Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The awkward moment when you realise a team behind you in the table has a better chance of qualifying for the champions league.

OK well done only beaten by 2 other posters but we'll done

• That awkward moment when you realise a team behind you in the table has a better chance of qualifying for the champions league.

Ah lads, come on you make it too easy. Stop shooting the load too soon. You know what happens every time you do. You end up slipping on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

My dear man I been laughing at Liverpool for 26 glorious years.

Isn't it laughable hoe there's no discussion on Liverpool's title drought
    They'be passed out our 26 year mark this year

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

OK well done only beaten by 2 other posters but we'll done

Thank you.

bangkok wrote:
    Manchester United set to appeal against Maroune Fellaini's three-match ban, as they hope to extend it to at least six-matches

You're like a broken record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

brinty wrote: »
    Isn't it laughable hoe there's no discussion on Liverpool's title drought
    They'be passed out our 26 year mark this year

But yet to meet the 41 years United went with out winning the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

In fairness United never won the UEFA or Europa cup so I wouldn't expect ye to know what it is like.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I assume I need to head over to the Liverpool thread if I want to read about United?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

K-9 wrote: »
    In fairness United never won the UEFA or Europa cup so I wouldn't expect ye to know what it is like.

Kind of harder when your busying yourself with the latter stages of the Champions League more often than not. Suppose we should have finished outside the top 4 all those years and given ourselves a good old shot at the Europa eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Liverpool in the final of the 2nd tier European competition?

Good for them, the face the returning incumbents Sevilla going for three in a row. Tall order but sure isn't it better when they get so close to success and then have it snatched away?

Personally with the way our season has gone, all I would have wanted for either of the rivals who had their best chance in Europe, City and Liverpool, to both reach the final of their competition and to lose on penalties in sudden death on the 14th kick. It would have given me some small satisfaction in what has been a pretty dull season and City couldn't even manage that with their pathetic (by all accounts, haven't seen it) display, at least Liverpool are giving their fans that bit of hope before the crushing failure :) Hopefully anyway, if not so what? They have won the thing before, if they get into the CL its not like they are going to do anything in it anyway. Let them have their moment.

The only shining light for us is an FA Cup final to be played, it has been too damn long since we won the cup and I'd love to win it, the squad needs a win and it could be a catalyst for future success, ingrain a winning mentality and kick on with some luck. 4th is of course possible but not likely imo, City have shat the bag and may drop more points, not just in the Arsenal game but I don't have much faith in us capitalising.

Be great if we could of course, but I'll be ****ed if I'm getting my hopes up for it anyway.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Kind of harder when your busying yourself with the latter stages of the Champions League more often than not. Suppose we should have finished outside the top 4 all those years and given ourselves a good old shot at the Europa eh?

That would be way more pertinent if Liverpool had also done that.

besides the post you quoted was obviously in jest. And I highly doubt anyone on this thread would be anything other than delighted had United qualified for the final tonight. Sure look back at the posts after beating West Ham to see how making a final can bring a smile to people faces, and right so.

Liverpool fans will gloat when they do well and United fans will gloat when they do. Its a natural cycle and United fans should just be happy that they go to do it a LOT more than Liverpool fans have in the recent past.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    That would be way more pertinent if Liverpool had also done that.

besides the post you quoted was obviously in jest. And I highly doubt anyone on this thread would be anything other than delighted had United qualified for the final tonight. Sure look back at the posts after beating West Ham to see how making a final can bring a smile to people faces, and right so.

Liverpool fans will gloat when they do well and United fans will gloat when they do. Its a natural cycle and United fans should just be happy that they go to do it a LOT more than Liverpool fans have in the recent past.

I'm not begrudging Liverpool fans of their happiness. United have not been in the Europa much, just pointing that out, I'm not sure where you're getting the rest from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Only slagging, if ye were in the final after beating us along the way...

Of course Spurs and Ipswich managed to win UEFA cups while ye were busy finishing mid table.

Anyway, ye got to see Anfield on big European nights, not many do, enjoy.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

good to see the pool fans swamping the united thread tonight. even mods :D jesus lads i came in to read about united related stuff and find pool fans stirring it.

on a united related matter, what do you all think of this sanches kid we are looking at? 40 mil plus add ons ;) i hope he is good at that price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

good to see the pool fans swamping the united thread tonight. even mods :D jesus lads i came in to read about united related stuff and find pool fans stirring it.

on a united related matter, what do you all think of this sanches kid we are looking at? 40 mil plus add ons ;) i hope he is good at that price

Don't change the subject. Let them stir it.

But know this, 'Pool fans, lose the final and we will come down on your thread like the hammer of Thor. The thunder of our vengeance will echo through this forum like the gusts of a thousand winds!

And if they win, I'll act like I don't care....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Of course Spurs and Ipswich managed to win UEFA cups while ye were busy finishing mid table.

And Blackburn, Leicester and Leeds have all won league titles while ye were busy doing fúck all in that competition..

Whatever about trying to wind up United fans about beating us or winning the UEFA Cup, which ye haven't actually won yet.. it's a sad day for both clubs if a UEFA Cup final spot is all either has to try wind the other up about.

Only slagging, if ye were in the final after beating us along the way...

Anyway, ye got to see Anfield on big European nights, not many do, enjoy.

He's played the history card. Well I never...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

So Norwich tomorrow, gonna be tough, they are scrapping for survival, we are hit and miss.

If we played like we did in the first half of the last couple of games we will hopefully have the game put to bed by half time.

I am torn however as I still genuinely believe if we get top 4 we will be left with LVG for his final year.

The rot and settling for also rans that he has instilled in the squad is more than palpable, its as obvious as the nose on my face.

And yet we rumble on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I have a feeling we will hammer Norwich tomorrow

I hate saying it but don't think we win tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

It was awfully awkward in here last night with all those awkward moments of realisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Thank fuk I feel sleep last night.

Should beat Norwich tomorrow we are muck but they are in terrible form be in fourth by Monday :)

Like see Norwich stay up but I hope we beat them of course. Just have bad feeling

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    It was awfully awkward in here last night with all those awkward moments of realisation.

We realised that we are broken quite some time ago man.

Like see Norwich stay up but I hope we beat them of course. Just have bad feeling

#positivitytrain... pulling into a station near you soon ... #choochoo

We can still get 4th but we need to do it for ourselves. Anything other than a win tomorrow is unacceptable

I'll take 3 1-0 wins if that's what it takes to get 4th. Gets ye the same points.

jayo26 wrote: »

Should beat Norwich tomorrow we are muck but they are in terrible form be in fourth by Monday :)

Welcome on board the #positivitytrain sir
    Next stop is to pick up Kew

Which Monday?

I think City are 4 points ahead?

We will win tomorrow I agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I'd much rather win the FA cup than 4th this season. We are not in any way going to win the champions league next year and it's all about winning trophies. FA cup this year and then a year to bring in a few more additions in order to allow us to have a great chance to compete the following season and not going another year without a trophy.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    I'd much rather win the FA cup than 4th this season. We are not in any way going to win the champions league next year and it's all about winning trophies. FA cup this year and then a year to bring in a few more additions in order to allow us to have a great chance to compete the following season and not going another year without a trophy.

Meh. Its easier to bring in talent if you have a CL place.

I would like both.

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Which Monday?

I think City are 4 points ahead?

We will win tomorrow I agree

Sorry Tuesday :)

• Advertisement

Meh. Its easier to bring in talent if you have a CL place.

I would like both.

Di Maria, Rojo, Falcao, Blind, Shaw and Herrera didn't mind coming to a side without CL....

You put your money on the table and anyone can join....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Polo_Mint wrote:
    I have a feeling we will hammer Norwich tomorrow

We have scored 43 league goals this season, same as Bournemouth. We were running down the clock home to villa. We ain't hammering anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Won't we lose out on money from the adidas deal if we don't finish 4th? Plus at this stage if we get 4th it will mean city miss out so that's a reason in itself!

I wonder would it be easier with champions league for example....

Say if we qualify for champs league and lvg is in charge or we get 5th and jose took over which which would be more attractive to most players??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Sorry Tuesday :)

Why Tuesday?!

Di Maria, Rojo, Falcao, Blind, Shaw and Herrera didn't mind coming to a side without CL....

Di Maria and Falcao didnt want to join us I believe. Their Previous clubs I think pushed it.

They showed there disinterest on the pitch.

Why Tuesday?!

We play West Ham on Tuesday as our game in hand

I wonder would it be easier with champions league for example....

Say if we qualify for champs league and lvg is in charge or we get 5th and jose took over which which would be more attractive to most players??

Jose, no question.

Everyone knows LVG in his last year.

That lends a level of uncertainty to any player joining.

They could be signed by LVG then a new manager comes in 12 months later and shows them the door.

We are going to struggle in the transfer market this summer i fear, even if we do get cl.

Why Tuesday?!

When are we playing Westham? Prob Wednesday ha

• Advertisement

Jose, no question.

Everyone knows LVG in his last year.

That lends a level of uncertainty to any player joining.

They could be signed by LVG then a new manager comes in 12 months later and shows them the door.

We are going to struggle in the transfer market this summer i fear, even if we do get cl.

I think we are going to concentrate on signing young players like martial and Sanchez for the next manager.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yeah, forget trophies, this game is all about getting new players...

I don't mean to snark, but in general these days I feel that many people forget what this whole football lark is supposed to be about. Everything we do is supposed to be about winning trophies, thats supposed to be the whole point, the whole reason for making this selection or that decision. Yet again and again you will hear fans saying they would rather a chance at winning something next season over wanting to win this season. I can understand it from money men looking at their revenue streams but from fans? It doesn't make sense.

Not least because currently we would be swapping an FA cup for the chance to play crap against the likes of Wolfsburg and PSV.

Fair point, and its not that I disagree to an extreme.

My thoughts would be that right now, we're looking at missing CL football for a second time in three years. My worries would be that winning the FA Cup but missing CL football puts us into a harder position going forward. Winning a trophy would be a nice moment now, but would make next year harder, which in turn makes the next year harder, and so on. Winning the FA Cup doesn't help us rebuild and regain ground on being a top team. Winning an FA Cup won't stop everyone being up in arms when we're struggling to get 4th again next year, and would potentially paper up cracks in a bad way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

[The Times - Matt Hughes] - "The Times has also learnt the details of Van Gaal's payoff should he be sacked at the end of the season, which remains the expectation despite his defiance last week when he insisted he would see out the final year of his contract."

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/football/article4743047.ece

More details from the article...

The Times can reveal details of Van Gaal’s contract for the first time, a week after he insisted that United pressurised him into signing a three rather than two-year deal, a claim that is contested by others at Old Trafford.

Of Van Gaal’s £8 million-a-year contract he signed in May 2014, only £3.3 million is guaranteed as basic pay. The rest of the package is made up of a £2 million loyalty payment, £1.6 million for image rights and £1.1 million for taking United into the Champions League. All those sums were paid last year after United finished fourth in Van Gaal’s first season at Old Trafford, but the Champions League payment is in jeopardy this season because his side are fifth in the Barclays Premier League, four points behind fourth-placed Manchester City but with a game in hand.

In addition to his salary Van Gaal can earn a series of payments based on the team’s performance, although only the FA Cup-winning bonus remains in play this season, with United meeting Crystal Palace at Wembley on May 21. There is no bonus for reaching the final.

A further indication of the dim view United will take of failing to qualify for the Champions League is found in the fact that winning the Europa League would earn Van Gaal £400,00, the same as winning the FA Cup, although there is a £200,000 bonus payment should he reach the final of the secondary European competition.

Van Gaal has already missed out on potential bonuses this season of £1.5 million for winning the Champions League, £1.5 million for winning the Premier League — finishing second in either competition would have earned him £750,000 — and £200,000 for winning the Capital One Cup.

The 64-year-old’s contract also stipulates a further £400,000 bonus for winning the Fifa Club World Cup and £200,000 for winning the Uefa Super Cup, although it is unlikely he will ever take United in to either competition.
    The Times has also learnt the details of Van Gaal’s payoff should he be sacked at the end of the season, which remains the expectation despite his defiance last week when he insisted that he would see out the final year of his contract. The severance terms of that contract entitle him to 66 per cent of his existing salary unless he gets another job in football before June 2017, in which case the payments would cease. If he is sacked United will continue to pay Van Gaal two thirds of his salary — including the loyalty and image rights elements — on a monthly basis so it will cost them approximately £5 million to dismiss him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Herrara and blind have been decent, Shaw still learning, the rest were failed mercenaries.

Trying to buy the title doesn't always work.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

jaykay74 wrote: »
    We have scored 43 league goals this season, same as Bournemouth. We were running down the clock home to villa. We ain't hammering anyone!

The only thing getting hammered will be United fans' will to live. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

As much i dont want Jose, it would be a diaster if LVG was kept on which im starting to get worried that he will stay in the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Di Maria and Falcao didnt want to join us I believe. Their Previous clubs I think pushed it.

They showed there disinterest on the pitch.

I thought Falcao looked like he was trying his hardest on the pitch. Unfortunately I think the knee injury really changed him and he just couldn't get a run of goals.

KH25 wrote: »
    I thought Falcao looked like he was trying his hardest on the pitch. Unfortunately I think the knee injury really changed him and he just couldn't get a run of goals.

We knew about the injuries before we took him on loan.

I dont believe a fully fit Falcao would have signed for a United team outside CL.

I would be even more surprized if Monaco would sell a fully fit Falcao.

I think he joined a club that would give him a chance knowing he was crocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

We knew about the injuries before we took him on loan.

I dont believe a fully fit Falcao would have signed for a United team outside CL.

I would be even more surprized if Monaco would sell a fully fit Falcao.

I think he joined a club that would give him a chance knowing he was crocked.

What I thought was strange is that Chelsea took him after us.

What I thought was strange is that Chelsea took him after us.

I think Jose was doing Mendes a favour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I think Jose was doing Mendes a favour

That makes sense. So we'd expect him gone this summer back to Monaco, maybe a loan deal to China?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement