Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Ahhh lads.. :rolleyes:

This Van Gaal staying for a third season story is clearly some Liverpool fan journo trying to destabilise Utd coming into a tie that will having bragging rights for a very long time.

Crude trolling, subtle pyschological warfare, whatever it's complete bullsh1t. LVG is gone this summer or like Moyes whenever CL qualification is no longer possible, even if he wins the FA Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I don't think United would be putting out stories that LVG was under threat when they need the players to perform so we can have something to look forward to next season.
    I think he will be moved on in the summer around the time of the start of the European finals so to take away some attention and a new manager appointed straightaway.

LVG has not delivered any trophies, he still might somehow (please be Europa League) but in the league it has been bad, some good games but far too many poor to bad games.
    The face of Alex Ferguson after the West Brom game was how most United fans were feeling.
    I can't see us being subjected to a third season of that crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I'm not sure how LVG can survive the summer. Even if he wins the Europa League at this point he's still been a massive failure. His only success at United amounted to patches of form when he was forced to change the players and his rigid formation. His biggest failure as a manager is his absolute persistence with his 4-2-3-1 'philosphy'. Similarly, if Strootman hasn't injured himself before the WC LVG wouldn't have changed the system and had such huge success with giving Robben and RVP free roles in the side. He was right ot change the system but wouldn't have done it if Strootman was injured. He seems to stumble upon these patches of form due to injuries.

He really needs to go at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Korat wrote: »
    LVG is gone this summer

LVG should be gone this summer. The problem is that he actually should have been gone months ago yet there he still is. There is nothing rational about the situation, so despite the fact that any top club would have sacked him months ago we can't be certain that United will do so any time soon.

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

"I noticed that you have a negative view [Europa League in England], but against teams like Midtjylland there were how many fans? 58K." LVG

I need Mourinho so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

The headline is completely misleading. There is no source of any description, and the only quotes in the article are questioning whether he'll be there until the end of this season, nevermind next.
    Maybe it will not be his decision in the end because United can sack him
    I hope Van Gaal gets a chance to go to the end of the season and maybe see a light at the end of his tunnel, but at the moment, he is really struggling

If we don't make the Champions League, he is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

zerks wrote: »
    So LVG said in his presser we may stop living in the past and live in the present.United and Liverpool are happy to be competing in the Europa League....So he dismisses fans expectations and lowers his to the standard of Europa League.

All the bits from it here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2623200-liverpool-vs-manchester-united-louis-van-gaals-key-pre-match-presser-comments

HE was actually pretty clear in his comments, and once again being misquoted.

He was asked(stupidly) if he believes clubs like Liverpool and United should be entitled to CL football each year based on their histories.

He rubbished the question and the notion, and outlined that every club has to fight and earn the right to play in it every season. And I fully agree with him, and don't think anyone can disagree. Money and the clubs name is never enough, players, manager, staff, everyone needs to earn it year on year and not take it for granted.

If Van Gaal stayed on for a third season for more of the same, no thanks. However if some key issues were addressed and he himself changed tact a bit, to adapt to whats been going on around him rather then forcing himself on the situations, maybe I could deal with it.

I like him tremendously as a manager, and it would be great for him to retire going out on a high. But as there is really no guarantees in football, it would be just as likely to be an inconsistent, incoherent mess.

Like I'd cut Van Gaal so much slack, as I'm sure other fans would, if it was evident there was serious rebuilding and repositioning taking place at the club, as part of a plan, for more medium to long term success. But as we bluster season to season, transfer window to transfer window, nothing feels coherant or planned.

It there was a clear and transparent position that Van Gaal in this three yeas was going to navigate the team while the club re-organised and rejuvenated post Ferguson, so that someone like a Giggs or whoever, was taking over a team on the brink of success again, then I'm sure we could all fathom and stomach it. If he secured CL football again this season, does the end justify the means? For large portions we have been frustrated and angered. But two consecutive seasons back in the CL after Moyes, while the minimum we should expect, is still a decent outcome. But the method of getting there simply isn't.

It's so frustrating. when I see our squad on paper, when I think of what I expected from Louis Van Gaal, and I see how rivals have capitulated this season, there was really a strong chance for him to challenge, or even win the league this season. The points we have lost and dropped against the dross in the league. It's just so frustrating the more I think about it. Taking so long to settle with Mata at 10. Memphis not continuing his Erdevise form, the injuries, Shaws injury, Rooney's terrible form. It really could have been so different this season....

Another season of haphazardy, I don't see how it can come about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

RobertKK wrote: »
    I don't think United would be putting out stories that LVG was under threat when they need the players to perform so we can have something to look forward to next season.
    I think he will be moved on in the summer around the time of the start of the European finals so to take away some attention and a new manager appointed straightaway.

LVG has not delivered any trophies, he still might somehow (please be Europa League) but in the league it has been bad, some good games but far too many poor to bad games.
    The face of Alex Ferguson after the West Brom game was how most United fans were feeling.
    I can't see us being subjected to a third season of that crap.

Exactly saying he's surplus to requirements now is effectively telling the players, relax lads no need to play for this guy any more you can start a fresh when someone else comes in. At least the players having doubts about it ensures they at least put some effort in, in the hope they remain in his 2016/17 plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

TheDoc wrote: »
    If Van Gaal stayed on for a third season for more of the same, no thanks. However if some key issues were addressed and he himself changed tact a bit, to adapt to whats been going on around him rather then forcing himself on the situations, maybe I could deal with it.

kn.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

More of a chance of Jose and Ibra coming to United then LVG staying so don't worry

But two consecutive seasons back in the CL after Moyes, while the minimum we should expect, is still a decent outcome. But the method of getting there simply isn't.

Its only a decent outcome if you have some sort of stockholm syndrome and your expectations of the country's biggest club are completely in the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Expectations are at all time low. Van Gaal saying ManUtd should be happy with Europa is embarrassing. ManUtd shouldn't even be just happy with being in CL. For a club of our size and revenue, we should be competing to win biggest trophies.

Its only a decent outcome if you have some sort of stockholm syndrome and your expectations of the country's biggest club are completely in the toilet.

Or that I'm being realistic, and from a pretty shambolic season, getting 4th would be pretty miraculous.

I'm not accepting it as an achievement, I'm just saying all things considered with the way the season has panned out, getting top 4 from this point, would be pretty good. Not exactly for Van gaal himself as an accolade, it would just be a good achievement salvaging that with 9 games to go, where we should be dead and buried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Expectations are at all time low. Van Gaal saying ManUtd should be happy with Europa is embarrassing. ManUtd shouldn't even be just happy with being in CL. For a club of our size and revenue, we should be competing to win biggest trophies.

just because you have the biggest c**k, doesn't mean you are the best at s*x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Or that I'm being realistic, and from a pretty shambolic season, getting 4th would be pretty miraculous.

I'm not accepting it as an achievement, I'm just saying all things considered with the way the season has panned out, getting top 4 from this point, would be pretty good. Not exactly for Van gaal himself as an accolade, it would just be a good achievement salvaging that with 9 games to go, where we should be dead and buried.

It would be a good achievement in the circumstances but the reason we're in this position is a result of his other massive failings such as his rigid formation, ambiguous player selection, poor transfer policy and being catastrophically unable to motivate any of his players for any prolonged period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

bangkok wrote: »

is that what the girl who friend zoned you said about Fellaini???

another reason you don't like him.. or proves your point...

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

We're not even in contention to get sex, nevermind be the best at it. :pac:

We're not even in contention to get sex, nevermind be the best at it. :pac:

we get the "10 to 2, she'll have to do" girl :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I don't get this talk that Van Gaal hasn't been flexible enough. He has tried two distinct styles of play (a conservative possession style and a more direct and free style); he has tried many different formations and pretty much every player in most positions they are caplable of. I think being flexible and willing to adapt has definitely not been the problem with Van Gaal. He has just been bad at the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Moyes almost got us to a CL semi final

Liverpool will probably knock us out of the Europa league two years later

I think we are aiming for rock bottom

I think we are aiming for rock bottom

Well at least if that's the case we are a resounding success! It's been a great season! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

we get the "10 to 2, she'll have to do" girl :pac:

LVG is the guy trying to convince everyone that banging a Katoey was his plan along. :p

Well at least if that's the case we are a resounding success! It's been a great season! :pac:

Getting knocked out of the cups and finishing below Chelsea and/or Liverpool would be rock bottom for me

I think we're safe from relegation at the moment

Getting knocked out of the cups and finishing below Chelsea and/or Liverpool would be rock bottom for me

I think we're safe from relegation at the moment

Everything has been so bad that I think I'd even struggle to enjoy an unlikely win in one of the cups. The whole season is just like a dark cloud at this stage. Normally with so many fixtures coming thick and fast I'd be in my element, but now watching the games almost feels like a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

I'd love if we had Mourinho and Ibra for next season

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

xtal191 wrote: »

Knowing Utds luck they will sign him and then he will get injured at the Euro's,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Any chance of Blanc leaving PSG for United this summer? Could do a lot worse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

xtal191 wrote: »

Imagine the ego. Swag would be back at United. Let's go for Ronaldo too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Imagine the ego. Swag would be back at United. Let's go for Ronaldo too :D

A goal and an assist and was still booed last night, id say he is getting sick of it at this stage! we can bring him back and let him be appreciated :pac:

How did Ibra play tonight?

Think he could do it away at West Brom or Sunderland or Bournemouth? or home against Newcastle, or Norwich?

Don't think I could deal with Ibrahimovic signing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

he could be our new Cantona, or our new Berbatov.

queue massive Berbatov arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

he could be our new Cantona, or our new Berbatov.

queue massive Berbatov arguments.

Our new Djemba Djemba.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Yes but that analogy looks stupid when it comes to football. You have all the resources so its easy to get to the top.

• Advertisement

Its Fudging match day boys...

I wanna rip the hearts out of those scousers tonight..

queue a snoozefest..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

brinty wrote: »
    Its Fudging match day boys...

I wanna rip the hearts out of those scousers tonight..

queue a snoozefest..

As long as we aint trashed tonight and as good as out of it we be ok. I'll be too drunk to worry about it next week.

jayo26 wrote: »
    As long as we aint trashed tonight and as good as out of it we be ok. I'll be too drunk to worry about it next week.

Jayo I think there wasn't enough Kate on sunday... have we not learned she guarantee's victory

astradave wrote: »
    A goal and an assist and was still booed last night, id say he is getting sick of it at this stage! we can bring him back and let him be appreciated :pac:

am I right in saying v West Brom for the first 10 mins of the game the fans were singing 'viva ronaldo'??

brinty wrote: »
    Jayo I think there wasn't enough Kate on sunday... have we not learned she guarantee's victory

I agree but she is also a guaranteed yellow card. We just need to Convince Jayop to take the hit for it instead of us...... Shouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement

Spanish ref tonight who likes his cards.

Hope he has some common sense and understands the type of match it is going to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Spanish ref tonight who likes his cards.

Hope he has some common sense and understands the type of match it is going to be.

Powers are offering 13/5 on a red tonight :D

am I right in saying v West Brom for the first 10 mins of the game the fans were singing 'viva ronaldo'??

Yep they were it sounded a bit loud for just the united fans In my opinion but seemingly it was.

I think they should of ended the match singing ta ra lvg.

• NEGATIVITY AAAAAAAAAAAA

We are going to win tonight. There I said it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Absolutely dreading tonight. Dreading the next three weeks but tonight sets the tone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Little quiz to get things going ;) 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Little quiz to get things going ;) 8/10

8/10 as well happy with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Sadly I'm indifferent to the results since December and I never thought I'd be like that. Whether we get through this round or not really makes no difference. All it'll take is an ok team not even a good one and we're out. We're not capable of stringing a couple of performances together so I'm just hoping to ger to may and then see some changes. It's a pity really cos I'd be ok with a lot of that team, it's just the life seems to have been sucked out of them. It could take more than a pre season to get a spring back in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I got 9/10 on that quiz! damn that white suit question!!

Sadly I'm indifferent to the results since December and I never thought I'd be like that.

The worst part is that the season was completely salvageable in December, had the board done their jobs a good manager could easily have pushed that team on for some sort of title push. Its such a ****ing waste of a season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement