Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,861 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Pro. F wrote: »
    It was max 45 minutes work, spread over three days. You must have some spectacularly busy life if you can't spare that sort of time.

my life is even busier, spectacular wouldn't start to cover it :pac: I don't know why but that 'spread over three days' somehow made me laugh my tea out of my nose. You have entertained me a great deal sir and the best part is I didn't even see it coming, I tip my hat to you and now its time for a cold one !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Headshot wrote:
    Your not the Mitch I know

Don't you know Mitch has gone all fuzzy and warm and cuddly these days
    We all <3 this version of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I'd take either at United!!

Seen on reddit Marca are going with story of Real putting Isco and James up for sale.

Dunno our last real reject used us as a stop gap so I'd be inclined to leave them there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

brinty wrote: »
    Don't you know Mitch has gone all fuzzy and warm and cuddly these days
    We all <3 this version of him

Sadly just like this current little spell of good form/performance, we all know its only a matter of time before **** hits the fan again :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Starting to get worried about tomorrow now. Three wins in a row... four seems like too much to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Sadly just like this current little spell of good form/performance, we all know its only a matter of time before **** hits the fan again :D

Yep 1st of July isn't far off..... ;)

Starting to get worried about tomorrow now. Three wins in a row... four seems like too much to ask.

I was confident going into the Arsenal game but im not so confident about this one. Can see Watford sitting back and hitting us with one attack and scoring.

Hopefully our new fast moving mentality continues and im wrong which I usually am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's The Sun so most likely bollix but they claim Woodward,, Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck, Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis, City’s chief executive Ferran Soriano and Liverpool’s Ian Ayre held a meeting in London regarding a breakaway from the CL and getting nearer to a European Super League.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6969671/European-Super-League-summit-Manchester-United-Arsenal-Chelsea-Liverpool-and-Manchester-City-chiefs-in-secret-talks-to-leave-Premier-League.html

Strumms wrote: »
    my life is even busier, spectacular wouldn't start to cover it :pac: I don't know why but that 'spread over three days' somehow made me laugh my tea out of my nose. You have entertained me a great deal sir and the best part is I didn't even see it coming, I tip my hat to you and now its time for a cold one !

I think he's done valuable work. Plenty of people use this forum as a way of keeping up with the lesser known Man Utd stories and general goings on. So if he managed to prove that two lads were repeating bullshít when in fact they were full of shít themselves then I commend him. A lad with more class might have held his hands up and said "fair play, I got that wrong" without trying to dismantle the methods he proved you wrong but I suppose that isn't always the case.

The irony of making fun of him for keeping track of the Instagram account that you actually kept track of yourself is obviously lost on you. He just did it better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

zerks wrote: »
    It's The Sun so most likely bollix but they claim Woodward,, Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck, Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis, City’s chief executive Ferran Soriano and Liverpool’s Ian Ayre held a meeting in London regarding a breakaway from the CL and getting nearer to a European Super League.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6969671/European-Super-League-summit-Manchester-United-Arsenal-Chelsea-Liverpool-and-Manchester-City-chiefs-in-secret-talks-to-leave-Premier-League.html

Ha! That'd be hilarious if, just when Spurs finally, unequivocally qualify for the CL, everyone else ****s off to something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think he's done valuable work. Plenty of people use this forum as a way of keeping up with the lesser known Man Utd stories and general goings on. So if he managed to prove that two lads were repeating bullshít when in fact they were full of shít themselves then I commend him. A lad with more class might have held his hands up and said "fair play, I got that wrong" without trying to dismantle the methods he proved you wrong but I suppose that isn't always the case.

The irony of making fun of him for keeping track of the Instagram account that you actually kept track of yourself is obviously lost on you. He just did it better.

He spent 3 days checking time stamps on pictures to prove wrong an opinion that nobody cared about anyway.

Valuable is the last word I would use.

• Fcuk Leicester. Fcuk Spurs. Fcuk City and Arsenal.

COME ON UNITED. Whoop Watford tomorrow, play some quality football, score some nice goals.

I like the new Mitch

• So Interesting tonight...Very Interesting....

What way do we line up considering Martial, Smalling & Darmian are set to return....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So Interesting tonight...Very Interesting....

What way do we line up considering Martial, Smalling & Darmian are set to return....

Smalling straight back in. Carrick either on the bench or in for Morgan. Darmian left back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

So Interesting tonight...Very Interesting....

Rashford has to start imo

Played great the last two games no reason to take him out when he is up for it. That's what I love about pereira rashford lingard and varela four players that really wanna play for us and show passion and hustle in their games

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Is the idea it would just replace the CL for the clubs. Or take them out of the league entirely? Can't figure which the article is saying cause it seems to say just the CL, but also seems to imply at times that we would leave e PL too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

is it on the telly?

• Rashford has to start imo

Played great the last two games no reason to take him out when he is up for it. That's what I love about pereira rashford lingard and varela four players that really wanna play for us and show passion and hustle in their games
    It's not that straightforward
    So how does the team line up if Martial starts? (Which he will)

If we play a 4-4-2 then it pushes Mata out on the right which is pointless IMO
    One up front with runners for Mata to play to is actually providing us with much more menace in attack

Carrick v Morgan is another doozy, both providing positives and negatives depending on who starts

Then there's Ander..what happens him?
    Does Depay hold his place on the left?
    Lindgard was also playing well alongside Verela
    HMMMMM

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A win tonight and back to 10 points off the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Is the idea it would just replace the CL for the clubs. Or take them out of the league entirely? Can't figure which the article is saying cause it seems to say just the CL, but also seems to imply at times that we would leave e PL too.

The level of journalism there is beyond help imo.

IIRC there has been talk about this for a good while, and it is to replace the CL as alot of the club's that are in talks about it are becoming frustrated with how Uefa are running the competitions. It will be fixed to the clubs and the same clubs qualify every year which imo is pretty much sticking 2 fingers up at smaller clubs and saying they don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

is it on the telly?

No, Pool V City on TV

One up front with runners for Mata to play to is actually providing us with much more menace in attack

Carrick v Morgan is another doozy, both providing positives and negatives depending on who starts

HMMMMM
    Jesus we don't know ourselves with the options lol

The way the team is playing free-flowing attacking then agree mate will thrive in the 10 role mate on the wing is a big no no

Maybe martial on wing rashford up top with Mata behind him memphis needs to be involved for his confidence aswell he has showed he can play ball the past two games.

Don't get me wrong I see your point and by far martial is several classes above rashford

I just have a rashford horn :D

is it on the telly?

It's on my telly anyways :pac:

Not on any UK channels.. pool v city is the televised game

HMMMMM

Rashford

Memphis
    Mata
    Martial

I think thats what I'd like to see giving that Martial seems to prefer going down the line where Memphis like to cut back inside more but can also go down the line. I think if a team sits back we get Martial on the ball more in a wider area which is good for us.

I'd like us to keep the same midfield duo but can see one of them getting moved aside for Carrick.

Smalling back in and I'd have Rojo (if available) aqt LB ahead of Darmian keep Valera RB

astradave wrote: »
    It's on my telly anyways :pac:

Not on any UK channels.. pool v city is the televised game

What's the name of that site that shows what channels are showing the games?

I've seen it posted on here a few times

• Advertisement

Rashford

Memphis
    Mata
    Martial

I think thats what I'd like to see giving that Martial seems to prefer going down the line where Memphis like to cut back inside more but can also go down the line. I think if a team sits back we get Martial on the ball more in a wider area which is good for us.

I'd like us to keep the same midfield duo but can see one of them getting moved aside for Carrick.

Smalling back in and I'd have Rojo (if available) aqt LB ahead of Darmian keep Valera RB
    Basically that's what I'm thinking and have Morgan and Ander in midfield

http://liveonsat.com/los_soc_br_eng_ALL.php

The level of journalism there is beyond help imo.

IIRC there has been talk about this for a good while, and it is to replace the CL as alot of the club's that are in talks about it are becoming frustrated with how Uefa are running the competitions. It will be fixed to the clubs and the same clubs qualify every year which imo is pretty much sticking 2 fingers up at smaller clubs and saying they don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah. If I supported a team who weren't invited, I'd be really against it.

But as a team being invited, I'd selfishly be for it :P It would be a kick in the teeth for the likes of Leicester and other teams who can now compete thanks to TV money alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

HMMMMM
    I wouldn't be against Martial starting, really, as I am not convinced by Rashford - not to the extent I would drop our best attacking player this season for him. Rashford has obviously done well in the last two games, but it could be just the ball bouncing right for him rather than him being an exceptional talent. We should be patient with him, and we shouldn't be expecting too much of him. I'd worry about turning Rashford into another golden boy and expecting too much of him.

However, I would also argue that Martial has probably been over-used this season, and this Watford "should" be winnable by a similar side to what we saw at the weekend. Given the arguably more important games vs Liverpool and West Ham next week, it would probably be wise to be cautious with Martials fitness - so we should rest him where we can. Resting him today rather than away to WBA or any of the cup games over the next 2 weeks (and then City) would probably be the wise move.

My opinion is Smalling should come in for Carrick and, if Darmian is fit, I'd bring him in for Rojo at LB. I would keep the rest of the side the same, with Carrick, Rojo and Martial improving the quality on the bench - should we need to call on them.

• Advertisement

Yeah. If I supported a team who weren't invited, I'd be really against it.

But as a team being invited, I'd selfishly be for it :P It would be a kick in the teeth for the likes of Leicester and other teams who can now compete thanks to TV money alright.

They way it's being looked at is that Fans want to see the big teams play each other, I'd say Sky are behind it as well after losing out to BT for the rights to the CL. It's all about the numbers, I'm sure there is a greater lure for a fan to watch a match like Barca vs Bayern every week compared to some of the matches currently served up in the CL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Ljs live on sat

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Ljs live on sat

Nice one lads,my Canadian friends are showing the game :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They way it's being looked at is that Fans want to see the big teams play each other, I'd say Sky are behind it as well after losing out to BT for the rights to the CL. It's all about the numbers, I'm sure there is a greater lure for a fan to watch a match like Barca vs Bayern every week compared to some of the matches currently served up in the CL

They should be careful what they wish for, familiarity breeds contempt.

I think a big team only European league would take away the passion of European football. Yeh its nice to play the big teams but to eliminate the underdogs and lesser teams would ruin it.

Basically that's what I'm thinking and have Morgan and Ander in midfield

Ya I seen your post after I posted and I was like what Dark Knight said :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jayo26 wrote: »
    I think a big team only European league would take away the passion of European football. Yeh its nice to play the big teams but to eliminate the underdogs and lesser teams would ruin it.

I don't agree.

The special european nights are against Barca, Juve, Munich etc - not away to CSKA or Batislav Borisov.

If United were battling in a league or cup format every other week vs the biggest sides in Europe it would be amazing.

The bigger worry, imo, is the damage it would do to the premier league - and not in terms of further expanding the financial devide. I could see such a super league becoming the priority and the league not really mattering any more - ie. we would rest players to have them fit for the game vs Barca or Real etc rather than play full strength in the league in order to win (or place top 4). If there are no league based entry criteria, then the priority of the league would lessen, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

I don't agree.

The special european nights are against Barca, Juve, Munich etc - not away to CSKA or Batislav Borisov.

If United were battling in a league or cup format every other week vs the biggest sides in Europe it would be amazing.

The bigger worry, imo, is the damage it would do to the premier league - and not in terms of further expanding the financial devide. I could see such a super league becoming the priority and the league not really mattering any more - ie. we would rest players to have them fit for the game vs Barca or Real etc rather than play full strength in the league in order to win (or place top 4). If there are no league based entry criteria, then the priority of the league would lessen, imo.

And Arsenal are against this? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Schneiderlin is annoying in that he's only really had one game where you could say he was immune to criticism this season and that was against Everton a good few months back at this stage.

I thought he did a lot of good things against Arsenal but then winds up being somewhat at fault for a goal.

He's trying to be like Carrick when he's more of a Henderson type of player imo. Far better getting box to box but at United he stays deep even with another deep player beside him. I know the team has been bad this season in general but he has been a disappointment and a seemingly unneeded signing at the stage he was signed with Carrick and Schweinsteiger around (though you could argue Schweinsteiger is the odd one there I guess though his leadership is something the squad would need I thought).

He has to find his role in the team, I was writing there whether that would be the Carrick, Matic or Henderson type of player but he has to become the Schneiderlin player and not try to play like anyone else. Last season he was attacking and defending, scoring and making tackles and a leader for his team. I'm starting to worry that it may have been a step too far moving to a team expecting to win for the first time at this stage of his career but maybe that's melodramatic.

paulbok wrote: »
    And Arsenal are against this? :D

I can understand why Liverpool would want this badly. :)

• Advertisement

Looks like every club named are quickly distancing themselves from the story this morning about the Super League.

Amazing how quick we can deny involvement with something when we want to ;)

Was looking at that there,is it just me or do some of them photos looked like they are photoshopped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,648 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Not sure why Liverpool are there thou

Oh yes I went there lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Super league on paper sounds incredible, and everything around it always enticed me.

But I'd say it will very much move football away from that stereotyped"working class" stadium fan thing. You'd be paying serious ticket prices for that.

I've always liked the idea of the Champions league being an actual league. Where three teams get relegated every season, and from all the national leagues there is a tournament to find the three teams promoted into it.

Everyone about it though, or the super league ****, is such a change and move away from the norm don't ever see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

European super league has been talked about for years going well back as far as late 90s early 2000's.

it would be a disaster, it would be a league for the super rich, the death of all national leagues and only the super rich fan could afford to go to games.

no thanks

Madrid want Jose back but he has pre-contract agreed with United according to El Pais.

http://elpais.com/m/deportes/2016/02/28/actualidad/1456697955_584495.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Its just rehash, rinse and repeat with these stories, same ones every few days as if there is anything new in them. Are they not the same crowd that ran that exact same story a few days ago? Something along the lines of them (Madrid) being in contact with him through January but backed off when they found out he had a pre contract with United, they think he used their interest to pressure United, there are penalty clauses if either party pulls out etc (very convenient clauses for the paper in fact since Mou can not end up at United and they can still claim to be right)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Its just rehash, rinse and repeat with these stories, same ones every few days as if there is anything new in them. Are they not the same crowd that ran that exact same story a few days ago? Something along the lines of them (Madrid) being in contact with him through January but backed off when they found out he had a pre contract with United, they think he used their interest to pressure United, there are penalty clauses if either party pulls out etc (very convenient clauses for the paper in fact since Mou can not end up at United and they can still claim to be right)

Yeap, same story, same source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Yeap, same story, same source.

Next they'll be telling us that Van Gaal is going to take over at United after the World Cup.

• Advertisement

Next they'll be telling us that Van Gaal is going to take over at United after the World Cup.

Newcastle United?:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement