Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Our wingers were the unsung hero's of today IMO. Memphis and Lingard were bloody excellent. Delighted for Rashford too. I agree with many of you that he's the sort of clinical finisher around the 6-yard box that we need.

Does pose a problem though - Memphis playing himself back into some sort of form, do the club move Martial across to RW where he has been less effective, or move him up front in place of Rooney? Or just swing Memphis out right and hope he keeps his return to form going?

• Our wingers were the unsung hero's of today IMO. Memphis and Lingard were bloody excellent. Delighted for Rashford too. I agree with many of you that he's the sort of clinical finisher around the 6-yard box that we need.

His positioning has to be praised.
    He was always inside the box when the ball was crossed in.
    Something Rooney is guilty of from time to time.

Rashford is young and has more pace which helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Arsené Wenger a sore loser in defeat, rolling out the excuses.

https://twitter.com/MUFCScoop/status/703985284225110017?lang=en

:pac:

Of all the excuses to use, he picked the lack of experience. If I didn't know any better I'd think he's delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Sand wrote: »
    Does pose a problem though - Memphis playing himself back into some sort of form, do the club move Martial across to RW where he has been less effective, or move him up front in place of Rooney? Or just swing Memphis out right and hope he keeps his return to form going?
    It's a head-scratcher for LVG, but I think he'll continue with Martial up front and leave Memphis where he is. It's sense to leave a player continue where they are when on form. Rooney should at risk of dropping realistically, although before his injury he was good again.

The Herrera-Schneiderlin alliance HAS to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

Sand wrote: »

Memphis played a few games on the right just after Martial signed and they combined really well, I was disappointed at the time that nothing more came of it because it was about the time that Memphis was declining on the left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Memphis played a few games on the right just after Martial signed and they combined really well, I was disappointed at the time that nothing more came of it because it was about the time that Memphis was declining on the left

Memphis's decline coinsided with Shaws injury, they were forging an excellent partnership on the left.

Of course, as a pro he shouldn't have to rely on one player to support but I do believe it had a direct bearing on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The issue with Rooney is it generally takes a few games/weeks/months for him to get back into form when he comes back from an injury/holiday.

Right now, I'd be bringing Martial back in, see how Memphis does on the right over Lingard, and leaving Rashford up front for another game or two...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Only reason we won today lads. Me and the nipper in matching jerseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The Herrera-Schneiderlin alliance HAS to stay.

This

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It looks like we've taken a leaf out of Leicester's book, we have been far quicker getting it forward than before

The slow build up to attack just doesn't work for us, we have shown time and time again that we really struggle to break down teams when we give them time to get organised

• yabadabado wrote: »
    This

Schneiderlin was poor today

He turned his back on the ball in two occasions
    The first time was the free in from which we conceeded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

M!Ck^ wrote: »

It's still the best partnership in cm.They complement each other perfectly imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Lads just wanted to say well done on the result today (arsenal fan in peace)

You battered us around the field today and you're new kids played with no fear or no pressure which was great to watch...not much for me obviously it really felt like we had come up against the United of old and just couldn't deal with it , Our team on the flipside were ****ing terrible no plan , no cohesion nothing but fare play ye pressed us all over the field and i know it was 3-2 but it could have been worse

and credit to LVG for giving me probably the biggest laugh ever watching a match ..and watching this turgid cup final has made me appreciate that game even more despite us losing, Can't see us winning the title now and we could even be battling with you for 4th so best of luck with the battle ...oh and batter Liverpool in the europa please ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Yes he did, but he also did a hell of a lot of good work. He didn't have his best game for us and he has been a bit off form recently but he made life seriously difficult for Arsenal in midfield. He gave away a few annoying frees but overall he was fairly good I felt. The team desperately needs his work rate, interceptions and defensive contribution. He was one of the main reasons Southampton were so defensively solid.

Players like Schneiderlin are essential to almost any setup.

• Quandary wrote: »
    Yes he did, but he also did a hell of a lot of good work. He didn't have his best game for us and he has been a bit off form recently but he made life seriously difficult for Arsenal in midfield. He gave away a few annoying frees but overall he was fairly good I felt. The team desperately needs his work rate, interceptions and defensive contribution. He was one of the main reasons Southampton were so defensively solid.

Players like Schneiderlin are essential to almost any setup.

I don't' doubt what your saying and yes at times he's showing that reason he was purchased. But he needs to do it more consistently.

I was gutted when we conceded prior to half-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

What a result, to do that against Arsenal with all 3rd to 5th choice players is just amazing.

So much **** is written about academy and our youngsters keep on impressing in most games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

I don't' doubt what your saying and yes at times he's showing that reason he was purchased. But he needs to do it more consistently.

I was gutted when we conceded prior to half-time.

He was at fault for both goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If Mata had a bit of pace he'd be an absolute superstar.

• :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'll point out the bloody obvious here, but it's amazing what a good result does for the mood of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Thought we were fantastic today and some.. really were.. considering the injuries and everything... we really played without any fear and looking to attack... to a man we were fantastic... Memohis was so improved... he was silky in Europe midweek but he was skillfull today yet used the ball and held it up and protected it so well and was a constant threat to Arsenal... so happy with that today.. Rashford must be walking on water now too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Memphis' hold up play today was very very good. Kept it simple for the most part and put in a strong performance. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

11 goals scored in 3 games.
    3 goals conceded in 3 games.

Keep that form up and top 4 is a possibility. Would love Man City to finish 5th in the league.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    What a result, to do that against Arsenal with all 3rd to 5th choice players is just amazing.

So much **** is written about academy and our youngsters keep on impressing in most games.

Academy players in every first team since 1937.That's some record.

Many more who didn't quite make the grade playing for other EPL teams.

CcURpQJUEAEUWaT.jpg

RobertKK wrote: »
    Keep that form up and top 4 is a possibility. Would love Man City to finish 5th in the league.

It would absolutely make my heart sing if Pep was arriving to no CL. :D Long way to go for United though and I think many of us are in danger of running away with ourselves here!

• KH25 wrote: »
    Memphis' hold up play today was very very good. Kept it simple for the most part and put in a strong performance. Great to see.

Spot on.

He started to show his strength and build to hold off defenders without losing possession.

He's a blocky young lad for his age. Give him a few more years and his balance could be unmatched IMO

• Advertisement

Can they both lose? :-)

ABL

zorro2566 wrote: »
    ABL

Liverpool fans coined the phrase "Mickey Mouse Cup",if they win it then it will suddenly be the best thing ever.
    City fans are thin on the ground in Ireland (and the Etihad:p ) so we don't have to suffer listening to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

zerks wrote: »

Hard to believe hes 18 by the look of him. Physically so well developed for his age. Delighted to see him come on today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Was thinking after the game today, that the current upturn is arguably similar to the few games run we had around the same stage last season - in both cases it is arguable that LVG has lucked into a successful formation, selection, style - through injuries to other players.

Last year it was the loss of a few strikers meaning Rooney was moved up front and the midfield three of Carrick, Fellaini and Herrera with Young and Mata in the wide positions.

This season the loss of Carrick and Schweinsteiger from the central midfield positions, and Rooney from the number 10 position means we have more pace and industry from Lingard and Memphis on the wings with Mata central or roaming and looking to release the pace wide and up front.

Varela has added an attacking threat down the right that we had lacked - offering similar to what Shaw was offering on the left at the start of the season.

It will certainly be interesting to see if the style of play stays (never mind certain players) as Valencia, Young, Fellaini, Schweinsteiger, Darmian regain fitness.

As things stand I would bring Martial back in for Rashford and look to keep the rest of the selections the exact same (fitness depending) - meaning Rooney is benched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Man City have to cope with extra time before travelling to Anfield in a few days.

TheTownie wrote: »
    Hard to believe hes 18 by the look of him. Physically so well developed for his age. Delighted to see him come on today.

Personally I felt you could have made an argument for him to start at CB (pace, power, strength) instead of carrick with carrick playing midfield instead. Obviously the selections worked out.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Man City have to cope with extra time before travelling to Anfield in a few days.

Liverpool have to cope with extra time before they play City in a few days.

Liverpool have to cope with extra time before they play City in a few days.

If we had lost today, that's what I would've said.

But everything is shiny now.

Walcott had only 17 touches of the ball today and made 6 accurate passes.To think I was worried about his pace facing up to Blind and Carrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

This is such a poor game. City should have had it knit up long ago.

• Advertisement

• 9Y9DOas.jpg

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Thank god for that cuz I couldn't listen too pool fans on after winning a trophy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ha ****ing ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

:)

Good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

What a lovely day of sport.

lol

The lesser of 2 evils won the cup.

Do we have to cheer for Liverpool midweek though?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Today was a good day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Nobody gives a **** about the League cup until they win it.

We Win, Leicester win, Spurs win and Liverpool lose. Pretty much a perfect footballing weekend.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement