Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

When Ed Woodward had the recent meeting with the shareholders I think that he revealed why he is keeping faith with LVG (until the summer at least).
    “Giving youth a chance is part of our DNA,” he added. “Brian McClair’s departure gave us an opportunity to conduct a root-and-branch review. That is completed and announcements will follow in the coming days. Our key competitive advantages are still very strong. We have an unmatched track record of player development compared to any other team in England and the runway to our first team is very different to some of our competitors.”

The Guardian - Ed Woodward escapes grilling from Manchester United investors

I think that because LVG has given so many youth players a start this season, and his philosophy and experience with regard to youth development is part of this "root-and-branch review" that Woodie is keen for him to stay for the sake of the potential long-term gain of having a youth system that can allow for on field success with the likes of the class of '92, or potential for huge sell-on-fees.

I think that his failure to get into the CL will be his downfall in the summer. Especially now that City having taken on Guardiola and Mourinho being available. The club cannot afford to be out of CL two seasons in a row, and the attraction of Guardiola for top players, e.g. Pogba, and that may overshadow his confidence that United can attract the biggest names, such as Neymar, because United can take them to the next level with regard to personal endorsements and name recognition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

patmac wrote: »
    I wonder how many United 'fans' are hoping we lose tonight, so as to say bye, bye Van Gaal.

I know at this stage most fans want LvG gone but I wouldn't want us to get knocked out of any competition for it to happen. Especially as it's the last slim hope we have of a trophy.

Even if we lose, doubt LvG would go. anybody who wants us to lose tonight would want to have a word with themselves IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I think that because LVG has given so many youth players a start this season, and his philosophy and experience with regard to youth development is part of this "root-and-branch review" that Woodie is keen for him to stay for the sake of the potential long-term gain of having a youth system that can allow for on field success with the likes of the class of '92, or potential for huge sell-on-fees.

Certainly sounds a lot more plausible than the Game of Thrones meets Coronation Street script that was making the rounds this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I wonder how many United 'fans' are hoping we lose tonight, so as to say bye, bye Van Gaal.

Was talking to one earlier. See his point 100% but as I said to him - even if we lose tonight VG won't lose his job. This cup is winnable for us this season if we can get our act together for 3 more games after tonight......however totally expect us to be beaten by WH in the quarters in a replay.

Now if only Ed had moved weeks ago........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

TheDoc wrote: »
    Damn thats a tough one. Considering we will have a new manager most likely, potentially different system, a lot of unknowns.

In regards what I'd think realistic and a certain aspect of what I'd like.

Romelu Lukaku
    Improved rapidly this season in terms of playing as a lone striker, the flavour of most systems at present. I'd imagine would easily operate as part of a two. Big, strong, quick, decent finisher, good stats, good injury record. If it's Mourinho might be some issues, anyone else be mad to not consider him. A nice varient to Martial, and imo undoubtedly better and more talented then Benteke.

Toni Kroos
    My feelings on him are well known at this point. But undying love aside, operates expertly as part of a deep lying two in a 4-2-3-1 or as a playmaker in a midfield three. Appears to be getting some grief in Madrid, and doesn't appear impressed at the volatile nature of Madrid. Madrid might look to offload or he might look for a fresh challenge.

Gotze
    Another stop start season for the once labelled "German Messi". I'm still a big fan of his, and at 23 still has his best years ahead of him. Quick, incisive and creative, he would inject much needed pace and creativity into a flagging attack. Can operate as a .10 or from the left.

In terms of backups, that's tricky. How do you convince a player to join to play second fiddle? I don't know how to even go about identifying a backup player, that isn't just "i like him, I want him in the squad so hes not elsewhere". Maybe in terms of young players stepping in:

Donald Love
    Liked what I've seen of him for the under 21's and very much like to see how he gets on in the first team. Seems to have a great engine and a good instinct when moving forward.

Andreas Pereira
    I think he should be very much ahead in the pecking order of Januzaj. Good exploits at international level, doing really well for the under 21's and looks to have exciting potential. I'm surprised Van Gaal hasn't called on him more to play on the right. We won't know until he gets a fair crack of the whip, and not just random 15-20 minute appearances here and there.

I think Kroos would be my balls to the wall singing. Carrick needs replacing, and Kroos provides that level of vision and range of passing, if not better. Playing alongside an energetic Schneiderlan, or Blind back in midfield(btw my best two DM's would be Blind and Schneiderlan) would in my mind, be a pretty good combination

Kroos and Gotze could be United's Xavi and Iniesta if they were given the chance. Would be a lot more willing to drop 50m on them than some of the flavour of the month type signings that are being bandied around.

I like Kane a lot more than Lukaku. His style is a lot better to watch and would bring some real desire back. I'd regard Lukaku as a fair weather player, looks great when everyone is firing but not going to grab a game by the scruff of the neck. Barkley is the one of the Everton trio I'd take first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Liam O wrote: »
    Kroos and Gotze could be United's Xavi and Iniesta if they were given the chance. Would be a lot more willing to drop 50m on them than some of the flavour of the month type signings that are being bandied around.

I like Kane a lot more than Lukaku. His style is a lot better to watch and would bring some real desire back. I'd regard Lukaku as a fair weather player, looks great when everyone is firing but not going to grab a game by the scruff of the neck. Barkley is the one of the Everton trio I'd take first.

Kroos is overrated and hasnt set the world alight at madrid. id much rather modric then him.

id agree about kane all round i think he edges it on Lukaku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

Does anyone think that the players already kow that Jose will be the next manager hence the reason Mata played so badly the last day i.e he knows he will not be here next season and his mind is elsewhere ( i know its not very professional but if this is true it could be a reason why not only him is playing so badly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

There is ZERO chance Terry will play for United. It won't happen. United won't go for him and neither will Jose.

Jose dumped him out of the chelsea side towards the end - he wouldn't be adding him to a United backline and Terry can make a lot more money going somewhere else for a couple of years.

It just isn't going to happen. No way.

Was anyone being serious when they said that? Lol if so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Why the inverted commas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

adox wrote: »
    Why the inverted commas?

Because they're not real fans if they want the team to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheDoc wrote: »
    Always worth remembing the wages these guys are on. All the Neymar furor is coming from his current £150k packet, that he and his people feel should be improved, and with good reasoning.

Bale is on something like 250k. Muller was on £150k, dont know if thats after his latest contract or before.

Point being, we can match or improve these earnings easily. Di Maria got himself a massive increase, coming to a club he didn't even want to sign for. So while the current prestige and chances of success at the club are low, the spending power by the club is still pretty significant.

Like Rooney's deal still perplexes me. He is frequently reference to being the 5th highest paid player in world football. But then I keep reading and hearing about some part of his deal where United had to buy his image rights, which means some mad **** of like him gettnig the guts of nearly 500k a week?!?!?

I know what you mean by paying big fees might be not possible, but if they can structure a payment that goes over a few years, I'm not sure there is a big problem. And I'd imagine we can offer 250k+ to atleast two signings this summer. And if Rooney goes, maybe more?

Musn't forget with the departure of Di Maria, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Falcao and Van Persie we freed up a pretty significant chunk of our wage bill, that I don't believe has been absorbed by the new signings.

On the Rooney deal - it is apparently 250k per week, with the other 50k being the assumed value of the sponsorship deals and marketing value he personally gains via the United commercial department. United aren't paying that - sponsors of Rooney are.

Before this contract, Rooney and his own team would have done their own commercial work. Following the deal, the United commercial department will also negotiate and push for deals personal to Rooney - and the 'increase' in his reported wages are down to the value placed on that.

It is also argued by the club that the United brand and recognition is worth loads to players. They point to the increase in social media followers of each player they sign - and this is then used by players to negotiate more valuable personal sponsorship deals. This can be worth a lot to players.

Basically, beyond the standard contract (wages and bonuses etc) that all clubs would offer - United believe there is a lot more money a player can earn by being a United player as opposed to somewhere else, without United having to foot that part of the bill.

It is the one chance I believe United have with Neymar, it is reportedly part of the talks we are (reported) to be having with that dortmund striker whose name I'l not learn to spell unless we sign him - and it was reported to be part of the talks we had we Schweinsteiger last summer and Di Maria the year before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jayop wrote: »

Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Sadly I'm just indifferent to the results these days. I've long since given up on LVG and no win or loss from his players will convince me he's up for it or he can motivate his players to turn this around. There was a time when I looked at a match like this as a game where we could smash in a big score but I'm actually thinking that it's going to be a difficult game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Martial is going to be run raw by the end of the season :/

Shows the pressure that he wouldn't even rest one of our front four in favour of Perriera or Keane, in spite of the ability gap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pereira needs to leave United - shame he didn't get a decent loan in January. If he can't even get a start tonight he has no hope of a chance under LVG.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Pereira needs to leave United - shame he didn't get a decent loan in January. If he can't even get a start tonight he has no hope of a chance under LVG.

Its pissing me off big time.

Give Mata a rest and play him ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Feel very sorry for him. Been the form player for u21 when playing for them and just hasn't been given a go. Last Thursday and tonight were ideal games for him to start over mata or lingard who have been average at best lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Martial well on course to playing 50 games in his first season at the club, unless we get knocked out tonight and/or Thursday of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Its such a shame that there is no real arguement against this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

At least Varela is back to solve the RB problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Lord TSC wrote: »

Shows the pressure that he wouldn't even rest one of our front four in favour of Perriera or Keane, in spite of the ability gap...

I was only going to say this myself. It wouldn't surprise me if he's the next one to be hit with an injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Lord TSC wrote: »

I saw somewhere on twitter that he is the most used forward/attacking player under 21 years of age in the top 5 leagues in Europe!

Crazy but then again we have no options!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

astradave wrote: »
    At least Varela is back to solve the RB problem

Good to see. I didn't realise Juan Mata Donald Love was cup tied as he played for Wigan in earlier round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

IMO Pereira will never get a real shot under LVG because he is too much of a risk taker. His playing style means he will lose possession more often and LVG believes he has enough "risk takers" in Lingard, Martial and to a lesser extent, Herrera.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Surely should win easy, but even with a win it won't please anyone as it is expected. Defeat and then LVG can hardly continue on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I was only going to say this myself. It wouldn't surprise me if he's the next one to be hit with an injury.

Saw somewhere earlier that he has played the most games for u21 attackers in Europe. Football365 I think.

I'd be a bit concerned he is playing too much, he's a shoe in to make the French squad for the Euros, short break in between that and preseason then straight back into a heavy schedule.

Has he been dropped/rested for any game that he has been available for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Jayop wrote: »

That's bull. If it's for the long term good then it's perfectly fine. I still hope we win tonight but if a loss was LVG definitely gone, I'd be delighted with a loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

United are so very poor at keeping the ball under any kind of pressure for a team that has been practicing possession football for almost two years now

Van Gaal hasn't really done any improvement at the club in terms of the playing style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's awful right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

It's awful right?

Of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

It's pretty bad. They're defending on the 18 yard line and we look void if any ideas to break them down.

Well even my pessimism won't hide fact that should be that. Roll on Hammers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    That's bull. If it's for the long term good then it's perfectly fine. I still hope we win tonight but if a loss was LVG definitely gone, I'd be delighted with a loss.

I was just answering the question, not giving my own opinion although I do feel that a true fan should never want us to lose a game, especially in a knock out cup format. Even if we did lose there's no guarantee that LVG gets the sack.

Well even my pessimism won't hide fact that should be that. Roll on Hammers

Envoking the inte3net mocke3 demons.......

You not a 3eal fan :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Our new free kick routine will fire us to Europa League and FA Cup glory.

Unbelievably!!

• :)

I miss this feeling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

We're gonna win the double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lingard's celebration is up there with Sturridge's in terms of twattishness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

J. Marston wrote: »

For the life of me I can't figure out what he is doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Tis called dabbing. Look it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

For the life of me I can't figure out what he is doing

google 'dab' some new fad loads of sportspeople are doing atm dybala and few nil players(cam newton)

I actually think its way wo3se

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

markc91 wrote: »
    google 'dab' some new fad loads of sportspeople are doing atm dybala and few nil players(cam newton)

It took over the NFL TD celebrations this year, I'm fed up of it :P I hope it doesnt catch on in the Premier League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

My heart goes out to W. Keane. Just so unlucky :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Surely Shrewsbury is the worst team we have played this season? Have they even registered an attempt on goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Memphis Depay is a seriously poor player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

sigmundv wrote: »
    Surely Shrewsbury is the worst team we have played this season? Have they even registered an attempt on goal?

yup they are but we aren't that spectacular either

• Memphis Depay is a seriously poor player.

Is it just me or does he looks so disinterested?

One sentance in his head

It's "meh I couldn't be arsed"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement