Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I get the feeling that the tide has turned somewhat with van Gaal after the week and the falling on the ground and the passion he showed has made the fans think, hey, maybe this guy can come good for us.

15 first team injuries, I don't think any club in the world could cope with that

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

You could say the same about Memphis, and Anderson is younger

He isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

bangkok wrote: »
    I get the feeling that the tide has turned somewhat with van Gaal after the week and the falling on the ground and the passion he showed has made the fans think, hey, maybe this guy can come good for us.

15 first team injuries, I don't think any club in the world could cope with that

Que is drawing or losing tomorrow now :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,348 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I hope not - the guy needs to be got rid of in the summer.

We thought he had turned a corner around the same time last season when we whupped Spurs and Liverpool - and then it all went to crap again, and this season has been consistently crap up until the last week - during which we beat a crap danish side (having lost to them) a relegation threatened division 3 side and an Arsenal side doing their annual spring folding. The arsenal game is the only one of credit, imo.

As for the injuries - it is a 'meh' excuse imo. Relying on injury prone players and a small squad - injuries is what you are going to get. He reaped what he sewed.

Much like last season you can argue he has lucked into a run of form and style. Lets see if this upturn in form lasts, and whether he goes back to shoe-horning in Fellaini and Rooney when they return, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

But we also need to remember what the team was playing like for past 18 months and yhh we have alot of Injuries but he is the one that left the squad short.

I know rashford has come on and done well in two games but to continue past January with just 2 recognised strikers was insane.

Out of the 15 players injured only around 5 of them are proper first team players that would be integral parts of the first team squad the rest are players that were drafted on to cover for lack of debt and injuries.

But look if we continue playing decent football and results keep on the up im sure we will all come around but I wouldn't be forgetting the past 18 months on one weeks results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

jayo26 wrote: »
    Nice to see its not our thread that is imploding for a change... No doubt we will be back there soon but enjoy watching others do it for few days.

Which one is it? Arsenal or Liverpool?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Absolutely nothing has changed regarding Van Gaal, one good game does not undo nearly two years of horrifically bad management.

Absolutely nothing has changed regarding Van Gaal, one good game does not undo nearly two years of horrifically bad management.

With some fans it does though.

Remember the fact a spikey press conference (in which he deflected and avoided blame) won over a load of fans.

A lot of fans are very fickle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Pro. F wrote: »
    drphil.jpg

You called?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

jayo26 wrote: »
    Nice to see its not our thread that is imploding for a change... No doubt we will be back there soon but enjoy watching others do it for few days.
    Which one is it? Arsenal or Liverpool?

Yes which one?? Popcorn anyone??

mjpopcornbitchplsjpg.gif

beno619 wrote: »
    Not sure how you've come to that conclusion. Sitting on the bench for 6 months behind a misfiring Rooney wasn't great for Wilson's development.

When do the excuses for players run out?

6 months with only making the bench once before the European game didn't seem to do much harm to Rashford if we are going to say silly things.

Wilson was given chances, Wilson did not take them, it is painfully obvious, and was at the time he needed a loan, he has now got one and hopefully he can progress there. It is up to him now to take his chance in a lower league and get some game time and goals or at least have some noteworthy performances.

The main point regardless was that using Wilson being unable to break in to the Brighton team as an excuse to fire a pop shot at Van Gaal is dumb, really really dumb.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I hope not - the guy needs to be got rid of in the summer.

We thought he had turned a corner around the same time last season when we whupped Spurs and Liverpool - and then it all went to crap again, and this season has been consistently crap up until the last week - during which we beat a crap danish side (having lost to them) a relegation threatened division 3 side and an Arsenal side doing their annual spring folding. The arsenal game is the only one of credit, imo.

As for the injuries - it is a 'meh' excuse imo. Relying on injury prone players and a small squad - injuries is what you are going to get. He reaped what he sewed.

Much like last season you can argue he has lucked into a run of form and style. Lets see if this upturn in form lasts, and whether he goes back to shoe-horning in Fellaini and Rooney when they return, for example.

you cant say that in fairness....

Take Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Iniesta, Rakitic, Busquets, Alba, Pique, Alves, Mascherano, Turan all out of the Barca team and see how good they are.

I read a good article the other day, I will try to find link, saying how this season van Gaal had his team set up the way he wanted. He always uses small squads so he can give young players a chance. Young players don't get a chance using big squads. Jose Mourinho uses big squads but never picks youth.

the plan for this season, according to the article was to have 2 fast full backs who would push up, (Shaw/Darmain), 2 centre backs and Daley Blind would sit in front and act as a play maker from deep, taking the ball from defenders and passing the ball out and he would drop into a back 3 without the ball.

Carrick would play ahead of Blind along with one of Herrera, Bastian or Morgan depending on opposition.

Martial would have been used a lot less than he has been now and would have played more as a striker along with Rooney, while Mata, Depay, Young and a youth team player (probably Lingard) would battle it out for other place.

Shaws injury threw them plans out the window very early in the season.

• When do the excuses for players run out?

6 months with only making the bench once before the European game didn't seem to do much harm to Rashford if we are going to say silly things.

Wilson was given chances, Wilson did not take them, it is painfully obvious, and was at the time he needed a loan, he has now got one and hopefully he can progress there. It is up to him now to take his chance in a lower league and get some game time and goals or at least have some noteworthy performances.

The main point regardless was that using Wilson being unable to break in to the Brighton team as an excuse to fire a pop shot at Van Gaal is dumb, really really dumb.

Exactly

Remember the fact a spikey press conference (in which he deflected and avoided blame) won over a load of fans.

A lot The vast majority of fans are very fickle.

To be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Not sure how you've come to that conclusion. Sitting on the bench for 6 months behind a misfiring Rooney wasn't great for Wilson's development.

Can you remember Wilson putting in any kind of performance under LVG that would suggest he should have been the main striker?
    Wasn't Wilson still playing with the U21s? It's not like he was rotting away on the bench doing nothing. He would have been training with and learning from the senior players.

The fact that he can't get a game for Brighton is not LVG's fault. If his lack of games for United is having an effect on his current situation that's his problem and it reeks of being mentally weak. He had no divine right to be playing regular football at United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

When do the excuses for players run out?

When will we stop making excuses for shocking management ?

Rashford got into the side at a time where we were playing decent football im sure if he played in the same side's Wilson has had to people would be writing him off as well.

I didn't make a pop at LVG based on him being dropped by Brighton im just continuing to highlight he has doe feck all to develop our young players.

Does anyone not think Wilson could have scored the goals Rashford has the past week ?

If you are going to equate the two then Wilson scored two goals on his debut as well. In other words, it remains to be seen if Rashfords exploits at this stage are anything more than an anomaly, I wouldn't rush to use him as an example of anything just yet.

17 players all injured.....

Anthony Martial, Wayne Rooney, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Luke Shaw, Ashley Young, Antonio Valencia, Chris Smalling, Matteo Darmian, Phil Jones, Sam Johnstone, Donald Love, Marouane Fellaini, Axel Tuanzebe, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, Marcos Rojo, Sean Goss, Will Keane.

:eek:

Can you remember Wilson putting in any kind of performance under LVG that would suggest he should have been the main striker?
    Wasn't Wilson still playing with the U21s? It's not like he was rotting away on the bench doing nothing. He would have been training with and learning from the senior players.

The fact that he can't get a game for Brighton is not LVG's fault. If his lack of games for United is having an effect on his current situation that's his problem and it reeks of being mentally weak. He had no divine right to be playing regular football at United.

Performances under LVG shouldn't be a yardstick to measure forwards.

Rooney, Falcao, RVP, Hernandez, you can substitute any of those players into your last post and end up with the same result.

As ive already stated, Wilson going backwards is almost certainly LVG's fault, being picked for Brighton is another matter.

"Not sure how you've come to that conclusion. Sitting on the bench for 6 months behind a misfiring Rooney wasn't great for Wilson's development."

I think a player stuck on the bench for months behind underperforming players will indeed be challenged mentally in a different way to a young lad ticking along in a youth team who is then thrown in at the deep end. The motivations and enthusiasm will of course be different, thats only human nature.

Its the same reason I suspect Periera might not make a big impact should he ever finally get a game, he has been sitting chaffing there all season and its bound to put a different type of pressure on him to perform.

• Advertisement

I think a player stuck on the bench for months behind underperforming players will indeed be challenged mentally in a different way to a young lad ticking along in a youth team who is then thrown in at the deep end. The motivations and enthusiasm will of course be different, thats only human nature.

Its the same reason I suspect Periera might not make a big impact should he ever finally get a game, he has been sitting chaffing there all season and its bound to put a different type of pressure on him to perform.

Pereira is still ticking along in a youth team.

I hope all the people loosing the run of themselves re Rashford don't do a 180 once he misses the odd one on one or is forced to play in a crap turgid system like they have with. RVP, Falcao, Hernandez, Welbeck and now Wilson.

I actually missed the last 2 games so cant comment but im delighted for the lad but its not so long ago people were raving about Wilson and now there's not enough cope up to realised he's been messed about by LVG.

When will we stop making excuses for shocking management ?

Rashford got into the side at a time where we were playing decent football im sure if he played in the same side's Wilson has had to people would be writing him off as well.

I didn't make a pop at LVG based on him being dropped by Brighton im just continuing to highlight he has doe feck all to develop our young players.

Does anyone not think Wilson could have scored the goals Rashford has the past week ?

1. I didn't make any excuse or comment regarding management.
    2. Conjecture
    3. Didn't say you did.
    4. Irrelevant and pointless.

Should have kicked on this season but I think you already know that.

If you are going to equate the two then Wilson scored two goals on his debut as well. In other words, it remains to be seen if Rashfords exploits at this stage are anything more than an anomaly, I wouldn't rush to use him as an example of anything just yet.

Could I use him to say silly things? Like I said?

An interesting question is what would it take for Van Gaal to win me over, apart from the obvious answer of "getting the **** out."

For me it isn't necessarily about trophies, scraping into an FA cup or Europa league win wouldn't get him a pass from me. I want to see the team genuinely performing well and getting good results for an extended period, not scraping wins against poor teams, but actually playing good effective football and looking like a top team again. Most importantly there needs to be genuine signs of progress in the team, I want to be able point to players that have improved under his management, that have turned from good players into great players on a consistent basis.

Its been nearly two years of rubbish, it will need to be a good 8/10 months of good performances to even start to erase that memory and overturn the ****ups he has made. He doesn't need to win trophies as such, he just has to get them playing consistently to the level we should be at.

A few good games and stumbling into 4th wouldn't come close to winning me over.

I hope all the people loosing the run of themselves re Rashford don't do a 180 once he misses the odd one on one or is forced to play in a crap turgid system like they have with. RVP, Falcao, Hernandez, Welbeck and now Wilson.

I actually missed the last 2 games so cant comment but im delighted for the lad but its not so long ago people were raving about Wilson and now there's not enough cope up to realised he's been messed about by LVG.

Who is LOSING (notice the 1 o) the run of themselves over the lad? Barring the usual tongue in cheek posts every one serious has urged caution and restraint when it comes to him.

Edit: Do your club a favour and miss the next few games too actually will you? ;)

Performances under LVG shouldn't be a yardstick to measure forwards.

Rooney, Falcao, RVP, Hernandez, you can substitute any of those players into your last post and end up with the same result.

As ive already stated, Wilson going backwards is almost certainly LVG's fault, being picked for Brighton is another matter.

"Not sure how you've come to that conclusion. Sitting on the bench for 6 months behind a misfiring Rooney wasn't great for Wilson's development."

You can rightly or wrongly lay the blame for his "going backwards" while still at United at LVGs door. If he's still going backwards months later at a different club then that's most definitely his own problem.

I've been totally unimpressed by him outside of the youth setup to be quite honest. My memories of him are running around chewing gum and trying to look busy.

:rolleyes:

1. I didn't make any excuse or comment regarding management.
    2. Conjecture
    3. Didn't say you did.
    4. Irrelevant and pointless.

So do you believe LVG has helped develop Wilson or has he gone backwards ?

Original post.

• Advertisement

Should have kicked on this season but I think you already know that.

Why??? What has he done to take the place of someone else like Mata? Another that has flattered to deceive when given chances. Oh but you can't judge his performances under Van Gaal I hear you cry. Well guess what, he's the manager he has to impress.

This place is laughable. A couple of good performances and there's nothing to whinge about so they whinge about an academy player not getting a game at fúcking Brighton. Well done lads, you've surpassed my expectations.

So do you believe LVG has helped develop Wilson or has he gone backwards ?

Original post.

Nope, your post is not the original post.

That would be Tyson Fury.

Your post was basically a non-sequitur to the response(s) that followed.

Why??? What has he done to take the place of someone else like Mata? Another that has flattered to deceive when given chances. Oh but you can't judge his performances under Van Gaal I hear you cry. Well guess what, he's the manager he has to impress.

There were plenty of opportunities to drop the under-performing Mata this season, or to bring him in for Memphis and rotate him with Jessie.

Not sure how he's flattered either.

This place is laughable. A couple of good performances and there's nothing to whinge about so they whinge about an academy player not getting a game at fúcking Brighton. Well done lads, you've surpassed my expectations.

Lovely strawman :rolleyes:

yea its a joke!!

he is clearly not good enough, but could become a useful player down the line for some club, it just wont be a United or else he is a late developer and will have a good career at Utd, cant see it though

Nope, your post is not the original post.

That would be Tyson Fury.

Your post was basically a non-sequitur to the response(s) that followed.

You quoted that post to go on your rant.

Were you responding to me or Tyson when you quoted my post ?

Another that has flattered to deceive when given chances.

80 minutes over 4 sub appearances. Rashford already has more time on the field in 2 games than Periera has had all season.

Thats not giving the lad a chance, thats stringing him along all season, so to return to the point you either completely missed or deliberately ignored in my original post, of course it has an effect on these young lads mentally. Just ask Pogba what he thinks of that sort of thing.

Lovely strawman :rolleyes:

That's the truth, that was the sole purpose of Tyson Fury's post.

• Advertisement

You quoted that post to go on your rant.

Were you responding to me or Tyson when you quoted my post ?

In all fairness you can't expect me to spoon feed this to you and since you are now just making things up, i.e. rant, I suppose its time to end this one.

It was nice while it lased though wasn't it :)

Another good result during the week might buy a few more hours peace in here!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

What Rashford has done in the past two matches was pretty amazing but it would be massively premature to start expecting anything of him.

If he goes on to score another few goals between now and end of the season it will be great. Anything more than that would be cause for excitement :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The injuries excuse annoys me.

Noit just because, as said, its because he trimmed the squad down himself, but because for the majority of the season, we've been able to field 9 or 10 senior players for the majority of games.

When we went on our winless streak before Xmas, when we weren't scoring goals, it wasn't injuries that was the problem; by and large, Martial, Rooney, Memphis, Mata and Lingard have been fit and available, and thats the front line he wanted going into the season. Likewise, in midfield, we've had enough depth that we've not had to be fielding kids there, even when one or two players were out.

Defense, our wingbacks situation has been a disaster with injuries; our 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices have been out, and I accept that hurts a lot. But on the flipside, Smalling and Blind were the first choice defence at the start of the season, and have largely remained uninjured for the season too.

The last 2 weeks has sucked, injury wise, but its the first time I'd say that its really stripped the team down to bear bones. And, ironically, it's also been when we've been playing our best football! The last two games, in spite of an injury crisis, have been the most enjoyable as a United fan all season.

Injuries impacting the season as a whole is being overstated; outside of the RB and LB, this is the team he wanted, with the depth and coverage he wanted. And he couldn't get that team firing the way he needed to. It says something that we have scored more goals when we had to lose Rooney, had to stop relying on Martial, and turned to a kid who was 7th choice, and a kid who has been ostracized (rightly or wrongly) since last November. He is extremely lucky that Rashford and Memphis, two players he wouldn't have played unless forced to, have stepped up in the biggest way possible.

• Daily Fail with the bull****. With absolutly no source they are saying Rashford is refusing the contract offer he's recived

80 minutes over 4 sub appearances. Rashford already has more time on the field in 2 games than Periera has had all season.

Thats not giving the lad a chance, thats stringing him along all season, so to return to the point you either completely missed or deliberately ignored in my original post, of course it has an effect on these young lads mentally. Just ask Pogba what he thinks of that sort of thing.

How is it stringing him along? If he's not deemed to be good enough by the manager then that's just the way it is.
    Just because an armchair fan on a message board thinks he should be getting more time doesn't mean sh1t.
    Are you watching him in training? Do you think he is a shoe-in for how Van Gaal wants the team to set up?
    What would he offer the team that we are currently lacking?

Oh and Pogba hit the ground running at Juve iirc, the detrimental effect of not playing for United's first team didn't seem to stop him playing for another team.
    I definitely don't remember anybody whinging about him not playing well for Juve because of Fergie. They were pretty much amazed over there United let him go.

That's the truth, that was the sole purpose of Tyson Fury's post.

This implies your referring to multiple posters.

• Advertisement

This implies your referring to multiple posters.

Yeah well the cavalry arrived.

In all fairness you can't expect me to spoon feed this to you and since you are now just making things up, i.e. rant, I suppose its time to end this one.

It was nice while it lased though wasn't it :)

Another good result during the week might buy a few more hours peace in here!

Apologies mother. I'll only make posts you deem acceptable from now on. :rolleyes:

the-lego-movie-awesome-e1392309318427.png?w=600

Yeah well the cavalry arrived.

Like I said lovely strawman ;)

• Yes which one?? Popcorn anyone??

mjpopcornbitchplsjpg.gif

This also applies to this thread :P

So - how do we reckon we will get on in March?

Win every game and we will be in a very good position I reckon!

Through the FA Cup semi, EL quaters and a much better chance of getting CL football.

Can we win every game.... sure why not! Lets start with keeping this little run going and stuffing Watford tomorrow.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement