Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Scholes thinks De Gea should have saved the free?

**** off!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

One thing I do love about Owen commentating on our games is how he sounds like he has PTSD when talking about Chris Smalling in one on ones. Must have had lumps taken out of him in training.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I mean...I was expecting a loss, so a draw is better than I was expecting.

Herrera and Fellaini were very poor. Varela got caught out of position a few times. Lingard was non-existant. It was another poor performance, but West Ham never looked threatening.

We really could have done without another hard match given our current run of gamesa head....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Lord TSC wrote: »

Herrera and Fellaini were very poor. Varela got caught out of position a few times. Lingard was non-existant. It was another poor performance, but West Ham never looked threatening.

We really could have done without another hard match given our current run of gamesa head....

Yeah I thought Herrerra and Fellaini were poor enough. Lingard disappeared in the second half. Thought Rashford deserved to stay on. Basti looked good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

draw means we have another 90 minutes of torture added to this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Really can't wait until this season is over and he is gone. Whether we end up 4th or 7th, however we do in the cup/Europe. I just don't care as long as he is gone.

Our team just look constantly slow and impotent. The LVG philosophy has been a huge failure this season when we really should have kicked on and improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Quandary wrote: »
    Really can't wait until this season is over and he is gone. Whether we end up 4th or 7th, however we do in the cup/Europe. I just don't care as long as he is gone.

Our team just look constantly slow and impotent. The LVG philosophy has been a huge failure this season when we really should have kicked on and improved.

+1

In all my time watching United Ive never felt as indifferent to them as I do now.

The only consistent shining lights this year have been DDG (we knew he was brilliant anyway) and Martial.

DDG will probably leave in the summer barring a miracle so that leaves us with one potential world class player.

How long has it been since we have been in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Arsenal are out, Watford, Everton or Palace stand in the way of the best chance in years of winning the FA Cup and with it a back door into Europe. As much as I hate that way in. ;)

Beating West Ham at home is a task and a half on any given day but we can do it, would love to get a semifinal ticket if we do, have never been to Wembley myself.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Quandary wrote: »

yeah I think the top 4 is done at this point - Leicester, Spurs, Arsenal, City. its more hope than anything for liverpool, west ham, utd to break in there. never know though.
    But yeah, this season has been awful for utd and its the one they were meant to kick off on. Selling Di Maria was a huge mistake as even if he didn't make that much of a difference to this season, I think whoever comes in to take over would absolutely love seeing his name on the squad. Bizarre tbh, bad business all round. A lot of nothing players in the squad too and a lot of money spent. It seems the past 3 summers have become more and more important for utd and this summer will be no different. 5/6 starters need to be added and trying to get de gea to stay will be a massive statement on intent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lord TSC wrote: »

Thought Varela did well.

It's beyond joke that Fellaini stayed so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

And I thought the Nascar tonight would be the boring thing that I watch today.

We are so dodgy in defence that is is very hard to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Giggsy11 wrote: »

As usual. But he will be classed as one of our best players again by some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

adox wrote: »

**** off!!

I don't think he should have saved it but I did think he was slow on the first three or so steps across.

Robson99 wrote: »
    As usual. But he will be classed as one of our best players again by some

Or maybe people will call it when they think he's playing well?

No one has said he was one of our best players today, the only comments I can see was that he was poor.

You sound like you are looking to stoke it up again about him when there isn't anything there.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I didnt get to see much of the second half (or the match in general really) was he good or bad today? Pro F ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I don't think he should have saved it but I did think he was slow on the first three or so steps across.

This for me as well. Was quite slow to move his feet and if he does I think he pushes it onto/beyond the post

**** off!!

Here's the thing...I think 99% of keepers conceed that goal. But De Gea is usually so much of a wall, capable of pulling off amazing saves, some will criticise him when he doesn't manage it.

If De Gea had gotten a hand to that free kick, it would have been an absolutely ungodly save, and quiet normal for him :P

That, though, is why I really can't stand Scholes as a pundit. He seems, far too often, to take the most extreme, controversial view possible to generate headlines...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

You sound like you are looking to stoke it up again about him when there isn't anything there.

Nah not trying to stoke anything.
    Just dont get all the man love here for a rubbish player who will never get more than a 6/10 in any game and who cannot pass a ball to save his life

Just dont get all the man love here for a rubbish player who will never get more than a 6/10 in any game and who cannot pass a ball to save his life

But sure you said you will still get people saying he was great today, which just wasn't happening and is just being dismissive of people's opinion that differs from yours.

If people think he(or any other player) played well in a particular game then I'd hope they are honest enough to say so, no matter what their overall opinion of any particular player.

You sound like you want to shout down people that have a differing opinion than you do on a player or performance with your previous post.

Also it just isn't true that he can't pass a ball to save his life. He's no world beater but that just more of the over the top and incorrect narrative to beat him with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

**** me, fellaini was awful today. Hiding so he wouldn't have to receive the ball. Laughable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

You are actually fine up until you get to rubbish player, that part is grand too actually its simply your opinion which is fine.

To say he will never get more then 6/10 in any game when he has already had games in a United jersey that you would have to class as being better then 6/10 performances is obviously over the top and incorrect.

To say he can't pass a ball is also wrong, obviously.

I don't think anybody here did say he was one of our best performers today did they, which is what you were preemptively arguing against also.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

bangkok wrote: »
    **** me, fellaini was awful today. Hiding so he wouldn't have to receive the ball. Laughable

Ah come on, who is gonna take you seriously when you talk about Fellaini?

Its kind of like Scholes as a pundit, he negates any good point he makes rendering him pretty irrelevant.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

**** off!!

He was too stacked on his left for a free taken from that distance. My take when I saw it. I was a bit disappointed. Nit picky, but hes a world class goalkeeper, and clearly should be well briefed on Payet during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I missed first half due to watching Hibs blow league cup ( I'm going be upset for the week) but from watching 2nd half I did not think it was a awful display. I felt we just lack lot of confidence and few poor decision making. But we have played much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I missed first half due to watching Hibs blow league cup ( I'm going be upset for the week) but from watching 2nd half I did not think it was a awful display. I felt we just lack lot of confidence and few poor decision making. But we have played much worse.

A lot of our attacking play came from wide areas,the problem was our 2 main attackers were coming from wide positions with nobody running beyond them from midfield,nothing new there so as a result we lacked options going forward in central areas.Carrick went missing for about an hour and re-appeared with 15 minutes to go.
    Schweinsteiger is our only real leader on the field,it showed when he came on.Pointing,shouting and cajoling players,the rest of our team is just too timid.

TheDoc wrote: »
    He was too stacked on his left for a free taken from that distance. My take when I saw it. I was a bit disappointed. Nit picky, but hes a world class goalkeeper, and clearly should be well briefed on Payet during the week.

I don't think any keeper in the world would have saved it unless they gambled and I always want my keeper covering his side first and foremost and not drifting behind the wall.

Second half was better than the first, and we played with more urgency when we went behind.

First half was the usual ****; misplaced passes, lack of movement, passing the ball into oblivion.

Lol at all those who left early again and missed Martial scoring.

zerks wrote: »
    Lol at all those who left early again and missed Martial scoring.

My mother missed 30 seconds of the game. She was fuming when she heard me cheer :P

• Advertisement

Ah come on, who is gonna take you seriously when you talk about Fellaini?

Its kind of like Scholes as a pundit, he negates any good point he makes rendering him pretty irrelevant.

Bastian did more in 10min than he did in 70 min. Was he jeered by the crowd when he went off?

Thought Varela did well.

I don't think I have ever seen a United player get in so many bad positions where he couldn't receive the ball. Shocking

Tbh I was very annoyed hearing jeers when he went off.

I say something if Fellaini was not trying or acting the prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

When is the replay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

dubmick wrote: »
    When is the replay?

The same day we're due to play West Ham in the league.

I don't think any keeper in the world would have saved it unless they gambled and I always want my keeper covering his side first and foremost and not drifting behind the wall.

You don't stack to a side, on a 25-30 yard free kick. More central as he should, and he would have made it. He was only a few inches of as is.

Its a big nit pick, just understand where Scholes was coming from, felt the same.

Separate point, jeering Fellaini, was pretty sad to hear form our fans. He was given the opportunity to play for United, which most players wouldn't turn down. He tries, it hasn't worked out for him, but to jeer him is pretty disheartening to hear.

Leave that **** to the self centered Madrid fans. We should be supporting our players.

• Advertisement

The same day we're due to play West Ham in the league.

perfect! Now we can play a 2 in 1 game where winner gets 3 points and semi final and we have 1 less game to watch us this season ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

perfect! Now we can play a 2 in 1 game where winner gets 3 points and semi final and we have 1 less game to watch us this season ;)

Ya,do the old doubling up the game trick that happens in the GAA :D

LVG post match:
    Relieved to be in the draw?
    I was very happy because, when you see the spirit of my team, it's unbelievable. When you lose a game against Liverpool, it's very deep in the club and all the players know that, and then you have to play within a few days against West Ham. They're a very good team and have fully prepared for this game for one week. We have to recover within two days and then are 1-0 behind so then, coming back like that, it's fantastic. I'm very happy for my players. I think also the fans have enjoyed this game and I think that's important.

View of the equaliser and Dimitri Payet's penalty shout
    I have seen the video, of course, and I think Schweinsteiger gets a push from a defender so he did not do it deliberately [impede goalkeeper Darren Randolph]. Payet was, more or less, diving. Of course, he was maybe touched but not to fall like that. There is always discussion about the decisions of the referee. You can also say that about the game against Liverpool. I cannot say anything. I think the referee has to decide within seconds. I said that after the game against Liverpool and now it's the same.

Schweinsteiger influence
    I think he did fantastically but, of course, he played 50 minutes and 90 minutes is different. I was very happy with him and also with Matteo Darmian. He has played only three minutes coming off the bench and onto the pitch because I wanted to make another change. He did well also when he had to come on. I have given a lot of compliments to my players.

Crowd reaction to Fellaini substitution
    I think [Marouane] Fellaini played, again, a good match. He performed well in our game-plan so that [the crowd reaction] was disappointing but it was the only moment that I was disappointed. The fans were supporting our side in spite of two losses this week. Maybe they have another opinion to me.

Bastian did more in 10min than he did in 70 min. Was he jeered by the crowd when he went off?

He sure did, in fact, Id go so far as to say he did more in every minute he got on the pitch by helping big time with the goal.

I am sure someone in crowd jeered, someone always does :) Like the muppet watching the game in front of me today, every time the ball went near Smalling he shouted, "goway Smelling you donkey"

Very hard to get complete unity in anything football related really.

TheDoc wrote: »
    You don't stack to a side, on a 25-30 yard free kick. More central as he should, and he would have made it. He was only a few inches of as is.

Its a big nit pick, just understand where Scholes was coming from, felt the same.

Separate point, jeering Fellaini, was pretty sad to hear form our fans. He was given the opportunity to play for United, which most players wouldn't turn down. He tries, it hasn't worked out for him, but to jeer him is pretty disheartening to hear.

Leave that **** to the self centered Madrid fans. We should be supporting our players.

He was hiding instead of looking for the ball. If he gets the ball and messes up fair enough, but to not look for the ball and put yourself in positions where you cannot receive the ball is not acceptable. He has to leave in the summer

• Advertisement

He was hiding instead of looking for the ball. If he gets the ball and messes up fair enough, but to not look for the ball and put yourself in positions where you cannot receive the ball is not acceptable. He has to leave in the summer

Nonsense. Utter nonsense.

Tbh I was very annoyed hearing jeers when he went off.

I say something if Fellaini was not trying or acting the prick.

Meh, he gets it from a section of United fans, and I use that term quite loosely, and he always gets it from the opposition too, and West Ham had 9000 very vocal fans there today.

Nonsense. Utter nonsense.

Text book example of how valid points become negated by ****e.

Meh, he gets it from a section of United fans, and I use that term quite loosely, and he always gets it from the opposition too, and West Ham had 9000 very vocal fans there today.

It's not West Ham fans I'm annoyed with, more our own, but like you say he will get it from a section alright.

Meh, I've always been of the opinion that if you pay the money to go to a game, you can boo or cheer whoever you want. Its your right, as a money paying fan, to voice your opinions.

What I don't like is how it's only Fel getting that abuse; he's far from being the worst recently. There's plenty of players who should be getting that treatment, and the manager in a big way too. I reckon its that, rightly or wrongly, Fel will forever be tainted as "The Moyes Guy" so gets singled out from the crowd unfairly.

The club is very lucky that the fans haven't turned and revolted in a big way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I just want this horrible season to be over and finally Jose to take over

Text book example of how valid points become negated by ****e.

Not sure if you are talking about me or Bangkok but what he said about Fellaini hiding so to not get the ball is nonsense IMO as is a lot of the rest of his post.

Not sure if you are talking about me or Bangkok but what he said about Fellaini hiding so to not get the ball is nonsense IMO as is a lot of the rest of his post.

I meant him of course, saying Fellaini had a poor game today is a fair comment, saying he was hiding so as not to get the ball is an example of how a good point can be negated by ****e.

Headshot wrote: »
    I just want this horrible season to be over and finally Jose to take over

So you don't agree with LVG that the fans enjoyed today?

You just have a preconceived notion of Fellaini, so you see everything he does differently. Maybe like with me and Carrick I think he is dog****, and everything he does I only see the negative in it.

But the difference between us is once in a while I'll share my Carrick hatred, but not the point where it becomes parody.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement