Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

There's nothing in the elbow. Can was already diving to the ground for the stamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If Adnan doesn't start this weekend I will be annoyed. Time for Memphis and Mata to sit on the bench. Lingard on the right, Adnan on the left.

Why are you painting Memphis are a scapegoat again?

There was literally **** all balls provided to him, and when he did get it, he was mostly productive with it.

I don't get why the knives are out for him again. Why, o why, is an immense attacking player being tasked with tracking back to his own box.

Van Gaal is being ridiculous at this stage. Play Memphis, leave him high up the pitch to launch a counter.

****ing trust our fullback and DM to deal with it.

You didn't see Ferguson asking Ronaldo to track back. Needs to leave him up high, so when we counter, we can have Martial and Memphis scaring the **** out of defences on the break.

Once, ONCE last night, did we get an actually break, and it was the two interchanging play and Memphis leaving Lovren for dirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    I seen the elbow, didn't see the stamp as well!! :eek:

https://vine.co/v/iHgIxjhH0lE

Absolute thug on a football pitch there is no excuse for it apart from wanting to lash out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

There's nothing in the elbow. Can was already diving to the ground for the stamp.

Same he pushes with the forearm but can is already heading to the ground before he makes contact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh_37peUZz0&feature=player_embedded

dead right what rio saying... players we sold are much better than players we currently have. Couldn't make it up

TheDoc wrote: »
    Why are you painting Memphis are a scapegoat again?

There was literally **** all balls provided to him, and when he did get it, he was mostly productive with it.

I don't get why the knives are out for him again. Why, o why, is an immense attacking player being tasked with tracking back to his own box.

Van Gaal is being ridiculous at this stage. Play Memphis, leave him high up the pitch to launch a counter.

****ing trust our fullback and DM to deal with it.

You didn't see Ferguson asking Ronaldo to track back. Needs to leave him up high, so when we counter, we can have Martial and Memphis scaring the **** out of defences on the break.

Once, ONCE last night, did we get an actually break, and it was the two interchanging play and Memphis leaving Lovren for dirt.

LOL. Ronaldo was left up high because he was ****ing Ronaldo. You didn't see Mourinho leaving Hazard up front to save him tracking back. Fergie didn't leave Giggs up front when he was on the wing did he?

I'll do it later and show how ****e Memphis was. Lost the ball 90% of the time.

And he is not "immense". BTW it's not just tracking back. It's when he loses the ball he just doesn't give a fcuk. He wants to go to Madrid if he ever is good enough..which he won't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Van Gaal lost the same amount of games as McClaren since the new year

It's amazing how this is happening at United, could you imagine this happening at Barca or Madrid? We are well on course to becoming Liverpool Mk II unless the next managerial appointment is a major success

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

BMMachine wrote: »
    yeah same, Ive worked in media and as a journalist and I know the score in that regard.

Well that's quite a quick turn around from you. Last night you were adamant that the opinions of professional journalists "crush" any arguments they contradict.
    Even still, was talking to a Utd fan I know this morning who watched the game, same guy plays at a semi-pro level (heart issue which stopped him going full time :s ) and got him to have a read of this thread and he honestly couldnt believe the amount of people saying Fellaini wasn't bad. I won't say his exact words as I think they were exaggerated :p but you get the picture. Honestly Im done talking about Fellaini now, as I said I doubt he will be there come august and will probably end up back at everton and back to running into people at Goodison Park. Either that or I could see him end up playing in Turkey or worse - Sunderland

This may sound strange to you, but semi-professional and fully professional footballers hold wrong and dumb opinions all the time.

• Advertisement

Would be hilarious if it turned out Mourinho wanted to move to United last summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

"In the end, Manchester United was lucky to get nil." - http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/10/sport/liverpool-manchester-united-europa-league/index.html?eref=edition What do CNN know about football? :rolleyes:

Written by James Masters from London who is a football writer....
    https://twitter.com/Masters_JamesD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

How come Mata was captain last night? I though Mikey Smalling was our 3rd captain? Has something changed. Not that it matters but I'm just curious.

Because he led by example in the previous game....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh_37peUZz0&feature=player_embedded

dead right what rio saying... players we sold are much better than players we currently have. Couldn't make it up

Except for hernandez i'm ok with the players who left.

The majority of the players who left i think needed to leave. darmian is better player then rafael. nani was complained about in this thread as much as memphis is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

sky88 wrote: »
    nani was complained about in this thread as much as memphis is now.

Yeah but the people doing the complaining were wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Jesus if we didn't have De Gea last night that would have been a serious hiding. Shocking performance.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Pro. F wrote: »
    Well that's quite a quick turn around from you. Last night you were adamant that the opinions of professional journalists "crush" any arguments they contradict.

This may sound strange to you, but semi-professional and fully professional footballers hold wrong and dumb opinions all the time.

aye, but Daniel Storey is still pretty good.
    and yeah, thats true but I wouldnt have asked for his opinion if I didnt think it was valid. Hes a smart lad and knows the game very well, hes no Jason McAteer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

and yeah, thats true but I wouldnt have asked for his opinion if I didnt think it was valid. Hes a smart lad and knows the game very well, hes no Jason McAteer

Smart people say dumb things all the time.

Smart people say dumb things all the time.

they certainly do.

Fùck me. I could not care less how much you rate the opinion of Storey and your football mate.

The one thing I will love if Jose comes will be his keeping and use of Fellaini and the winding up it will do the rivals and fans who dont think he looks like a footballer

• Advertisement

Fùck me. I could not care less how much you rate the opinion of Storey and your football mate.

thats super, but you are going to have to accept that there is a different narrative out there as regards that players performance and its not coming from nowhere or from people who don't know the game very well. You can not accept it and condemn people for it. You can also say the stats don't mean much but at the end of the day, regardless of how much support you get in here for your opinion, it is just that - an opinion, and the only thing that gives that any substance is the weight behind it and there is a lot more weight behind mine

thats super, but you are going to have to accept that there is a different narrative out there as regards that players performance and its not coming from nowhere or from people who don't know the game very well. You can not accept it and condemn people for it. You can also say the stats don't mean much but at the end of the day, regardless of how much support you get in here for your opinion, it is just that - an opinion, and the only thing that gives that any substance is the weight behind it and there is a lot more weight behind mine

Let's just leave it now, because we're going around in circles. Okay, bye.

an opinion, and the only thing that gives that any substance is the weight behind it and there is a lot more weight behind mine

By definition, opinions are not verifiable and thus don't carry any weight at all. So this statement is incorrect; not in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

What do you want them to say? Or is it that you want them to not say or write anything?

Don't promise me and then let me down !!!!!

Seriously, I know it makes little difference and it's all part of the game and their media obligations now but these guys need to start showing a bit of pride in what's paying their wages.

I like Mata, I don't think he's brilliant, too slow and inconsistent for me but he seems like a decent chap. I just don't think it bothers these guys anymore if they win trophies.

United got plenty of runarounds and spankings when Fergie was in charge, but they were one offs and the lack of application was quickly put right and the players were reminded of the standards they needed to maintain.

I don't pretend to know anything more about it than anyone else, I'm just a fan and I don't think those players are trying. I'm mentioning individuals but that's only because I might expect more of them than the others.

That apathy upsets me more than getting beaten. And if Robson, Bruce, Scholes, Keane, Neville, Schmeichel, Hughes or 50 other players you could mention were in that dressing room now, they wouldn't be letting it happen.

What I'd give for a quick start out of the blocks next week like Chico did v Chelsea a few years ago. Won't happen though. There's no energy in the team apart from when Herrera plays and Martial is on the left. Varela tries I suppose.

What I'd give for a quick start out of the blocks next week like Chico did v Chelsea a few years ago. Won't happen though. There's no energy in the team apart from when Herrera plays and Martial is on the left. Varela tries I suppose.

we could have scored after 15 seconds last night with the half chance rashford had. never say never

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

That Emre Can what a diver lads, I mean he was stamped on the foot and forearmed in the face but he went down like a drama queen. Can you get a ban for simulation after the match is over? Hopefully Uefa look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

That Emre Can what a diver lads, I mean he was stamped on the foot and forearmed in the face but he went down like a drama queen. Can you get a ban for simulation after the match is over? Hopefully Uefa look into it.

What exactly is the point of this post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

What exactly is the point of this post?

Trying to be clever? failing obviously.

• Advertisement

Rafa back in the premier league. FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Van Gaal lost the same amount of games as McClaren since the new year

It's amazing how this is happening at United, could you imagine this happening at Barca or Madrid? We are well on course to becoming Liverpool Mk II unless the next managerial appointment is a major success

The walley had just won the four of the last 15 Premier League games and United have won just the five of their last 15 and yet we still have this flat face idiot in charge,the way our club is run right now,if you don't laugh you'll cry.

Actually personal under... brings up a goodpoint the amount of diving Liverpool did last night was nuts. Count was booked, Henderson should prob have been off for his dive, Clyne got Fellaini booked even though there was no contact, hell even the peno he threw himself to the ground in the box. Its annoying when refs are falling for it and our players dont do ii or do it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Rafa back in the premier league. FACT

from Real Madrid to Newcastle, that's some drop :D

I am aware that he was rubbish at Real FACT ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Hi gang.

You can get Setanta free for a month if you do the following.

Go to www.Setanta.com/BOI and enter your details along with your sky viewing card number.

It's some promotion to do with Leinster rugby.

Its limited to the first 2500 people so get on it!

I'm after doing it and so did my dad.

from Real Madrid to Newcastle, that's some drop :D

I am aware that he was rubbish at Real FACT ;)

at least he will have support of the fans and a packed stadium every week, Newcastle has the potential to be a great club

"Real Madrid will go David de Gea again. There is already a buy-out clause in his contract at 30million. Real will go for him at that price, that’s for sure. People will question why there is a need to go for De Gea if Keylor Navas is playing so well. But De Gea will be Spain’s No 1 for the next decade, that’s the quality of ‘keeper they’ll be getting."

Balague..... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

"Real Madrid will go David de Gea again. There is already a buy-out clause in his contract at 30million. Real will go for him at that price, that’s for sure. People will question why there is a need to go for De Gea if Keylor Navas is playing so well. But De Gea will be Spain’s No 1 for the next decade, that’s the quality of ‘keeper they’ll be getting."

Balague..... :(

:rolleyes::eek::mad::( My though process. Wouldn't be surprised if he went though. I'm totally disillusioned with this season since the defeat last night

:rolleyes::eek::mad::( My though process. Wouldn't be surprised if he went though. I'm totally disillusioned with this season since the defeat last night

He's one of the best in his position in the world and he hasn't been within sight of a trophy in three years. It'd be really, really hard to blame him if he left.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

DiMarzio continues to be adamant Jose to United is 100% on.

https://twitter.com/DiMarzio/status/708281037399441408

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

After the dross season thus far and with RM on a rebuild it's very likely Dave will go.... once RM make their move. Can only imagine where we would have finished in the league last year and this year without him. Wish .. the Glazers. ... would put a plug in that ****ing plughole that we are being sucked into :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lord TSC wrote: »

Pity he couldnt save us this season

Our only hope is if De Gea is a massive fan of the next manager, otherwise he is gone. Who can blame him, he's wasted 3 years of his career here, he outgrew us once Fergie left.

Going to be a nightmare replacing him, our next manager is going to need at least a season to rebuild the hashed rebuilding job done by Woodward and Van Gaal. If you count De Gea going I think we'll need 5 starting 11 players, along with 2 or 3 filler players of a higher standard than what we have now. A GK, CB, a CM and two attacking players to go straight into the starting XI.

Darmian, Smalling, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Mata (depending on the manager) and Martial are the only players I think will start next season out of what we'll likely have.

If it was FF I'd add Lloris, Aubameyang, Ibra, Pogba and Varane to those above but other than an outside chance of Ibra none of those players will touch us with a ten foot pole and all of them will have CL football at the clubs they are playing for. I don't think people realise how massive the job to get us back into title contention will be, especially when you see anyone other than Mourinho's name being put forward to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »

While all through the English press swaying back and forward will he won't he, DIMarzio has been steadfast in his assertion that Mourinho is going to United.. he is putting his reputation on the line with it too.. he doesn't have a fall back to say "well I only said he might" he has been adamant that Jose will be Uniteds new manager. This makes me happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If / when DDG leaves it will likely be for Real so we should insist on Navas coming the other way.

I find it hard to believe his buyout clause is only £30 million though, we were going to get in the region of £20 million with only one year left on his contract so the logic that we would give him a 4 or 5 year deal and be prepared to let him go for just £10m more just does not stack up.

Give us £30 m plus Navas then we will talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I went out last night and got well and truly hammered, I realize my mistake was probably not drinking during the game but I don't think there would have been enough alcohol in the whole bar to numb the pain of that performance last night. When I woke up this morning with a dirty kicking hangover for a moment I thought perhaps that was a dream last night. A bit like when you think for a moment its Sunday but it's in fact Monday and you DO have to get up and go to work...

I lay the blame of everything last night at the door of LVG, all be it Liverpool played well and deserve their win and the credit. LVG picked the wrong team, made the wrong subs, set up tactically to suit Liverpool. If Jose is in in the summer we still need LVG gone now.... if Giggs doesn't fancy the caretaker job until the summer... there is the door buddy.. plenty of other candidates who would be interested. We need change.. ok we cannot change the players right now but we can change what we do with them, we need a boost and quickly.

Running the risk of much ridicule with a throw away comment but Navas doesn't strike me as much of a Mourhino goalkeeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'd have loved Buffon at United but I'd imagine he will see out his career at Juve.

Navas is very good but De Gea is a class above. Don't see why we would want to downgrade a 9/10 keeper or whatever for a 8/10 keeper no matter even if Madrid throw a load of cash our way with Navas. Doesn't seem right for a club of our stature to do that. As for De Gea maybe by appointing Mourinho and LVG leaving he would be enticed to stay. Maybe there is a gentleman's agreement in place that he is already on his way to Madrid this summer who knows..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If / when DDG leaves it will likely be for Real so we should insist on Navas coming the other way.

I find it hard to believe his buyout clause is only £30 million though, we were going to get in the region of £20 million with only one year left on his contract so the logic that we would give him a 4 or 5 year deal and be prepared to let him go for just £10m more just does not stack up.

Could simply have been a case of De Gea saying "I am going next year, one way or the other. So you can give me a new contract and get 30m for me, or I can walk on a free". That wouldn't shock me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Liverpool did the same for Suarez. There will be an iron clad release clause there for £30m as he would of walked for nothing next season....it makes perfect sense.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement