Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

zerks wrote: »
    25 points dropped against teams from the bottom half of the table,just let that sink in.
    22 points dropped against teams from the bottom half of the table had already sank in before the West Brom game for most everyone except for the board.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Canadel wrote: »
    How do you figure that?

They just lost the LC final, are out of the FA Cup, and are behind Utd in the league. I'd hardly call that having everything going for them. They have a better manager but that's about it.

While I'd agree with the notion they don't have everything going for them, it's worth noting that they are only 3 behind us in the league with a game in hand, and we've not got a massive goal difference lead on them. I wouldn't be shocked if they jumped us by the end of the season.

Fixture wise, they're going to get a massive, massive boost by having a week off between the two matches, while we've got to go and play a very good West Ham side in a knockout match.

Form wise, the only match they've lost in the last month is against City, and it was on penalties. They will be well up for it, and will be hungry to score goals.

I'd worry about that game on the 17th at OT. We're going to be exhausted against a fresher Liverpool, and you can bet that whoever is showing it will be focusing heavily on the juxtaposition of LVG sitting on the bench while Klopp dances on the sideline.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    While I'd agree with the notion they don't have everything going for them, it's worth noting that they are only 3 behind us in the league with a game in hand, and we've not got a massive goal difference lead on them. I wouldn't be shocked if they jumped us by the end of the season.

Fixture wise, they're going to get a massive, massive boost by having a week off between the two matches, while we've got to go and play a very good West Ham side in a knockout match.

Form wise, the only match they've lost in the last month is against City, and it was on penalties. They will be well up for it, and will be hungry to score goals.

I'd worry about that game on the 17th at OT. We're going to be exhausted against a fresher Liverpool, and you can bet that whoever is showing it will be focusing heavily on the juxtaposition of LVG sitting on the bench while Klopp dances on the sideline.
    Sure, can't disagree with any of that. But in the context of Utd, the only reason they have everything going for them is simple; Klopp. Love him or loathe him (and most every Utd fan loved him at Dortmund), he is an incredible manager, and the main reason Liverpool are gaining this momentum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sure, can't disagree with any of that. But in the context of Utd, the only reason they have everything going for them is simple; Klopp. Love him or loathe him (and most every Utd fan loved him at Dortmund), he is an incredible manager, and the main reason Liverpool are gaining this momentum.

Just saw Klopp doing an ad for Opel.If that was LVG he would have the car reversing,the sat nav turned off and getting lost only to somehow find his way to his destination before saying "Told you we would get here."

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

I've long suspected that we are going to fizzle out over the rest of the season, I've had no real hope of any form of success at all. There are no more league one sides to look good against now, there is no sparkling football going to appear as if by magic. Instead we are just going to see the same drab football interspersed with the odd good result as we tick along to 5th or 6th place. The Watford and West Brom performances were performances we have been seeing for 2 years, there wasn't really any surprises there.

So when I look at fixture lists its hard to get worked up one way or another, we all know where this ends anyway. There is no corner to be turned and anybody still waiting for the Van Gaal experiment to finally "click" is just deluding themselves. Its been 2 years, this is it, this is what he has created.

We will probably beat Liverpool, and have another little 3 game run near the end of the season where we attack with a bit of pace and win a few games. It won't mean anything. Until the board pull their finger put and do what needed to be done a year ago its all just marking time.

Was always gonna happen. Our squad was left paper thin by him. Smalling has played every single game he has been available and when he gets injured people cry bad luck. Maybe if he didn't play every single game all season he might not get injured.

Everton away, Arsenal at home etc, games where we played well...these are anomalies. Anomalies like Spurs losing v Newcastle at home or Arsenal losing at home to Swansea.

zerks wrote: »
    Just saw Klopp doing an ad for Opel.If that was LVG he would have the car reversing,the sat nav turned off and getting lost only to somehow find his way to his destination before saying "Told you we would get here."

LVG wouldn't do an ad for Opel. It would have to be Volvo, voted safest car in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

We've been lucky in the liverpool games, it'll probably even itself out this week and next.

I wouldn't say you've been that lucky, you well out played us at OT in the second half. At Anfield we created very little clear cut for all our supposed dominance and UTD took the chance when it came their way. My worry from a Liverpool perspective is that UTD have looked very comfortably defensively in those games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We have created fcuk all chances since Van Gaal arrived, how many games now have we had 60% possession, usually 0-2 shots on goal and the other team nicks a result. That is a picture of the average game under Van Gaal, it is what he will be remembered for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

We have created fcuk all chances since Van Gaal arrived, how many games now have we had 60% possession, usually 0-2 shots on goal and the other team nicks a win. That is a picture of the average game under Van Gaal, it is what he will be remembered for.

Win our next 2 Europa games and I'll be remembering him for something else :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We have created fcuk all chances since Van Gaal arrived, how many games now have we had 60% possession

Its notable that for all the philosophy and possession guff, for all the aspirations to be a passing team that controls the ball, that we actually **** our pants when trying to close a game out. Watch us 1-0 up in the 80th minute and you will see a side struggling to hold onto the ball, which is strange considering that for all that sideways passing we do you would think we would at least get good at retaining possession.

Its notable that for all the philosophy and possession guff, for all the aspirations to be a passing team that controls the ball, that we actually **** our pants when trying to close a game out. Watch us 1-0 up in the 80th minute and you will see a side struggling to hold onto the ball, which is strange considering that for all that sideways passing we do you would think we would at least get good at retaining possession.

This is definetly one of the most annoying things for me, even yesterday if we were a good passing team we could have done way better yesterday even with 10 men.. ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I respect LVG as a person and as a coach for his achievements in the past but he has failed at Man Utd and is now a negative influence on the team. The style of play has been awful to watch all season and only improved slightly when hit with injury armageddon and forced to play youngsters not fully indoctrinated with his negative philosophy.

When Martial arrived at first he impressed instantly with his goal against Liverpool where he just went for goal despite being faced by a number of defenders, he trusted his own instinct and scored a great goal. On Sunday, after a great run by Mata, he got the ball with just one defender between him and goal. Instead of going for goal he took two or three touches, allowing more defenders to get goal side of him then he passed the ball sideways. That is what Van Gaal has done to him. Clear as day.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Only consolation about Liverpool game is that pressure will be on them.

Our season is goosed, they have everything going for them now.

Even if we do win it we get beat in QF

Liverpool have a little momentum (whatever use that is) and a free weekend in between games, that is about it. Our season has been pretty dismal as well and as liable to have a limp home defeat as anything. I don't think we've managed to be ahead of ye in the table at any point this season.

We have addressed our manager problem (I'm hopeful in a good way, but remains to be seen of course) but let's not pretend that this tie is anything other than a tie between two poor teams who used to both be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Korat wrote: »
    I respect LVG as a person and as a coach for his achievements in the past but he has failed at Man Utd and is now a negative influence on the team. The style of play has been awful to watch all season and only improved slightly when hit with injury armageddon and forced to play youngsters not fully indoctrinated with his negative philosophy.

When Martial arrived at first he impressed instantly with his goal against Liverpool where he just went for goal despite being faced by a number of defenders, he trusted his own instinct and scored a great goal. On Sunday, after a great run by Mata, he got the ball with just one defender between him and goal. Instead of going for goal he took two or three touches, allowing more defenders to get goal side of him then he passed the ball sideways. That is what Van Gaal has done to him. Clear as day.

What about when he beat a couple of players and laid it off for a shot by Rashford I think? Was that also Van Gaal? He went inside that time because Rojo was making the run outside and he ran into trouble. Using one incident to judge an effect of the manager on a player and calling it clear as day is ridiculous. It was Van Gaal who spent 50 odd million on him.

5starpool wrote: »
    Liverpool have a little momentum (whatever use that is) and a free weekend in between games, that is about it. Our season has been pretty dismal as well and as liable to have a limp home defeat as anything. I don't think we've managed to be ahead of ye in the table at any point this season.

We have addressed our manager problem (I'm hopeful in a good way, but remains to be seen of course) but let's not pretend that this tie is anything other than a tie between two poor teams who used to both be great.
    But Utd are still revenue rich so it's ok.

Klopp is fantastic. He has Mourinho's best managerial attributes in terms of player morale except seemingly without the same toxic personal defects. Depending on how he handles transfers this Summer, I think Liverpool will be a force again in a footballing sense sooner than Utd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Klopp is fantastic. He has Mourinho's best managerial attributes in terms of player morale except seemingly without the same toxic personal defects. Depending on how he handles transfers this Summer, I think Liverpool will be a force again in a footballing sense sooner than Utd.

Haven't heard that one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Personally I can't see that happening unless the owners cop on with their transfer policy. Not really the place to get into that though. I admire him as a coach though and would love him at United.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Haven't heard that one before.
    Well, personally I think he's in the top two managers currently in the league along with Pochettino, meaning no disrespect to Wenger. I would be very surprised if he doesn't have Liverpool challenging for the title next season, whereas I would not be at all as confident about Utd. As that poster said, they're both currently poor teams that were once great. But Liverpool have a significant head start right now and a long term plan in place you would imagine with Klopp. Utd don't even realise that their manager should have been sacked weeks ago. Doesn't inspire confidence.
    KH25 wrote: »
    Personally I can't see that happening unless the owners cop on with their transfer policy. Not really the place to get into that though. I admire him as a coach though and would love him at United.
    They would be crazy not to allow Klopp complete control over transfer this Summer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Well, personally I think he's in the top two managers currently in the league along with Pochettino, meaning no disrespect to Wenger. I would be very surprised if he doesn't have Liverpool challenging for the title next season, whereas I would not be at all as confident about Utd. As that poster said, they're both currently poor teams that were once great. But Liverpool have a significant head start right now and a long term plan in place you would imagine with Klopp. Utd don't even realise that their manager should have been sacked weeks ago. Doesn't inspire confidence.

They would be crazy not to allow Klopp complete control over transfer this Summer imo.

What about ranieri?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Liam O wrote: »
    What about when he beat a couple of players and laid it off for a shot by Rashford I think? Was that also Van Gaal? He went inside that time because Rojo was making the run outside and he ran into trouble. Using one incident to judge an effect of the manager on a player and calling it clear as day is ridiculous. It was Van Gaal who spent 50 odd million on him.

That was when we were down to 10 men. I said at the time that would force us to be more direct. We did actually look more urgent in the final third when down to 10 but that just shows how awful the starting tactics were. Keep passing over and back going nowhere. I'm sick of it.

The point I made about Martial is not an isolated incident if you've been paying attention this season. This has happened to the entire squad. They're going against their instincts and following LVGs possession at all costs, take no risks philosophy. Our defence has racked up lots of clean sheets because of all the 0-0 draws but has any attacking player improved this season?

• Advertisement

You act like Klopp has ever had complete control over transfers before?

Hococop wrote: »
    What about ranieri?

Ranieri has failed a lot more than he's achieved in the recent past. He's riding the wave as they say now. He was never a bad manager but he's not anything special.

LVG wouldn't do an ad for Opel. It would have to be Volvo, voted safest car in Europe.

Nah,it'd be a Nissan Micra-plodding along and driving everybody else insane.Eventually it gets left behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Liverpool for as long as I remember, have shot themselves in the foot regarding transfers. So I don't for a second believe Klopp is going to get the single point of decision making that many believe.

I also don't see them challenging for the title next season at all. Rodgers left that squad in an absolute state, and there are genuine quality issues all over the place. Cup competitions aside, I don't expect Klopp to have Liverpool competitive until atleast his third year when talking about titles, and that includes a big caveat of him even doing it at all.

I don't even see Liverpool making CL next season if I'm honest.

The Dr.Eva case has just finished,the outcome might dictate what Fergie & Charlton will do to influence any appointment of Jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Notice it went unmentioned again. But I'll put it out there.

I've preface it by saying I don't really care. I'm not a fan that just loves a player sticking the foot in, or who runs around a lot. But it was just another example of double standards and if anything hypocritical fans and pundits. Martials attitude yesterday stank. If your into that sort of thing, I'm surprised he wasn't singled out more. The game wasn't going his way and he totally shrank. Summed up when he got tackled in the West Brom half and then stayed down, and when the West Brom play slowed up by Rojo, Martial was just standing there on the half way line, making little limping gestures.

As I said I don't have any major issue with it. I can appreciate why he was frustrated, and that young players are going to get stroppy. He was being fed **** long balls and was clearly getting fed up. He also got a few strong tackles from their right back early on.

But if that was Memphis, he would have been torn asunder by fans and some pundits. It has been noticeable now for a few weeks if not longer that Martial can be just as disinterested when things don't go his way and can be just as flippant in his defensive duties. But just as I didn't really care with Memphis, the same applies to Martial. I don't think either should be tasked with tracking back, and they should be allowed longer up front to spring a counter. Too many times this season when we turnover possession, we have runners from behind the ball, and just a striker, and no hope of a counter attack.

TheDoc wrote: »

I've preface it by saying I don't really care. I'm not a fan that just loves a player sticking the foot in, or who runs around a lot. But it was just another example of double standards and if anything hypocritical fans and pundits. Martials attitude yesterday stank. If your into that sort of thing, I'm surprised he wasn't singled out more. The game wasn't going his way and he totally shrank. Summed up when he got tackled in the West Brom half and then stayed down, and when the West Brom play slowed up by Rojo, Martial was just standing there on the half way line, making little limping gestures.

As I said I don't have any major issue with it. I can appreciate why he was frustrated, and that young players are going to get stroppy. He was being fed **** long balls and was clearly getting fed up. He also got a few strong tackles from their right back early on.

But if that was Memphis, he would have been torn asunder by fans and some pundits. It has been noticeable now for a few weeks if not longer that Martial can be just as disinterested when things don't go his way and can be just as flippant in his defensive duties. But just as I didn't really care with Memphis, the same applies to Martial. I don't think either should be tasked with tracking back, and they should be allowed longer up front to spring a counter. Too many times this season when we turnover possession, we have runners from behind the ball, and just a striker, and no hope of a counter attack.

Memphis has been involved in a number of goals we have conceded while he has never once bailed us out in the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

I don't even see Liverpool making CL next season if I'm honest.

I think top 4 next year will be very interesting for the following reasons:-

1. Will Leicester be able to hold their squad together and improve it or will they prove to be a one season wonder? (I think the latter which will free up on CL spot)

2. If LVG stays that will free up one CL spot and if he doesn't will an incoming manager (Giggs or Mourinho) be able to transform the squad and playing style quickly enough to get a CL spot?

3. If Wegner finally moves upstairs will Arsenal have a couple of years transitioning or will they push on and be genuine title contenders instead of perennial bridesmaids? (I suspect the former)

4. Will Pochettino be tempted away from Spurs? If so I see Spurs fading fast out of the CL reckoning.

5. If Klopp can get the mess he inherited to a LC final, the last 16 of the Europa and be even in contention for a CL place without a single signing of his own in the squad what will he do if he brings in a proper GK, a proper CB (Matip already signed), a proper CM who can use the ball and swap Benteke for a more mobile FW who can compliment Sturridge (back to fitness), Firmino, Origi and Ings (also back to fitness)?

6. Chelsea will be raring to show what they can do and I've no doubt Conte (or whoever the new manager will be) will have them in the CL shakeup.

7. Pep will take a great squad which is blowing hot and cold under Pelligrini, sprinkle some Galatico's on it and work his magic in no time. If City are in the top 4 after 10 games next season Paddy Power will be paying out on them. You heard it here first :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The comparison with Depay is one issue, and a valid one.

But the performance from Martial is about what I would expect from a 19 year old thrown into a top side and being asked to carry all their hopes and aspirations without a break all season. I don't think he has been quite as impressive as a lot of fans seem to think, his impressive start has covered up more than a few poor games to be honest, but on the flip side I would also expect a lot less from a kid of his age.

If Van Gaal is all about the kids then he really isn't showing it with Martial, flogging the kid is no form of development and its no real surprise that his flashes of skill are coming less and less frequently these days.

7 league goals this season, thats about right for a young kid finding his feet in the league. The only problem is that he has been asked to fill the role of main man up front and a 7 goal return doesn't do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

But the performance from Martial is about what I would expect from a 19 year old thrown into a top side and being asked to carry all their hopes and aspirations without a break all season. I don't think he has been quite as impressive as a lot of fans seem to think, his impressive start has covered up more than a few poor games to be honest, but on the flip side I would also expect a lot less from a kid of his age.

If Van Gaal is all about the kids then he really isn't showing it with Martial, flogging the kid is no form of development and its no real surprise that his flashes of skill are coming less and less frequently these days.

7 league goals this season, thats about right for a young kid finding his feet in the league. The only problem is that he has been asked to fill the role of main man up front and a 7 goal return doesn't do that.

He's being asked to do his job, the same as everyone else.

• Advertisement

Where would we be if we didn't have Martial?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Where would we be if we didn't have Martial?

Where might we be if we didn't have Van Gaal?

This season makes it difficult to appreciate it but we actually have some very talented players at the club. A better manager would make the team look like a completely different animal. In fact, I'd go so far as to say David Moyes would probably have us in the top 4 if he had this squad of players at his disposal since the start of the season. Where we are in the table along with our perpetually limp performances is a disgrace when you take everything into consideration.

I know there are those that have their reservations about him but I think what happened to Mourinho at Chelsea will do him a world of good. He is a man with a serious point to prove and I'd say he would relish the chance to put a few blemishes on Peps CV. Utd can give him the best platform he could ask for as a manager. I'm desperately hoping it will happen.

In the words of Kevin Keegan, "I will love it" if Mourinho is our manager next year :)

He's barely played up front in fairness. His ability to beat players and his finishing ability look to be very high and that's in a team where goals and flair have been hard to find.

I think a big issue with United is that people (and LVG obviously) want the likes of Martial and Memphis to put in a defensive shift. How much do Messi and Neymar get back? It means that opposition players merely have to stay narrow and deep as they'll have plenty of time to react to any movements from the attackers. The way to counter this is to have the wingers both become 2nd and 3rd strikers and have the full backs cutting the line. In fairness this was much more the case in the last few games than a lot of times this season. Mainly due to Mata always being available as an out ball imo.

With United however both the full backs and wingers are basically inbetweeners, not given any real attacking freedom but also expected to perform. For a winger this generally involves taking on 2 or 3 players which isn't easy. You'd need someone who's a great crosser of the ball like Nani to make it work. Martial and Lingard don't really fit the bill. Memphis isn't bad but I think he prefers to go inside rather than outside.

According to Le 10 Sport, Jose has contacted Ibrahimovic about joining him at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

J. Marston wrote: »
    Mata can keep his hugs this week.

That's how upset I am.

Lol I just read Mata's blog there. He didn't sign off with any hugs today! Maybe he reads boards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Paddy giving the manager a hard time, very nice to see.

"ITS ALL THE MANAGERS FAULT"
    Paddy Crerand 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Paddy Crerand 2016

That's Paddy fired then.

LOL Stuart.

"Its the first european away game that ill go to and be worried more about my car"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Paddy Crerand 2016

Probably the first time I've seen him not toe the company line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

astradave wrote: »
    Probably the first time I've seen him not toe the company line.

Some embarrassing if paddy sees it and ed doesnt...

Ooh, did he really say that? Any more?

If you have lost him, you're doing something wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Or maybe he IS toeing the company line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If Paddy has gone to the dark side there's no going back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Bring back Bebe I say...

Hg6cyuQ.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I like seeing Bebe do well. Wasnt his fault he was involved in one of the most crooked transfers of all time.

• Advertisement

TheTownie wrote: »
    Bring back Bebe I say...

Hg6cyuQ.gif

Should never of sold him he is a world class player :)

Ooh, did he really say that? Any more?

If you have lost him, you're doing something wrong...

Well the caller was blaming the owners for everything and Ed for not signing players and Paddy lunged in with "ITS ALL THE MANAGERS FAULT" went on a little rant about how Ed and the glazers don't pick the team and that if the manager says he wants a player then the player is signed.

He was choking for around 20 mins trying to get back to normal after it.

Poor caller, it was is first time calling in after being a season ticket owner for 60 odd years.

Im stunned after watching paddy here ive never seen him so negative he even went as far as saying we wont finish in top 4 before he backtracked and said it could change in a few weeks. Must be the lvg effect.

According to Le 10 Sport, Jose has contacted Ibrahimovic about joining him at United.
    More chance of signing Ibrarnautovic.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Im stunned after watching paddy here ive never seen him so negative he even went as far as saying we wont finish in top 4 before he backtracked and said it could change in a few weeks. Must be the lvg effect.
    It's not healthy to hold that much anger inside of you. He probably did it on orders from his doctor to lower stress levels and the risk of a stroke or something.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement