Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

10 PL games to go - 5 home (Palace, Everton, Villa, Leicester, Bournemouth) 5 Away (West Brom, City, Spurs, West Ham, Norwich)

We'll be doing extremely well to get top 4 IMO... some very hard games there!

• adox wrote: »
    Oh and I know I'm probably in a minority of one but I thought that Schneiderlin was just ok tonight. An improvement on the weekend but a bit underwhelming again.

Stats may differ but he's been a disappointment so far.

What are you expecting from him out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Swore it was McNair that came on
    Could be wrong but I think Blind moved to midfield

Yeah I just didn't get it though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

irishfeen wrote: »
    10 PL games to go - 5 home (Palace, Everton, Villa, Leicester, Bournemouth) 5 Away (West Brom, City, Spurs, West Ham, Norwich)

We'll be doing extremely well to get top 4 IMO... some very hard games there!

The home games, Leicester would be the closest to guaranteed dropped points imo; we should be taking 3 from Palace, Villa and Bournemouth, and should get at least a draw vs Everton.

The away games though; City, Spurs and West Ham will all be well up for it, and we'd be doing well to get anything from them. Norwich and Brom could go either way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Oh oh oh, big word tonight for Fosu-Mensah

Especially considering he had to play beside that tit all night tonight and was on a booking from early on he was excellent for a lad making his full debut, he has impressed me big time in the reserve teams and I am delighted for him tonight that he did himself proud, he has bags of potential

He made a few mistakes and was a bit rash at times, but on the whole he did very well for a player making his debut paired with a partner who was clearly drunk.

Love the way he likes to get in for a tackle, but he will perhaps needs to learn when not to. There was one he made in the box when he was already on a yellow that looked from the angle of the camera like it could have been a penalty and a second card. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

adox wrote: »

Wasting time and he was probably the most senior player on the bench at that stage.

If my aunt had balls......

if Liverpool keep clipping away...
    If West Ham keep clipping away...
    If Utd keep clipping away...
    So on and so on...

None of the above have a hope of winning the league.

Bookies think we have between 3-5% chance its not much but it had been 0.5% I'll hope and dream but i'm happy atm to be in with a chance of 4th and as stringer said I'd love nothing more than beating city to 4th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The home games, Leicester would be the closest to guaranteed dropped points imo; we should be taking 3 from Palace, Villa and Bournemouth, and should get at least a draw vs Everton.

The away games though; City, Spurs and West Ham will all be well up for it, and we'd be doing well to get anything from them. Norwich and Brom could go either way...

30 points. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,648 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Less danger from Blind giving the ball away stupidly if he is further up the field?

According to Sky Sports, Mata's goal was the 999th PL goal scored at Old Trafford, and we're on track to be the first team to score the 1000th home goal in the PL.

After United, the next Premier League club closest to hitting 1,000 goals at their home stadium is Arsenal, who are on 911 - although those strikes are split across their old ground Highbury and their new Emirates Stadium.

Chelsea have scored the third-most home goals in the Premier League, hitting the net 893 times at Stamford Bridge.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15115/10187461/manchester-united-near-1000-old-trafford-premier-league-goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

It still amazes me the free ride wenger gets off the media. Arsenal fans going mental tonight.

This would have been the type of season an Alex Ferguson team would have been 10 points clear at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Bringing an extra defender on to help the backline with any aerial challenges I'd imagine. If we were to concede any corners we'd have a few small lads back defending if they sent everyone up.

What are you expecting from him out of interest?

Some decent performances. :D

I want him to impose himself on the game more. You see glimpses of it throughout a game but not enough. Also his distribution is poor. I know it's not the strongest part of his game but still he's been poor in that department.

When a game passes by midfielders I always find that a worry. It happens to Herrera sometimes but it happens to Schneiderlin quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I fell asleep at half time, woke up at 10.18pm, didn't know what time it was, thought it was the middle of the night, looked at phone, saw it wasn't, asked Siri for 'Premier League table', that looked good, then asked Siri for 'Premier League results'.
    It was worth a nice sleep, and to wake up and to be not dreaming like I was at half time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

True, although I thought Herrera was playing well, especially in the second half. The quick tempo suits his game better I think.

The last sub was just weird.

Yeah I commented on it in the match thread I think, I understand wanting to get a defensive player on and an attacking player off, it just looked so weird

Where did McNair play when he came on? I couldn't see my screen properly anymore, was dancing and singing...alot...

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Bringing an extra defender on to help the backline with any aerial challenges I'd imagine. If we were to concede any corners we'd have a few small lads back defending if they sent everyone up.

Yeah but if you are taking Blind out of the back line(thank **** for that)just take him off the pitch and leave Herrera where he is. Herrera was doing fine and Blind was having a nightmare. Plus I hate those subs where one player comes on and players are shifted around to compensate.

Blind was the worst player on the pitch tonight.

Jayop wrote: »
    30 points. :D

And maybe a few bonus points for our possesion stats :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    It still amazes me the free ride wenger gets off the media. Arsenal fans going mental tonight.

This would have been the type of season an Alex Ferguson team would have been 10 points clear at this stage

Its only the written press that give him a free pass the pundits have been spit on with him lately. Nice to see their fans going ape for a change this season.

Swore it was McNair that came on
    Could be wrong but I think Blind moved to midfield

That would make sense, McNair to cb, Schneiderlin and Blind both as DM's to shore up the lead.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Yeah I commented on it in the match thread I think, I understand wanting to get a defensive player on and an attacking player off, it just looked so weird

Where did McNair play when he came on? I couldn't see my screen properly anymore, was dancing and singing...alot...

It looked like McNair went into the back four with Blind moving into midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It was a poor performance and we were lucky to get a win.

I think if people had looked more closely at the Arsenal performance at the weekend, the supposedly good run we've been on and the issues in the team that have been there since Van Gaal took over, the performance tonight wouldn't have been any sort of surprise.

I was very impressed with Rashford tonight. He's answering every question asked of him so far.

• adox wrote: »

I want him to impose himself on the game more. You see glimpses of it throughout a game but not enough. Also his distribution is poor. I know it's not the strongest part of his game but still he's been poor in that department.

When a game passes by midfielders I always find that a worry. It happens to Herrera sometimes but it happens to Schneiderlin quite a lot.
    Yea I get what your saying and definatly agree there are areas which he could improve on.
    But his primary attribute is the one that you probably don't notice. Same against Arsenal at the weekend. It's all about breaking up any AM threat the opposition pose IMO.

He wasn't signed to be a world class midfield general though. He was signed because he was available, a capable PL midfielder and better than what we had in that position, and he continues to be. I think Carrick's age means an upgrade should be sought this season, in which case Schneiderlin can still serve in rotation.

• I have a feeling MicksJaguar is trying to beat my thank record :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

jayo26 wrote: »
    Its only the written press that give him a free pass the pundits have been spit on with him lately. Nice to see their fans going ape for a change this season.

In all fairness, the last 10 years for arsenal has been the same. Go well up until February and then collapse in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I agree, I'm not sure if they were both playing box to box but with those 2 in the team you expect Schneiderlin to be the one breaking up the play but Watford had plenty of free runs at the defense.

Plenty of vitriol being thrown at Blind in here. He wasn't good but he's been very good all season so it's disappointing to see everyone turn on him like this after just the one bad performance. Where would the team have been on Sunday without him?

Yeah but if you are taking Blind out of the back line(thank **** for that)just take him off the pitch and leave Herrera where he is. Herrera was doing fine and Blind was having a nightmare. Plus I hate those subs where one player comes on and players are shifted around to compensate.

I can't say for sure, but I definitely agree 100% with that

He was absolutely woeful, did his bets to **** the team over all night! Shockingly bad performance and I hope he is given a dressing down for it.,

bangkok wrote: »
    In all fairness, the last 10 years for arsenal has been the same. Go well up until February and then collapse in March.

Less excuses this season with City, Chelsea and even United imploding and Spurs and LCFC of all people ahead of him. I saw last week a buildup article to the Arsenal game arguing that Wenger deserved to be seen in the same bracket as Ferguson. Not even close tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Sand wrote: »
    He wasn't signed to be a world class midfield general though. He was signed because he was available, a capable PL midfielder and better than what we had in that position, and he continues to be. I think Carrick's age means an upgrade should be sought this season, in which case Schneiderlin can still serve in rotation.

What Adox is describing is not a world class midfield general, it's just a good central midfielder.

• Advertisement

Sand wrote: »

No contract for Carrick yet either, maybe his last year at the club? I can see some teams (top ones) who would make him offers so hope the club, if they have no interest in keeping him, have some experienced top level midfielder out there they are confident of signing.

Yea I get what your saying and definatly agree there are areas which he could improve on.
    But his primary attribute is the one that you probably don't notice. Same against Arsenal at the weekend. It's all about breaking up any AM threat the opposition pose IMO.

I do notice it. I just don't think it's consistent enough. Carrick is actually better at it than him. Carrick time and again picks the pocket of the attacking player winning possession back.

Schneiderlin is a more physical player with a better engine. He could and should be imposing himself on games more.

Pro. F wrote: »
    What Adox is describing is not a world class midfield general, it's just a good central midfielder.

A guy who Adox says can impose himself on a game, but not often enough is not at least a "good" central midfielder?

What is a "very good" central midfielder by that standard?

I have a feeling MicksJaguar is trying to beat my thank record :pac:

I'm just so happy... I think I has sex weeeeeeeeeeeeeee..
    I passed up a few of the negative ones... Its actually quite fun you are def onto something..

Hope yerman doesnt feel bad with our intruding

I've gone threads wide Mick too you wont stop me now

Pro. F wrote: »

He has played within himself all season imo, disappointing overall, hopefully he kicks on but he has been underwhelming so far, and may be another to add to the pile of players who looked great until you took them out of the Southampton team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You know I would love to see LVG get a CL spot and fade away into the sunset in the summer. I like LVG most of the times and I like to see a pleasent ending for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Enjoy the result, but worry about that performance.

Because that performance was right in line with the performances over the past two years that got us into this position, so if you want to hope that a corner has been turned and that we are going to push on, what we saw tonight should leave you very concerned. A win is a win, but we won't win anything performing like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Two things

Firstly, it was a lacklustre performance but it was our 4th games in 10 days for an injury ravaged squad compared to Watords 3rd in 12 days. Sometimes you need to dig deep and scrape an ugly win, we did that, it wasn't pretty but we did it.

Secondly, YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!! what a massive result, every other possible result went our way tonight.

Tofu Messiah......or whatever his name is........was great tonight, he did a Varela on Sunday and played with great composure and maturity after an early booking, also considering Blind didn't show up he done very well.

Get in.

• Enjoy the result, but worry about that performance.

Because that performance was right in line with the performances over the past two years that got us into this position, so if you want to hope that a corner has been turned and that we are going to push on, what we saw tonight should leave you very concerned. A win is a win, but we won't win anything performing like that.
    But we just won :P

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    You know I would love to see LVG get a CL spot and fade away into the sunset in the summer. I like LVG most of the times and I like to see a pleasent ending for him

I fear getting a CL spot would see him with us for another year :(

Really am hoping the Jose deal is done, and, as you said, he gets a decent send off via a CL spot.

United with CL spot and City with Europa League would be very good. Pep must be getting concerned.

Tofu Messiah.....
    Get in.

He's not the Messiah he's a very naughty boy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

He has played within himself all season imo, disappointing overall, hopefully he kicks on but he has been underwhelming so far, and may be another to add to the pile of players who looked great until you took them out of the Southampton team.

Same could be said of Shaw last season,he wasn't overly impressive but came back and looked like he was going to have a stormer of a season before injury cut it short

What did ye think of Fosu Mensah tonight? I thought he did ok given that he had no support from his CB partner who was away in a field of tulips for most of the game,

I would like to see Smalling and Mensah given a game together.

Cech is out of the derby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No contract for Carrick yet either, maybe his last year at the club? I can see some teams (top ones) who would make him offers so hope the club, if they have no interest in keeping him, have some experienced top level midfielder out there they are confident of signing.

I wouldn't worry too much about keeping Carrick to be honest, he will be 35 in the summer and has started missing plenty of games through injury, we need to be looking for his replacement now anyway. Instead of having him hanging about as the proverbial "experienced squad option" lets just replace him and start improving this squad a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

The whole point is to add height not take height out. If we concede a corner (or even lack possession and they're whipping in crosses) and they pushed everyone then we've Lingard, Mata, Darmian, Depay marking for a corner (think it was Rashford and Varela on posts) against a much taller side. It's a standard move I thought.

Lord TSC wrote: »

Really am hoping the Jose deal is done, and, as you said, he gets a decent send off via a CL spot.

10 points off the top, sure we are going for the title if we keep our current 11 day form going.

Louis will retire at the top.

• Lord TSC wrote: »

I honestly don't think so. Hes gone regardless but to Headshots point it would be nice to see him leave with a trophy in the cabinet and top 4 achieved.
    You will get your Jose :P

I wouldn't worry too much about keeping Carrick to be honest, he will be 35 in the summer and has started missing plenty of games through injury, we need to be looking for his replacement now anyway. Instead of having him hanging about as the proverbial "experienced squad option" lets just replace him and start improving this squad a bit.

I am not too pushed about Carrick on a personal level, I like him, but don't mind him moving on once he is replaced properly.

Also, it cannot be overlooked completely how young the squad is becoming and how inexperienced it is with winning things, as long as Carrick is replaced, and you would hope, improved upon, I am alright with this being his last year.

The whole point is to add height not take height out. If we concede a corner (or even lack possession and they're whipping in crosses) and they pushed everyone then we've Lingard, Mata, Darmian, Depay marking for a corner (think it was Rashford and Varela on posts) against a much taller side. It's a standard move I thought.

My point was bring McNair on and take Blind off.
    I suppose Blind is stronger in the air than Herrera but not particularly strong. It would be pretty strange reasoning to leave Blind on the pitch playing in MF for his aerial ability in case Utd concede corners.

Switching McNair for Blind would take height out of the team

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement