Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Won't be called up. England have plenty in attack. One position in which they are pretty stacked. Kane, Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Vardy. Paper nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

jayo26 wrote: »
    Welbeck is not good enough :)

I think he was more referring to strikers ahead of Rashford for the Euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think he was more referring to strikers ahead of Rashford for the Euros.

I know i was just stirring.. We haven't had a Welbeck debate in 3 days with all these wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Want a "wall of white" at the match.

200_s.gif

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

https://twitter.com/SimonPeach/status/705546364445446144

I think Ed Woodward was reading this thread that time we talked about the positivity train full of tractors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Mick isn't going to know what to do with himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Aaaaaah SIMIIIII

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Jesus England have a savage forward line now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,869 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Jesus England have a savage forward line now.

Never mind all that... We have a club tractor partner now...:eek::pac::D:p:eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I think Ed Woodward was reading this thread that time we talked about the positivity train full of tractors.

Wonder if they'll have them for sale in the club shop, any boggers going over to the games will be fapping like mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

United are giving a free white away kit to anyone with tickets to the Pool away game. Want a "wall of white" at the match.

Of all the games where the club don't need to "create" an atmosphere, it's this one.
    Roll up in your own jerseys, be they brand spanking new white ones or replica "Sharp" ones.
    Don't need to be told how support the team, especially versus Liverpool.
    We're not feckin City!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The problem is the current players haven't spent enough time on the tractor imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Of all the games where the club don't need to "create" an atmosphere, it's this one.
    Roll up in your own jerseys, be they brand spanking new white ones or replica "Sharp" ones.
    Don't need to be told how support the team, especially versus Liverpool.
    We're not feckin City!!

I didn't think we were being told how to support the team. It's obvious it will be s packed house. What I got from it was that the white jerseys would clearly stand out in contrast with red pool shirts. Many United fans may only have home shirts which would bleed into pool support but if we all have white then we stand out among the pool.

I think it's a great idea and would look really cool if they can successfully get everyone involved. I think it would be great so the players know exactly how many United fans are actually there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fecking hell - even I struggle to find a reason to whinge about the club giving out free jerseys. Feck sake people!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Everyone on board the positivity Messi!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Fecking hell - even I struggle to find a reason to whinge about the club giving out free jerseys. Feck sake people!

You tell em Mitch ;)

Preople moaning about jersies??
    is that what we've been reduced too...
    Cmon United
    #positivitytractor #tractorpartner

brinty wrote: »
    You tell em Mitch ;)

Preople moaning about jersies??
    is that what we've been reduced too...
    Cmon United
    #positivitytractor #tractorpartner

Well one person is moaning lol! What's to not like about a free shirt! It's not like the amnesty at the start of season where they take your old one!

I can't stop laughing at Dwight Yorke on the #positivitytractor. Is he our designated driver now? :D

Well one person is moaning lol! What's to not like about a free shirt! It's not like the amnesty at the start of season where they take your old one!

I can't stop laughing at Dwight Yorke on the #positivitytractor. Is he our designated driver now? :D
    Don't let Mick hear you say that
    he'll be like....
    wrestling-she-mad.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I feel so connected to United, I have my red tractor which has Ferguson on it and United now have their own red tractor.

Knew it was good when that green John Deere on fire was posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

4th March 1996

Newcastle 0-1 Man United

Only 20 years ago today..

What a night that was, had. Big impact in title race that season

4th March 1996

Newcastle 0-1 Man United

Jesus above schmeichel was from another planet that night
    remember a few star jump saves from him

4th March 1996

Newcastle 0-1 Man United

I remember that game so well Eric cantonas winner changed the mentality of both sides.

Also it was asprillas debut for Newcastle. Some people think that signing him was keegan biggest mistake that season he interrupted a squad that was firing on all cylinders. He was a class player tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I didn't think we were being told how to support the team. It's obvious it will be s packed house. What I got from it was that the white jerseys would clearly stand out in contrast with red pool shirts. Many United fans may only have home shirts which would bleed into pool support but if we all have white then we stand out among the pool.

I think it's a great idea and would look really cool if they can successfully get everyone involved. I think it would be great so the players know exactly how many United fans are actually there.

But we don't need it. United fans don't need to have an image created for them. A wall of white..for what? To make a pretty scene on the telly. To impress the fans in the Far East??! Everyone knows it's not the fans organising this and it comes across as fake. It's the sort of stunt City pull to make the club seem bigger and better supported than it is.
    If the club want to splash the cash, why not pay for all the United supporters tickets at Anfield.

That Newcastle game 20 years ago will always be a classic.
    A must win game.
    United the hunters, Newcastle the prey.
    Schmeichel being a tower in goal, Cantona winning and the Keegan meltdown.
    Thank God for Sky sports then to watch it all.

That is one reason why I never give up hope when United are chasing, what were we...15 to 16 points down at Newcastle and we reeled them in.
    I know it is very unlikely we will do it this season, but I always try to believe we can do it, and I think a team only has no chance of doing it when they stop believing they can do it.
    I think the team still holds some belief however small that they can still do it this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

But we don't need it. United fans don't need to have an image created for them. A wall of white..for what? To make a pretty scene on the telly. To impress the fans in the Far East??! Everyone knows it's not the fans organising this and it comes across as fake. It's the sort of stunt City pull to make the club seem bigger and better supported than it is.
    If the club want to splash the cash, why not pay for all the United supporters tickets at Anfield.

I don't like the current owners or the lies and bullsh1t constantly coming from the PR department but they're not the enemy and I can give them a break when they make an effort to do something positive. Giving away free stuff is never to be sniffed. :)

• Advertisement

And the ireland fans weren't going to need help creating an atmosphere vs the dutch - but the plain green t-shirts handed out prior to the game meaning the entire stadium was green (and a small pocket of Orange) was pretty cool to see and added to the atmosphere.

In fact, this is one game United wouldn't need to incentivise - they could sell the tickets a hundred times over.

Maybe it is misguided - but the fact is the club is giving a free jersey to any United fan at the game. An actual jersey, not just some plain white t-shirt. It is a commendable gesture from the club imo. At Anfield, in particular, the United fans have been treated poorly. I see this as the club showing appreciation for the away supporters, whom many feel are the best set of away fans in the country.

I just don't see a good reason to criticise the club over it.

RobertKK wrote: »
    That Newcastle game 20 years ago will always be a classic.
    A must win game.
    United the hunters, Newcastle the prey.
    Schmeichel being a tower in goal, Cantona winning and the Keegan meltdown.
    Thank God for Sky sports then to watch it all.

That is one reason why I never give up hope when United are chasing, what were we...15 to 16 points down at Newcastle and we reeled them in.
    I know it is very unlikely we will do it this season, but I always try to believe we can do it, and I think a team only has no chance of doing it when they stop believing they can do it.
    I think the team still holds some belief however small that they can still do it this season.
    Did Keegan melt down that night? Was it not the Leeds after the Leeds game he ranted?

Did Keegan melt down that night? Was it not the Leeds after the Leeds game he ranted?

You are correct it was Leeds, for some strange weird reason I think of it being the same night, but you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

RobertKK wrote: »
    You are correct it was Leeds, for some strange weird reason I think of it being the same night, but you are right.

Unfortunately this was a bit before my time. What exactly did Ferguson say about the Leeds match that made him so angry?

Unfortunately this was a bit before my time. What exactly did Ferguson say about the Leeds match that made him so angry?

Leeds put in a mother fuker performance against us and fergie questioned why they didn't do it for every game and said they were cheating manager so Leeds turned around and put in another mofher fuker performance and beat Newcastle.

I think that thats what happened anyway if my memory is Holding up

• Advertisement

I don't believe the club are actually trying to create any image and I'm sure they're well aware that they have a loyal broad fanbase.
    It's a nice gesture as others have said and I would gladly take a free shirt. It's always a big fixture so maybe the club pr people wanted to do something more to hype it up as it's a European game and much bigger than league or domestic cups. Either way it's not something to be getting so furious about.

Have we ever played Liverpool in Europe? I don't think so..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

After Leeds played well against United Fergie questioned Leeds bottle and how they cheat the manager by putting in performances like that every week (knowing full well Leeds next game was V Newcastle) and the next match Leeds (fired up by Fergies comments) went and beat Newcastle.

I remember watching Keegan's meltdown laughing and my dad in hysterics thinking it was the funniest thing ever! Good times!

jayo26 wrote: »
    Leeds put in a mother fuker performance against us and fergie questioned why they didn't do it for every game and said they were cheating manager so Leeds turned around and put in another mofher fuker performance and beat Newcastle.

I think that thats what happened anyway if my memory is Holding up
    Late Roy Keane winner in our game against them - with Lucas Radebe in goals pulling off some annoying saves.

Can't remember if they beat leeds or lost to them. I remember JFH scoring a goal for leeds that dented a title rival - but it may have been Arsenal he did that to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I think Luke Shaw getting a call up for the Euros is more worrying than Rashford. Leighton Baines is struggling so who else can they have at left back? Ryan Bertrand and Kieran Gibbs? That's hardly inspiring.

From The Guardian
    “In terms of the March fixtures we are going to be missing one of two players,” said the England manager, who made a point of name-checking the United player when confronting the list of his likely absentees. “We are still monitoring Luke Shaw, who is making good progress, and we are monitoring Jack Wilshere, who is also making very good progress. But we have to accept in March we won’t have those players. But hopefully in May, when I have to make a decision, they will be available for selection.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

20 years ago, crikey. Football was great back then, or am I being memory selective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I think Luke Shaw getting a call up for the Euros is more worrying than Rashford. Leighton Baines is struggling so who else can they have at left back? Ryan Bertrand and Kieran Gibbs? That's hardly inspiring.

From The Guardian

He can f** right off!!

EDIT: Roy Hodgson that is.

I actually think it would be a great idea for Shaw to go to the Euros, get some hands on rehab and match fitness so he's not coming in cold for United next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Late Roy Keane winner in our game against them - with Lucas Radebe in goals pulling off some annoying saves.

Can't remember if they beat leeds or lost to them. I remember JFH scoring a goal for leeds that dented a title rival - but it may have been Arsenal he did that to.

Newcastle won the game with a goal from Beardsley I believe. It was the next game against Forest that they came unstuck and essentially handed the title to United.

JFH was in 99 against Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Liam O wrote: »
    I actually think it would be a great idea for Shaw to go to the Euros, get some hands on rehab and match fitness so he's not coming in cold for United next season.

I was thinking this also. It would be no harm for him to get back playing at a competitive level before next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Totally disagree, once completely over the injury he needs to repeat what he did last summer, go off and work on fitness and nothing else for a few months, then he can come back to pre-season and start on his match fitness there.

If he goes to the euros he will get injured again, mark my words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

4th March 1996

Newcastle 0-1 Man United

"And the ball falls to CANTONAAAAAAA!!!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

zerks wrote: »
    "And the ball falls to CANTONAAAAAAA!!!!!"

what a season.

Barnes, Rush, Barnes, Rush... Collymore closing IIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNN - title win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

zerks wrote: »

God Dam it!! Don't let them Train in that!! The injuries ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

MrMac84 wrote: »
    After Leeds played well against United Fergie questioned Leeds bottle and how they cheat the manager by putting in performances like that every week (knowing full well Leeds next game was V Newcastle) and the next match Leeds (fired up by Fergies comments) went and beat Newcastle.

I remember watching Keegan's meltdown laughing and my dad in hysterics thinking it was the funniest thing ever! Good times!

Thats one of my earliest football memories. Me and my mother sitting and watching the interview, laughing and thinking "Fergie's really got into his head". Such a brilliant moment of history.

God Dam it!! Don't let them Train in that!! The injuries ;)

Hopefully no ads are being filmed on the indoor pitch...

Thats one of my earliest football memories. Me and my mother sitting and watching the interview, laughing and thinking "Fergie's really got into his head". Such a brilliant moment of history.

Earliest one I can remember is Ireland vs Romania peno shoot out. Wasn't a big football fan as a kid. Think WC94 was the first time properly being into, and remembering, football. Only supported United cause most of my friends did.

My earliest football memories were as a 6 year and NI in the WC in 1982, wasn't paying much attention to it then, but I do remember watching Argentina v England the hand of God goal by Maradona.
    Started into club football around 1990/91 and watched United win the cup winners cup and it was my sister who made me the United fan as she supported them before I did.
    Now she doesn't support any team, she got corrupted when she got married :pac:

Totally disagree, once completely over the injury he needs to repeat what he did last summer, go off and work on fitness and nothing else for a few months, then he can come back to pre-season and start on his match fitness there.

If he goes to the euros he will get injured again, mark my words.

So if he's fully rehabbed, ready to play, presumably with a couple of games under his belt for United and willing to play how does it make him more likely to pick up another injury than in pre season or whatever?

He's not going to go with no games played before it. He's not done anything other than work on his fitness for months now. Getting some proper competitive action is a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So if he's fully rehabbed, ready to play,

I don't think he will be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement