Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

There are of course many reasons for managers to be sacked, many of them are down to results and fans feelings towards them.

In LVG's case, one of the glaring mistakes he made was to put all his eggs in the Rooney basket, firstly making him undroppable and then making him the only senior striker at the club, based on both Rooneys and his ascertain that he could be a 25+ a season striker. He either completely misjudged what he saw from Rooney in training or he blindly believed Rooney. Either way it has cost Utd dearly.

Rooney has seldom been that but LVG knew better, Well it turns out LVG doesn't know better and since this was one of his biggest decisions going into the season why would you think that he should not be held accountable for it.

This isn't like he got unlucky with injuries, lost a penalty shoot out, felt hard-done by from the refs or the scheduling.

LVG made this decision, and the fact that it is not only such a wrong decision, but all the evidence pointed to it being a wrong decision that it calls into question the very nature of his ability to make decisions.

It is of course not the only reason, but it is one of the most glaringly obvious.

You can say he was trying to give Rooney confidence, well even that didn't work. Other managers can fall back on good decisions when others go wrong, but LVG has not made many good decisions and this decision stinks of a manager so out of touch with reality that you worry if he is afforded any more time at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

zerks wrote: »
    Look at Liverpool as an example of being proactive,the club was floundering under Rodgers and his bullsh1t soundbites so they sacked him and got Klopp who has gotten the same bunch of players to a European final.Nobody has called them a "sacking club" despite having sacked several managers over the last few years.
    If somebody isn't doing their job as expected then they deserve to be sacked,we won't automatically become Real Madrid because we sacked 2 underperforming managers.

go aan the zerks! up oura dah!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Leroy42 wrote: »
    There are of course many reasons for managers to be sacked, many of them are down to results and fans feelings towards them.

In LVG's case, one of the glaring mistakes he made was to put all his eggs in the Rooney basket, firstly making him undroppable and then making him the only senior striker at the club, based on both Rooneys and his ascertain that he could be a 25+ a season striker. He either completely misjudged what he saw from Rooney in training or he blindly believed Rooney. Either way it has cost Utd dearly.

Rooney has seldom been that but LVG knew better, Well it turns out LVG doesn't know better and since this was one of his biggest decisions going into the season why would you think that he should not be held accountable for it.

This isn't like he got unlucky with injuries, lost a penalty shoot out, felt hard-done by from the refs or the scheduling.

LVG made this decision, and the fact that it is not only such a wrong decision, but all the evidence pointed to it being a wrong decision that it calls into question the very nature of his ability to make decisions.

It is of course not the only reason, but it is one of the most glaringly obvious.

You can say he was trying to give Rooney confidence, well even that didn't work. Other managers can fall back on good decisions when others go wrong, but LVG has not made many good decisions and this decision stinks of a manager so out of touch with reality that you worry if he is afforded any more time at the club.

I can remember many of us posting that it was a huge risk especially with Rooney's injury record. LvG had already had one year to assess his players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Giggs' house has been vandalised with comments like "Was she worth it?" and "Giggs Cheating T***"

https://twitter.com/theawayfans/status/728551884278140928

Giggs needs to leave the club and sort out his personal life.

And hopefully never come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

J. Marston wrote: »

Very very small minded comment.

Whatever giggs has done in his private life are none of our business he has indeed made some mistakes but he has not committed a crime.

Giggs is a club legend he has given his all for the club some of the comments from fans like yourself are discusting.

I would love to see giggs as manager of united one day. Yes he does need to leave the club and gain experience but if he is anyway successful at all id love him back or even if he was to be just a coach we need professionals like him around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

jayo26 wrote: »
    Very very small minded comment.

Whatever giggs has done in his private life are none of our business he has indeed made some mistakes but he has not committed a crime.

Giggs is a club legend he has given his all for the club some of the comments from fans like yourself are discusting.

I would love to see giggs as manager of united one day. Yes he does need to leave the club and gain experience but if he is anyway successful at all id love him back or even if he was to be just a coach we need professionals like him around.

Maybe, but it's public knowledge now and just because he played football well for United for a long time doesn't mean I have to willingly blind myself to what a vile individual he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Leroy42 wrote: »

If he genuinely believed in Rooney to still be a top level striker (which so many on here seem to - I don't) then making him the no.1 starting the season is understandable. What is not understandable is to not have someone there to push him, give him a rest, cover when he's injured or suspended - other than wingers and midfielders playing in there instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

What horrible security gates Giggs has for his house, those gates needed painting anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

J. Marston wrote: »

Wtf, the man is a club legend!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

bangkok wrote: »
    Wtf, the man is a club legend!!!!
    We could definitely use a break from him though, he's apparently not been acting like such a legend around the club since retiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

jayo26 wrote: »

I would love to see giggs as manager of united one day.

Well, if the only requirement for the job is to be a club legend then there is still quite a few people ahead of Giggs in the queue. If actual managerial ability doesn't factor then give the job to Cantona or Robson.

Well, if the only requirement for the job is to be a club legend then there is still quite a few people ahead of Giggs in the queue. If actual managerial ability doesn't factor then give the job to Cantona or Robson.

I didn't say anything about his credentials that he should get the job I said he would need to leave the club and if he was successful but you must not of Read that bit tho because your little excited copy and paste finger stopped after you seen what you wanted to see.

As I said before it would be a disaster if he got the job after lvg but that dont mean I wouldnt love to see him as manager somewhere in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

At least Robson had the guts to go and manage elsewhere aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Antibac wrote: »
    At least Robson had the guts to go and manage elsewhere aswell

Well to be fair if you retire in the first few years of Fergusons reign with th club on a huge upward curve, you really have no choice.

I'm no fan of the idea of Giggs as manager but the circumstances are completely different now and he's probably playing it right with regards to hanging around a as assistant hoping to get the nod. He may never get a better opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

If they were the only 2 candidates.
    Giggs or van Gaal next season?

If they were the only 2 candidates.
    Giggs or van Gaal next season?

Giggs.

adox wrote: »
    Giggs.

You would have me in ahead of van Gaal adox :pac:

The sad thing is, I was really excited when he took over. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

yup same as me

What a ****ing let down

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Oh to be excited by United again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If it was a poster from here going in it'd be Pro. F tbf.

If it was a poster from here going in it'd be Pro. F tbf.

We could have a midfield pairing of Jack Cork and Leon Britton. Do you really want that?
    #VoteFlint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

We could have a midfield pairing of Jack Cork and Leon Britton. Do you really want that?
    #VoteFlint

But only until it didn't work and then he'd have a rigorously researched list of replacements lined up. #ProF4Lyfe

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

Just realised that there is no hope of me seeing the FA cup final.

I am away with the family for the weekend for my sister's 30th birthday and kick off is just before the kids go to bed, so there is more chance of he'll freezing over than the wife sending me off to the pub while I leave her with our 2, my mum, my sister, and her wee fella

But only until it didn't work and then he'd have a rigorously researched list of replacements lined up. #ProF4Lyfe

Afraid not. History tells us he will stick to his guns :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I am away with the family for the weekend for my sister's 30th birthday and kick off is just before the kids go to bed, so there is more chance of he'll freezing over than the wife sending me off to the pub while I leave her with our 2, my mum, my sister, and her wee fella

Give her no choice, walk off down to the pub and enjoy yourself, might get the cold shoulder in the morning but she'll get over it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

My nephew said to me a few days ago, 'You were really excited when Van Gaal was appointed'. This was after I had said that I would like a new manager next season.

That said I think the biggest problem of the Van Gaal era has been no top striker in the team, and is something a new manager or Van Gaal will have to address. I do think Van Gaal tried to address it with Falcao, but then for this season we signed only Martial when we needed one more for up front.
    This is why I would like Griezmann plus one more as the front line needs a revamp.
    We will need to get rid of Van Gaal for Ibrahimovic to come in my opinion, though AC Milan seem to be on the radar for him.
    But whoever is manager they need to buy proven goalscorers: a striker and right winger.
    Rashford looks good but would rather he played a bit less as he gains more experience. At the moment he is a vital player in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Can you phone in dead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Billy86 wrote: »
    We could definitely use a break from him though, he's apparently not been acting like such a legend around the club since retiring.

what do you mean? what has he done??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

RobertKK wrote: »
    That said I think the biggest problem of the Van Gaal era has been no top striker in the team
    I think the striking department is just one of many problems, to the point that very little would be different had we Suarez or Aguero up front. They would of course get us points and win us games we would not otherwise have won, but having better strikers wouldn't change the fundamental issues relating to our attacking style and mentality.

Put it like this, if we could have had either a top manager or a top striker in January, the top manager would have made the most difference. Keep LVG and add Aguero and we could have made 3rd/4th, keep the same squad and add Mourinho and we could have made a title push.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-transfer-news-januzaj-11297800#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Manchester United forward Januzaj subbed at half-time in U21 win vs Chelsea

Adnan Januzaj's Manchester United career was plunged into further doubt after he was substituted at half-time in the Under-21s' win at Chelsea.

Januzaj did not appear to be injured and a spectator at Stamford Bridge informed the M.E.N. that U21 coach Warren Joyce 'spent the whole half b********g Januzaj'. On one occasion when Joyce was screaming at the Belgian, Januzaj was seen to just shrug in response.

The 21-year-old has made just two cameo appearances since he returned from an ill-fated loan spell at Borussia Dortmund in January and is unlikely to feature in United's four remaining fixtures in the Premier League and FA Cup final.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him sold in the summer. Shame as he has a lot of potential.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-transfer-news-januzaj-11297800#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Manchester United forward Januzaj subbed at half-time in U21 win vs Chelsea

Adnan Januzaj's Manchester United career was plunged into further doubt after he was substituted at half-time in the Under-21s' win at Chelsea.

Januzaj did not appear to be injured and a spectator at Stamford Bridge informed the M.E.N. that U21 coach Warren Joyce 'spent the whole half b********g Januzaj'. On one occasion when Joyce was screaming at the Belgian, Januzaj was seen to just shrug in response.

The 21-year-old has made just two cameo appearances since he returned from an ill-fated loan spell at Borussia Dortmund in January and is unlikely to feature in United's four remaining fixtures in the Premier League and FA Cup final.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him sold in the summer. Shame as he has a lot of potential.

I wouldn't be too bothered simply because he doesn't seem to be either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

A draw would be typical of us tomorrow

A draw would be typical of us tomorrow

Given our away form, and how hard Norwich will be fighting, a draw would be a good result for us :(

Saw these stats on Reddit.

United have not won a Premier League match outside of Manchester since January.
    They have claimed one victory in their last five top-flight away games (D1, L3) - that was 1-0 at Manchester City on 20 March.
    Louis van Gaal's side have scored just four goals in their last six Premier League away matches.

• Advertisement

Yeah but it's Norwich.

Bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Bump

Who beat us at Old Trafford and only lost in the last minute to Arsenal last game

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Who beat us at Old Trafford and only lost in the last minute to Arsenal last game

? Welbeck scored in 59th minute?

ShooterSF wrote: »

I refer you to my last post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

RobertKK wrote: »
    My nephew said to me a few days ago, 'You were really excited when Van Gaal was appointed'. This was after I had said that I would like a new manager next season.

That said I think the biggest problem of the Van Gaal era has been no top striker in the team, and is something a new manager or Van Gaal will have to address. I do think Van Gaal tried to address it with Falcao, but then for this season we signed only Martial when we needed one more for up front.
    This is why I would like Griezmann plus one more as the front line needs a revamp.
    We will need to get rid of Van Gaal for Ibrahimovic to come in my opinion, though AC Milan seem to be on the radar for him.
    But whoever is manager they need to buy proven goalscorers: a striker and right winger.
    Rashford looks good but would rather he played a bit less as he gains more experience. At the moment he is a vital player in the team.

The biggest problem of the Van Gaal era has been Van Gaal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Donerkebab wrote: »
    ? Welbeck scored in 59th minute?

On fairness that usually is last minute for Arsenal ;)

• When you wake up and realise the wedding you are attending is on at the same time as the match

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5A0m4w_zviWTB3BnC2wmh9T1qZHVffITHd8BXrF2hi-EChPLF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    When you wake up and realise the wedding you are attending is on at the same time as the match

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5A0m4w_zviWTB3BnC2wmh9T1qZHVffITHd8BXrF2hi-EChPLF

Should you not be happy that you don't have to watch United?

You can have fun at the wedding instead of pulling your hair out and screaming at the TV at home ;)

It's only Norwich M!Ck^. You go and enjoy your day. We will put in the donkey work here.

Predictions for today? I'm going with 0-5.

Predictions for today? I'm going with 0-5.

Considering we have scored 4 away goals in our last six games, I think that's a tad optimistic.

1-2 with a scrappy win for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Martial brace for 2-0

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Considering we have scored 4 away goals in our last six games, I think that's a tad optimistic.

1-2 with a scrappy win for us.

Yeah but it's Norwich.

Yeah but it's Norwich.

You are right. Probably a draw is more realistic :pac:

Good old Phil Jones went off with hamstring injury again last night in the u21s. It's really not looking good for him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement