Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This is gas coming from you. You spend your time in this thread trying to shout down anybody with anything remotely positive to say.

No I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Nice edit. If you're going to make personal remarks then just own your ****ing words and leave them there, it reflects more on you than me.

At times I think certain people on here could really do with a few pills.

Guy 1 makes a comment. Guy 2 comments on Guy 1's statement. Guy 3 comes in and completely changes the goalposts and calls Guy 2 out on something that he may or may not of seen. But hey, if it stirs some controversy its all good.

At times I think certain people on here could really do with a few pills.

Guy 1 makes a comment. Guy 2 comments on Guy 1's statement. Guy 3 comes in and completely changes the goalposts and calls Guy 2 out on something that he may or may not of seen. But hey, if it stirs some controversy its all good.

Pointing something out is not moving the goalposts. Your post 2084 was a perfectly reasonable response to what I pointed out and little else needed to be said, the only problem is that the usual suspects jumped in with their usual shtick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Massive 3 points last night and going by other results last night it was a mega 3 points!!!

• 3630408.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Nice to be back back in the hunt.

Massive boost last night the way the other games went, if we win on Sunday City will be sweating. Arsenal needing a result against Spurs too could easily find themselves caught if they keep this collapse up.

Football eh?? Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Pointing something out is not moving the goalposts.

Saying something is not hyperbole, to the point where you try change what they said to make it seem more reasonable, then giving up that and switching to a position of, well hyperbole only gets called out when its negative is a pretty good example of moving goalposts.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

My response to you was perfectly polite and reasonable. You began your post by calling the hyperbole phenomenal, its perfectly reasonable to note that the hyperbole only gets called out when it relates to negativity.

I'm not insinuating it was a nasty post, I'm simply stating it was dumbfounded. You're assuming I read every reply in here. I don't.

As stated I agree with title challenges being unrealistic. But I can also see why some people would throw it out there as a "tongue in cheek" comment when 3 of the top 4 lose and another draw and we're 10 behind and have to play 3 of the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    3630408.jpg

Well we did the the few hours of peace in fairness. :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Saying something is not hyperbole, to the point where you try change what they said to make it seem more reasonable, then giving up that and switching to a position of, well hyperbole only gets called out when its negative is a pretty good example of moving goalposts.

You should try reading the posts again. Take yours and Freds crap out of there and it would have been a perfectly short and reasonable discussion.

• Advertisement

Pointing something out is not moving the goalposts. Your post 2084 was a perfectly reasonable response to what I pointed out and little else needed to be said, the only problem is that the usual suspects jumped in with their usual shtick.

Like i said, I agree with you. But I still think in your reply you're pretty much saying, and i paraphrase here. "why call his out but not the title challenge posts" To which I simply stated i didn't see them :)

But it could be misconstrued by, as you put it, "the usual suspects" as an attempt to derail a post based on the assumption that the poster is selective in his use of calling out hyperbolic posts. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Now - on to West Brom.

Wonder who will manage to maim themselves in the next couple of days.

A couple of very big weeks coming up - West Brom (tough enough game) followed by very big and very difficult games vs Liverpool, West Ham, Liverpool and City - in terms of confidence, feel good factor and actually giving ourselves a chance at a reasonably good season - we have to win all of those matches.

With a squad stretched to well beyond breaking point, and the players already looking nackered it is going to be a big ask. We need Smalling and Carrick to be fit for the weekend, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

No contract for Carrick yet either, maybe his last year at the club? I can see some teams (top ones) who would make him offers so hope the club, if they have no interest in keeping him, have some experienced top level midfielder out there they are confident of signing.
    I wouldn't worry too much about keeping Carrick to be honest, he will be 35 in the summer and has started missing plenty of games through injury, we need to be looking for his replacement now anyway. Instead of having him hanging about as the proverbial "experienced squad option" lets just replace him and start improving this squad a bit.

How likely is it that Carrick is not being offered a new contract until a new manager has been announced (if it is going to happen)? Or would it be LVG's decision to make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

RobertKK wrote: »
    Southampton's results would fall off a cliff when Schneiderlin was injured or suspended.
    He also has a good record (overall result) for United when he plays.

United's results fall off a cliff when Smalling does play. Schneiderlin has been underwhelming and you can see he has no what he's doing or where he's supposed to be most of the time. Now this could be from management but he was better at Southampton when he had Wanyama covering for his gaps. I feel like him and Herrera may be quite similar but Herrera is the better player.

Like i said, I agree with you. But I still think in your reply you're pretty much saying, and i paraphrase here. "why call his out but not the title challenge posts" To which I simply stated i didn't see them :)

Which is perfectly fine, my original post was a question, not an accusation. If you didn't see them then you didn't see them, and even if you had its not necessarily a big problem.

For saying that I get a page of personal remarks from the usuals. Same old same old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Now - on to West Brom.

Wonder who will manage to maim themselves in the next couple of days.

A couple of very big weeks coming up - West Brom (tough enough game) followed by very big and very difficult games vs Liverpool, West Ham, Liverpool and City - in terms of confidence, feel good factor and actually giving ourselves a chance at a reasonably good season - we have to win all of those matches.

With a squad stretched to well beyond breaking point, and the players already looking nackered it is going to be a big ask. We need Smalling and Carrick to be fit for the weekend, imo.

Contrary to all the optimism going around, I could just as easily see us winning maybe one leg of the Liverpool tie and none of the others.

Samoa Joe wrote: »
    How likely is it that Carrick is not being offered a new contract until a new manager has been announced (if it is going to happen)? Or would it be LVG's decision to make?

I imagine due to his age its just club policy, regardless of manager. I know Scholes and Giggs stayed on till their late 30's but Carrick is no Scholes or Giggs, and even if he was I think keeping those two around for so long was a mistake on reflection.

Liam O wrote: »
    United's results fall off a cliff when Smalling does play.

Maybe they do, but when you see Blind playing like he did last night I think I would rather have Smalling in there beside the young lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

United's results fall off a cliff when Smalling does play. Schneiderlin has been underwhelming and you can see he has no what he's doing or where he's supposed to be most of the time. Now this could be from management but he was better at Southampton when he had Wanyama covering for his gaps. I feel like him and Herrera may be quite similar but Herrera is the better player.

Saw this last night and found it surprising.

https://twitter.com/FootballFormLab/status/705110479417401344

• Advertisement

Contrary to all the optimism going around, I could just as easily see us winning maybe one leg of the Liverpool tie and none of the others.

Indeed - if we play anything like we did last night we will be crushed by Liverpool and City at least, and West Ham too. I'm not sure West Brom are capable of thumping anyone.

Watching the United game again on MUTV at the moment and how Watford didn't bag a bunch is beyond me - so many very good chances.

I do think it partly down to the injury situation - Varela, Fosu-Mensah are new and inexperienced, Rojo rusty (at least/best) and Blind had a fecking stinker last night - we may not defend as poorly in the coming games. It is times like this though that a bigger squad and the ability to rotate in players would really be a big help. But up front we just don't have the options - out of choices LVG has made. Only Rooney is missing as an attacker LVG wanted at the club.

I think Herrera, Rashford and Mata looked wrecked last night - but we don't have options to come in for them really.

Its a big couple of weeks coming and it could be a horrible couple of weeks - but I thought the same about the Arsenal game - so fcuk knows what is gonna happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Maybe they do, but when you see Blind playing like he did last night I think I would rather have Smalling in there beside the young lad.

Yeah because one bad game makes Blind an awful player. Nobody remembers that massive header he made at the end on Sunday that took the pressure off late on. Or how many times he wins the ball in unspectacular fashion when one on one with a runner. Or how he's not afraid to actually organise the players around him. Tbh he should be talked about as one of the players of the season and yet one bad game, which Smalling has had a fair amount of, is enough for everyone to turn against him.

Yeah because one bad game makes Blind an awful player. Nobody remembers that massive header he made at the end on Sunday that took the pressure off late on. Or how many times he wins the ball in unspectacular fashion when one on one with a runner. Or how he's not afraid to actually organise the players around him. Tbh he should be talked about as one of the players of the season and yet one bad game, which Smalling has had a fair amount of, is enough for everyone to turn against him.

It seems like you have had a way over the top reaction to one person's own OTT reaction to last night.

Yeah.. NO ONE remembers all the good performances from him this season. NO ONE.

No point lecturing me, I have never rated Blind as good enough for us at CB, last night has little to do with it.

My point wasn't about performance anyway, but more to do with mentoring. He left Fosu-Mensah on his own quite a few times last night, the very last thing a young lad on his full debut needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Let's not forget that CB is probably Blind's 3rd position. He was quite a decent player at the beginning of last season at DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Missed a third game on the bounce last night, wont be missing the West Brom game at the weekend.

Apologies in advance lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I'm worried about this hectic March fixture list. We only have one week with out a mid week fixture and were playing good teams. City, West ham, Pool twice and West Brom.

We need players to return from injury asap.

West Brom V Man Utd, Sun 6 Mar
    Liverpool V Man Utd, Thu 10 Mar
    Man Utd V West Ham, Sun 13 Mar
    Man Utd V Liverpool Thu 17 Mar
    Man City V Man Utd, Sun 20 Mar

• I'm worried about this hectic March fixture list. We only have one week with out a mid week fixture and were playing good teams. City, West ham, Pool twice and West Brom.

Scary looking at it like that.
    Sweet **** all time for recovery. Considering how bad our injury list is currently.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Scary looking at it like that.
    Sweet **** all time for recovery. Considering how bad our injury list is currently.

Be grand, haven't even dipped into the U16s yet.

• Advertisement

I'm worried about this hectic March fixture list. We only have one week with out a mid week fixture and were playing good teams. City, West ham, Pool twice and West Brom.

Carrick, Fellaini and Smalling are possibly back for the weekend - would be great to get them back into the squad - even Fellaini.

My worry is we have very few options in the attacking third - because of LVG - to bring back or rotate in. Januzaj is the only one I can think of to return (though nothing has been said on his injury - he could be out months for all I know). No return date for Young, who would be a great player to have in the first team squad at the moment and Rooney is certain to be missing this run of games.

The squad is a winger and striker short, as many said it would be.

On top of the injuries - the team performance needs to improve a lot to have a chance over the coming 17 days.

Once again I have to wonder whats happening with the likes of Januzaj, Periera and McNair. I called for Martial to be rested last night and I still think he should have been, he didn't look great in my eyes, so with that fixture list looming why not give Januzaj his chance? Is he injured?

And I don't rate McNair at all but still a little surprised to see him bypassed by so many younger players?

Its that old question, in the middle of this upcoming run of fixtures we could easily find ourselves with no choice but to turn to Januzaj or Periera, I'd feel better about that if they had played some minutes beforehand.

Once again I have to wonder whats happening with the likes of Januzaj, Periera and McNair. I called for Martial to be rested last night and I still think he should have been, he didn't look great in my eyes, so with that fixture list looming why not give Januzaj his chance? Is he injured?

And I don't rate McNair at all but still a little surprised to see him bypassed by so many younger players?

Its that old question, in the middle of this upcoming run of fixtures we could easily find ourselves with no choice but to turn to Januzaj or Periera, I'd feel better about that if they had played some minutes beforehand.

Neither Januzaj nor Pereira were in the match day squad last night and given the injury situation I have to think they were both injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

They'd play if they're good enough.

They'd play if they're good enough.

If we get another injury to an attacking player they might have to play whether they are good enough or not.

If we get another injury to an attacking player they might have to play whether they are good enough or not.

Even still there was little chance of game time to be had for them especially if they're showing nothing in training. Martial was always going come back in if fit, so we had Lingard in reserve. Lingard deserved to come on as he's playing well. The last sub was a defensive one to help the backline, and the first was because Rojo isn't 100% fit yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Feillaini back? No way. We have been playing good slick attacking football at times lately - all he does is slow it down. Totally retrograde step throwing him back into the midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

http://www.thejournal.ie/manchester-swearing-ban-2639093-Mar2016/

Just saw the on my twitter feed, bit random.

Salford City Council trying to ban public
    swearing and other things to combat antisocial behaviour on the Salford Quays. I wonder how they would actually enforce this especially on match days.
    I'm sure it would be difficult with many excitable fans, both home and away, en route to and from OT.

Obviously it's always a good idea to stop antisocial behaviour but the swearing ban seems a bit harder to enforce

kstand wrote: »
    Feillaini back? No way. We have been playing good slick attacking football at times lately - all he does is slow it down. Totally retrograde step throwing him back into the midfield.

So you'd prefer McNair to play midfield like he did last night, ahead of Fellaini?

I'm no fan of the guy but when our only options last night for CM were Schneiderlin, Herrera and McNair - the return to selection of any senior options should be welcomed.

Even still there was little chance of game time to be had for them especially if they're showing nothing in training. Martial was always going come back in if fit, so we had Lingard in reserve. Lingard deserved to come on as he's playing well. The last sub was a defensive one to help the backline, and the first was because Rojo isn't 100% fit yet.

I disagree, I think over our last 4/5 games against a lot of weaker opposition we could have put a few of them in somewhere and seen what they are about, we don't seem to have had any problem putting even less experienced players in ahead of them.

Once again for example, I think Martial should have been rested last night, and Lingard was probably only dropped to give him a rest as well.

I'm not proclaiming these lads as our saviours or anything, I'm just curious as to the inconsistencies. Why has McNair fallen so out of favour? How did Januzaj go from Europes hot property to behind Marcus Rashford in the pecking order? Why does Periera get to the fringes of the team but never onto the team, despite lots of other kids getting chances. It would be interesting to know the thinking behind it all.

I miss fellaini

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    I miss fellaini

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1m9nXbIi46TzJVQ1sv2G-R8MpeIUNlcghd0DQ_j1Vwae9-m7M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Couldn't disagree more if I tried. He's showed under Southampton a far inferior team that he has the ability to dictate and command games. One game in particular springs to mind when he dominated a midfield of YaYa and Fernandinho against City. I'll try and find the stats of it soon.

Last night I thought he was exceptional, he was always in the right place at the right time. He's covering a lot of ground and with Herrera being more of an attacking player its not your traditional 2 DM's that we're used to seeing so he has far more defending to do. It should be Herrera who takes on the mantle of dictating games. Very rarely was it Keane when he played with Scholes who dictated the flow of games.

Roy Keane dictated the flow, in possession, of nearly every game he played in. Scholes was even better in possession. It should be both CMs that take on the mantle of dictating games. The idea that a CM - at the level United expect to play - who is not good in possession can still be classed as good overall is wrong.

Schneiderlin was better at Southampton, but he was still not good in posssession. When under pressure when receiving the ball he was unable to cope properly.
    NLjl6m.jpg

Those types of stats are useless for judging central midfielders. Indeed there has yet to be found a good way of using stats that is anywhere close to reliably identifying good central midfielders.

I disagree, I think over our last 4/5 games against a lot of weaker opposition we could have put a few of them in somewhere and seen what they are about, we don't seem to have had any problem putting even less experienced players in ahead of them.

Once again for example, I think Martial should have been rested last night, and Lingard was probably only dropped to give him a rest as well.

I'm not proclaiming these lads as our saviours or anything, I'm just curious as to the inconsistencies. Why has McNair fallen so out of favour? How did Januzaj go from Europes hot property to behind Marcus Rashford in the pecking order? Why does Periera get to the fringes of the team but never onto the team, despite lots of other kids getting chances. It would be interesting to know the thinking behind it all.

Don't think they've fallen out of favour just that the lads that have been given their chance have taken it. Varela (and CBJ until his injury) is playing better than McNair did at FB. Fosu-Mensah is highly thought of young player who must be doing better (or more what LVG wants) than McNair in training. Januzaj didn't do anything whilst on loan either.

We've senior players coming back over the next week or two so cover won't be an issue. We need the performing players on the pitch right now to make up points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Will Keane had to go to America for surgery on his groin. It must have been pretty bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It might be quiet serious, hopefully not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Be grand, haven't even dipped into the U16s yet.

Is that you Adam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Just watched the game, it was very scrappy but I think this made the win sweeter. Mata's free kick was beautiful and pinpoint.
    Hopefully with some players coming back from injury will allow others to be rested.
    3 points were all that mattered and for once we took advantage of losses above us and gained some points.
    I'm also hoping the performance last night was more to do with lethargy due to so many games in such a short period

This warmed my heart. The bromance lives on.
    https://twitter.com/UnitedPeoplesTV/status/705163297868398592

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://www.thejournal.ie/manchester-swearing-ban-2639093-Mar2016/

Just saw the on my twitter feed, bit random.

Salford City Council trying to ban public
    swearing and other things to combat antisocial behaviour on the Salford Quays. I wonder how they would actually enforce this especially on match days.
    I'm sure it would be difficult with many excitable fans, both home and away, en route to and from OT.

Obviously it's always a good idea to stop antisocial behaviour but the swearing ban seems a bit harder to enforce

Fuck that,shower of cnuts!!

We swear when we want,we swear when we want,we're Man United,we swear when we want.

Anyway,I've never heard anything too bad.Maybe when Liverpool come to town or the Derby but that's it.

paulbok wrote: »
    Is that you Adam?

eww-o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We picked up 10 from 12 in the league games including Everton after City. Our problem *so far* hasn't been the big games although with the Europa and FA cup game in there fatigue will be a problem

We have a real chance at 4th now but I think the Europa is going to damage our chances, I wouldn't be too bothered if we go out as long as Liverpool don't go on to win it of course

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement