So much so that Manchester United didn't even bother to enter it in 2000 ?

Europa League and the carrot of CL qualification any day of the week.

eigrod wrote: »

Europa League and the carrot of CL qualification any day of the week.

Not true, they were put under pressure to play in Fifa tournament in Brazil by fa as England wanted to host World Cup. United offered to put a 2nd team in fa cup but were denied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The reality of it is LVG is in charge for another season. Easier except it now than get your hopes up for managerial change

That's not the reality. That's your opinion.

My opinion is he will be gone by the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

eigrod wrote:

This old chestnut again. The FA and the government basically forced them to withdraw that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

That's fair if you want to celebrate making the champions league I get it but people putting the EL over the FA Cup is madness to me. As a kid it was CL/Prem first then FA Cup and then the rest.

So are there people here who'd rather finish 4th and make the CL than win the Cup???

Yes. Every single day of the week and twice on Sundays. Money withstanding it's a platform to attract the biggest names in football, thus strengthening your squad and ensuring you push on.

Wigan and Portsmouth have won the cup in recent times......

• adox wrote: »
    That's not the reality. That's your opinion.

My opinion is he will be gone by the summer.

Fair enough adox but it's my reality. I have accepeted it. For me nothing points to him getting shown the door. I'm drained of positivity. The awards show topped it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

bangkok wrote: »
    1st tier? Lol

Most teams don't even play their best 11 in the fa cup anymore.

Much harder to win Europa league, quality teams in it.

To be fair Man Utd being in it made things slightly easier than it might have been.

To be fair Man Utd being in it made things slightly easier than it might have been.

The awkward moment when you see who ahead of who in the league table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It will be worse next year.

Don't forget the not insignificant fact that it will also be the last year of his contract and so he will be even more of a lame duck manager than he currently is. Its one thing to stick with a crap manager on the faint hope that he is building towards something, that you might see results a few seasons down the line. We don't even have that, we will have a crap manager and a bunch of players who know he is done in a year. That never ends well.

Its so incredibly obvious that Van Gaal should not be here next season. Unfortunately it was also incredibly obvious a year ago, so it would seem our board can't see the obvious.

• The awkward moment when you see who ahead of who in the league table

It's OK. They usually get excited every now and then and have a little squirt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pffft, we'll see who's laughing in about three weeks eh? :)

This forum would be such a better place without the childishness.

My dear man I been laughing at Liverpool for 26 glorious years.

You can have your odd day in the sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The awkward moment when you see that there's no trophy for 5th place, only qualification for a tournament we knocked ye out of, in comfortable fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

The 136 clubs playing in the eighth tier of English football entered the FA Cup. What you been smokin there Shooter? :D

AH Liverpool fans getting ahead of themselves
    ...now where have I seen this before....let's just hope you don't slip up....no pun intended

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

CL qualification over FA cup all the way for me.

If you want to attract top,players, you realistically need CL football. They won't give a damn bout the FA cup. If we win it, by next September, it's meaningless. Long term over short term. Big teams play in the Champions League. The FA cup, as mentioned above, has long since turned into something most big teams play reserves in, and has had finals and semi finals dominated by lesser teams.

martyos121 wrote: »
    The awkward moment when you see that there's no trophy for 5th place, only qualification for a tournament we knocked ye out of, in comfortable fashion.

And I ****ing bet top dollar you had a 1-4 photo on Facebook back in 2009.

Get it up ya!! ;)

martyos121 wrote: »

I think his point is that a table based over 38 games is more representative of how a team has performed over the course of a season rather than a cup tie, where anything can happen on the night.

Great achievement reaching the final. But let's not get lost in adolescents

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

They are laughable they crawl out from under their rock before they even won anything and then when they get laughed at if they fail they accuse others of been childish... Clowns

As a kid it was CL/Prem first then FA Cup and then the rest.
    And if you were still a kid that would be true but guess what? Time has moved on and the FA cup has (unfortunately) become a obligatory distraction which most PL clubs don't start taking seriously unless they somehow manage to find themselves in the Quarter Finals at a minimum. Until then they pretty much all put out teams that are less than their best 11.

All stuff aside I rather be in El final then FA cup final.

It's sad say that as 94 96 and 99 finals were glorious days for many reasons.

But trophy is trophy and still want win it, and Europa is still not close to Pl or Cl either.

Seriously Harry? I'm wetting myself here.

• martyos121 wrote: »

Martyos121

I like you

5starpool is the king though
    OwayneOtt 2nd
    Sorry you are 3rd but it's a good start :)

adox wrote: »
    This forum would be such a better boring place without the childishness.
    Fixed that for ya ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Martyos121

I like you

OwayneOtt 2nd

That's CL qualification. We'll take that after a few rough years :(

• emmetkenny wrote: »
    That's CL qualification. We'll take that after a few rough years :(

Adding emmetkenny to the list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Martyos121

I like you

OwayneOtt 2nd

Appreciate it, I assume there's an Arsenal fan in 4th place though? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Hope we never get so small time that we have to run off to the Liverpool thread for a pat on the head after a good result.

• martyos121 wrote: »
    Appreciate it, I assume there's an Arsenal fan in 4th place though? :)

Emmet knocked them down to 5th. It's the new 4th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

LVG really staying another year lads? Don't think I can face another season of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lord TSC wrote: »
    If you want to attract top,players, you realistically need CL football.

Yeah, forget trophies, this game is all about getting new players...

I don't mean to snark, but in general these days I feel that many people forget what this whole football lark is supposed to be about. Everything we do is supposed to be about winning trophies, thats supposed to be the whole point, the whole reason for making this selection or that decision. Yet again and again you will hear fans saying they would rather a chance at winning something next season over wanting to win this season. I can understand it from money men looking at their revenue streams but from fans? It doesn't make sense.

Not least because currently we would be swapping an FA cup for the chance to play crap against the likes of Wolfsburg and PSV.

LVG really staying another year lads? Don't think I can face another season of it.

He will be gone in the summer.

And you can quote me on that. :)

Stranger things have happened, personally can't see it.

Yeah, forget trophies, this game is all about getting new players...

I don't mean to snark, but in general these days I feel that many people forget what this whole football lark is supposed to be about. Everything we do is supposed to be about winning trophies, thats supposed to be the whole point, the whole reason for making this selection or that decision. Yet again and again you will hear fans saying they would rather a chance at winning something next season over wanting to win this season. I can understand it from money men looking at their revenue streams but from fans? It doesn't make sense.

Not least because currently we would be swapping an FA cup for the chance to play crap against the likes of Wolfsburg and PSV.

Excellent point well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Hope we never get so small time that we have to run off to the Liverpool thread for a pat on the head after a good result.

You started the match thread for Liverpool's game this evening. Ding-dong, Ding -dong.

• Yeah, forget trophies, this game is all about getting new players...

Not often I agree with you but credit due. Great point. I want a trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

That awkward moment when you realise a team behind you in the table has a better chance of qualifying for the champions league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

You started the match thread for Liverpool'd game this evening. Ding-dong, Ding -dong.

So? What has that got to do with what I said?

Ya I rather play The champions of Latvia in group stages of Cl then FA Cup final.

It's sad saying it but that's the way it is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement