Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Remember when we could bully Arsenal? Now we have too many nice fellas in the team.Can anyone pick out somebody who'd kick his own mother for the club?
    Even Rooney who used to spend every game snarling has become quiet as a church mouse,Carrick is another senior player who hardly says boo on the pitch.
    LVG spoke of bringing back the fear factor,hard to do when we don't have anyone in the squad that opponents hate to play against.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

zerks wrote: »
    Remember when we could bully Arsenal? Now we have too many nice fellas in the team.Can anyone pick out somebody who'd kick his own mother for the club?
    Even Rooney who used to spend every game snarling has become quiet as a church mouse,Carrick is another senior player who hardly says boo on the pitch.
    LVG spoke of bringing back the fear factor,hard to do when we don't have anyone in the squad that opponents hate to play against.

Fellaini usually rattles arsenal(if he's back)

CcNVyDVWEAAYKK-.jpg:large

"The sons of Van Gaal": Star players LVG brought through as youngsters.That'd make a formidable XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Fellaini usually rattles arsenal(if he's back)

He spent the last game at old Trafford in Coquelins pocket. Rooney is the only current united player I feel genuinely worries Arsenal. Is he still out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

https://twitter.com/manutdredeviIs/status/703366824302219264

Apologies if posted already, the red brighter than before or else my eyes are going off on me. Very like the '08 shirt I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Apologies if posted already, the red brighter than before or else my eyes are going off on me. Very like the '08 shirt I think.

That's not a bad Jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hope we stuff Arsenal tomorrow.

And I mean stuff them!

Hope we stuff Arsenal tomorrow.

And I mean stuff them!

It's our chance to make up ground on City and open a gap between us and Liverpool,like always we will find a way to balls it up.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Strumms wrote: »
    I don't think you can blame LVG for the most part when it comes down to the inconsistency of Memphis. That pretty much lies at the players door. I don't have the inside track on the boy but he seems to have a bit of growing up to do and has to realize that for all his talent he needs to actually fulfill it on the pitch to stay at this club and the top echelons of the game and develop his talent.. I think also he is super talented just needs a kick in the hole and some tough love...

What evidence have you got for the idea that Memphis is immature and needs a kick up the hole and tough love?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

A different shade of red on each side is daft. Adidas have some peaches of jerseys for the Euros and the MLS. Maybe they ran out of ideas when the United kit came around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

statto25 wrote: »
    A different shade of red on each side is daft. Adidas have some peaches of jerseys for the Euros and the MLS. Maybe they ran out of ideas when the United kit came around.

In honour of the old Newton Heath shirts apparently, not too sure bout it either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Pro. F wrote: »
    What evidence have you got for the idea that Memphis is immature and needs a kick up the hole and tough love?

He was giving his opinion as he said he dont have inside track on it but id agree with him too.

Memphis comes across as a very flash player enjoying the highlife and thats fine if your a well established star you reap your rewards but if your a young kid making your way at a new club u put your head down and work Hard.

You dont head off to Paris hours after a defeat that you played in and you dont travel to Holland for a flash birthday party the night you play in a defeat.

We don't know for sure but it looks to me like lvg wasn't too happy with this part of his lifestyle it coincide with him been dropped from the team and loss of patience and he is only after getting back in now due to a spark of injuries but I do hope he takes the chance because I love watching him as a player him and Martial are the type of players that make you look forward to games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

Another pic of the kit, cant remember if I posted it before

manchester-united-16-17-kit-2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

jayo26 wrote: »
    He was giving his opinion as he said he dont have inside track on it but id agree with him too.

Memphis comes across as a very flash player enjoying the highlife and thats fine if your a well established star you reap your rewards but if your a young kid making your way at a new club u put your head down and work Hard.

You dont head off to Paris hours after a defeat that you played in and you dont travel to Holland for a flash birthday party the night you play in a defeat.

We don't know for sure but it looks to me like lvg wasn't too happy with this part of his lifestyle it coincide with him been dropped from the team and loss of patience and he is only after getting back in now due to a spark of injuries but I do hope he takes the chance because I love watching him as a player him and Martial are the type of players that make you look forward to games.

Exactly.. an opinion as i said... i dont have a pie chart or a power point presentation to help anyone understand but..... based on his performances which have largley so far lacked disipline and quality aside from a couple of games... his lack of application to his defensive responsability has cost us in several games and his body language when things go wrong does not overly seem to indicate that he is that bothered when he ****s up... his social media would suggest that he enjoys the high life and is a bit of a flash dude. Where as i certainly dont begrudge him his lifestyle or want to see him not enjoying the finer things in life that his wages can bring him, his choices as to what to he posts on his instagram and the timings of them after bad defeats and performances dont quite set the right tone... at least with Rojo you get him posting stuff like the missus putting the bins out ;)

Dont get me wrong i like the guy and when he plays well he excites me. Very much an entertainer and a United player from that point of view he just really needs to get consistent... loved him in our last Europa league game against that team i dont want to try and spell again... and if that is what is to come from him and he can do it on a regular consistant basis then happy days...

Exactly.. an opinion as i said... i dont have a pie chart or a power point presentation to help anyone understand but...

I didn't ask for a pie chart or powerpoint presentation and I didn't say anything to doubt that you were expressing an opinion. I asked what evidence you had for the idea that Memphis is immature and needs a kick up the hole. You've provided your evidence and now we can discuss it.
    ... based on his performances which have largley so far lacked disipline and quality aside from a couple of games... his lack of application to his defensive responsability has cost us in several games and his body language when things go wrong does not overly seem to indicate that he is that bothered when he ****s up... his social media would suggest that he enjoys the high life and is a bit of a flash dude. Where as i certainly dont begrudge him his lifestyle or want to see him not enjoying the finer things in life that his wages can bring him, his choices as to what to he posts on his instagram and the timings of them after bad defeats and performances dont quite set the right tone... at least with Rojo you get him posting stuff like the missus putting the bins out ;)

Dont get me wrong i like the guy and when he plays well he excites me. Very much an entertainer and a United player from that point of view he just really needs to get consistent... loved him in our last Europa league game against that team i dont want to try and spell again... and if that is what is to come from him and he can do it on a regular consistant basis then happy days...

Since Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Herrera, Fellaini, Mata and Blind (when playing in midfield) have all been repeatedly drawn into poor defensive positions in various games, I wouldn't read much into any player's defensive problems under this manager.

In terms of his performances lacking in quality, that would also be inline with nearly every outfield player at the club. Again, I'd be looking at the manager and be very wary of trying to judge the players during this time.

I've had a look at his Instagram and describing it as flash is extremely misleading. There are no exact dates on when he posted things (Instagram only tells you it was X number of days/weeks ago) so I can't see if any of the posts were made just after bad results for the team. Do you have any way of verifying that this did happen? And what posts exactly do you have a problem with him choosing to make anyway?

I've looked through his Twitter as well (which has more posts) and I don't see a single post that was made in the aftermath of a bad result this season.

• Advertisement

I didn't ask for a pie chart or powerpoint presentation and I didn't say anything to doubt that you were expressing an opinion. I asked what evidence you had for the idea that Memphis is immature and needs a kick up the hole. You've provided your evidence and now we can discuss it.

Since Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Herrera, Fellaini, Mata and Blind (when playing in midfield) have all been repeatedly drawn into poor defensive positions in various games, I wouldn't read much into any player's defensive problems under this manager.

In terms of his performances lacking in quality, that would also be inline with nearly every outfield player at the club. Again, I'd be looking at the manager and be very weary of trying to judge the players during this time.

I've had a look at his Instagram and describing it as flash is extremely misleading. There are no exact dates on when he posted things (Instagram only tells you it was X number of days/weeks ago) so I can't see if any of the posts were made just after bad results for the team. Do you have any way of verifying that this did happen? And what posts exactly do you have a problem with him choosing to make anyway?

I've looked through his Twitter as well (which has more posts) and I don't see a single post that was made in the aftermath of a bad result this season.

I follow him on on instagram and that is how I know when he posts stuff so I've seen his posts as he posts them and alot of things like his party and trips to Paris came the night of a defeat left me thinking that lad just put in a terrible display and straight away he off on a plane for the night.

As strums above I wouldnt be begrudging him having a good time asd lifestyle but he is in his first year in one of biggest clubs in world and has largely underperformed you would imagine if he would be best served putting his head down and been in top condition.

Luke Shaw is out for more six months you would hardley hear of the chap doing stuff apart from an odd night out. Martial had rumours spread about him a while ago and they died out as quick as they started buy the looks of it because he dont really put himself in that position.

Anyway he will learn hopefully because everyone wants him to do well.

All I asked for was the evidence on which he was basing his opinion.
    evidence =/= inside track

Can you tell me exactly how he comes across as a very flash player enjoying the high life?

How do you know that he is not keeping his head down and working hard?

Of course you do. It's much better for a player to be having their late nights on the nights when they don't have training the following morning than on any other night.

Every player other than DDG has been dropped at one stage or another, the majority of them for extended spells. So has every player gotten into LVG's bad books for leading flash lifestyles?

I follow him on on instagram and that is how I know when he posts stuff so I've seen his posts as he posts them and alot of things like his party and trips to Paris came the night of a defeat left me thinking that lad just put in a terrible display and straight away he off on a plane for the night.

As strums above I wouldnt be begrudging him having a good time asd lifestyle but he is in his first year in one of biggest clubs in world and has largely underperformed you would imagine if he would be best served putting his head down and been in top condition.

Luke Shaw is out for more six months you would hardley hear of the chap doing stuff apart from an odd night out. Martial had rumours spread about him a while ago and they died out as quick as they started buy the looks of it because he dont really put himself in that position.

Anyway he will learn hopefully because everyone wants him to do well.

Since, imo, you are misrepresenting the content of his posts, I'm not inclined to believe you on the timing of them.

Edit: Even if it is true that he's made these posts after bad results, since I don't believe that players going out after bad results is a problem, I'd say that this is only actually a problem as far as his PR goes, rather than an indication of an attitude problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Does anyone think the 22 year old Ronaldo wasn't living the high life too? They are rich sports stars. Look at him, he's hardly out of shape and trains very hard. That's all that matters.

Since, imo, you are misrepresenting the content of his posts, I'm not inclined to believe you on the timing of them.

I didn't ask you to believe me it's not going to make my life anymore content to get the thumbs up from you.

I gave my opinion and in my opinion a young player heading off to Paris and stuff straight after putting in a bad display is not right thats just my opinion I don't need to prove it to you I just give my opinion in some people's eyes im wrong I can accept that so it's all good.

• Advertisement

I didn't ask you to believe me it's not going to make my life anymore content to get the thumbs up from you.

I gave my opinion and in my opinion a young player heading off to Paris and stuff straight after putting in a bad display is not right thats just my opinion I don't need to prove it to you I just give my opinion in some people's eyes im wrong I can accept that so it's all good.

Is it okay for an older player to do it? Why hold older players to a different standard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

honestly have no idea how tomorrow is going to go. some factors can tip the scales very closely -

is smalling back?
    is martial able to play?
    is DDG back?

head says a defeat but heart says a draw so im going to go with that - dour 0-0.

#inkatewetrust

Liam O wrote: »
    Does anyone think the 22 year old Ronaldo wasn't living the high life too? They are rich sports stars. Look at him, he's hardly out of shape and trains very hard. That's all that matters.

Ronaldo was alot better player then memphis was at 22 like I said first post I don't have a problem with a proven player going out enjoying themselves or whatever they need to do they have obviously found a ballance of lifestyle that suits them and they are performing on the pitch.

In Memphis case he is new in the country and not performing for his club that's where I see the difference he should be working on getting his performance going.

Is it okay for an older player to do it? Why hold older players to a different standard?

Yes it's OK for any player to do it if they performing as long as they perform on the pitch but memphis wasn't.

Its the same as the press having a go at Lewis Hamilton for his lifestyle I find that ridiculous the man is a world champion he knows what it takes to win obviously so why not let him off.

Ronaldo was alot better player then memphis was at 22 like I said first post I don't have a problem with a proven player going out enjoying themselves or whatever they need to do they have obviously found a ballance of lifestyle that suits them and they are performing on the pitch.

In Memphis case he is new in the country and not performing for his club that's where I see the difference he should be working on getting his performance going.

Maybe he needs to go out some more. Maybe the balance he is lacking is that he hasn't been going out enough. Like all you have evidence for is a few nights out in over 6 months.

honestly have no idea how tomorrow is going to go. some factors can tip the scales very closely -

is smalling back?
    is martial able to play?
    is DDG back?

head says a defeat but heart says a draw so im going to go with that - dour 0-0.

#inkatewetrust

I dont think martial and smalling are available or gonna be chanced and DDG is surely ok.

Maybe he needs to go out some more. Maybe the balance he is lacking is that he hasn't been going out enough. Like all you have evidence for is a few nights out in over 6 months.

Why are you so hell bent on getting evidence out of people for giving there opinion?? It is just an opinion im not saying it's Gospel it is my thoughts on it and you have different thoughts and that's fine.

Going to Paris on a rest day doesn't mean he isn't working. It's very hard for someone in his position to get sharpness when only playing the last 10-20 minutes every now and then. Same with Nani. Most players in that position lose the ball a lot. In a team as impotent as United it's probably worse. Going to Paris for a day has absolutely no bearing on his performances.

Yes it's OK for any player to do it if they performing as long as they perform on the pitch but memphis wasn't.

Its the same as the press having a go at Lewis Hamilton for his lifestyle I find that ridiculous the man is a world champion he knows what it takes to win obviously so why not let him off.

Memphis is a professional footballer playing for the biggest team in the world. He obviously knows what he's doing so why not let him off?

Why are you so hell bent on getting evidence out of people for giving there opinion?? It is just an opinion im not saying it's Gospel it is my thoughts on it and you have different thoughts and that's fine.

You do not understand what the word "evidence" means.

• Advertisement

Going to Paris on a rest day doesn't mean he isn't working. It's very hard for someone in his position to get sharpness when only playing the last 10-20 minutes every now and then. Same with Nani. Most players in that position lose the ball a lot. In a team as impotent as United it's probably worse. Going to Paris for a day has absolutely no bearing on his performances.

Im not saying it Has a direct bearing on his performances it just may possibly tell alot about his attitude thats all. It's not the biggest crime in the world of course it aint I just don't think it shows good attitude thats all.

In terms of his performances lacking in quality, that would also be inline with nearly every outfield player at the club. Again, I'd be looking at the manager and be very weary of trying to judge the players during this time.

We have levied a fair amount of criticism against LVG and rightly so but to absolve Memphis or any other player for that matter on that basis is somewhat strange. He was dropped for an extended period, longer then any other player if I recall correctly after his performance in the Arsenal game where he was the poorest player on the pitch, where he gave the ball away consistently, where he failed to track back when his full back was being raped down that wing and displayed a poor overall work rate. Since then he has been sitting on the bench often not coming on until at all, only since the injury crisis recently has become worse and we had to play him has he got any serious minutes. The cameos in the mean time have not suggested that he had learned anything at all from being dropped as his performances were much the same as I explained above... Again this could suggest immaturity and partly what informed my 'opinion'.

I don't keep a log on his instagram posts so I don't know when and what was posted to falicitate your request for 'evidence' but I am aware that after games... I forget what defeat but he was putting up those flashy photos ie. the Paris ones after a defeat and poor performance... I dont mind him going off on a break but i don't think it shows good judgment and indeed professionalism to be posting those shots. Not the be all and end all but again could reflect a certain immaturity and disconnect with the fans and situation surrounding the loss. Others might have another opinion or view but that is mine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Im not saying it Has a direct bearing on his performances it just may possibly tell alot about his attitude thats all. It's not the biggest crime in the world of course it aint I just don't think it shows good attitude thats all.

I honestly don't see how what he does on his own time would give any indication as to his professionalism at work.

You do not understand what the word "evidence" means.

Football is about opinions... we could for instance disagree about the performance of a player tomorrow.. I think Blind played well, you don't we both sight reasons that informs why we think what we think, it can be pretty subjective.... evidence ? We are not in a court, we are discussing the football on the internet and giving opinions and saying why we 'think' so. Unless we are all sitting on the team bus, in the dressing room and at training we can put away the keyboards ? As regards Memphis you obviously dont agree with my opinion which is fine, I can deal with people having other views but i'd rather you discuss your own view and what you think rather then trying to get bogged down in semantics.. makes for a far less interesting debate....

Memphis is a professional footballer playing for the biggest team in the world. He obviously knows what he's doing so why not let him off?

Yes but he wasn't playing well for the biggest Team in the world he wasn't putting in performance on the pitch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

With West ham winning earlier, and now Southampton beating Chelsea, we're down in 7th :(

Honestly can't see us even getting a point tomorrow; Arsenal will demolish us, I reckon :( Can't see us winning 3 games on the trot....

Lord TSC wrote: »
    With West ham winning earlier, and now Southampton beating Chelsea, we're down in 7th :(

Honestly can't see us even getting a point tomorrow; Arsenal will demolish us, I reckon :( Can't see us winning 3 games on the trot....

I actually think we will win tomorrow arsenal after having a bad week against barca with Sanchez and girod not in best of form if we can carry the confidence from Thursday night with a decent display I think we can get a good win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

We'll be alright... We've got Rashford and a bit of Kate on the side. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I dunno what to expect tomorrow.

Will LVG send out Utd to play in a cautious way and let Arsenal control the game in the hope of nicking a goal and sneaking a win

Or will he send the team out to play with the same energy and attitude that team had Thursday night and get in around Arsenal and put them under pressure when on the ball and see how they react

Im fearful that Arsenal will try to start the same way they did in the game at the Emirates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

This time three weeks our season could be well and truly over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I celebrated that Leicester goal like a United one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

J. Marston wrote: »
    I celebrated that Leicester goal like a United one.

Man I really hope they can hold on and do it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I actually think we will win tomorrow arsenal after having a bad week against barca with Sanchez and girod not in best of form if we can carry the confidence from Thursday night with a decent display I think we can get a good win.

Barca are Barca; no point getting annoyed losing to them, and it won't affect them that much. We've only gotten one win against the current top 5 this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They can have all the confidence they want, but if the team is the same as it was on Thursday then Arsenal could do a real number on them, the difference in quality is massive. Give me Sanchez and Giroud over the new Macheda any day.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Van Gaal will let tomorrows side go out to play with flair, he will want a focus on defensive play and try to snatch a draw. He might even be right to do so for once.

They might all go out and play brilliantly and score two or three goals, I just very much doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

They should go for it, try and take a bit of scalp off the top 4. A draw only encourages the notion of hanging on and hoping the lads above us slip up. Better to give a go now instead of dragging our arses in March/April when we're adrift.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

They can have all the confidence they want, but if the team is the same as it was on Thursday then Arsenal could do a real number on them, the difference in quality is massive. Give me Sanchez and Giroud over the new Macheda any day.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Van Gaal will let tomorrows side go out to play with flair, he will want a focus on defensive play and try to snatch a draw. He might even be right to do so for once.

They might all go out and play brilliantly and score two or three goals, I just very much doubt it.

The new Macheda? He is already being coined a failure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

user2011 wrote: »
    The new Macheda? He is already being coined a failure?

Not at all. I hope he pushes on and makes an impact for the club. At this point he is neither a success nor a failure.

The parallels are there though, so all judgement should be reserved.

Barca are Barca; no point getting annoyed losing to them, and it won't affect them that much. We've only gotten one win against the current top 5 this season.

Ahh just been a little optimistic pal we will shower them with Kate love they be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Not at all. I hope he pushes on and makes an impact for the club. At this point he is neither a success nor a failure.

The parallels are there though, so all judgement should be reserved.

Strange thing to say "the new Macheda" then reply like so. All judgement should be reserved including liking him in a positive/negative tone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Any news on Martial, De Gea and Smalling for tomorrow?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement