Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Huge 3 points. Barely deserved but delighted anyway.

It's quite staggering how ****e the league is this season. Fourth is still a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

can you imagine if we overtook city and got champions league spot....

I would love to see the look on Pep's face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well that was awful in the best possible way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

f**k me. I'm wrecked after that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,866 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Strumms wrote: »
    could be a point gained depending on what happens tomorrow... I'd give West Ham a chance at home in the London derby, have a feeling Liverpool might do a number on City at home although Swansea taking anything at the Emirates out of Arsenal I can't see happening but hey it's been a crazy season so far.... might put on a little bet that maybe those top sides all loosing.. 2 euros no harm no foul and all that...

And to think that I passed the bookies at 7 but it I go in and do that bet :rolleyes:

Still great night for us with how those results fell....all be it a bit dodge performance wise from us from the most part...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Did any of you see the smirk on Scholseys face lads?

It was as close to erupting into a full blown shyt eating grin as its ever been.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

City and Arsenal have both lost 3 league games in a row.

Bottling it. We should be a dot in their rearview mirror.

Would love to see us overtake City to make it that Pep doesn't get CL football :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Lads stop talking about 4th. There's not much of a gap to the title considering it's Leicester. We beat them at home then it's only 7 points we need to pull back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Well that was awful in the best possible way.

I didn't think it was awful as everyone thought. It's the teams 4th game in 10 days with out being able to rest many bodies.

Great win. I would love it, love it if we catch them :)

Great results for Leicester I'd say they're all up on a table but naked dancing after that weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Awful performance and should have lost by 2 or 3 but what a great fcuking 3 points - delighted!! :)

It is still incredibly worrying that Utd can put in a first half performance like that.
    The lack of application by some of the players is bordering on disgraceful.

It's as clear as day to anyone who watches them, speed up the tempo, press quicker when you don't have the ball(neither of which happened in the first half as well as many many mistakes)and things will happen and the opposition will make more mistakes, give up possession further up the pitch etc.

Oh and Daley Blind. Seriously, hang your head in shame after a display like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Real swings and roundabouts there. We played some turgid stuff and then some fantastic stuff, especially in that second half.

Cracker of a free kick and I don't understand why Mata isn't the designated free taker. Memphis has the Ronaldo about him when it comes to frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

It's great to see we finally have pace in the side. We were crap for spells, but when Memphis, Martial and Ashford got on the ball and could run with it things began to happen. Hopefully we continue with this set-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Lord TSC wrote: »
    City and Arsenal have both lost 3 league games in a row.

Bottling it. We should be a dot in their rearview mirror.

Would love to see us overtake City to make it that Pep doesn't get CL football :P

West Ham are only a point behind us. Might get Arsenal and City out of the CL spots with their current form.

Jayop wrote: »
    Lads stop talking about 4th. There's not much of a gap to the title considering it's Leicester. We beat them at home then it's only 7 points we need to pull back.

3rd is unrealistic. Title talk is folly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Absolutely blessed to get away with 3 points from that, we were very poor. City, Arsenal and Spurs all losing makes it even sweeter.

Let's not do this to ourselves. I will take fourth right now if it was offered to us. We have far too many games to try and reclaim a 10 point gap and Leicester have only lost 3 games this season:eek:

Right, Spurs are playing Arsenal at home next weekend, so that's dropped points there for someone or both.
    Leicester are playing Watford away and as we just seen, that's not going to be a gimme for them.
    City have a banker at home to Villa.
    United should beat a poor West Brom side away.

After nest weeks games the table could easily look like this...

Leicester - 57
    Spurs - 55
    Arsenal - 52
    City - 50
    United - 50

Time to dream!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It's the hope that kills you, you know.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »

Leicester play Watford this weekend so it could easily be down to 7 points with us to play them at Old Trafford.

I'd take that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Title talk :rolleyes: Be lucky to hang on to fifth playing like tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Arsenal though...

A3fOysg.jpg

I'm a dreamer and always have been. Sure it's a huge long shot, but not as long as Leicester winning the league from the start of the season was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,866 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

adox wrote: »

On on paper is doable but we can't expect to keep putting in performances like tonight and expect to come away with points. No real reason to base hopes of a top 3 finish on a run of form and results that probably won't happen. If we say 4 seasons ago were in this position id say we give it a great shot anyway and teams just above us would be genuinely fearful of us but I just can't say that about this group of players and set up.

Just on Lingard too. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but although he's not the only one with pace in the team, he is the most direct hence uses his pace the most, more or less forcing the team to play quicker in spurts.
    Now I'm not saying he's the best player in the team or anything but with this seasons struggles to get away from the plod football, he may be one of the most important in terms of getting the team playing faster and playing better.

Leicester picked up 4 points from the last three games. Three of those came from a late goal equally as jammy as our win tonight was. If we can keep on clipping away games getting three points then we've got a very outside chance.

I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

It's the hope that kills you, you know.

Its the hope that drives you on....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Strumms wrote: »
    On on paper is doable but we can't expect to keep putting in performances like tonight and expect to come away with points. No real reason to base hopes of a top 3 finish on a run of form and results that probably won't happen. If we say 4 seasons ago were in this position id say we give it a great shot anyway and teams just above us would be genuinely fearful of us but I just can't say that about this group of players and set up.

Think this is it.

We absolutely stole the 3 points tonight, while everyone else above us threw away points. Its great and we look in a better position, but thinking all four teams above us will bottle to THAT extent that we win the title...not. a. chance.

We might be able to slip in ahead of City; since they announced Pep, they've fallen apart, and if the Jose deal is done, it possibly justifies not announcing it. Arsenal might flop down to, but we'd have to be very lucky to get past them.

Spurs and Leicester will stay above us. Not a chance we go past them. Thinking we can is pure ignorance of how bad we've been this season, and how lucky we are not to be further down the table.

• Advertisement

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Its the hope that drives you on....

Yep, it's an intrinsic part of watching football for me, always dreaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Leicester picked up 4 points from the last three games. Three of those came from a late goal equally as jammy as our win tonight was. If we can keep on clipping away games getting three points then we've got a very outside chance.

Thing about it is, United arent playing like they are going to take 30 points from the next 10 PL games to put pressure on them. LCFC might be stumbling a bit, but they are 10 points ahead. They have a hell of a buffer built up. Even if LCFC do stumble, Spurs, Arsenal and even Man City are better placed to take advantage.

• Crucial Win

My thoughts on the Game;

Daily Blind was atrocious all day and in multiple occasions he gifted Watford guilt edge opportunities. Carrick IMO would have done a better job and would have even offered more in relation to forward play. We were lucky Igahola was not on form.
    Fosu-Mensah covered for Blind all night. I thought he did really well.
    Depay was poor in his final ball, frustrating at times but what he didn't do in a creative sense he made up for in his defensive duties and he's now starting to use his brain. He didn't give away possession needlessly and he frustrated Watford in the last 10 minutes.
    Rashford played with scraps but looked the most threathing regardless and made some good runs. He cleared the ball off the line in the first half!!
    Morgan did his job well and nearly scored a great goal. He was let down by Blind also.
    Mata stood up as Captain and made the difference. Great free kick. LVG made a good call in not taking him off, instead subbing off Herrera which was the correct call as he was poor throughtout.
    Valera was competent but didn't work well with Martial IMO.

We rode our luck, wasn't a good performance first half in particular but in the end got the result.

I'm buzzing here, with results going our way season has turned on its head regardless what way you look at it.

Gwan Utd!!!

I didn't think tonight was as bad as many others seem to have performance wise, ok we only played in parts I agree, but I expected a patchy performance given the amount of games in such a short space of time, on that squad....

Watford played really well tonight, on another day if they had their shooting boots on we would have been destroyed but thankfully that was a part of their game they left behind. The intent was there all night I thought, just very poor execution or poor timing for the most part, delighted to come away with 3 points especially with the other results.

As I said it is the hope that kills you, and the hope will be there to be clung on to for the fans again now but by hook or by crook, a win is a win and at this time of year it doesn't matter how you win them as long as you are knocking them down. It may be the bottle and a half of wine in me right now, but I am prety ****ing excited about how this season may end up after all the suffering to this point! I'm sure I'll think better of it tomorrow and realise we will be poxed to get 4th if it happens, and actually, very quickly the feeling of pissing myself at Pep starting off his first season without CL football with ****ty City is becoming an achivebale target for me

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

If my aunt had balls......

if Liverpool keep clipping away...
    If West Ham keep clipping away...
    If Utd keep clipping away...
    So on and so on...

None of the above have a hope of winning the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RobertKK wrote: »
    My wish: United, Liverpool, Swansea and West Ham wins.

Sometimes wishes come true.

• Advertisement

Right, Spurs are playing Arsenal at home next weekend, so that's dropped points there for someone or both.
    Leicester are playing Watford away and as we just seen, that's not going to be a gimme for them.
    City have a banker at home to Villa.
    United should beat a poor West Brom side away.

After nest weeks games the table could easily look like this...

Leicester - 57
    Spurs - 55
    Arsenal - 52
    City - 50
    United - 50

Time to dream!!

Villa, Watford, Palace, United, Everton, and a draw in the spurs game is 2373/1 just saying.

its going to be a great weekend

Booooooooooo.. Your right but

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oh oh oh, big word tonight for Fosu-Mensah

Especially considering he had to play beside that tit all night tonight and was on a booking from early on he was excellent for a lad making his full debut, he has impressed me big time in the reserve teams and I am delighted for him tonight that he did himself proud, he has bags of potential

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

My wish: United win the title.

To say that Spurs, Arsenal and Leicester 100% won't bottle is a huge leap. 2 of them are proven bottlers who have already started to bottle it and Leicester are completely unproven.

to play each other again this season
    Spurs and Arse
    City and Arsenal

So that's either 3 or 4 points gone from above us in both games.

Plus we have to play..

United and City
    Spurs and United
    United and Leicester

If we can win those we're right in the mix.

• Advertisement

Any one elses Coopa stream change to a girl and fella clown Ice skating to30s music?

Well done to Louis too for throwing the kitchen sink at it and going full on attacking with his Lingard sub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Just a heads up. MOTD is down as 11.45 tonight on BBConeNI but it is on at 10.45 on BBCone London if you can manage to get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Fair play to Fosu-Mensah, played extremely well considering Blind looked as if he was on LSD for most of the game. Was hoping this was going to wake us up and set the tone but a great challenge early on all the same:

https://twitter.com/HridhayRajkumar/status/705125177953136640

That was class as was his first tackle.

Well done to Louis too for throwing the kitchen sink at it and going full on attacking with his Lingard sub

True, although I thought Herrera was playing well, especially in the second half. The quick tempo suits his game better I think.

The last sub was just weird.

Ighalo...dear god. Someone send him a box of chocolates for that performance.

• adox wrote: »
    True, although I thought Herrera was playing well, especially in the second half. The quick tempo suits his game better I think.

The last sub was just weird.
    Swore it was McNair that came on
    Could be wrong but I think Blind moved to midfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Just a heads up. MOTD is down as 11.45 tonight on BBConeNI but it is on at 10.45 on BBCone London if you can manage to get it

Cheers for that did a rescan of my channels to London area dont have to wait up now.

Oh and I know I'm probably in a minority of one but I thought that Schneiderlin was just ok tonight. An improvement on the weekend but a bit underwhelming again.

Stats may differ but he's been a disappointment so far.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement