Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Late Roy Keane winner in our game against them - with Lucas Radebe in goals pulling off some annoying saves.

Can't remember if they beat leeds or lost to them. I remember JFH scoring a goal for leeds that dented a title rival - but it may have been Arsenal he did that to.

What a legend

2vnhxmt.jpg

Remember listening to that game on 5 live, using a coat hanger for booster on ariel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

The United Twitter account posted this. Looks like Darmien has played for us awhile back........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

First football memories are from the 86 world cup, my dad collected the tokens from Maxol and we got a commerative plastic football.

First vivid United memory is the league cup semi final replay in 92.

Iirc it was played on a school night as I recall one of my classmate's (fellow United supporter) cheering about it the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

First real Utd memory is seeing Schmeichel scoring Rotor Volgograd in 95. Not sure was it live on TV or did I see it on the news or something but its the reason I started supporting them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

First memory of cheering on Utd in a televised match was the 1976 cup final against Southampton.

I was 10 at the time. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

jayo26 wrote: »
    What a legend

2vnhxmt.jpg

Remember listening to that game on 5 live, using a coat hanger for booster on ariel.

Apparently the band The Kaiser Chiefs, who are Leeds Utd fans, named the band after the club he played for in South Africa.

adox wrote: »
    Apparently the band The Kaiser Chiefs, who are Leeds Utd fans, named the band after the club he played for in South Africa.

Not sure about that but I remember the story he started out as a goal keeper for the kaiser chiefs and ended up as a center back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

First real Utd memory is seeing Schmeichel scoring Rotor Volgograd in 95. Not sure was it live on TV or did I see it on the news or something but its the reason I started supporting them!

Was there that night behind the goal he scored in. We went out but it felt like a victory because the European home record was preserved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

My first memory of following Utd was when I had heard of them from school classmates. I decided from then on I would be a football fan and follow Manchester Utd. I had never heard of Sky or 5 Live. Then one day a classmate came into school proclaiming Utd had won the league (another team losing made it mathematically impossible to lose the title). I knew they hadn't played and couldn't understand that I hadn't heard that they were 'in the final'. It took me a while to understand the concept of a league.

This was about 25 years ago. Could anyone old enough tell me what year that may have been based on them winning the league without playing? I'm pretty sure it was the green/yellow split jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

My first memory of following Utd was when I had heard of them from school classmates. I decided from then on I would be a football fan and follow Manchester Utd. I had never heard of Sky or 5 Live. Then one day a classmate came into school proclaiming Utd had won the league (another team losing made it mathematically impossible to lose the title). I knew they hadn't played and couldn't understand that I hadn't heard that they were 'in the final'. It took me a while to understand the concept of a league.

This was about 25 years ago. Could anyone old enough tell me what year that may have been based on them winning the league without playing? I'm pretty sure it was the green/yellow split jersey.

Sounds like '93 when Oldham beat Villa and put United out of Villa's reach.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Sounds like '93 when Oldham beat Villa and put United out of Villa's reach.

That's my thoughts too.

It was 92_93 season when vila lost to Oldham we won it, the story of the players all around at brucies house and celebrating the victory is told by them alot.

Edit: sorry guys didn't see your msg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

It was 92_93 season when vila lost to Oldham we won it, the story of the players all around at brucies house and celebrating the victory is told by them alot.

Edit: sorry guys didn't see your msg.

Anyone remember Jeremy Beadle had a you've been framed special about the celebrations in brucies house?
    I kid you not!

Anyone remember Jeremy Beadle had a you've been framed special about the celebrations in brucies house?
    I kid you not!

Aint the a few of them videos going around with kasper and Alex in them as little chaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

First time to support utd was FA cup final day 1979 against Arsenal. 2-0 down with 5 mins to go and they score 2 goals in as many mins. McQueen and McIlroy iirc. Sunderland at the death from a Liam Brady cross (I think) sealed the win for Arsenal. Gutted that they were pipped at the post and an obsession was born that minute

80s were a strange time to support utd. No tv coverage at all (no channels) meant the only time I could see see them was the occasional FA cup game on Sports Stadium on Saturdays on RTE 2. Soaked up any information I could through newspapers and of course Radio 5 live. Some incredible memories. Probably my favourite game even still was our win over a Maradona led Barcelona in 84 I think. 2-0 down after the first leg. Robbo 2 and Frank Stapleton got us through.

Great times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

My memory of following united was when Cantona scored the only goal in the fa cup final against liverpool!

My first football memory was all the gladiator world cup inflatables from usa world cup!

Imagine in 10 years time people be saying my first memory of united was that mad manager falling over on touchline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

lvg saying a cup win is more important that 4th place or better.....i couldnt disagree more with that,champions league is way more important(i no IF we win the europa we get in)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

First time to support utd was FA cup final day 1979 against Arsenal. 2-0 down with 5 mins to go and they score 2 goals in as many mins. McQueen and McIlroy iirc. Sunderland at the death from a Liam Brady cross (I think) sealed the win for Arsenal. Gutted that they were pipped at the post and an obsession was born that minute

80s were a strange time to support utd. No tv coverage at all (no channels) meant the only time I could see see them was the occasional FA cup game on Sports Stadium on Saturdays on RTE 2. Soaked up any information I could through newspapers and of course Radio 5 live. Some incredible memories. Probably my favourite game even still was our win over a Maradona led Barcelona in 84 I think. 2-0 down after the first leg. Robbo 2 and Frank Stapleton got us through.

Great times

That mirrors my experience almost exactly
    Friends couldn't understand why I started supporting them after they lost, but it was the comeback from 2 down, the never say die attitude, the excitement of their play drew me in. The 83 and 85 cup finals had me locked in for life.

jambofc wrote: »
    lvg saying a cup win is more important that 4th place or better.....i couldnt disagree more with that,champions league is way more important(i no IF we win the europa we get in)

I dont think he really said that tho he was saying that he wants to win a title this year and qualify for champions league but said obviously if we won the Europa League it would satisfy both these objectives.

In fairness to lvg he looks at football different then the money men do and alot of fans. To us the champions league is the most important thing but he even said today that sport is about winning things and not about finishing third or fourth or second and I agree with him thats the way it should be but with champions league structured as it is it dont work like that.

If champions league was done fair every countries cup winning team and league winning team would be init bit then we wouldnt Have enough top teams qualify but it would bring back the importance of cup wins.

I recognise the value of champions league qualification but speaking as a fan I'll take silverware over 4th place every time. 1st or 2nd is a good effort but I could never ever see myself getting worked up for places lower. It's a sad indictment of LVG's tenure that coming in to 4th place is seen as a success of some sort. Cannot wait for season to be over and he's moved on. Should have been gone months ago..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Yep, I'd take the FA cup over 4th place f I was offered the choice right now. The Champions League is massive and it's where you want to be but silverware is first and foremost.

I recognise the value of champions league qualification but speaking as a fan I'll take silverware over 4th place every time. 1st or 2nd is a good effort but I could never ever see myself getting worked up for places lower. It's a sad indictment of LVG's tenure that coming in to 4th place is seen as a success of some sort. Cannot wait for season to be over and he's moved on. Should have been gone months ago..

I dont think most People see 4th as a success its seen as a sort of damage limitation if you asked me now would i take 4th place id say yhh of course I would but it dont mean the season is an success.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Jayop wrote: »
    Yep, I'd take the FA cup over 4th place f I was offered the choice right now. The Champions League is massive and it's where you want to be but silverware is first and foremost.

Hate to say it but I totally disagree. I think the club needs to think long term.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hate to say it but I totally disagree. I think the club needs to think long term.

Ah yeah I understand your view point and you are probably right in the long term, but I take zero pleasure from finishing 4th (bleugh) but I'd party all night if we won the cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

No Jonny Evans for the Brom on Sunday.

Also, Pulis does his press conferences standing up. What a burk.

Brunt and Evans out so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I dont think most People see 4th as a success its seen as a sort of damage limitation if you asked me now would i take 4th place id say yhh of course I would but it dont mean the season is an success.

Arsene Wenger & Arsenal say hello.

Seriously though I would rather United finish 4th in each of Van Gaal's seasons in charge and maybe nick a trophy along the way while the club is in transition/being rebuilt than do an Arsenal and come seasons end in May and be happy with a 4th place finish and having to go through hoops to reach the Champions League group stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Whiteside Cup Final goal my first United memory. Got busy then reading up on the Busby Babes and about The Trinity in the 60s.

Remember owning VHS videos such as 'United's Greatest Victories over Liverpool' when the scousers were winning all round them.

Also owned the season video 'So near, yet so far' when we chucked the league to Leeds. The following season was epic though, thank you Cantona.

When Oldham beat Villa through a Ritchie goal (I think).

Sky had the next home game versus Blackburn when we fell behind to an early Gallacher goal, hangovers wore off then and United won out 3-1, including a Pallister free kick :)

Great times.

Not 100% but I think the half and half Newton Heath shirt was the following season, 93/94

Edit: Boll1x it was Nick Henry for Oldham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Were any of ye close to supporting another club or admit it when ye were younger?

I was close to supporting Nottingham Forest. United were team I supported since 1990 but when my Dad worked in Nottingham around same time and got me Des Walker and some young lad called Roy Keane autograph I nearly switched.

Thank God my family would have none of it. If I wasn't United fan I admit I probably be Forest or even Juventus fan (always liked them)now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Were any of ye close to supporting another club or admit it when ye were younger?

I was close to supporting Nottingham Forest. United were team I supported since 1990 but when my Dad worked in Nottingham around same time and got me Des Walker and some young lad called Roy Keane autograph I nearly switched.

Thank God my family would have none of it. If I wasn't United fan I admit I probably be Forest or even Juventus fan (always liked them)now

West Ham cos of McAvennie, thought he was class, a close escape :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Had a relative buy me a Liverpool jersey when I was 6 years old, safe to say it didn't sit well and said relative quickly corrected their error, much to their annoyance..

Was the Treble winning season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

Is there any remote chance now of LVG saving his job beyond this season? If we were to continue winning games say a trophy and possibly gaining 4th spot

• Advertisement

My 3 older brothers are Liverpool fans and reason I picked united was my best mates family were all united and I seen how much my brothers hated them it was a no brainer for me who to support and that feeling they have still makes me smile today ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

Jeez I'm feeling old.... early memories of 68 European cuo final. Actually remember 67 European cup final ..Celtic. . Nearly the whole team were born within a 5 mile radius of Parkend.
    I remember the United v spurs match, a little lob over a crowded 6 yard box by The late great George Best... they one you see on the build up of MOTD... pure genius. Remember getting relegated... back heel by Denis Law playing for City... and fair due to him didn't celebrate the goal.

I rocked up to primary school, just turned four and was told to pick a team, it either had to be United or Liverpool and you wouldn't get picked in a team for PE or at break time unless you supported one of those. Thanks God I picked United.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Family were all United fans. 90% of my class were United fans. So it wasn't even a choice. Just was one from the moment I could understand football :P
    billyhead wrote: »
    Is there any remote chance now of LVG saving his job beyond this season? If we were to continue winning games say a trophy and possibly gaining 4th spot

Anything less than a big title challenge is a failure in terms of the league; that was the goal at the start of the season that everyone was pushing, so just getting 4th would be a failure. A cup wouldn't change that.

There's a pattern forming between this year and last; LVG is, once again, challenging for forth and relying heavily on those above us to drop stupid points. If he stays, there's nothing to suggest we won't be in the exact same position next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Been a United fan since I was about 4.A neighbour gave me a United football and that was it.
    Many that I knew supported Liverpool back then when they won everything,I guess that explains my hatred for them-having to listen to their fans gloating all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

We got cable into the house in December '88, just before Christmas. Remember it clear as day - 40 Coats doing his thing on RTE when the chap arrived.

Next thing I know, I'm introduced to Saint & Greavesie. First live game I see is United - Liverpool on New Years Day '89.

United go behind but the new best player ever, Russel Beardsmore, has an absolute blinder and it finishes 3-1.

I used to wonder if I'd followed Liverpool if they'd won but I don't think so. My older brother liked them and we fought like f*ckers all the time. I'd never have liked a team he did.

Great times those days.

Like when I made bits of myself trying to do a somersault (well, a slight step up from s cartwheel) after Hughesie scored the second against Barca in Rotterdam.

Edit: now I think of it, I'd never have supported Liverpool. Cheered like mad when Michael Thomas snatched the title from Liverpool in 91.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

First Utd memory is watching a MOTD with my older brother who is a Liverpool fan and him getting annoyed about Utd so obviously they were the team for me :pac: this would have been around 91/92.

As a 9 year old I wanted a Sheffield Wednesday jersey. I recorded and rewatched the FA Cup Final replay from '93 vs Arsenal at least 50 times (no exaggeration). So even if I wasnt a Utd fan I would still hate those Gunner b*stards.

Because of the nature of my first game with utd coming back from 2-0 and still losing there is a possibility I'd have followed arsenal if it had been the other way around but shur we'll never know.

Talk about full circle but I've a brother who's been a spurs fan since the 80s and another who's a city fan also since the 80s. That's a hell of a long time waiting for success. Be great for him if they could put one over on arsenal this year. Wenger imo is a complete spoofer at this stage. Be delighted if spurs could win it over them. Another 2 brothers utd and another liverpool one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

First football memory- Ardiles, Ricky Villa, Joe Corrigan, Paul Power Spurs v City 1981 cup final
    World cup 82. NI v Spain. Whiteside 16yo. Robson 1st minute goal v France. Those two players got me hooked on United
    First United memory Whiteside goal v the scousers in 83 milk cup final
    MOTD Saturday night on poor quality BBC signal !!
    How Times have changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/man-united-have-outline-agreement-to-sign-midfielder-delegation-g

Sport Witness saying Renato Sanches will join United.€40 million plus €20 million in add-ons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Moved house when I was 7 and all the older lads asked me who I followed. I knew my dad loved man united so tryed too be cool about it by saying "my dad watches man united" too gauge the reaction. Instantly (like kids do) they all went mad shouting and cheering and asking me do I follow them too. I said "of course" after seen the joy and that was that! I was hooked! I hounded my parents for ages for a United jersey and the mother got me one with cantona 7 on it. I used wear it every day and hung it on a coat hanger next too my bed while I slept. My mam used too wash it while I was in school and if it had been raining that day I used go mad that it wasn't dry and I couldn't wear it (we had no rads at the time) happy memories.
    A Manchester United "mega" store opened on Patrick's street then in Cork and I thought it was the best shop ever spending all my allowance in there on stupid things like rubbers and posters!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

1979 cup final v arsenal made me a Utd fan for life. Life was a bitch in the 80's for me. Every Knut and his bigger brother supported the bin dippers. Had to defend me Utd school bag to the death ( slight exaggeration). But I've grown up since "20 times man utd 20 times I say".

My first memory of United is from the 1977 cup final, not the game itself but John Motsons interview with the Greenhoff brothers inside Wembley after the game. I fell in love with those Admiral shirts and I now have one from the megastore with the Silver Jubilee marking over the crest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

I had watched football and I said that United were my favourite team to keep the lads happy but in reality I didn't start appreciating football until I was 8 years old, I came back from a hurling tournament with my friends and United were playing Arsenal in the 99 cup replay, it went to extra time and we were all hoping for penalties but then Giggsy scored an unbelievable goal and after that I was hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    I had watched football and I said that United were my favourite team to keep the lads happy but in reality I didn't start appreciating football until I was 8 years old, I came back from a hurling tournament with my friends and United were playing Arsenal in the 99 cup replay, it went to extra time and we were all hoping for penalties but then Giggsy scored an unbelievable goal and after that I was hooked.

Id be the same as yourself I would have watched a lot of soccer,but my first real memory of watching Utd was the 1989 FA Cup game against Notts Forest at OT,Gary Parker scored the winning goal for Forest,I think it was on Sports Stadium as well

Moving a on a year I remember when the father landed home with a video player/recorder,the shop left a tape in it and on it was the recording of the 3 all game against Crystal Palace in the 1990 FA Final,that tape got burnt out from playing it,that and the Euro 88 and Road to Italy tapes :D

Then the following year I remember Utd playing the Cup winners cup and going to the local pub to watch the games as they had the multi channel,father used drop us off and off in with us, 2 litre bottle of coke and taytos,happy days and very simple times

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement