Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I know some of ye are joking, but are their people who genuinely think we won't win tonight?

We will win by at least 2 clear goals, I'm going for a 3-1 minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I know some of ye are joking, but are their people who genuinely think we won't win tonight?

I honestly have lost all faith lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I think most of us have stopped counting our chickens before they hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

I think we will win but I don't think it will be easy or comfortable. 1-0 or 2-1 at best

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd have said the same about the EL game, Homer. Or the Sunderland game. Or a string of other "We'll surely win" games this season. The thing is, whenever we face anyone with a bit of passion or confidence, we struggle. If Shrewsbury come out tonight with any desire, they'll probably overturn us :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I don't think we'll win tonight , I'm not trying to be pessimistic , just honest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    If we don't win today then Van Gaal should just resign.

Shrewsbury are 21st in League 1 scoring just 37 goals and conceding 51 goals in 31 games.

In the last 6 Home games they lost 4 and won 1 drawing the other game.

If we consider only league games then in the last 6 home games they lost 5 and drew 2 game.

If we can't even beat that is in such a worst form then Van Gaal should be left behind the team bus.

he should be he wont, why would he? he would be missing out on around £10m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Crikey when Homer is the most positive guy amongst us you know there's serious problems at the club.
    If we can't win tonight LVG should be walking.
    Thursday night could get absolutely toxic if there's an adverse result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'll have a charity bet with you, €10. You can name the charity.

United's best result tonight will be a 1 goal win margin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

brinty wrote: »
    If we can't win tonight LVG should be walking.

If we don't have a title challenge he should be walking
    If we don't get out of CL group stage he should be walking
    If he can't get into top four he should be walking
    If he can't get the team to improve he should be walking
    If he can't beat Norwich or Sunderland he should be walking
    If he can't beat FC Midtjylland he should be walking

If he can't beat Shrewsbury he should be walking
    If he can't get top half of the table he should be walking

Basically I think he should be walking.

If we don't have a title challenge he should be walking
    If we don't get out of CL group stage he should be walking
    If he can't get into top four he should be walking
    If he can't get the team to improve he should be walking
    If he can't beat Norwich or Sunderland he should be walking
    If he can't beat FC Midtjylland he should be walking

If he can't beat Shrewsbury he should be walking
    If he can't get top half of the table he should be walking

Basically I think he should be walking.

I dont think he will be walking anytime soon unfortunately

CAtpoSpXIAA4NMY.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

honestly, i think United will struggle against any organised and committed side. The side is playing with no confidence or intensity - and little competence; I don't consider us favourites to get a win in any game at all anymore.

The game in Denmark was just so painful to be honest - there was a disgusting lack of intensity, passion, conviction and effort. If it is the same tonight Shrewsbury could literally run United off the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

honestly, i think United will struggle against any organised and committed side. The side is playing with no confidence or intensity - and little competence; I don't consider us favourites to get a win in any game at all anymore.

The game in Denmark was just so painful to be honest - there was a disgusting lack of intensity, passion, conviction and effort. If it is the same tonight Shrewsbury could literally run United off the park.

It's easy to play against us,put everyone behind the ball,watch us piss around with it,wait until somebody makes a mistake then break and create a clear chance or get a set piece that we seem incapable of defending against...Rinse and repeat.
    I miss the times when we'd see the FA Cup draw and laugh,wondering how many we'd score,now we are nervous about fucking Shrewsbury never mind West Ham,even Carrick is at it.Reminds me of the time Stan was in charge of Ireland and getting excuses in before games.

The most likely scenario tonight is that we win 3-0, Carrick sprays a few long passes around, Lingard scores a goal, one or two of the young players does a solid job and gets lauded as the next Borthwick-Jackson and afterwards in the search for positives everybody tries to ignore the fact that we are playing a crap league one side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Think tonight will be frustration for 60 - 70 mins then shrewsbury will get tired and a 2 nil win after that

• Advertisement

• Any words on De Gea and the knee scan?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Any words on De Gea and the knee scan?

I read somewhere, probably The Daily Mail, that he hopes to be back for the Arsenal game on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Any words on De Gea and the knee scan?

I thought I heard it was a displaced meniscus which isn't as bad as first thought.. the predicted him to be back for the Arsenal game

Found this on a quick Google search

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3454846/David-Gea-suffers-no-significant-damage-knee-scans-reveal-Manchester-United-star-picked-injury-warm-up.html

• Great news if true, from looking at him limping in the airport last week it looked long-term

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    I think most of us have stopped counting our chickens before they hatch.

theres premier league teams and the danish champions (lets be a little bit fair on that part as angry as we all are).

this however is Shrewsbury..i mean, come on ffs!!!

• Advertisement

any word on the availability of Fellaini, Jones, Adnan, CBJ for tonight?

theres premier league teams and the danish champions (lets be a little bit fair on that part as angry as we all are).

this however is Shrewsbury..i mean, come on ffs!!!

Middlesbrough ( And dont say " But they are in the awesome Championship")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

any word on the availability of Fellaini, Jones, Adnan, CBJ for tonight?

According to physioroom Fellaini has no return date, Jones and Adnan have 28th and CBJ isn't on it so he might be recovered from the illness he had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Middlesbrough ( And dont say " But they are in the awesome Championship")

Sheff Utd at home etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

As I've been saying for most of the season, I expect we'll see two fairly evenly matched teams but Utd should have that extra bit of quality to secure the victory. Without Rooney and De Gea though, we could be in for another historic night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Considering Cambridge United took us to a replay last year, I wouldn't hold out any hope on beating League 2 opposition this season.

I remember playing a game a few years ago, we were serious underdogs playing a top side in a cup game, ref even said to us before the game "ye are wasting yer time playing these lads" I looked at him and said but you haven't seen us play. We were 1-0 up within a minute, running back the ref said to me maybe you are right. half time 1-1. 2nd half they steam rolled us, we went a man down and they beat us 6-1.

I would fully expect a tough first half tonight, but 2nd half, United's class and fitness should stick out a mile and anything less than a 2 goal winning margin would be a very poor result

This will be United's best chance tonight

20445_original.gif

• Advertisement

Donald Love is cup tied for the game tonight, cause he played for Wigan in the FA Cup back in November, so god knows who's going in at RB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Love is cup tied tonight, so we're essentially without 6 players who could play right back

(Love, Young, Valencia, Darmian, Varela, Jones)

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Donald Love is cup tied for the game tonight, cause he played for Wigan in the FA Cup back in November, so god knows who's going in at RB.

Dare to McNair?

• That gif kinda reminds me of Dzeko last night :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

As much as my belief, confidence, interest and endless positivity has been battered, shattered and crushed, I expect nothing short of a comfortable win.

Hairy moments here and there sure, maybe. But we wont be fielding a side of third string kids, this will most likely be a very strong side. Anything less then convincing and surely some serious questions need to be asked of the players commitment as opposed to constantly the manager being under fire.

I've played under some managers I despised, hated, treated me poorly or had totally different ideas about football. But I never under performed because of it, or I never intentionally or subconsciously played worse because of it. And I wasn't being paid six figures a week either.

As usual I think the players are getting away with bloody murder. Sure the manager is an issue and the tactics are an issue. But I don't believe that excuses players completely failing in some basics.

Have to say the last three seasons has totally changed my opinion and outlook on the topic of the effects of managers when it comes to matchday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

https://twitter.com/manutdvines/status/701744002870198272

His direct words were "Iv sold him to MUFC for €60mill"

Crazy money if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Crazy money if true

Who makes a video of a player where he doesn't even hit the target with his shot :pac::pac::pac:

markc91 wrote: »
    Who makes a video of a player where he doesn't even hit the target with his shot :pac::pac::pac:

I dont know but his price seems to have gone up since january for getting injured and playing ****é

• Advertisement

Crazy money if true

ridiculous money to pay for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Felipe Anderson is the best friend of Neymar....

bangkok wrote: »
    ridiculous money to pay for him.

Should be only 30 max and that is pushing it.

Crazy money if true

crazy money, youd probably get Mahrez for that and still have £15m left over.

hope this isnt true, it would be an other huge risky signing and we dont need more of them. this summer needs to be about proven talent to come in and make an impact straight away.

after that, we hope the potential of Shaw, Herrera, Morgan and Memphis kicks in next season to compliment Martial, Darmian, Smalling, DDG and Rooney together with 3-5 good signings.

I dont know but his price seems to have gone up since january for getting injured and playing ****é

Pity that didn't work for some of our lot...

hope this isnt true, it would be an other huge risky signing and we dont need more of them.

Likewise, id rather spend it on Mahrez

• Advertisement

Should be only 30 max and that is pushing it.

for another unproven Brazilian in the premier league it is a massive risk paying 60m. 20-25m would have even been a risk, hope it all works out and he is the next Ronaldinho :)

bangkok wrote: »
    hope it all works out and he is the next Ronaldinho :)

What, so nearly signs for us then f**ks off to Barcelona at the last minute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

hope this isnt true, it would be an other huge risky signing and we dont need more of them. this summer needs to be about proven talent to come in and make an impact straight away.
    Agreed - his stats this season are rubbish too and I remember reading in january when we were linked with him that Lazio fans would be shedding no tears if he was to leave.

Think anyone who thinks you'd get Mahrez for £30m is nuts.

He's 25, has 3 years left on his contract, looks to be a massive reason why Leicester are challenging for the title, possibly one of the best players in the league this year, at a club who'll want to build their team for CL, and there's going to be massive competition for him if he moves (Barca are apparently in for him at the moment).

Wouldn't be shocked to see him move for £40m-ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I say we could be in for few surprises this summer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement