Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Time will tell I guess.

I'm not holding out much hope of retaining him either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Time will tell I guess.

I'm not holding out much hope of retaining him either way.

If jose does take over in the summer I can see him staying. I think the top players would still want to play for mourinho but if lvg or giggs take over id say he is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    Its a measure of how far things have fallen when the arguements are about whether players were useless or just plain bad.

Apart from DeGea everyone else was well below their best last night. Its irrelevant if Fellaini was better in the second half than the first, you cannot play a guy in midfield who loses the ball as often as he does. Fair enough if some think he has a role as a target man (I don't, worst header of the ball I've ever seen for his height), but VanGal doesn't play him in that position anymore and he never really got into the box to compete for crosses last night. And his lack of discipline is shocking for a professional. And all that is nothing new for him.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Fellaini and his worth elsewhere on the pitch, it has to be accepted by anyone with even a basic view on professional soccer, that he is simply not good enough to play as a central midfielder at any level. The problem is the manager who insists on playing him there.

Mata going missing in important games is nothing new, Carrick hiding is nothing new, Memphis being worse than very ordinary is nothing new. It happens all the time, I don't expect any different.

I've watched Utd for 30 years and they have been good and bad in that time. Everyone takes the wins with the losses and the absolute domination under Fergie is gone forever, I can accept that. I can also accept that some signings which look good initially don't work out - Schneiderlin etc.

But I can't excuse a team that simply doesn't try or a manager who wont change something that's clearly not working.

I'm sure Mata will write on his blog today about how disappointed they are and they must do better - I'm sick of the excuses mate.
    Excellent post. As bad as things were in the 80's we always had a go.
    Totally agree about Fellani. A poor mans Remi Moses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

L'Equipe saying United are "considering" a move for Ibra, whatever that means. Saying it would, obviously, be another sign of Jose incoming; there's beef between LVG and Ibra, afaik.

Also on the topic of Jose, reading reports that before the BT Sports interview yesterday, the interviewer was told he wasn't allowed to ask any questions about the United job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

zerks wrote: »

I dont want him to go anywhere. Once Jose takes charge, I reckon he will a very important player for utd

Lord TSC wrote: »
    L'Equipe saying United are "considering" a move for Ibra, whatever that means. Saying it would, obviously, be another sign of Jose incoming; there's beef between LVG and Ibra, afaik.

Also on the topic of Jose, reading reports that before the BT Sports interview yesterday, the interviewer was told he wasn't allowed to ask any questions about the United job.

article-3488342-320FF39900000578-593_308x279.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

zerks wrote: »
    article-3488342-320FF39900000578-593_308x279.jpg
    Lovely picture .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Ibra has already said in the past he would work with Van Gaal again, no problem, both are professionals.

Not much to read into either way tbh.

I would have loved Ibra at the club, absolutely loved it, but the time for that is gone I feel. Probably still get ridiculously excited if it did happen, but expect to be underwhelmed.
    Can't read in to the BT sports thing either, though the longer it goes without Jose being announced as the next manager somewhere the more likely it is he will be our next manager I guess!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah Ibra really doesn't seem like the type of guy united should be going for at this stage. Should be signing someone approaching their peak, not 35 year olds - unless you're signing both (in which case those are some massive wages for a backup option).

• Advertisement

On mobile so can't link, but LVGs comments tonight look like a pyromaniac adding fuel to the fire. Particularly the "You cannot look at what we are doing and say it isn't working" line....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

On mobile so can't link, but LVGs comments tonight look like a pyromaniac adding fuel to the fire. Particularly the "You cannot look at what we are doing and say it isn't working" line....

Oh Jesus. #PrayForUs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

"You cannot look at what we are doing and say it isn't working" line....

Did he really say that?

Exact quote.

LVG on his methods & MUFC progress: "When you analyse what we have done this season and last season then you cannot say it is not working"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Strumms wrote: »
    I'd have loved Buffon at United but I'd imagine he will see out his career at Juve.

Navas is very good but De Gea is a class above. Don't see why we would want to downgrade a 9/10 keeper or whatever for a 8/10 keeper no matter even if Madrid throw a load of cash our way with Navas. Doesn't seem right for a club of our stature to do that. As for De Gea maybe by appointing Mourinho and LVG leaving he would be enticed to stay. Maybe there is a gentleman's agreement in place that he is already on his way to Madrid this summer who knows..

Buffon is 38 you crazy man, he will be 39 next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Strumms wrote: »
    I'd have loved Buffon at United but I'd imagine he will see out his career at Juve.

Navas is very good but De Gea is a class above. Don't see why we would want to downgrade a 9/10 keeper or whatever for a 8/10 keeper no matter even if Madrid throw a load of cash our way with Navas. Doesn't seem right for a club of our stature to do that. As for De Gea maybe by appointing Mourinho and LVG leaving he would be enticed to stay. Maybe there is a gentleman's agreement in place that he is already on his way to Madrid this summer who knows..

Pretty safe to say that was a major part of De Gea signing a new contract last summer. Been roundly reported that there's a 30m release clause so he can move to Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Pretty safe to say that was a major part of De Gea signing a new contract last summer. Been roundly reported that there's a 30m release clause so he can move to Madrid.

Yep for sure, De Gea had all the power at the contract negotiations, he could have just played out the season and left on a free in the summer. He was probably been "sound" letting Man U get 30m in the summer instead

Not really, he could have just rotted on the bench for the year, wasted a year of his career and missed out on going to the Euros.

He was left in a bit of limbo by not getting the move, and he was not playing until he signed a new deal. I can't say for sure that he doesn't have a clause to get out for 30million, or whatever, but I wouldn't take it as fact right now that he does either.

Not long to go now till the summer really, we will know one way or another then,couldn't blame him for moving on either if he did go. :(

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Exact quote.

LVG on his methods & MUFC progress: "When you analyse what we have done this season and last season then you cannot say it is not working"

As usual with these things Ill wait to see the full comment, and context, but it doesn't look great!

• Advertisement

Yep for sure, De Gea had all the power at the contract negotiations, he could have just played out the season and left on a free in the summer. He was probably been "sound" letting Man U get 30m in the summer instead

Or he gets a really bad injury and he is out mega bucks

“We are in three different competitions, and at this stage of the season a lot of other teams and managers cannot say that,” he argued. “We still have the chance to win something.” http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/11/luis-van-gaal-three-year-manchester-united-plan

https://twitter.com/hirstclass/status/708422769692844032

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He has lost his marbles, I'm at a loss for words. How can he be so out of touch with reality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,379 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

We are in three competitions? One of them is the league - so he is taking credit for United simply not going out of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,379 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Have to wonder what the PR team, Woodward and the Glazers make of such comments. Is he making them with their blessing, or are they sitting there cringing at this rubbish too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Can't wait till LVG ****s off....I'd say Enda Kenny would do more with this squad.. Such a bull****ter this guy is. Every win is down to him and lose is down to some ****ty excuse.

• Advertisement

Pity he won't do a Karanka on it.He walked out of a team meeting at 'Boro this evening saying he didn't want to manage the team anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Karanky bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Mourinho is our manager next season. 99.9% sure. Even the inter Milan Vice President who was just after talking to him said he is very happy as he is going to Manchester next season. Worst kept secret in football

bangkok wrote: »
    Mourinho is our manager next season. 99.9% sure. Even the inter Milan Vice President who was just after talking to him said he is very happy as he is going to Manchester next season. Worst kept secret in football

When something was so highly public at the time and all over the media, how in the name of God could you get it wrong?

With what's going on at the club at the moment, this phrase just keeps playing over in my head...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

this season is an absolute write off.... im just looking forward to the special one now for the summer. wonder what deals he is working on the QT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Not really, he could have just rotted on the bench for the year, wasted a year of his career and missed out on going to the Euros.

:(

no
    That suits nobody so wasn't going to happen

Lads while I admire the optimism, there is nothing guaranteed in football.

Jose himself nor the club have come out to confirm anything so ye are setting yourselves up for massive disappointment.

Until I see him in OT, shaking hands with Woodward, after signing a contract, I refuse to believe it.

It just makes too much sense for the club, we have been run like Harchester United for the last 3 years.

I have an awful feeling we are going to get lumbered with Giggs.

:(

Lads while I admire the optimism, there is nothing guaranteed in football.

Nope-GIF.gif?gs=a

Jose is coming. 100% sure of it. Ain't nothing going to convince me otherwise.

If we get stuck with Giggs, then I'll probably just stop posting, for fear of nuking my account...

Nope-GIF.gif?gs=a

If we get stuck with Giggs, then I'll probably just stop posting, for fear of nuking my account...

Hah, you could be the first soccer mod to get banned from the forum while modding it!

:pac:

Maybe I'm being a negative Nancy but after the disappointments of the last 3 years I'm working on the worst case scenario when it comes to the club.

Hah, you could be the first soccer mod to get banned from the forum while modding it!

:pac:

Maybe I'm being a negative Nancy but after the disappointments of the last 3 years I'm working on the worst case scenario when it comes to the club.

Understandable.

I think....I know I'm pretty far on the "**** LVG" train, but I try to be positive more often than not in life. And I just can't let myself get dragged down in the idea that we'd **** up another year (or more) by going down the Giggs route. If I thought that way, then I don't know where I'd get enjoyment out of United for quite a while, and I watch football to enjoy it.

And I know I'd enjoy Jose, and the antics that come with him, and the signings. I know Jose would make us fun again. So I have to believe thats the way we're going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Speaking of enjoying football, I have to say despite my dislike of Liverpool, I couldn't help admire the other night the atmosphere at the start of the game with the scarves and flags and singing. It came across as an electric atmosphere.
    I wasn't overly excited about the game at all with Utds current form, but found myself drawn in and excited about the game to come based on that atmosphere.

It's something we see rarely in the English game now and reminded me on games on the continent and the spectacle that can be created by the fans.

So despite my dislike for everything that it's Liverpool FC, hats off to them for that atmosphere they created Thursday night. It was a joy to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I wouldn't want him at Utd but Benitez is an excellent appointment for Newcastle. Just highlights the lack of ambition at Utd that we're sticking with LVG while even teams at the the wrong end of the table are appointing better managers that ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

adox wrote: »
    Speaking of enjoying football, I have to say despite my dislike of Liverpool, I couldn't help admire the other night the atmosphere at the start of the game with the scarves and flags and singing. It came across as an electric atmosphere.
    I wasn't overly excited about the game at all with Utds current form, but found myself drawn in and excited about the game to come based on that atmosphere.

It's something we see rarely in the English game now and reminded me on games n the continent and the spectacle that can be created by the fans.

So despite my dislike for everything that it's Liverpool FC, hats off to them for that atmosphere they created Thursday night. It was a joy to see.

It would have been the same at OT for this fixture, probably won't be now unless we manage go get off to a good early start. The atmosphere at Anfield comes across as being fairly awful most games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Been to Anfield 4 times and honestly it's not that good.

Spurs, Everton, Aston Villa and Stoke are best away trips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,662 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Korat wrote: »
    I wouldn't want him at Utd but Benitez is an excellent appointment for Newcastle. Just highlights the lack of ambition at Utd that we're sticking with LVG while even teams at the the wrong end of the table are appointing better managers that ours.
    I hate to say it but just flicked through lvgs wiki stats , while player dissent and clear outs are the norm for him he seems to eventually work out when he instills everything to his liking . Harmony is not his forte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Its shocking for early kickoffs. European nights can be special though. The rafa days and the Champions League nights were amazing.

no
    That suits nobody so wasn't going to happen

It is enough to show that he did not have all the power in the contract negotiations, he was not in the team and when it fell through at Madrid he was in limbo. I remember it very well, signing a new deal was as much in his interests as the clubs and both parties had a degree of power in the negotiations.

He did not have the club over a barrel, nor did the club have him over a barrel, both were reported when his move fell through, neither were correct though. It was a fairly standard negotiation with both sides having much to gain and much to lose in them.

A clause may have been inserted, it may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Darren Fletcher interviewed on soccer am this morning, was asked where he keeps all his winners medals. He said they're kept in a plastic bag in his kids room as the kids like to play with them pretending they've won a champions league or a premier league :)

What a humble man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Agree with White Hart Lane, it's a fantastic place to go; the atmosphere is incredible. Haven't been to the others yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Buffon is 38 you crazy man, he will be 39 next year

That's why I said if you indeed read my post properly that id have loved to see him at United (past tense) and that he would most likely see out what's left of his career at Juve, jeez. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Korat wrote: »

Benitez is not a better manager than LVG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Liam O wrote: »

I'd call Benitez a better manager tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Liam O wrote: »

:D

You must really hate Benitez.

• Advertisement

Nope-GIF.gif?gs=a

I bagsy your Mod status if it happens that how it works ya?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement