Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Memphis' performance yesterday wasn't amazing, it's the least I expect from a United player against Arsenal. He's set the bar so low since his arrival that any sort of decent game looks ten times better than it is. He needs to do it more, he needs to get that ruthless mentality into him, he should be making a show of full backs week in week out with the skill he possesses so it's all in his head.

I'd start Rashford against Watford, he deserves it, play Martial off the right or left if he's fit

Yeah, Memphis had an average to decent game yesterday but I'm actually delighted with that. It's 100 times better than the dross he was serving up for most of the season. I have renewed hope for him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

For me, Memphis played a smart game yesterday. It wasn't as eye catching or dangerous as the EL game (far worse opponents) but his decision making and application were good - which is an improvement over what we have seen previously. Bringing out the tricks and showing confidence to hold off the arsenal defence in the last few minutes was also nice to see - hopefully a sign that he is growing into the role at United.

With all the injuries of late, we needed him to step up and be a leader in the attack, and he has done that imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Not sure he will take Mata out of the team for him myself, I think Martial comes back and goes up front, the rest of the support line as they were.

Rashford can play from wide also so I think he might get some game time between now and the end of the season alright but wouldn't expect any prolonged period in the team. I like him, but I do have to admit I am a little surprised at the impact he has made straight away, he didn't look ready yet so I'm taking these games and moments as a bonus and hopefully the experience will drive him on.

Totally forgot about Mata.

Lingard, gtfo.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Just back from the game with three arsenal lads :pac::pac::pac:

When rojo went off it really showed how Memphis likes the support from the lb, Fosu-Mensah seemed hesitant to get too forward until the end of the game, it seemed to leave Memphis isolated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

yesterday just proved again that we have quality players still coming through the academy. Great to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

For me, Memphis played a smart game yesterday. It wasn't as eye catching or dangerous as the EL game (far worse opponents) but his decision making and application were good - which is an improvement over what we have seen previously. Bringing out the tricks and showing confidence to hold off the arsenal defence in the last few minutes was also nice to see - hopefully a sign that he is growing into the role at United.

With all the injuries of late, we needed him to step up and be a leader in the attack, and he has done that imo.

+1

Even Davy Provan mentioned it,late in the game he did the sensible thing and brought the ball up the field and protected it,nothing stupid and when he had the chance he took on the fullback.
    Perhaps the penny has dropped,hard work first for the team and the time for tricks will come.

Loved his dummied cross off the corner followed by a nonchalant roll back to Mata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Dunno if its been mentioned, but the technique on Verelas cross on the first goal, that is not easy to execute as a first time cross...

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/tr4x.mp4

Really, really good cross!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

It's been months since I've posted in the thread, but seeing a young kid like Rashford come through the ranks and having such a big impact on the first team, has put the spring back in my step. I then look at the money wasted on Falcao last year and realise, throwing money at a problem isn't always the solution. I would now love to see Rashford cement a first team place and go from strength to strength.

Agreed and could also add, "I then look at Leicester, and realise, throwing money at a problem isn't always the solution."
    But I'll contradict myself a little by adding it doesn't matter if the player is 17 or 30, cost nothing or £50m, if he is the right person for the position, buy him, promote him, whatever, just get him in the team.
    Some of Uniteds best players were relatively unheard of before being bought (Evra, Vidic), bargains (Irwin) or from the youth team. Big money buys have not always been a hit. For every RVN or Keane, you have a Veron or Kleberson.
    Fergie, mostly, got the balance right between making stars and buying stars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Julez wrote: »
    Dunno if its been mentioned, but the technique on Verelas cross on the first goal, that is not easy to execute as a first time cross...

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/tr4x.mp4

Really, really good cross!

Remember thinking at the time how good a ball it was and how that's what we are lacking, good quality first time balls into the box to catch the defenders before they get set

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Remember thinking at the time how good a ball it was and how that's what we are lacking, good quality first time balls into the box to catch the defenders before they get set

the problem for much of the season is the ponderous way in which we moved the ball forward or around the attacking third.

Whether the players demanded it, or LVG wanted it himself, the pace and directness of the United attack (or attempts to attack) are far higher since the turn of the year. Possession stat has dropped off, because more risks are being taken and we are seeing somewhat better results and more enjoyable games.

As I have said previously today though, I worry about the senior players coming back into the side - Fellaini, Rooney, Schweinstieger, Carrick (at CM) - even Darmian at RB, and reducing the pace of the game we can play at. Martial in for Rashford is the only change to that front 6 I would look to make - maybe Young in for Lingard on the right. I wouldn't be looking to move Herrera or Schneiderlin out of CM not Memphis from the left or Mata from the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

paulbok wrote: »
    Agreed and could also add, "I then look at Leicester, and realise, throwing money at a problem isn't always the solution."
    But I'll contradict myself a little by adding it doesn't matter if the player is 17 or 30, cost nothing or £50m, if he is the right person for the position, buy him, promote him, whatever, just get him in the team.
    Some of Uniteds best players were relatively unheard of before being bought (Evra, Vidic), bargains (Irwin) or from the youth team. Big money buys have not always been a hit. For every RVN or Keane, you have a Veron or Kleberson.
    Fergie, mostly, got the balance right between making stars and buying stars.

Couldn't resist, for me Veron was quite simply ahead of his time. Probably one of the 1st continental deep lying play-makers of his type to join a league predominantly focused with 442. If he was around now in a 4231 as part of the two i think you'd see a different player than the one who was often shunted out to the right hand side for united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

zerks wrote: »
    maybe Young in for Lingard on the right.

The extended run he is getting has just solidified my opinion on Lingard, a solid squad player and no more. I wouldn't necessarily swap him for Young, (in fact I would consider him another Ashley Young), and I would rather him out right than Valencia or Mata, but I definitely feel that its an area we should still be looking to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Couldn't resist, for me Veron was quite simply ahead of his time. Probably one of the 1st continental deep lying play-makers of his type to join a league predominantly focused with 442. If he was around now in a 4231 as part of the two i think you'd see a different player than the one who was often shunted out to the right hand side for united.

The shame is that he didn't miss the boat by that long, in my opinion he would have suited the Ronaldo era United team perfectly as well, never mind todays teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I think Memphis was top drawer yesterday, not average, not OK, he was excellent against a FB who everyone predicted he would struggle against. He was constantly driving the team forward and bringing our play to them high up the pitch really quickly.

As for Rashford, he's just amazing. The lad couldn't celebrate last night because he's got a chemistry exam this morning. :pac:

As for the next game, if Martial is back I'd start him up top and leave the rest of the team pretty much as is. No need to keep piling the expectation and pressure on the young lad, give him the last half hour when they're tired to do his stuff and to keep him fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

I agree on the highlighted part about Veron, he was a fantastic player that would be awesome now, but at the time he didn't work out so I have him in the pile of big money players, that for whatever reason, didn't live up to expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I am loving the van Gaal memes. This may have been posted but I don't really care. This is the funniest, for me.

2rzuuk5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I am loving the van Gaal memes. This may have been posted but I don't really care. This is the funniest, for me.

2rzuuk5.jpg

Here's a better version for ya :pac: my favourite too.. the drawing on this one makes it

TZTyjcH.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The u21s are playing Middlesbrough u21s tonight at 7 coverage starts on mutv at half 6.

I reckon it will be made up of under 16s because all the rest are in the first team squad.

• Advertisement

United's secret trainer did an interview last night about the Arsenal game and last week in general...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,852 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Jayop wrote: »
    I think Memphis was top drawer yesterday, not average, not OK, he was excellent against a FB who everyone predicted he would struggle against. He was constantly driving the team forward and bringing our play to them high up the pitch really quickly.

As for Rashford, he's just amazing. The lad couldn't celebrate last night because he's got a chemistry exam this morning. :pac:

As for the next game, if Martial is back I'd start him up top and leave the rest of the team pretty much as is. No need to keep piling the expectation and pressure on the young lad, give him the last half hour when they're tired to do his stuff and to keep him fresh.

I've been pretty critical about Memphis recently but I was thrilled by his performance yesterday. Critical for the most part because I believed he has the ability to play like he did yesterday and even better. Every facet of his game yesterday was good from his work rate, use of the ball, decision making and overall link play, just fantastic. Defensive side of his game was much better all be it I thought he was a bit casual in coming back to help out for Arsenal's second goal which again came down his side of the pitch although who knows if he would have been able to affect the goal being scored...

Rashford is a legend in the making and loved his coolness when asked about celebrating and the chemistry exam... bit of a selection dilemma in the final third of the pitch ultimately when Martial and then Rooney get back to fitness which is no bad thing... Think any of them would feel a little unlucky to be benched even Lingard who i think has done very well and is a real hard worker but I'd imagine he will be the one to make way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Almost crying laughing at that trainer vid above. Have seen the original before but it's somehow funnier with the Arsenal narrative

Almost crying laughing at that trainer vid above. Have seen the original before but it's somehow funnier with the Arsenal narrative

What was the original one about? I was watching the vid, laughing at the content, but still wondering what they were really talking about.

That is the funniest sh1t ever my wife was looking at me strange and i on the couch in convulsions with laughing haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

stankratz wrote: »
    What was the original one about? I was watching the vid, laughing at the content, but still wondering what they were really talking about.

In the original video, he is just telling a story about ****ing up in work. This one is way funnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

That lad Utd signed off Salford has come on for the U21s,Donald Love gone off injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I dont want F. Anderson any where near utd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Headshot wrote: »
    I dont want F. Anderson any where near utd

He have a stinker tonight?

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    He have a stinker tonight?

boo'd off by the Lazio fans. Basically a typical performance by him this season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

boo'd off by the Lazio fans. Basically a typical performance by him this season

What's his season like, not interested or just been a poor one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

jayo26 wrote: »
    That is the funniest sh1t ever my wife was looking at me strange and i on the couch in convulsions with laughing haha.

My girlfriend heard the noise and had to come over and watch it with me. Then we were both laughing! The dialogue they chose fits impressively well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Lukekul wrote: »
    Just back from the game with three arsenal lads :pac::pac::pac:

When rojo went off it really showed how Memphis likes the support from the lb, Fosu-Mensah seemed hesitant to get too forward until the end of the game, it seemed to leave Memphis isolated.

I think both full backs stayed back in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,125 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Poor ol James Wilson can't even break into the Brighton team, amazing how far backwards he's gone since lvg took over.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Poor ol James Wilson can't even break into the Brighton team, amazing how far backwards he's gone since lvg took over.

It's amazing how LVG isn't picking him for Brighton alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I can imagine your man in the video above having a right old laugh at the comment. :D

• Best video ever

Love when he keeps saying "two goals" haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,852 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the best bit for some reason is when he is serious for a sec and then says... "even Memphis played well" before falling around the place with that brilliant laugh of his... what a guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Pereira and Weir were really taking the piss out of the Middlesborough lads at the end there in the corner killing time,

Weir looks a great prospect,like the look of that Redmond lad in the CM as well,tidy enough player.

They won 2-1, Pereira with a pen and that old favourite the og with the second

Hococop wrote: »
    What's his season like, not interested or just been a poor one?

I think its a bit of both but mainly been extremely poor. He looks a shadow of last season and if he was any older I would say he was a one season wonder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think its a bit of both but mainly been extremely poor. He looks a shadow of last season and if he was any older I would say he was a one season wonder

You could say the same about Memphis, and Anderson is younger

He had a fantastic game for them last week against galatasaray in Europe got a goal and man of the match. He is very inconsistent yhh but he has not been all bad this season. It could be the case he knows he is moving in the summer or it could be just a bad year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,125 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Huh, I don't get it, obviously he doesn't pick their team. Are you saying he's improved since lvg took over?

Anyway he came on and got 10 mins, seems to have nipped ahead of 35 year old Bobby Zamora.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Huh, I don't get it, obviously he doesn't pick their team. Are you saying he's improved since lvg took over?

Anyway he came on and got 10 mins, seems to have nipped ahead of 35 year old Bobby Zamora.

Nope. If Wilson has continued to decline at Brighton, in a much easier league, that has nothing to do with Van Gaal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

stankratz wrote: »
    United's secret trainer did an interview last night about the Arsenal game and last week in general...

Am I allowed to find that annoying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Am I allowed to find that annoying?

You don't need our permission to have feelings about things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

You don't need our permission to have feelings about things.

drphil.jpg

For anyone still hungry for gifs featuring LVG's Fallon D'floor moment, this one with audio is certainly creative...

https://streamable.com/9k4f

Whatever it is that's happening now, I'm going to enjoy it until Watford or West Brom probably end it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Nope. If Wilson has continued to decline at Brighton, in a much easier league, that has nothing to do with Van Gaal.

Not sure how you've come to that conclusion. Sitting on the bench for 6 months behind a misfiring Rooney wasn't great for Wilson's development.

Nice to see its not our thread that is imploding for a change... No doubt we will be back there soon but enjoy watching others do it for few days.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement