Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Lord TSC wrote: »
    [The Times - Matt Hughes] - "The Times has also learnt the details of Van Gaal's payoff should he be sacked at the end of the season, which remains the expectation despite his defiance last week when he insisted he would see out the final year of his contract."

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/football/article4743047.ece

More details from the article...

The Times can reveal details of Van Gaal’s contract for the first time, a week after he insisted that United pressurised him into signing a three rather than two-year deal, a claim that is contested by others at Old Trafford.

Of Van Gaal’s £8 million-a-year contract he signed in May 2014, only £3.3 million is guaranteed as basic pay. The rest of the package is made up of a £2 million loyalty payment, £1.6 million for image rights and £1.1 million for taking United into the Champions League. All those sums were paid last year after United finished fourth in Van Gaal’s first season at Old Trafford, but the Champions League payment is in jeopardy this season because his side are fifth in the Barclays Premier League, four points behind fourth-placed Manchester City but with a game in hand.

In addition to his salary Van Gaal can earn a series of payments based on the team’s performance, although only the FA Cup-winning bonus remains in play this season, with United meeting Crystal Palace at Wembley on May 21. There is no bonus for reaching the final.

A further indication of the dim view United will take of failing to qualify for the Champions League is found in the fact that winning the Europa League would earn Van Gaal £400,00, the same as winning the FA Cup, although there is a £200,000 bonus payment should he reach the final of the secondary European competition.

Van Gaal has already missed out on potential bonuses this season of £1.5 million for winning the Champions League, £1.5 million for winning the Premier League — finishing second in either competition would have earned him £750,000 — and £200,000 for winning the Capital One Cup.

The 64-year-old’s contract also stipulates a further £400,000 bonus for winning the Fifa Club World Cup and £200,000 for winning the Uefa Super Cup, although it is unlikely he will ever take United in to either competition.
    The Times has also learnt the details of Van Gaal’s payoff should he be sacked at the end of the season, which remains the expectation despite his defiance last week when he insisted that he would see out the final year of his contract. The severance terms of that contract entitle him to 66 per cent of his existing salary unless he gets another job in football before June 2017, in which case the payments would cease. If he is sacked United will continue to pay Van Gaal two thirds of his salary — including the loyalty and image rights elements — on a monthly basis so it will cost them approximately £5 million to dismiss him.

So Utd saved about £2.5M by not sacking him half way through the season. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Definitely other reasons why they didn't sack him. I doubt there valid reasons though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

What I thought was strange is that Chelsea took him after us.

Chelsea took veron from us ;) they can't help themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

There is no top club in the world who would keep on LVG after this season. None. We are properly going backwards under him.

Teams who will definitely finish above us next season if he's in charge: Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs. Debatable: West Ham, Southampton, Leicester.

If he does stay in charge it's a disgrace and a farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A crowdfunding page to raise funds to pay off LVG has been set up.

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/louis-van-gaal-retirement-package

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

zerks wrote: »

That's almost as pathetic as flying a banner over a stadium. Almost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

set one up for me..... If ye get to €1000, I promise you will never see the word Fellaini typed from me ever again and I will quit boards :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

bangkok wrote: »
    set one up for me..... If ye get to €1000, I promise you will never see the word Fellaini typed from me ever again and I will quit boards :p

So you basically want us to pay you €1k to f*ck off? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Won't we lose out on money from the adidas deal if we don't finish 4th? Plus at this stage if we get 4th it will mean city miss out so that's a reason in itself!
    Plus LVG stays ;) It's a win win win situation ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Plus LVG stays ;) It's a win win win situation ;)

What else is in his contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't think we would lose out on money from the adidas deal. IIRC the stipulation comes in if we miss out on the CL two seasons in a row. We were in it this season, so would be due full money next season. If we failed to qualify again next season then we would see a drop in revenue.

Though maybe the leaked terms I read (a while ago at this point) were incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

TheTownie wrote: »
    So Utd saved about £2.5M by not sacking him half way through the season. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Definitely other reasons why they didn't sack him. I doubt there valid reasons though.

I think that, quite simply, the club doesn't want to be seen as a "sacking club" so have a fear of getting rid of managers midseason. I dont think there's any financial aspect to it; the board just want to be seen as a top club who give managers every chance possible,in spite of the damage THAT does to the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I think that, quite simply, the club doesn't want to be seen as a "sacking club" so have a fear of getting rid of managers midseason. I dont think there's any financial aspect to it; the board just want to be seen as a top club who give managers every chance possible,in spite of the damage THAT does to the club.

Very good point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

As a Liverpool fan I hope he stays.
    But I can't see him staying as I think a big reason is how poor the football has been. There will also be pressure from sponsors who don't want to be associated with boring football unless it was succesful. Only chance he stays is if he makes the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think you're right.

Problem I have is I don't give **** about if others slag us cause we are " sacking club"

It's so God dam clear he is putting the club backwards and we need to change that in summer.

**** our reputation, don't care what others say about us once it's good for the club is all that matters

I think it's down to the youth its the only thing I see that makes sense.

The sacking club thing yeh some might say it looks bad but to a big company which is what united is if they are unhappy with lvg they sack him.

But If they have laid out to him at start of his contract look the plan is to build a squad and youth setup for the future, we want you to buy the best young talented players in and promote young players from the youths that in a few years time will be capable of winning on a major level well he ticks them boxs forr the most.

I remember lvgs plan at start of his first presser was first year get Top four, second year was challenge for a "title" and third season was win the league. Now the blind fan two years ago title ment league title but to a united fan now knowing lvg a title means a trophie.

If the club are ignoring style of play which it looks like they have well then as far as they are concerened he is on track but to the fans and too me it is the most depressing scenario possible I can't see how he is going through change anything over the summer that will turn them into safely a top four team let alone league champions.

If lvg stays this summer which I'm so certain he will well we can also look forward to giggs next season as manager because that was the plan and it dont look like the board gonna be persuade otherwise unless we finish in bottom half of table next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Look at Liverpool as an example of being proactive,the club was floundering under Rodgers and his bullsh1t soundbites so they sacked him and got Klopp who has gotten the same bunch of players to a European final.Nobody has called them a "sacking club" despite having sacked several managers over the last few years.
    If somebody isn't doing their job as expected then they deserve to be sacked,we won't automatically become Real Madrid because we sacked 2 underperforming managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I wouldn't be overly upset keeping LVG. I mean he's made a lot of bad decisions but it's close to working at the moment and the right couple of players and the squad is looking fairly good for the future. A top right winger and a dynamic number 10 or attacking centre mid would make the world of difference to the team in an attacking sense. Should be looking at the likes of Rodriguez or Isco from Madrid for the number 10 and test the waters with Griezmann or Muller for the right. If they don't work out there's a lot of upgrades on whats there already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Liam O wrote: »
    I wouldn't be overly upset keeping LVG. I mean he's made a lot of bad decisions but it's close to working at the moment and the right couple of players and the squad is looking fairly good for the future. A top right winger and a dynamic number 10 or attacking centre mid would make the world of difference to the team in an attacking sense. Should be looking at the likes of Rodriguez or Isco from Madrid for the number 10 and test the waters with Griezmann or Muller for the right. If they don't work out there's a lot of upgrades on whats there already.

We said the same last season, heading into last summer and look at how this season has turned out.

I honestly can't see any reason to think next season would be any different under LVG. He doesn't consider the failures of this season to be his fault - the injuries cost us the title and they, and their impact are not his fault. Not converting the two chances we create in a match is the fault of the strikers for not being good enough, nothing to do with the strikers he selected for his squad. Best of all, the fans simply don't understand the game and our expectations are too high, we should consider following up finishing 4th with finishing (maybe) 5th as a good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

LVG fully backed Rooney to be our 25+ goals a season striker.

That call alone means he should be sent packing.

Any manager can have bad luck with injuries, but he had already seen Rooney playing and training for a full year and built the team around him being the 25+ sticker. How could an experienced manager get things so terribly wrong?

That would be a sackable offence in any job

Your suffering from a touch of Stockholm syndrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Look at Liverpool as an example of being proactive,the club was floundering under Rodgers and his bullsh1t soundbites so they sacked him and got Klopp who has gotten the same bunch of players to a European final.Nobody has called them a "sacking club" despite having sacked several managers over the last few years.
    If somebody isn't doing their job as expected then they deserve to be sacked,we won't automatically become Real Madrid because we sacked 2 underperforming managers.

I don't think a team that sacked a manager in 10th to hire one that has gotten them to 8th after 27 (of 35) matches is a good example. Especially as there is a club that sacked its manager when in 16th and are now up to 9th with 8 less games since the sacking of their manager.

Then again most here want that manager hired for United....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

MagicIRL wrote: »
    That's almost as pathetic as flying a banner over a stadium. Almost.

I would pay towards a banner. Another year of LvG doesn't just mean bad football. It also increases the liklihood of Giggs as Jose will be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

jayo26 wrote: »
    Your suffering from a touch of Stockholm syndrome.

Arsenal and City haven't been much better than United this season despite having better and more settled squads with fewer injuries. I have always been more of a fan of stability over changing though i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

There is no top club in the world who would keep on LVG after this season. None.

Arsenal.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Arsenal and City haven't been much better than United this season despite having better and more settled squads with fewer injuries. I have always been more of a fan of stability over changing though i guess.

Stability is not about improving, Its about not getting worse.

I would prefer a manager who will step outside the comfort zone and make a difference to the club.

We are only fighting for top 4 because the teams above us are messing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I`m actually astonished that anybody(thats supports Utd) could be content with Van Gaal being in charge for another season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm not sure there is anything I could even say to somebody that thinks Van Gaal should stay another year, its just not a rational position to take.

if van gaal gets top 4 this season and also wins the fa cup it would be very hard to see the board sack him

• Advertisement

I understand but city are hiring one of the best managers in the world in the summer and have alot of cash with ffp restrictions loosened.

Arsenal are doing what they have done for the past 12 years thats nothing new look where stability has got them?

Chelsea are getting a very passionate and tactically astute manager that may very well turn Into an excellent appointment.

Spurs have an excellent young manager and squad and are already ahead of us.

LVG is doing now what he has done at every club he has been at the last 20 years it worked in Germany and Spain and Holland but in England there is too much competition the Midtable clubs in England are alot better then the Midtable clubs in any of them leagues, they know how to play against United's tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

if van gaal gets top 4 this season and also wins the fa cup it would be very hard to see the board sack him

What should be done and what the board will do may not be the same thing.

The board may find it hard to sack him, but he absolutely should be sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Why so? Scraping fourth two years in a row is far, far below the standard that should be expected at Man United.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    LVG fully backed Rooney to be our 25+ goals a season striker.

That call alone means he should be sent packing.

Any manager can have bad luck with injuries, but he had already seen Rooney playing and training for a full year and built the team around him being the 25+ sticker. How could an experienced manager get things so terribly wrong?

That would be a sackable offence in any job

Get-Away-From-The-Computer-Funny-Lol-Meme-Picture.jpg

Why so? Scraping fourth two years in a row is far, far below the standard that should be expected at Man United.

yes not what was expected, but nobody could have predicted the amount of injuries we had this season, Luke Shaw's terrible injury etc.

Also whats in his favour is the development of youth players, Rashford, Borthwich Jackson, Fosu Mensah, Lingard etc

Bangkok, You think making such a fundamental miscall on a player is not a bad thing?

Surely the main point of a manger is to be able to evaluate players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Not even going to bother.

Bangkok, You think making such a fundamental miscall on a player is not a bad thing?

van Gaal gave rooney a boost of confidence before the season saying he trusts him as no1 striker and he can score 25 goals this season. It didn't happen, hardly a sackable offence in fairness

Mourinho signed Falcao for Chelsea even though he was brutal with United, does that mean he shouldn't get United job as he wasn't able to evaluate the player??

van Gaal gave rooney a boost of confidence before the season saying he trusts him as no1 striker and he can score 25 goals this season. It didn't happen, hardly a sackable offence in fairness

Boost in confidence yeah, but he also sold the other strikers as he felt he didn't need them. He clearly felt Rooney could do it. Now either that is a terrible misjudgement or he set up the team in such a way as to be completely wrong for Rooney to do it.

Either way it calls into question the decision making of the manager.

When someones hitches their wagon to one thing it is not unfair to judge them on that outcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's crazy how there is even a question about whether Van Gaal should be sacked or not. If the league stays the same order and Liverpool win the Europa there will be 5 teams more successful than us this season in our own league despite us spending 250 million. The FA cup will just set us apart from the other teams in the nothing spaces between 5-17.

We are a club in complete free fall

• Advertisement

Boost in confidence yeah, but he also sold the other strikers as he felt he didn't need them. He clearly felt Rooney could do it. Now either that is a terrible misjudgement or he set up the team in such a way as to be completely wrong for Rooney to do it.

Either way it calls into question the decision making of the manager.

When someones hitches their wagon to one thing it is not unfair to judge them on that outcome

so in your opinion a manager should be sacked for saying a player will score a certain amount of goals for the team and when he doesn't he should be sacked because of it?!

there are plenty of things to sack the manager for, that above is definitely not one of them

We're crying for jose to come in and he made a terrible miss call on kdb? Fergie made some bad miss calls too sh1t happens its lvgs tactics im worried about most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

so in your opinion a manager should be sacked for saying a player will score a certain amount of goals for the team and when he doesn't he should be sacked because of it?!

there are plenty of things to sack the manager for, that above is definitely not one of them

In all fairness that's not what he's saying and we can all clearly see that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Giggs' house has been vandalised with comments like "Was she worth it?" and "Giggs Cheating T***"

https://twitter.com/theawayfans/status/728551884278140928

In all fairness that's not what he's saying and we can all clearly see that.

"LVG fully backed Rooney to be our 25+ goals a season striker.

That call alone means he should be sent packing."

exactly what he said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

My money's on the missus :pac:

Giggs' house has been vandalised with comments like "Was she worth it?" and "Giggs Cheating T***"

https://twitter.com/theawayfans/status/728551884278140928

disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

"LVG fully backed Rooney to be our 25+ goals a season striker.

That call alone means he should be sent packing."

exactly what he said

Because at that stage many said rooney wasn't playing great and was gambling big on him finding form again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

disgraceful

Giggs or the guys that did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What Giggs did left my own begrudge for the man forever more.

He only human but to do it to your own brother is low as you can get

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement