Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

im away on a stag for the west ham game and then have the wedding two weeks later for the Everton game, so have to miss both.

have 3 spare tickets for each game, if anybody wants them send me a PM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's going be good Paddy's Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

United have been hilariously sh*te, to the point that the football media can't stop talking about it. Yet despite that, they've still been less sh*te overall than Liverpool. United fans are well withing their rights to be confident, cocky even.

Well thats the thing as bad as we are Liverpool are just as bad and by there own admission the reason why klopp hasn't improved results is because the squad is so bad supposedly.

After all they only scraped past Augsberg by scoring a penalty in 180 minutes of football.

It Be grand like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Liverpool are due a result against us. As hilarious as it was, we no right to win that match at Anfield. Unless the team can continue to play like they did in the last 2 matches I could see Liverpool overturning us across two legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Why no press conference today ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Quandary wrote: »
    Liverpool are due a result against us. As hilarious as it was, we no right to win that match at Anfield. Unless the team can continue to play like they did in the last 2 matches I could see Liverpool overturning us across two legs.

I think they will go through tbh, I can already foretell what the place will be like no matter what happens.

Liverpool lose : sures its Rodgers team, United have spent £250 million so they should be beating us anyway

United lose : Klopp is a genius, how the mighty have fallen, they didn't want to win it anyway

And blah blah blah.

zorro2566 wrote: »
    helloo-GIF

Best of luck United, and keep it horny!

this is f*cking fantastic......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Great draw. Not too bothered with the Europa League, just don't see us being strong enough to win it but 2 more chances to beat Liverpool is very welcome.

Oh and almost everybody, it's "lose" not "loose"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

United have been hilariously sh*te, to the point that the football media can't stop talking about it. Yet despite that, they've still been less sh*te overall than Liverpool. United fans are well withing their rights to be confident, cocky even.

100% agree. I'm just saying I'm happy if the fans are cocky as I think we'll give you a game that maybe you're not expecting. It's well documented that we've been poorer in a league structure than in cup competitions for a long long time! I just get the feeling we'll treat a 2-leg knockout slightly different than the recent league games v Man U

So bring on the confidence! I'm all for it, much prefer to be the underdog going into this tie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

8-10 wrote: »
    100% agree. I'm just saying I'm happy if the fans are cocky as I think we'll give you a game that maybe you're not expecting. It's well documented that we've been poorer in a league structure than in cup competitions for a long long time! I just get the feeling we'll treat a 2-leg knockout slightly different than the recent league games v Man U

So bring on the confidence! I'm all for it, much prefer to be the underdog going into this tie

I'd probably prefer to be the underdog too tbf. It's much more painful to lose these when you're expecting to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Does anyone really think that the previous Liverpool games matter too much in terms of this one? We've both been pretty ****é and inconsistent. Anything can happen in this tie.

Meh to the part in bold. Beat Stoke on penalties in the Capital One, 1 shot on goal, a penalty, in a must win game yesterday against Bundesliga cannon fodder. Knocked out by West Ham in the FA Cup.
    That is the last 3 cup games yeah?

Julez wrote: »
    Does anyone really think that the previous Liverpool games matter too much in terms of this one? We've both been pretty ****é and inconsistent. Anything can happen in this tie.

LVG had Rodgers sussed, and this is still Rodgers team :pac::pac::pac: so we will be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

3 points ahead of Liverpool (thanks to a luck win in Anfield), Liverpool in a cup final, lol. There is nothing between these teams pal and this tie is a real 50/50 tie no doubt about that.

Any United Boards lads going to Euros? Going to first 2 games.

Meh to the part in bold. Beat Stoke on penalties in the Capital One, 1 shot on goal, a penalty, in a must win game yesterday against Bundesliga cannon fodder. Knocked out by West Ham in the FA Cup.
    That is the last 3 cup games yeah?

Talking much longer term than that. I'm saying we've been a better cup team than league team for years. Not saying we're an amazing cup team or anything - if that's what you thought I meant then apologies. We're a poor team overall these days. I'm saying that in my opinion if we play the same team twice in the league and twice in a cup at the later stages I'd fancy our cup chances better.

Your point is correct - we've had some luck getting through games in the cups recently. I just can't imagine as a fan that we'd play as badly as we did against you in the league in the EL games.

But sure we've never met in Europe ever anyway so I'm mostly talking out of my ear! It's going to be a good one. A lot will ride on what the injury lists on both side look like I reckon.

3 points ahead of Liverpool (thanks to a luck win in Anfield), Liverpool in a cup final, lol. There is nothing between these teams pal and this tie is a real 50/50 tie no doubt about that.

10094738.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Yeah I'm going the first 2 games too, you haven't any spare tickets by any chance? :D

Talking much longer term than that. I'm saying we've been a better cup team than league team for years. Not saying we're an amazing cup team or anything - if that's what you thought I meant then apologies. We're a poor team overall these days. I'm saying that in my opinion if we play the same team twice in the league and twice in a cup at the later stages I'd fancy our cup chances better.

Your point is correct - we've had some luck getting through games in the cups recently. I just can't imagine as a fan that we'd play as badly as we did against you in the league in the EL games.

But sure we've never met in Europe ever anyway so I'm mostly talking out of my ear! It's going to be a good one. A lot will ride on what the injury lists on both side look like I reckon.

Go back far enough and they were a great league team ;)
    This current crop haven't taken any big scalps in a cup to the best of my recollection. I get what you're saying, I just don't agree that Kenny Dalglish or Rafa Benitez's cup runs have any bearing on this campaign.

Juan8 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm going the first 2 games too, you haven't any spare tickets by any chance? :D

Not anymore, tbf I got them through mate who goes to all games. Funny we were hoping to get 4 each, but three of the 4 of us who applied got 4 tickets each, per match, I'm not saying who was odd one out ;)

I'll keep head out just in case of cancellation though but doubt it now.

• Advertisement

Ah, I still had a bit of a glow about me from last night's performance and result. Then, the reality hit that United could quite possibly slip below West Ham in the league this weekend. With them playing Sunderland at home and sitting one point behind us on 40, we need to match their result or better it. Likewise with Southampton who are also on 40, with a home game against Chelsea. There's a chance we could be sitting in 7th by Sunday. Ugh, 7th. *shivers*

Big game against Arsenal coming up and unfortunately, catching up with them in the league is very little to do with it.

Go back far enough and they were a great league team ;)
    This current crop haven't taken any big scalps in a cup to the best of my recollection. I get what you're saying, I just don't agree that Kenny Dalglish or Rafa Benitez's cup runs have any bearing on this campaign.

Yeah no I know I'm just not dreading this one like the league games. Maybe irrational I guess.

But really I think this is the dream draw for both of us. I thought a softer draw would have been nice but thinking about it the Augsberg games were pretty drab especially the away leg and the same for United away too. Then drawing Dortmund or Shaktar or Sevilla doesn't sound like much craic either as we'd certainly lose. I think for interest in the EL, this is the perfect draw and whoever gets through will fancy themselves to go further

Hopefully we have a few injured warriors back before 10th of match rojo looked lively the other night when he got a run out. Smalling should be back along with memphis hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jayo26 wrote: »
    Hopefully we have a few injured warriors back before 10th of match rojo looked lively the other night when he got a run out. Smalling should be back along with memphis hopefully.

I thought Memphis was a disgrace and not fit to play in the U21?

On a serious note though how long is De Gea and Martial out? I'd feel more confident if they weren't playing against us.

emmetkenny wrote: »

On a serious note though how long is De Gea and Martial out? I'd feel more confident if they weren't playing against us.

Martial was withdrawn as a precaution, so there's a chance he could play Sunday.

DDG should be fit to play also, and hopefully will in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

DeGea should be back against Arsenal or next week at latest and Martial was just a tight hamstring so should be back by next week too

Edit:Beaten to it.

stankratz wrote: »
    Martial was withdrawn as a precaution, so there's a chance he could play Sunday.

DDG should be fit to play also, and hopefully will in that case.

Cheers for that guys. Hopefully Sturridge and Coutinho will stay fit for us and we might threaten a bit more than the last two games.

PS was very jealous you lot got Memphis he's a super talent and he will come good once Van Gaal is gone.

I actually ment to say martial haha. But yehh if last night's memphis turns up it would be something more for ye to think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Not anymore, tbf I got them through mate who goes to all games. Funny we were hoping to get 4 each, but three of the 4 of us who applied got 4 tickets each, per match, I'm not saying who was odd one out ;)

I'll keep head out just in case of cancellation though but doubt it now.

You've a good chance of getting a Sweden ticket in the resale portal from what I've heard,

I applied myself and didn't get a thing, I've a decent record of going to games but don't do aways so that went against me,

So if the resale portal doesn't go well for me I'll be stuck paying €550 or so for the Sweden and Belgium tickets on Viagogo :eek:

Sure if we get no tickets being there is better than here I suppose :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

PS was very jealous you lot got Memphis he's a super talent and he will come good once Van Gaal is gone.

I don't think you can blame LVG for the most part when it comes down to the inconsistency of Memphis. That pretty much lies at the players door. I don't have the inside track on the boy but he seems to have a bit of growing up to do and has to realize that for all his talent he needs to actually fulfill it on the pitch to stay at this club and the top echelons of the game and develop his talent.. I think also he is super talented just needs a kick in the hole and some tough love...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Could see it catching on :D

Juan8 wrote: »
    You've a good chance of getting a Sweden ticket in the resale portal from what I've heard,

I applied myself and didn't get a thing, I've a decent record of going to games but don't do aways so that went against me,

So if the resale portal doesn't go well for me I'll be stuck paying €550 or so for the Sweden and Belgium tickets on Viagogo :eek:

Sure if we get no tickets being there is better than here I suppose :D

Ya I know just few who have season ticket and go to few away games. We were very hopeful after 1 of lads had been to least 2 away games, for every qualification, since 2007, so we knew we had good chance of tickets then

1st and 3rd for me......nothing booked yet though, just have the match tickets.

Strumms wrote: »
    I don't think you can blame LVG for the most part when it comes down to the inconsistency of Memphis. That pretty much lies at the players door. I don't have the inside track on the boy but he seems to have a bit of growing up to do and has to realize that for all his talent he needs to actually fulfill it on the pitch to stay at this club and the top echelons of the game and develop his talent.. I think also he is super talented just needs a kick in the hole and some tough love...

He has to shoulder a good portion of the blame.

Depay was always a very attacking player in Holland and Van Gaal has gotten rid of that from the whole United team.

He's a new player in a new team(a team as a whole who are not preforming near to the level they can) playing a completly different style to what he's used to. Its been a though change for him and he has been below par but give him time and don't write him off after one season.

• Advertisement

• Any United Boards lads going to Euros? Going to first 2 games.

Me, but I'm going to the last 1
    *edit* we discussed this before oops :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

1st and 3rd for me......nothing booked yet though, just have the match tickets.

Have flights booked but all 6 of us came up short on the tickets. Very annoying.

• Liam O wrote: »
    Have flights booked but all 6 of us came up short on the tickets. Very annoying.

Unlucky dude, pure ****ing lottery it was

The craic will be savage regardless

Liam O wrote: »

You be surprised you'll pick tickets up over there, trust me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You be surprised you'll pick tickets up over there, trust me.

You will, Get to one of the Irish bars early there or even put the feelers out night before the game around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ah yeah we got sorted out on the portal last time, only problem is that ran for a lot longer and we knew the rules back then. Who knows what's going to be up with it this time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Marcus Rashford broke George Best's 51 year old record to become the clubs youngest goalscorer in Europe, didn't know that until just now. Fair play to the lad, will surely make it even more special to him :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Marcus Rashford broke George Best's 51 year old record to become the clubs youngest goalscorer in Europe, didn't know that until just now. Fair play to the lad, will surely make it even more special to him :)

Where does he rank overall in Europe?

Rashford an unused substitute way back in November. Hadn't realised that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Rashford an unused substitute way back in November. Hadn't realised that.

You sir are a legend, clicking on that reminded me that i need to set my FF :D

astradave wrote: »
    You sir are a legend, clicking on that reminded me that i need to set my FF :D

Glad to be of service :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Sorting my team for FF just noticed Riley isn't in the squad for us :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

League is back! Been a while. Can't go up the table this weekend but can go down :( Can end the weekend between 5th and 7th.

West Ham vs Sunderland at 12:45 today. I think a draw for West Ham puts them above us; we're on even goal difference so it would go to goals scored, right? GD is +9, we have 33 scored, they have 40.

Southampton vs Chelsea at 15:00. A draw for Southampton would put them above us, since they are +10 GD.

A win for Watford would put them 2 behind us, and they face Bournemouth. Same for Stoke who face Villa.

Pool don't play this weekend in the league, neither do City, so we'd be looking to build a gap between us and the former, and close the gap a bit on the latter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement