Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

The silence speaks volumes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    In at 50!

I'm surprised at this stage that the club still hasn't said anything considering what's on SSN this morning.

What was on SSN this morning?

• Quandary wrote: »
    What was on SSN this morning?

Jaysus we are josejumpy this morning!
    I mean the report about yer wan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Giggs as next manager stories just won't go away will they?

It really does give off the feeling of a divided board,lacking leadership which is ripping apart the club right from the top down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Giggs as next manager stories just won't go away will they?

It really does give off the feeling of a divided board,lacking leadership which is ripping apart the club right from the top down.

You say this because of an article written by nobody journalists who work for the Sun?

I didn't see anyone else mention Giggs for the job recently.

• Giggs as next manager stories just won't go away will they?

It really does give off the feeling of a divided board,lacking leadership which is ripping apart the club right from the bottom down.

Seriously Homer

It's like reading the obituaries on repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

gosplan wrote: »
    No you're correct. It's probably a bad choice of phrasing on my part.

What I meant to say was that it appears that after three years when a Jose team needs some change or a shot in the arm, he can't quote manage it.

But that's what made Fergie so special.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm saying he would leave you in three years or so with a better squad, a trophy and a great home record.

If I was Man U chairman, I'd approach Poch and Simeone. If they say no, go with Jose and then go straight back to them saying 'we want you next'

I agree that if we sign him he will stay for max 3 years.

Also I wouldn't use his 3 years at Chelsea and Madrid against him as no other manager have managed more than 2 years at both clubs in the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

billyhead wrote: »
    I would also like to see them approach the Juve manager Allegri

No experience in the PL, why would you go with him rather than a man that has proven himself a winner already.

We have seen countless times, LVG being the latest example, of how tough it appears for managers outside the PL to come in hit the ground running.

Allegri may well be a great manager, I'm not certain, but can we take another 2 or 3 years where he finds his feet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Blatter wrote: »
    You say this because if an article written by nobody journalists who work for the Sun?

I put 20 quid on him yesterday to get the job at 8/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

United are desperate with two failed appointments. The next one has to work or board level changes will occur Imo.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Seriously Homer

It's like reading the obituaries on repeat

I know, and its ****ing sickening that the club won't do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Why is everyone so certain Jose will leave after 3 years? He stated something along the lines of the culture and passion of the PL is his favorite before becoming Chelsea manager for the second time. Most importantly, it's common knowledge he's wanted the United job for years.

If he ever wanted to build a legacy at a club (why wouldn't he?), this is where he'd choose to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So half the English press has Jose to United,the other half say the club will go with Giggs.The media across the Continent are sticking with Jose-I know which papers I'd believe.
    If the English press have shown anything it's their constant switching of stories,they seem to be clueless for the most part where the foreign sources seem to have their fingers on the pulse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Why is everyone so certain Jose will leave after 3 years? He stated something along the lines of the culture and passion of the PL is his favorite before becoming Chelsea manager for the second time. Most importantly, it's common knowledge he's wanted the United job for years.

If he ever wanted to build a legacy at a club (why wouldn't he?), this is where he'd choose to do it.

Of course it makes sense for him to stay longer, rehash his teams and rebuild.

It also makes sense for me to become a millionaire.

That's not to say either of us are capable of doing it.

This isn't to say Jose is special in this regard. Very few managers can have an impact beyond 3/4 years at a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Personally I've no problem with Jose for three years. Sure we knew the maximum we were getting out of Van Gaal when he signed up was three years.

I totally understand the argument for not wanting him, based on the person he is and his antics but whether he stays beyond three years is an irrelevance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I think we're at the stage where we need to stop worrying about what may or may not happen in 3 years time and start worrying about right now. LVG is doing damage that will take a long time to repair. We are going to miss out on CL football again next season and despite spending 250m we still have a substandard squad in need of an overhaul. We need to start winning trophies again soon or we risk slipping into obscurity. We are so far behind the likes of Bayern and Barca it's frightening. Mourinho is the only manager with the ego, experience and Fergie-like presence that can come in and make us competitive and relevant again. He's a high profile manager that can probably attract a higher calibre of player to the club even without CL football. If he leaves in 3 years having delivered a title or two and having turned us into a European powerhouse again then it will have been a great appointment. We can chase the likes of Pochettino, Koeman, Allegri then for long term stability, assuming they are still successful. Right now, Mourinho is the only manager that give the club the shot in the arm it desperately needs.

adox wrote: »
    Personally I've no problem with Jose for three years. Sure we knew the maximum we were getting out of Van Gaal when he signed up was three years.

I totally understand the argument for not wanting him, based on the person he is and his antics but whether he stays beyond three years is an irrelevance.

I don't get the obsession with wanting more than 3 years,so what if he comes next week and rides off into the sunset in 2019 with a couple of EPL winners medals an ECL cup, FA Cup.I'd take that,better than what's happened since Fergie retired.The board should take it as a given he may leave in 3 years and plan accordingly because according to their record with Moyes (6th choice) and LVG (panic) they put zero planning into their appointments.

zerks wrote: »
    I don't get the obsession with wanting more than 3 years,so what if he comes next week and rides off into the sunset in 2019 with a couple of EPL winners medals an ECL cup, FA Cup.I'd take that,better than what's happened since Fergie retired.The board should take it as a given he may leave in 3 years and plan accordingly because according to their record with Moyes (6th choice) and LVG (panic) they put zero planning into their appointments.

Yeah, I think only United fans are worried about 3 year deals when every other club operate in the same way. Can't remember many clubs giving their manager more than 3-5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Just finished watching Sunday Supp. The Moratti sister story doesn't look like much according to the journalists on the show.

The lady apparently just joked to Mourinho 'you'll have a great time in Manchester' when they were leaving the restaurant. She wasn't there for the meal, just landed for the dessert.

Whoever is making sure these comments made the papers is up to mischief I'd say.

James Drucker, northern correspondent for The Times, thinks Woodward wants to avoid sacking LVG before the season ends at all costs. He is friendly with LVG, their wives are friends and he doesn't want United to become a sacking club. Drucker worries regarding the state United are in and says United are floundering, yet again, on this situation.

• Advertisement

Just finished watching Sunday Supp. The Moratti sister story doesn't look like much according to the journalists on the show.

The lady apparently just joked to Mourinho 'you'll have a great time in Manchester' when they were leaving the restaurant. She wasn't there for the meal, just landed for the dessert.

Whoever is making sure these comments made the papers is up to mischief I'd say.

James Drucker, northern correspondent for The Times, thinks Woodward wants to avoid sacking LVG before the season ends at all costs. He is friendly with LVG, their wives are friends and he doesn't want United to become a sacking club. Drucker worries regarding the state United are in and says United are floundering, yet again, on this situation.

Woodward is merely trying to save face,2 managerial appointments under him that haven't worked out,sacking LVG now would look like an admission of failure on his part where waiting until the end of the season would not look as bad,LVG can say his wife wants him to retire and Woodward can say he wasn't sacked then both save face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Whatever about winning titles, I just want to be able to enjoy the games again.
    It really is joyless these past few months.

If Jose joins, the time wasting, diving, harassment of referees, parking the bus etc. it will make for uncomfortable viewing.

United still have huge pull, not to mention money.
    I hope they get a top manager, who is not Jose or Giggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mourinho wasn't with her leaving the restaurant. It was an exchange between her and the Journos. There is a Video of it.. I linked it in the last thread. Its all over the Italian media.

They only person that made sure these comments made the media was Bedy Moratti. Heres the translation of the Video:

Journalist: How was the meeting?

Moratti: It was a pleasure, he's always fantastic

Journalist: Was he missed during this time? (the time he left inter)

Moratti: Well he was missed as a human being

Journalist: Never say never? (him signing with Inter)

Moratti: Ohhh, he's now happy, he's going to Manchester, and he's does well in doing so

Blatter wrote: »
    You say this because of an article written by nobody journalists who work for the Sun?

Eh? The discussion about Giggs is common, it is a very realistic possibility no matter how much we want to dismiss it. There are people outside the media and fanbase who are convinced Giggs is the boards choice for next manager, but they feel he is not ready yet-hence the delay in sacking LVG .

Given how our board have acted in the last 3 years and got almost every football issue wrong, appointing Giggs would be exactly the type of thing they are going to do.

ibe so little faith in our club right now, I'm half expecting it to be honest, the all out meltdown and anarchy that would follow would be hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Neymar has had £35 million worth of assets frozen in Brazil including property and a yacht.

Meanwhile Neymar had this to say:
    "I am an admirer of Guardiola and Mourinho."I have followed his work for many years.
    "However, my manager is Luis Enrique and I work for Barcelona."

The tax problems seems to grow. A very high salary might ease things...

Eh? The discussion about Giggs is common, it is a very realistic possibility no matter how much we want to dismiss it. There are people outside the media and fanbase who are convinced Giggs is the boards choice for next manager, but they feel he is not ready yet-hence the delay in sacking LVG .

Given how our board have acted in the last 3 years and got almost every football issue wrong, appointing Giggs would be exactly the type of thing they are going to do.

ibe so little faith in our club right now, I'm half expecting it to be honest, the all out meltdown and anarchy that would follow would be hilarious.

If Woodward wants superstars, he will need a superstar manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Whatever manager comes in needs to get in a leader for the team. We badly need a Robson - Keane - Bruce - Ince type of character in the team. We are like a bunch of pussies now when the going gets tough. No leaders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

There was a lot of Giggs talk before the last few weeks but since then around 90% of media reports and chatter have all been about Mourinho. The Giggs talk has died down an awful lot.

RobertKK wrote: »
    If Woodward wants superstars, he will need a superstar manager.

There won't be any super stars joining United without Champions league football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

There won't be any super stars joining United without Champions league football.

Just like Di Maria and Falcao? €€€ talks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Didn't seem to be a problem last time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

markc91 wrote: »
    Just like Di Maria and Falcao? €€€ talks

And where did that get us? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

madcabbage wrote: »

Hopefully Jose will spend it better ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

madcabbage wrote: »

It got us to a place where it was proved that we could sign superstars without CL football.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Robson99 wrote: »
    Whatever manager comes in needs to get in a leader for the team. We badly need a Robson - Keane - Bruce - Ince type of character in the team. We are like a bunch of pussies now when the going gets tough. No leaders

I thought Schweinsteiger could be that guy. Maybe LVG did too.

Didn't seem to be a problem last time around.

I think you will find it was a massive problem, we started the season without a signing in 7 weeks and ended up signing a player who didn't want to sign for us, for £65m with the season already underway.

Nobody else could afford him, nobody else could or wanted to pay falcaos wages. United had built up a massive cash reserve over the previous two years and knew there was a big shirt, tv and Chevrolet deal about to kick in so there was money to be spend to offset the future incomings. It didn't work.

Di Maria was an exception, people shouldn't be getting carried away and thinking money is the only thing players care about. There is zero indicication that suggest another scenario like Di Maria will present itself this Summer.

And to think 4 or 5 years ago United fans held the moral high ground over City and Chelsea when they adapted the same approach

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

I thought Schweinsteiger could be that guy. Maybe LVG did too.

So did I but he has offered us nothing and unlikely that he will. Think Pep was the smart one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I think most people knew Schweinsteiger was a poor buy for utd in terms of we needed a first team player not another squad player.

Schweinsteiger is a shadow of the player he was because of injuries unfortunately. I hate being right about him :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

RobertKK wrote: »
    Neymar has had £35 million worth of assets frozen in Brazil including property and a yacht.

Meanwhile Neymar had this to say:
    "I am an admirer of Guardiola and Mourinho."I have followed his work for many years.
    "However, my manager is Luis Enrique and I work for Barcelona."

The tax problems seems to grow. A very high salary might ease things...

I think more of a worry is Barcalona and their financial situation. There appears to be a real danger that one of Messi,Suarez or Neymar is going to come to heads with the club over salary improvements.

Youd think Barca would back Neymar to the hilt since he clearly looks the future, but indication seems to be hes the most likely to be cut lose? Crazy ****

• Advertisement

I believe a super star player would put up with being paid something like €25 million after tax for one year without CL.
    Look at it this way, imagine oneself as being Neymar. You are at Barcelona where Messi will always be viewed above you due to what he has already achieved. Then you have Suarez, another great player.
    Then look at your options, he could go to City and Guardiola, but Guardiola would get a lot of credit for success.
    He could move to United where success was common. Mourinho is not seen as being as good as Guardiola, so a player like Neymar would get more of the credit.
    Neymar and his father know United are the best supported team on planet Earth. So they now a move to United apart from much higher wages, would also make the Neymar brand much more valuable, and his father has talked about the importance of the Neymar brand.
    If we could get Neymar by making him the best paid player in the world, I think he would forfeit one year of CL football to use the United opportunity to make all his tax issues disappear, as I said previously, Messi's father looks like he is heading to jail, and now they want to get Messi himself.
    Getting out of Spain and sorting out the tax issues might be getting very tempting now, and for brand revenues, United would have to be the number one choice.
    It is hard to see it happening, but some of the stuff being said, makes me think it could happen.
    It has been claimed that United are prepared to pay Neymar £1 million a week if he leaves Barcelona.

I think you will find it was a massive problem, we started the season without a signing in 7 weeks and ended up signing a player who didn't want to sign for us, for £65m with the season already underway.

Nobody else could afford him, nobody else could or wanted to pay falcaos wages. United had built up a massive cash reserve over the previous two years and knew there was a big shirt, tv and Chevrolet deal about to kick in so there was money to be spend to offset the future incomings. It didn't work.

Di Maria was an exception, people shouldn't be getting carried away and thinking money is the only thing players care about. There is zero indicication that suggest another scenario like Di Maria will present itself this Summer.

And to think 4 or 5 years ago United fans held the moral high ground over City and Chelsea when they adapted the same approach

Champions league is not the be all and end all for all the players. Sure there are players who won't move to the club if they are not in CL but there are many players who moved clubs when they were convinced of the direction the club was moving.

If we hire Jose and can convince players about the direction club is heading then they can live without CL for a year.

When we were not in CL, we signed players from the club who were in CL. Money plays the biggest part along with the promises club makes to players about other recruitments.

For example, in 2010-11 season when City were in Europa they signed David Silva, Yaya Toure, Dzeko, Kolarov, Balotelli, Boateng. Before that season they signed Tevez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Plenty of good players going to China at the moment. Think there's way too much made of this "they won't come unless they are playing in champions league" talk. They'll come once they get a good wedge of money end of !

Not a fan of Jose by a long way but it's a worry looking at these players looking just a shadow of themselves at the minute. You have to wonder how a new manager is going to turn some of these players around in a pre season. Manager needs to come in now whoever he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

So basically, the claim that you made hasn't held true in the recent past, but you're still going to carry on behaving like it's an axiom. Cool.

So basically, the claim that you made hasn't held true in the recent past, but you're still going to carry on behaving like it's an axiom. Cool.

Ya, i must have missed all those super star players we have in our squad and that are queueing up to sign for us.

I should put it another way then, we struggle to sign world class players even with Champions League football, it will take exceptional circumstances (like Di Maria) to get them without it.

The only advantage maybe now is we may have Jose to attract them but as it stands, if it's LVG or Giggs managing us and Woodward doing the deals, we won't be signing much top class talent this summer.

But to hang on to this notion that because we signed one player for obscene money, the same will happen again, is very very naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

I think no CL and a moyes/lvg in charge is a problem. No CL and Jose in charge is different tbh and no point saying it isn't because big players want to play for him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Poor Homer right now.

tumblr_ljxqgtC1zr1qgpzvfo1_500.gif

Poor Homer right now.

Stick to the day job man, because comedy isn't your thing especially with your head firmly planted into the sand.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Poor Homer right now.

He might Be a bit ott but in fairness we are not exactly set up for future or anything they are a lot of work that do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

If Jose is the next manager I predict he will want to work with Ibrahimavic again and likewise with Zlatan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I laughed :D

Anyways seems Red Issue really went to pot on twitter the last half an hour. Crazy stuff they are coming out with and really wouldn't put it by the club if true

Too many tweets to link in on my phone.

https://twitter.com/RedIssue

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement