Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

My favourite bit was when we ended up with five central midfielders on the pitch. Pity Morgan went off, six would have been even cooler.

#squadplanning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Fellaini isn't Utd standard but it's not his fault Utd bought him or that the manager picks him.

Likewise Van Gaal isn't Utd standard and it's not his fault the club appointed him.

The buck stops with Ed Woodward.

People really need to take off their Bangkok tinted glasses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I thought Liverpool were poor.... Which shows how bad Utd were.

They weren't. They're not a great team by any stretch but they weren't poor tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Since the day Moyes took over I've not seen any real passion from the players. It spread like a cancer through the team as soon as Fergie left. No motivation and look like they're not even trying. Now I'm not sure how much "honesty of effort" or the likes mean in today's game but I still would like to see someone at least look like they want to win, from the manager down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Have we had any "we must do better next time" social media posts yet?

They are beginning to irk me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Fellaini kept possession well. Schneiderlin on the otherhand hid the whole game and when he did get the ball deep dinked it forward to nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Herrera was non existent when he came on
    Schwein was ineffectie
    De Gea was par

Fellaini actually falls well down the list of players that were ****ing ****e tonight. It may be a sad indictment of the club, the team, the players, whatever, that he was one of the better performers, in a **** performance.....but he was.

I take it you are smoking something funny with the above comments.

1. Herrera and Schweinstiger got 10-15min at most at end of game to rescue already sunken shipped you say they were non existent and ineffective when they came on
    2. De Gea was par????? WOW Have no idea where you pulled that out of
    3. Fellani wad nothing short of disgraceful and a scumbag all night. Cheap shots and fouling, leading with the elbow and that off the ball ****e at the end. I hope he never plays for the club again

Please watch the game again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

People really need to take off their Bangkok tinted glasses

Someone said Fellaini was excellent tonight.... Not sure what game they were watching.

Roy Keane v juventus was excellent.

Paul scholes v Barcelona was excellent.

Fellaini was far from excellent. He would probably receive a high rating of 5/10 for Utd outfield players tonight. Everyone else gets a 4/10 or 5/10 apart from de gea who right now is on his phone to his agent telling him to get me the **** out of Manchester

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Liam O wrote: »
    Since the day Moyes took over I've not seen any real passion from the players. It spread like a cancer through the team as soon as Fergie left. No motivation and look like they're not even trying. Now I'm not sure how much "honesty of effort" or the likes mean in today's game but I still would like to see someone at least look like they want to win, from the manager down.

definitely something ive seen. It honestly confuses me and I just don't understand what the issue is :s I am personally of the opinion that a healthy man united = a healthy Liverpool and i much prefer United as a team to Chelsea and City (corruption and various other similar reasons, stuff that actually has effects in the 'real' world outside the football bubble) but yeah, something has just been eating away at the squad for a few years now and money doesnt seem to be solving the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

How many transfer windows is it going to take to get the squad in order?

Lack of fight and leadership throughout the team was so disappointing tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

BMMachine wrote: »
    yes i did watch and yes i will pull fellaini out for criticism. he did nothing well. the last 30 minutes the game literally went on around him. he got done by pretty much every liverpool player and the only ones he didnt were the ones he ran into. Of course he isnt scholes or keane or anything like that - but he should not be anywhere near the starting line up of that team. I have literally no idea how people can be defending him on that performance tonight. like, what did you see that I didnt? I saw a massively negative player and a guy who cant be trusted with the ball at his feet. hes tall and awkward, thats literally it. Im honestly confused as to how some Utd fans can be defending him on that performance.

I saw him receiving the ball in tight spots, keeping possession and passing it to teammates in a way that they were advantaged when they received it. He did that by use of a good first touch, good strength and reasonably tidy passing.

That was the thing that stood out for me.

He also got a bit too physical, and so ran the risk of a second card, and made decent contributions in the air in either box - all things he is well known for - but it was his work in possession that caught my eye. And while he wasn't amazing in possession, he was still good and, considering how poorly the team's overall play was, that stood out.

Honestly, his good play tonight was so obvious to me that I would doubt the seriousness of anybody who says that it didn't happen.

Herrera was non existent when he came on
    Schwein was ineffective
    Schneiderlin is a coward all season plain and simple
    Blind is absolutely infuriating
    Memphis anonymous
    Martial anonymous
    Rashford is a kid, I'm not going to slate him, or Varela
    Rojo was ok, but still ****e in so many ways
    De Gea was par
    Carrick was poor

Fellaini actually falls well down the list of players that were ****ing ****e tonight. It may be a sad indictment of the club, the team, the players, whatever, that he was one of the better performers, in a **** performance.....but he was.

What makes it all the worse really, is that Liverpool are also ****ing ****e but at least they were not simply going through the motions tonight and outfought every single time.
    Agree with a lot of this, however Varela should have never played this game, he is backup material at best. Darmian is better in every way except maybe crossing. Rashford should have dropped to the bench as soon as Martial came back. It's great putting on the young lads and maybe giving them the odd game but starting to rely on them is folly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

bangkok wrote: »
    Someone said Fellaini was excellent tonight.... Not sure what game they were watching.

Roy Keane v juventus was excellent.

Paul scholes v Barcelona was excellent.

Classic Bangkok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Fellaini was far from excellent. He would probably receive a high rating of 5/10 for Utd outfield players tonight. Everyone else gets a 4/10 or 5/10 apart from de gea who right now is on his phone to his agent telling him to get me the **** out of Manchester

Is it possible to get negative points (Memphis) ?

Liam O wrote: »
    Agree with a lot of this, however Varela should have never played this game, he is backup material at best. Darmian is better in every way except maybe crossing. Rashford should have dropped to the bench as soon as Martial came back. It's great putting on the young lads and maybe giving them the odd game but starting to rely on them is folly.

I think Martial needs a rest. He's played way more games than he should have and has looked leggy recently.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Dare I say it Martial cannot play striker by himself. Only seems to play well off the left.

This is the exact same thing that happened with Rooney earlier in the season. If the team don't attack properly, the striker won't do anything. The problem is the manager, not the players.

Is it possible to get negative points (Memphis) ?

If it was marca, Memphis would get -1. Useless

adox wrote: »
    Classic Bangkok.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-2-0-manchester-united-11023576

Player ratings. The "excellent" fellaini got a 4/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

How many transfer windows is it going to take to get the squad in order?

Lack of fight and leadership throughout the team was so disappointing tonight.

Did you not get the memo ? LVG cleared the deadwood last summer the squad is grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

That was possibly the worst performance I have ever seen from a United seem. It is absolutely disgusting that that man takes payment to prepare and pick a United side to go out and do what they did this evening. It's at a worrying if not frightening stage where the man in charge no longer simply resembles a bad manager, but instead a man who is completely and utterly clueless and incompetent with almost disturbing ideas on how football is played. The way he picks and prepares his team to play just doesn't seem in tune with how most people think football should be played. Goals aren't a priority, getting the ball anywhere near the opponents box is a chore, showing any ambition or flair is frowned upon. I've lost count of the amount of times van Gaal has made a sh*t situation even worse with his substitutions. There is absolutely no valid reason for allowing Depay and Fellaini to play the full 90 minutes tonight, especially with Schweinsteiger Herrera on the bench - two guys that can actually play football. Bringing Carrick on at half time, after the performance he put in on Sunday, for Rashford was shocking and pretty much told Liverpool that we were happy to take the 0-1 defeat.

Depay - That guy is a complete and utter fraud. He is possibly the worst player I have ever seen play for United. It's laughable that people tipped this guy to be the next Ronaldo. That people are saying he's now more Nani than Ronaldo is an insult to Nani. Depay isn't fit to lace Nani's boots. If he was half the player Nani was for United then we wouldn't be doing too bad. It's sickening that he wears the no. 7 jersey. What an insult to those that wore it before him. He should be playing with the reserves until we find someone stupid enough to buy him.

Fellaini - Quite simply a joke of a footballer. He's a parody of himself. To think United used to have Keane and Scholes controlling matches and now this clown who isn't even in complete control of his own limbs is starting games in midfield? It's embarrassing.

Mata - Another completely and utterly anonymous performance from him which is rapidly becoming the norm. Imagine the flak Rooney would get if he was as invisible as Mata tonight. At least when Rooney has shockers it's obvious because he actually gets on the ball and at least tries to make things happen. I can't actually remember Mata doing anything tonight.

Carrick - He is so finished. Was disgusted to see him come on at half time however I quickly forgot he was on the pitch until his comedy of errors led to Liverpool's 2nd. A shocking clearance followed up by a nutmeg, just embarrassing to watch. As was the replay of him busting his boll*cks late on chasing a ball towards United's goal line to put it out for a corner.

Martial - Another toothless display, which is happening quite often. How many more before he starts getting some deserved criticism? I recall a few posts here saying how lucky we are to have Martial. He's an extremely talented player, but how many points has he actually won for United?

de Gea - He must be tearing his hair out playing behind such utter sh*te. He is solely responsible for a lot of sides not putting 5 or 6 past United in games this season. He deserves so much better than this.

The rest - sh*te.

It's just so sad to see this great club move further into mediocrity week in week out. van Gaal saying this week that Liverpool is like any other game and United fans should be happy with the Europa League, it's just so sad. Those comments alone should be added to the long list of sackable offences committed by van Gaal this season. That he spend 250m to get United into this shape just beggars belief. I'd take Moyes back in a heartbeat. At least he looked like he cared as much as I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thing is I'm not even disappointed.

It's just expected now.

I wonder, at what point will fans accept that reality that Van Gaal has been worse for this club than Moyes was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I wonder, at what point will fans accept that reality that Van Gaal has been worse for this club than Moyes was?

I dont see anyone arguing to the contrary?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

That was possibly the worst performance I have ever seen from a United seem.

Missed the match this evening but if I had a penny for time I'd heard that this season.

Fellaini, Keane and Scholes mentioned in the same sentence about 10 times in this thread tonight. Strange.

So now you know to ignore the opnions of that journalist on football in future.

I dont see anyone arguing to the contrary?

:confused:

I was simply musing, every discussion starts somewhere.

I could pull up an old post from a certain somebody who did a lot of eyerolling when I said this last year, but I won't, it was just an idle thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He'll give a spikey press conference on Friday and he'll get a bunch of fans onside again.

Moyes was sacked, while doing better, with less backing.

It is a disgrace that LVG is still in charge. It is negligent, unacceptable, inexplicably insane.

It is like people at the club have bets ongoing on just how far they can drag United down the football pyramid before someone actually calls them on it.

• Advertisement

I could pull up an old post from a certain somebody who did a lot of eyerolling when I said this last year, but I won't, it was just an idle thought.

Fair enough but this time last year we werent worse than the Moyes era so its moot.

It is a disgrace that LVG is still in charge. It is negligent, unacceptable, inexplicably insane.

It is like people at the club have bets ongoing on just how far they can drag United down the football pyramid before someone actually calls them on it.

My theory is that its not actually Ed Woodward in charge of the club, but instead its Glazier favourite Nick Powell, who unfortunately does not watch the games and so isn't really bothered what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

LVG: "Fellaini was one of the best players on the pitch".l

That just about sums it up for me.... a totally clumsy player.. as subtle as a car ferry doing a 3 point turn... Pool midfield ghosted past him... look none of our midfield were great tonight. ... **** Moyes for buying him . As for Blind.... he's just a very very poor Phil Neville type of utility player. Bastian is past it..... Sneiderlin is over rated .... in over 50 years a united fan I have seen plenty of **** teams... but not for this kind of money laid out

3 years of dross... and spent heavily for the dross...... so don't get me started.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

SAF is on the board, surely he is telling them enough is enough?

Fair enough but this time last year we werent worse than the Moyes era so its moot.

indeed - there was hope that things would be different this season.

All hope is gone now, for me anyway. And it isnt just LVG related - the longer this farce continues the less hope I have for United under the Glazers and their various stooges for the years to come because I see no reason to have faith that they will make the right football decisions.

I don't think there is anyone with the power to make decisions at the club with football related intelligence to execute those decisions. Loads of them know how to extract the cash though.

My theory is that its not actually Ed Woodward in charge of the club, but instead its Glazier favourite Nick Powell, who unfortunately does not watch the games and so isn't really bothered what happens.

As a fifa fan he'd have demanded we buy some players with pace.

• Advertisement

I could easily argue that we were, certainly our performances from December 2014 to March 2015 were as bad as at any time in the past 3 years. The only difference is that more people were prepared to give Van Gaal time due to simple blind faith that he had a plan.

Try searching the megathreads from that time period and you will see what people thought of some of the performances, it wasn't pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Robson99 wrote: »
    I take it you are smoking something funny with the above comments.

1. Herrera and Schweinstiger got 10-15min at most at end of game to rescue already sunken shipped you say they were non existent and ineffective when they came on So to your mind, they were effective, yet I am smoking something funny.....funny.
    2. De Gea was par????? WOW Have no idea where you pulled that out of You may be right, I probably hold big Dave to his own high standards when judging his performances
    3. Fellani wad nothing short of disgraceful and a scumbag all night. Cheap shots and fouling, leading with the elbow and that off the ball ****e at the end. I hope he never plays for the club again Thats great, not much of a counter to him being well down the list for players who were ****e though is it.

Please watch the game again

Na, once was enough thanks.

/

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

as long as it is Giggs getting the job and not Jose. If you believe the tittle tattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

had a long post typed out but it just felt pointless to post it really. It's all been said before at this stage.

The club is becoming more and more of a laughing stock every week.

Oh look I found someone marking him down as a 7/10

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/liverpool-2-0-manchester-united-7535751

I'm linking a favourable rating for him to suit my agenda.

• Advertisement

As long as a good manager is appointed in July I don't really care whether Van Gaal is sacked now or not. He is delivering very little at the moment and I strongly suspect that whatever caretaker we would replace him with would do the same. We'll finish somewhere in the range of 10th to 6th and we won't win any cups. That would almost certainly be the same with a caretaker in charge instead of LVG.

The Glazers own the club. Their man is Woodward.

Woodward can listen to SAF and David Gill and Bobby Charlton but who's direction will he follow?

adox wrote: »
    Oh look I found someone marking him down as a 7/10

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/liverpool-2-0-manchester-united-7535751

I'm linking a favourable rating for him to suit my agenda.

So you are saying he was as good as Roy Keane?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

It genuinely saddens me to see how little the club seems to care about actual footballing success. The money will start drying up eventually and they'll all be scratching their heads as to what went wrong.

The whole organisation is riddled with complacency.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Pro. F wrote: »
    I saw him receiving the ball in tight spots, keeping possession and passing it to teammates in a way that they were advantaged when they received it. He did that by use of a good first touch, good strength and reasonably tidy passing.

That was the thing that stood out for me.

He also got a bit too physical, and so ran the risk of a second card, and made decent contributions in the air in either box - all things he is well known for - but it was his work in possession that caught my eye. And while he wasn't amazing in possession, he was still good and, considering how poorly the team's overall play was, that stood out.

Honestly, his good play tonight was so obvious to me that I would doubt the seriousness of anybody who says that it didn't happen.

christ if thats the accepted line about that performance you guys are in deeper trouble than I thought. did you see him repeatedly drift into bad positions? repeatedly played around? repeatedly left out of forward moves? repeatedly run into players? elbow Can while on a yellow? playing against him was far far far too easy for Liverpool tonight. Sure utd stunk but to say that THAT was the best performance? good lord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Korat wrote: »
    The Glazers own the club. Their man is Woodward.

Woodward can listen to SAF and David Gill and Bobby Charlton but who's direction will he follow?

He should follow his own direction as he should be well aware by now that the jig is up for van Gaal. Time after time we're toothless on the field. I don't care if Woodward is waiting until the Summer to change the manager as long as he does make the change. We're not getting any better and LVG has not improved the team in anyway since Moyes took over. I'd rather we did it sooner but at this stage I don't care as long as he's not in charge for next season.

I'd love to see his employment contract and the bonus incentives he has because I'd guess Ed Woodward's remuneration package is primarily weighted towards his ability to attract sponsors rather than the performance of Manchester United Football Club.

Pro. F wrote: »
    As long as a good manager is appointed in July I don't really care whether Van Gaal is sacked now or not. He is delivering very little at the moment and I strongly suspect that whatever caretaker we would replace him with would do the same. We'll finish somewhere in the range of 10th to 6th and we won't win any cups. That would almost certainly be the same with a caretaker in charge instead of LVG.

My sentiments exactly.

The season is a write off so whether he stays or goes now wont make any difference.

The only reason Id like moves made to get him replaced sooner rather than later is if we are left managerless or in limbo come the transfer window opening then we are going to be already behind the likes of City and Chelsea who who will undoubtedly spend big and spend quickly.

I've been saying LVG should be sacked as our manager since ferguson was in charge... I'm great :pac:

My sentiments exactly.

The season is a write off so whether he stays or goes now wont make any difference.

The only reason Id like moves made to get him replaced sooner rather than later is if we are left managerless or in limbo come the transfer window opening then we are going to be already behind the likes of City and Chelsea who who will undoubtedly spend big and spend quickly.
    Under any different, caretaker or otherwise, manager I could at least hold out some hope of actually enjoying a game or two before the end of the season. Under LVG there is none. We'll Limpley finish the season under him, and then have to put our trust in a group of people to make the right decisions, who've shown no reason to belive they've a clue what they are doing.

Woodward and the glazers are a poison on the club.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement